Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
- my 5k post -
And in the Starwood forum, exactly where it belongs. Congrats, CE.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Hooray for 5K!

Yes, I'm making my way through the individual threads now. The Westin River North thread has turned me off to that property.

Blissworld's pics of the Marvelous Suite at the WCC have piqued my interest there. Since it's the weekend, maybe we'd have a better shot at an upgrade.

Will check out Westin Michigan Ave and W Lakeshore next.

Thanks for the information!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by swise
Hooray for 5K!

Yes, I'm making my way through the individual threads now. The Westin River North thread has turned me off to that property.

Blissworld's pics of the Marvelous Suite at the WCC have piqued my interest there. Since it's the weekend, maybe we'd have a better shot at an upgrade.

Will check out Westin Michigan Ave and W Lakeshore next.

Thanks for the information!
I wouldn't exactly be turned of by the WRN, I had a very good stay there. the WCC, might be going thru renovations. Also, the WCC is away from the action and it pretty quiet in that area after business hours and on weekends.

Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by vandalby
I haven't stayed at the Westin River North, but can tell you that the W City Center is in the loop, which is going to be pretty dead during nights and weekends. Plus, there is a lot of variability in the room size at the City Center, so you could end up with some pretty tight quarters.

I'd probably recommend the W Lakeshore for your requirements. It's a 3 - 4 block walk to get to Michigan Ave and the associated shopping, there are a number of good restaurants in the Streeterville area (and Michigan Ave in general). You can pick up plenty of buses on Michigan to get down to the museums (about 10 minutes or so once on the bus).

Typically, the W Lakeshore has been good with Platinum recognition and Plats can regularly score a suite upgrade assuming capacity isn't too jammed up.

Assuming you end up at the River North, you're still in a good spot. Lots of good restaurants in the River North area and easy accessability to touristy things such as the architectural cruises. You may want to check the Westin River North master thread to confirm if the lounge is still operating.
Westin RN lounge is still open. I have a stay next weekend. I had my PC check prior to booking.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swise
My husband and I are planning to redeem some of our free weekend night awards in Chicago, so money isn't an object (since we're not paying. hee hee.). Given this and his platinum status, can anyone suggest what Starwood option in Chicago would be best for us?

I'm not sure what we'll be doing yet. Probably some museuming, definitely some family visiting and most likely some good eating.

The Westin River North and the W City Center are the two highest category choices. I tend to like a lot of the perks of Ws (e.g. the Bliss junk and the room design), and it looks like there's more of a chance of a better upgrade there than at the River North... but I also like lounge access. How is the lounge at the Westin?

Should we consider any other category options, or are is the Westin River North and the W City Center really the best of the lot these days?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
For a weekend stay, I'd also recommend other locations over WCC.
As others have mentioned, this area will be a little more "dead" on weekends, as it's in more of a business district than the other hotels. The hotels north of the river are closer to the main shopping and dining areas of downtown.

I've stayed at the Four Points, Westin River North and the Sheraton. Sheraton has never let me down in terms of service, and has always upgraded me to nicely sized suites. Four Points location is great, walkable to so many things. Most of the north-of-the-river properties are very walkable to a lot of attractions.

I'm actually going to be in Chicago this weekend too, for a friend's wedding, but will be staying at the Swissotel (across the river from Sheraton!). I TRIED to convince them to have the reception at the Sheraton or any other SPG property, but no dice.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
I will be coming from MKE on a Saturday evening or early Sunday morning. Rates downtown are out of my price range Sat night ($200+). Will be staying at Sheraton Towers the next three nights for business, tho.

The 4 Points at ORD is only $62 after taxes for that night?! Other nights seem rather inexpensive, as well. What's the deal with this place? Would it really be that much of an inconvenience to take an Airport Express to ORD or Amtrak to Union and then the L to ORD when I am going downtown the following morning? 4 points has 24/7 shuttle to/from the airport, so that seems convenient enough.

Anyway, I know staying downtown would be easier, but not for an extra $150. Of course, this decision could change based on what the Q2 promo will be!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The 4P ORD is cheap because the ORD neighborhood is not in high demand on Sat. night!
Don't backtrack via downtown. Take the Airport Express to ORD on Sat., the L to downtown on Sun., then Amtrak back to Milwaukee on Wed.!
A single L fare costs $2.25, but U can get a 72-hour pass for $14. Clock starts when U first use it. More details here!

I like a small tavern called the Mirabel on Addison 4 blocks east of the Addison Blue Line stop between ORD & downtown, but it isn't a Sat. night hotspot. More of a Mon. or Tue. conversational pub owned by Germans & I speak German!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
The 4P ORD is cheap because the ORD neighborhood is not in high demand on Sat. night!
Don't backtrack via downtown. Take the Airport Express to ORD on Sat., the L to downtown on Sun., then Amtrak back to Milwaukee on Wed.!
A single L fare costs $2.25, but U can get a 72-hour pass for $14. Clock starts when U first use it. More details here!

I like a small tavern called the Mirabel on Addison 4 blocks east of the Addison Blue Line stop between ORD & downtown, but it isn't a Sat. night hotspot. More of a Mon. or Tue. conversational pub owned by Germans & I speak German!
Thanks, Brendan, I've just never seen an SPG property advertised that low, before! I actually don't HAVE to backtrack thru MKE. I'm only going to Milwaukee first so I can see a Brewers game (and mark them off my list of MLB teams/stadiums to see) and tour the city for a day before my conference. Plus it's $100+ cheaper than flying into CHI and easy to convince the boss Will also by seeing the Chi Sox Wed night, but I'm not sure where my next move after that will be. I'm hoping for a MR to come up leaving the 20th, then fly back the 22nd or 23rd, and then back to CHA from MKE or CHI

Last edited by mrredskin; Mar 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton
redskin you may want to check the Aloft O'Hare which has had alot of cheap prices as of late especially if you also are a AAA member. It is only about 1/2 from the blue line and they also have a shuttle and it is a much nicer property than the 4 points although the 4 points was better than I thought it was. Hope you enjoy Miller Park it is a great stadium but being from Milwaukee I am a bit biased :-).
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by stevenbym
redskin you may want to check the Aloft O'Hare which has had alot of cheap prices as of late especially if you also are a AAA member. It is only about 1/2 from the blue line and they also have a shuttle and it is a much nicer property than the 4 points although the 4 points was better than I thought it was. Hope you enjoy Miller Park it is a great stadium but being from Milwaukee I am a bit biased :-).
i did check that, but after taxes it was at least $30+ more expensive. it's just going to be a stopover for me, so i just need a decent place to sleep for the night. i would get the westin northwest ($65/night) but being 12 miles west of o'hare, i dont think they have a free shuttle i've heard good things about miller. definitely looking forward to it!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Don't forget to check for BRGs. I got the Westin Michigan Ave for $136 on a weeknight (found at www.gtahotels.com) while the lowest SPG rate was $189.

So an extra 2000 pts and a credit toward the current $100 Amazon/Westin promo.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:56 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mrredskin
i did check that, but after taxes it was at least $30+ more expensive. it's just going to be a stopover for me, so i just need a decent place to sleep for the night. i would get the westin northwest ($65/night) but being 12 miles west of o'hare, i dont think they have a free shuttle i've heard good things about miller. definitely looking forward to it!
NO free shuttle. The only 2 I think with a free shuttle are the 4 points ORD and the Sheraton Gateway Suites ORD.

The rates at the Westin Chicago NW are good as well but no free shuttle.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Don't forget to check for BRGs. I got the Westin Michigan Ave for $136 on a weeknight (found at www.gtahotels.com) while the lowest SPG rate was $189.

So an extra 2000 pts and a credit toward the current $100 Amazon/Westin promo.
I believe that promo ends on the 13th, and my first stay for this trip would be on the 14th in MKE and the 15th in CHI

I checked the gta site. they had ZERO *wood hotels on there for that Wed night!

Last edited by mrredskin; Mar 4, 2010 at 6:06 am
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by schley
NO free shuttle. The only 2 I think with a free shuttle are the 4 points ORD and the Sheraton Gateway Suites ORD.

The rates at the Westin Chicago NW are good as well but no free shuttle.
If I were renting a car, I would definitely stay at the NW. However, that's currently not part of my itinerary so the 4P ORD will probably be my best bet for this night. Heck, saving money this night COULD allow me to spend a little more the following Wed. after the Chi Sox game, depending on where I go the next day!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:23 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by schley
NO free shuttle. The only 2 I think with a free shuttle are the 4 points ORD and the Sheraton Gateway Suites ORD...
The following ORD area hotel offer airport shuttle. Consult the links for details.
The Westin O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1032

Aloft Chicago O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3124

Sheraton Gateway Suites Chicago O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...?propertyID=40

Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport
offers airport shuttle but it is not listed on their transportation web page.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=849
It is listed on the main page.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=849

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Apr 2, 2010 at 7:48 am Reason: correction on 4PTs as suggested by schley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.