Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:57 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
The following ORD area hotel offer airport shuttle. Consult the links for details.
The Westin O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1032

Aloft Chicago O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=3124

Sheraton Gateway Suites Chicago O'Hare
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...?propertyID=40

Lurkers please note that the
Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport
offers airport shuttle but it is not listed on their web page.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=849
I forgot about the A loft. The Four points does list complimentary shuttle it is on their welcome overview page. Plus I have called them to verify.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...propertyID=849
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: Starwood - Platinum; Hyatt - Platinum; Continental - Gold; Delta - Gold; Hertz - Platinum
Which Starwood property in Chicago?

I was not able to find a thread about this topic, though am sure one exists somewhere, but...

I will be in Chicago for business this week and am trying to determine which Starwood property I should stay at. As long as I am located in the city itself, location is not too important to me, as I am trying to get the most out of my time in Chicago. I am currently booked at the Westin Chicago River North but am leaning toward changing that to the W Downtown.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by brine49
I was not able to find a thread about this topic, though am sure one exists somewhere, but...

I will be in Chicago for business this week and am trying to determine which Starwood property I should stay at. As long as I am located in the city itself, location is not too important to me, as I am trying to get the most out of my time in Chicago. I am currently booked at the Westin Chicago River North but am leaning toward changing that to the W Downtown.

Thanks
Welcome to FT.

Here is a good start: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by brine49

Thanks
You should have posted here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Please use the FAQ thread at the top of the first page.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by schley
The Four points does list complimentary shuttle it is on their welcome overview page. Plus I have called them to verify.
I stayed at the Four Points a few months back and they do indeed have a shuttle.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:09 pm

Help needed for Chicago - want to spend no more than 10K SPG/night

I am taking my husband on a surprise birthday weekend trip to Chicago from 9/10-9/12 and perhaps there are a lot of conventions in town or something because I can't seem to find a deal at any Starwood hotels. Every hotel downtown is over $200+ per night and no cash and points redemption available for those dates so I think I'm going to have to go with points this time round.

So my question is:

Which hotel is better for using 10k pts a night? (in terms of value, quality, though not upgradability as I am a mere preferred status)

Sheraton Hotel and Towers
Four Points by Sheraton
W Lakeshore
Westin Michigan Avenue

Or is it worth going up to 12k pts for any of these hotels?

W City Center
Westin Chicago River North

We'll be walking around downtown for some shopping, maybe going to on a boat tour, Wicker Park and going to a White Sox game as well.

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Emirates Gold
The 12th is DA BEARS season opener - could be a factor in why deals are scarce.

Sorry I can't help with the hotel choice, haven't stayed in any of them.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The FAQ thread is the place to start

Lots of good information.

Based on what you wrote, I would do with either of the Westin Properties.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:37 pm

Thank you! I did read that thread as well as the other individual threads for each hotel and that's probably why I feel even more confused now haha. A lot of the pluses that are talked about here are due to upgrades (getting a corner suite, upgrade availability, extra amenities etc) which will be awesome as soon as I aim for gold :-:

I did like the Westin properties when I looked at the sites, just got side tracked by the W Lakeshore (prices are higher but I can't quite figure out why)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snowymt
Thank you! I did read that thread as well as the other individual threads for each hotel and that's probably why I feel even more confused now haha. A lot of the pluses that are talked about here are due to upgrades (getting a corner suite, upgrade availability, extra amenities etc) which will be awesome as soon as I aim for gold :-:

I did like the Westin properties when I looked at the sites, just got side tracked by the W Lakeshore (prices are higher but I can't quite figure out why)
Did you read my reviews, in those threads? Avoid the W Lakeshore!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I've stayed at all of them. My favorite by FAR is W Lakeshore. I've spent several birthdays there and other dates, and I can't think of any other Starwood hotel that has been better to me. (Le Meridien Cancun and Park Lane Sheraton come close, but they don't equal it.)

My problem is that I have stayed at W Lakeshore and been treated like a queen, so the other Chicago area hotels pale in comparison. On my 40th birthday, election night for Barack Obama in Chicago with ALL of those celebs in town, I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the lake. Granted, I had a large party with me, and I'd stayed there many times previously, but they didn't forget a thing.

If you choose it, be sure to email them and tell them you're coming for a special celebration. They've been amazing to me each time I've stayed and as a Plat I always get a suite UG. I spent many nights there one year and I got to know some of the people working there. They even sent me a baby gift when my son was born last year!

Yet, even if I hadn't earned any special favors, I would recommend this hotel. It's classy, the rooms are beautiful and the lake view suites are just magnificent. The people working there are kind, caring, and make sure you know they're hoping to make your stay as perfect as possible.

Be sure to contact the concierge if you plan on seeing what all is going on while you are there. I've seen some wonderful shows and it was their concierge who recommended my favorite restaurant to me. If you like Italian, try Petterinos. It's in theater area so reservations are recommended, but it's incredibly good food.

Feel free to IM me for more stories about how great this hotel is, and how wonderful they made my stays. And as far as the other hotels go, I would say the Westin is okay as Westins go, but I liked the Sheraton better. Forget the other W. My last stay was 2 years ago with my niece (W Lakeshore was full) and they didn't even get the room right! I had reserved a room with 2 doubles and requested an UG if possible. The room we were given had one bed, the room was smaller than a NYC hotel room, and the people at the desk were un-W-like as they were actually rude. Maybe all of them were having a bad night, but you don't take it out on a Platinum Guest. (Or anyone else, for that matter!)

They couldn't find even one room with 2 beds, then wanted to charge for a rollaway. I was thrilled to leave the next day for W Lakeshore. The difference was like night and day. This was also during the special WTHECARD program & I was a member. Maybe that is why their attitudes bothered me even more.

If you want a bit more of a classy feel, go with Lakeshore. Otherwise, Sheraton is pretty nice. But DO mention to the concierge or someone else if you're celebrating. They treat Plats well. There are always isolated cases of people who have a bad stay, but really, after umpteen stays, I've NEVER had a problem and have always been treated well.

I'm driving past Chicago next week and we're staying at the O'Hare Sheraton, but I sure wish I had the time to drive in and stay at W Lakeshore!
Good Luck!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:42 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
For pure location, the Westin NMA is by far the best but it's kind of generic inside. (Hint: the #70 Division bus to Wicker Park begins in front of the Newberry Library, a few blocks west of the Westin. Check ctabustracker.com for arrival times.) The W Lakeshore and Sheraton are nearby, but require a few blocks' walk to get to most shops, etc.; the Four Points is a nice location, but it's a Four Points.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:09 am

Thank you for merging the threads!

And thanks everyone for your answers. There are so many differing viewpoints )

Thaliajen--I think your previous posts on Lakeshore were what had me stuck on them. But...I have no status and therefore do not expect that type of treatment. The view does look amazing.

As for the Four Points--I'm so tempted to go with them just because Trader Joes is so close by! I feel like a kid in a candy store anytime I get to go to a city with a TJs.

For the best use of my points I think I may go with the Westin on Michigan Avenue for hopefully a comfortable room and great location as we'll be walking/taking public transportation everywhere. I will be sure to post back and review wherever we stay!

Thank you for all the thoughts!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by snowymt
Thank you for merging the threads!

And thanks everyone for your answers. There are so many differing viewpoints )

Thaliajen--I think your previous posts on Lakeshore were what had me stuck on them. But...I have no status and therefore do not expect that type of treatment. The view does look amazing.

As for the Four Points--I'm so tempted to go with them just because Trader Joes is so close by! I feel like a kid in a candy store anytime I get to go to a city with a TJs.

For the best use of my points I think I may go with the Westin on Michigan Avenue for hopefully a comfortable room and great location as we'll be walking/taking public transportation everywhere. I will be sure to post back and review wherever we stay!

Thank you for all the thoughts!
Yes experience vary. Thaliajen has had great stays there an I am at the other end of the spectrum. I wouldn't set foot on the property if it was the last hotel in Illinois! Also, I've been treated very, very well at the W City Center.

For you, I would try the Westin River North as its conveniently located and has a lounge.

I had some recent Chicago stays. Maybe I'll update the threads.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I'll be there

the night of the 11th - for DA BEARS of course. It's also the Chicago Half Marathon apparently on the 12th. As an FYI, when I earned my first FWN in early May, I immediately booked it for this exact weekend - and the ONLY availability (points, cash, or C+P) among the four Ws/Westins was the W City Center.

However, in the past few weeks room has opened up at the Westin River North - but only Deluxe rooms (and not Traditional) so you can't use FWNs.

Hoping for some cancellations in the next few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.