Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2008, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I haven't seen much here lately regarding the Four Points, so any feedback would be appreciated. That said, my stay is tomorrow and only a horror story between now and 4PM CDT would have me changing my mind. Only staying one night. The 10000 StarPoints is not in-line with the room cost, so we're paying for the room.

Booked a room for $100, including parking. Since they normally charge $34 a night for self-park it was a much better deal than the $93.50 AAA rate (not including parking) for tomorrow night. We're driving down from the MSN area.

Just there for one night -- going to the Flyers/Blackhawks game at the United Center after a day of shopping/eating. If anyone can suggest the best way to the United Center from this hotel, I'd appreciate it (taxi, self-drive, public transport all are options).
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I haven't seen much here lately regarding the Four Points, so any feedback would be appreciated. That said, my stay is tomorrow and only a horror story between now and 4PM CDT would have me changing my mind. Only staying one night. The 10000 StarPoints is not in-line with the room cost, so we're paying for the room.

Booked a room for $100, including parking. Since they normally charge $34 a night for self-park it was a much better deal than the $93.50 AAA rate (not including parking) for tomorrow night. We're driving down from the MSN area.

Just there for one night -- going to the Flyers/Blackhawks game at the United Center after a day of shopping/eating. If anyone can suggest the best way to the United Center from this hotel, I'd appreciate it (taxi, self-drive, public transport all are options).
My sister and hubby stayed there not long ago. They were happy with it, but then they live in a smaller town than Columbus, WI.

A taxi would be cheaper than driving and parking, unless you find a place on the street or park in a more distant lot. R/T taxi would be a maximum of $20-$25. But, you'd have to be patient for the trip home because of the difficulty of getting one back (crowds). I'd be happy to give you a lift (I live halfway in between) but I'm collecting POG for Mary. The Red line down to Madison street and then the Madison bus is cheapest, but then you're dealing with crowds and cold. Driving is probably the most efficient thing to do. It's probably about 2 miles from your hotel. Another option is that you could always do dinner at a place like Carmichael's (a steak house with complimentary parking and a free shuttle to the UC).

http://www.carmichaelsteakhouse.com/menus.html

Last edited by ILuvParis; Dec 25, 2008 at 11:49 am
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
My sister and hubby stayed there not long ago. They were happy with it, but then they live in a smaller town than Columbus, WI.
New construction on a golf course makes me forget I'm in a town of <5000 people.

Regarding hotels: I'm a snob, though.

The location is good, though, for some midday shopping and lunch, so that's why I picked it. I really liked the W Lakeshore, but it's more than I want to pay in either money or points.

Thanks for the tip on the steakhouse.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 1:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
Considering W City Center or Westin Michigan Avenue?

Hi, I will be doing a quick run to Chicago in March (checking in Sunday, checking out Monday). I won't be driving (I am taking Amtrak, arriving at Chicago Union Station). At the time, I will be SPG Gold (being downgraded from Platinum ). I'm trying to do this relatively inexpensively (but still stay at a Starwood hotel and to get the stay credit).

I had originally booked a room at the W Chicago City Center for $159+tax (and am still leaning to that --this 40-something rarely gets to stay at a W). However, there is a $118+tax AAA rate at the Westin Michigan Avenue.

It looks as if the two hotels are fairly far apart. I originally picked the W City Center because it was close to Chicago Union Station, and the museums I am interested in. On the other hand, I don't mind taking public transit to get from the Westin to the museums while still being able to do some shopping/other sightseeing near the Westin.

My train is scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 8:40 a.m. on Sunday morning; my train back home leaves Chicago at 7:05 p.m. on Monday night.

I suppose the Westin's location is better for shopping/sightseeing/dining, while the W's location is better for being close to the museums and to Union Station. Having never spent any time in Chicago, I'd like your thoughts.

Yes, Cheap Elite, I have read this thread, the Chicago - Westin Michigan Avenue thread, the Chicago - W City Center thread, and even the Chicago - Which W -- City Center or Lakeshore? thread.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by DivMiler
Hi, I will be doing a quick run to Chicago in March (checking in Sunday, checking out Monday). I won't be driving (I am taking Amtrak, arriving at Chicago Union Station). At the time, I will be SPG Gold (being downgraded from Platinum ). I'm trying to do this relatively inexpensively (but still stay at a Starwood hotel and to get the stay credit).

I had originally booked a room at the W Chicago City Center for $159+tax (and am still leaning to that --this 40-something rarely gets to stay at a W). However, there is a $118+tax AAA rate at the Westin Michigan Avenue.

It looks as if the two hotels are fairly far apart. I originally picked the W City Center because it was close to Chicago Union Station, and the museums I am interested in. On the other hand, I don't mind taking public transit to get from the Westin to the museums while still being able to do some shopping/other sightseeing near the Westin.

My train is scheduled to arrive in Chicago at 8:40 a.m. on Sunday morning; my train back home leaves Chicago at 7:05 p.m. on Monday night.

I suppose the Westin's location is better for shopping/sightseeing/dining, while the W's location is better for being close to the museums and to Union Station. Having never spent any time in Chicago, I'd like your thoughts.

Yes, Cheap Elite, I have read this thread, the Chicago - Westin Michigan Avenue thread, the Chicago - W City Center thread, and even the Chicago - Which W -- City Center or Lakeshore? thread.
Oh great. Single me out! LOL

Did you check the Westin River North? It has a lounge. For one night I would even check out the Four Points, it's decent reviews.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

What museums are you looking to visit? They aren't all that far apart, in general. Most stuff downtown is a $4-8 cab ride to any other spot. You could do some serious cabbing/L riding for the $40+ difference.

And I don't know how close the museums really are to Union Station.

I'd probably pick Michigan Ave.

And of course there's the Sheraton on the river, too.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:00 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I would also add that the W City Center has the Acura service that will at least drive you to your destination. It's a very short walk from Union Station to City Center. I've had great success at most of the Chicago properties and each one definitely has it's pluses/minuses as you pointed out already. It's all a matter of what kind of environment and locale you want.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SleepDoc
I would also add that the W City Center has the Acura service that will at least drive you to your destination. It's a very short walk from Union Station to City Center. I've had great success at most of the Chicago properties and each one definitely has it's pluses/minuses as you pointed out already. It's all a matter of what kind of environment and locale you want.
Good catch SD, I always forget about the Acura service. ^ ^
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
What museums are you looking to visit? They aren't all that far apart, in general. Most stuff downtown is a $4-8 cab ride to any other spot. You could do some serious cabbing/L riding for the $40+ difference.
At a minimum, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute of Chicago. Also, I'd like to go to the Hancock or Sears Towers as well as do some shopping. I'm gathering the W is not in a lively place in town (though I note that it'll be in the city Sunday night).

Originally Posted by SleepDoc
I don't remember reading about an "Acura Service". (pause) I now see the "Acura Experience" at the W City Center's website. Is this, in practice, a local hotel shuttle? Do they do pick up and drop off? Would I have to reserve it?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
At a minimum, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute of Chicago. Also, I'd like to go to the Hancock or Sears Towers as well as do some shopping.
All that is walking distance (assuming no rain), except for MSI which is a 15-minute train ride from Michigan/Randolph (www.metrarail.com, the Metra Electric Line).

MSI is one of my favorite places on earth. Fantastic museum, one of the best anywhere. My son was basically brought up there. I have been to MSI literally hundreds of times (used to live 12 blocks away). PM me for more if you like.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 6:56 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
At a minimum, the Museum of Science and Industry and the Art Institute of Chicago. Also, I'd like to go to the Hancock or Sears Towers as well as do some shopping. I'm gathering the W is not in a lively place in town (though I note that it'll be in the city Sunday night).
Yeah you're correct, City Center is not the liveliest on the weekends hence usually cheaper rates vs Lakeshore but as you noted very close to the museums. Sunday I'm gathering would be really dead in the area but the Living Room area IMHO is much more stylish and overall better place to relax and enjoy some drinks then the W Lakeshore.

I don't remember reading about an "Acura Service". (pause) I now see the "Acura Experience" at the W City Center's website. Is this, in practice, a local hotel shuttle? Do they do pick up and drop off? Would I have to reserve it?
Yep! That's the what I'm talking about... usually they'll just do a drop-off. On occasion I have had success at other W hotels and had the Acura folks arrange for a pick-up. YMMV. Also it's a limited service as far as hours. I think typically on the weekends when I've used them they're available after 11-12 to mid to late evening. You may want to contact City Center if you stay there and see what their hours of operation of the service.

If you're on a budget then the Westin Michigan Avenue might be up your alley as it's a cheaper rate. It's one of the few Starwoods I haven't stayed at in Chicago so I can't really comment on the hotel itself but it seems to get fairly decent reviews. You can easily take the bus from the Westin to the museum district. It's a straight shot, very easy to use and a lot cheaper than taking the cabs. Also the vice versa is true if you stay at the W if the Acura service isn't running... short walk to Michigan Ave, take the bus to do your shopping on the Mag mile and you're golden!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
It looks as if the two hotels are fairly far apart. I originally picked the W City Center because it was close to Chicago Union Station, and the museums I am interested in. On the other hand, I don't mind taking public transit to get from the Westin to the museums while still being able to do some shopping/other sightseeing near the Westin [Michigan Avenue].
Assuming you weren't just here yesterday and are staying at the Westin Michigan Avenue [MA], here are the bus route numbers you want:
#151 goes from Union Station to the Westin MA (you want the stop just after the Hancock Center), and right by the Sears Tower (although the Hancock has a better view, and booze)
#145, 147, 151 go from Westin MA to Art Institute; take the #3 back, or just walk the one mile.
#10 (only on Sunday) goes direct from the Westin MA to the Museum of Science & Industry. On Monday, take a #146 south, across the river, and at the first stop transfer to the #6. On the way back, take the #6 back to the Art Institute.

For the W City Center, use the #151 to get to Union Station or the Hancock, walk to Sears Tower and the Art Institute, and take either the #6 or #10 buses south from State Street to the MSI.

You can buy a CTA farecard or visitor pass at Union Station, from a machine near Metra's ticket counters.

Last edited by paytonc; Mar 3, 2009 at 9:43 pm
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Have a short stay coming in May, currently choosing between the Sheraton H&T vs the 4Pts Downtown. However, have an early flight out (8am), and looking at catching the subway/train to ORD. Should I go to an ORD hotel the night before or just have a really early start from downtown?
Old Mar 13, 2009, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Question

Originally Posted by Leumas
Have a short stay coming in May, currently choosing between the Sheraton H&T vs the 4Pts Downtown. However, have an early flight out (8am), and looking at catching the subway/train to ORD. Should I go to an ORD hotel the night before or just have a really early start from downtown?
Thats a question you have to ask yourself. Can you get up and leave on time to make it to ORD and get through security??

In addition, the Blue Line runs south of where the Sheraton and Four Points are located, so you would need to buid in walk and wait time from either of those properties to the Clark St. station.
Old Mar 13, 2009, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by paytonc
Assuming you weren't just here yesterday and are staying at the Westin Michigan Avenue [MA], here are the bus route numbers you want:

Thanks -- I was there the weekend of March 7. In the end, I stayed at the Four Points Magnificent Mile. I had a good time there. I'm now SPG Gold, but I made the reservation before I was downgraded, and I was greeted as a Platinum -- "Would you like the points?" I said yes, of course, but I didn't get the Platinum Amenity in the end . Perhaps I should have asked for the free movie. I did get a Junior Suite on the 8th floor with a reasonable view.

I picked the Four Points because the price was ($5) cheaper than the Westin, ($112 AAA rate), it had free Internet, and it was more in-between where I wanted to go than either the Westin or the W City Center. Also, it offered an extra 500 points in the Night after Night promotion (I know, so did the Westin).

I would gladly stay there again. It's funny, I probably wouldn't have stayed there if I was still Platinum. A difference of 250 Starpoints in Platinum amenity would have made a difference. I might have enjoyed the Westin, but I know I enjoyed being at the Four Points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.