FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chicago Area Hotels 2007 on [Master Thread]
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:44 pm
i love snowboarding

Programs: UA, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swise
My husband and I are planning to redeem some of our free weekend night awards in Chicago, so money isn't an object (since we're not paying. hee hee.). Given this and his platinum status, can anyone suggest what Starwood option in Chicago would be best for us?

I'm not sure what we'll be doing yet. Probably some museuming, definitely some family visiting and most likely some good eating.

The Westin River North and the W City Center are the two highest category choices. I tend to like a lot of the perks of Ws (e.g. the Bliss junk and the room design), and it looks like there's more of a chance of a better upgrade there than at the River North... but I also like lounge access. How is the lounge at the Westin?

Should we consider any other category options, or are is the Westin River North and the W City Center really the best of the lot these days?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
For a weekend stay, I'd also recommend other locations over WCC.
As others have mentioned, this area will be a little more "dead" on weekends, as it's in more of a business district than the other hotels. The hotels north of the river are closer to the main shopping and dining areas of downtown.

I've stayed at the Four Points, Westin River North and the Sheraton. Sheraton has never let me down in terms of service, and has always upgraded me to nicely sized suites. Four Points location is great, walkable to so many things. Most of the north-of-the-river properties are very walkable to a lot of attractions.

I'm actually going to be in Chicago this weekend too, for a friend's wedding, but will be staying at the Swissotel (across the river from Sheraton!). I TRIED to convince them to have the reception at the Sheraton or any other SPG property, but no dice.