Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels near Newark Airport EWR, NJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

SpringHill Suites EWR email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels near Newark Airport EWR, NJ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Isn't Avis at stop P1?

Bruce
Old Jul 6, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Isn't Avis at stop P1?

Bruce
You could be right but it is just one more stop. There are maps in the Air Tran so you don't get lost

P1 or P2 it is!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by davidash
Avis is one of the stops on the AirTran (P2). Take the Airtran to the first terminal stop (A1) and go down stairs to baggage claim and cross the street for the shuttle.

Another method is to check into the Mar first and tell the shuttle driver to pick you up at Avis -- a $5 handshake should see the shuttle right behind you as you pull into Avis
Or, if money is no object....
...the Marriott has an "official" program where they will return your car for you, leave the bill at the p'ing valet stand or front desk - all for a $25 charge that can either be paid in cash or put on your room bill.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Quick trip Report...EWR Marriott FS

Not sure if this should be a new thread or no...feel free to relocate

Last weekend mom and I were due to disembark from a cruise...during (or following) a huge snowstorm (which wasn't THAT bad in THAT area..) Since I was unable to contact our snowplow service from the middle of the Atlantic to determine if the driveway would be plowed we opted to stay over near EWR as I presumed that the area would be cleared of snow sooner than our home would be!

I decided on the Full Service airport hotel due to availability of food. I'd booked an accessible room a couple days ahead as soon as I heard about the "blizzard." We arrived around 10-10:30 AM and were able to check in, although the staff at the desk was NOT nice in the least. (This stay was 12/20/09).

My reservation had guaranteed the accessible room...but the clerk asked "oh you need an accessible room????" DUH!!! That's what it SAYS!!

I was not welcomed as a MR member, Plat or Plat Premier....nor was I offered the card (or choice of) for an arrival amenity. At this point, my mind was made up that if it was not offered later, or if the attitudes of the associates didn't improve, I'd be asking for my compensation (for only the 2nd time ever).

We got to the room and the bed was WAAAYYYY too high. I called the desk and no one, not even the MOD knew if all the beds were that high. And in an accessible room????? This bed was at least 5-6 inches higher than any other bed in any other Marriott. And the response from the MOD was "I DON'T KNOW"... NEVER ever say that to a guest....the respone should be, "let me find out for you and I will call you back!"

The people at the desk were VERY nasty and unwilling to help. It was like pulling teeth. I got the stock "well check in is at 4 PM normally...." PUH-LEESE, that was NOT the issue......I can't believe how uninformed and unhelpful these two were..(ok, I can.... )

So, I got the very nice "At your service" ladies to track down the housekeeping supervisor. In less than 5 minutes he called my room, arrived AT my room and removed the legs! Kudos!

I ordered a late room service breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc) which arrived in about 10 minutes, hot, fresh and delicious. (For 20 bucks it better have been!

Went to take a shower later, and the handle fell off in my hand. Leads me to believe that the housekeeper didn't run the water when she "cleaned" the shower as there was no way this would have gone unnoticed. (I WAS a housekeeping manager for Marriot...believe me, the person WOULD have had the same thing happen if she'd used the water!)

Got that fixed. Called for extra pillows....which, while having normal pillowcases on the outside, were actually encased in a vinyl covering. (NOT a pillow cover that was removeable...the fabric with which the pillow was made was actually vinyl. YUCK!) I think I called 2 additional times to get FEATHER pillows.....

The offerings in the lounge that night were 1) late and 2) mini hot dogs in pastry and lots of veggies and cheese...nice display but at LEAST 20 minutes late. Dessert...cookies and brownies was also 30 minutes late! The attendant never mingled with guests, in fact she was on the phone in the kitchen most of the time. (I went over to the airport and got Subway for dinner....)

Monday morning provided a TOTALLY different staff experience. It was almost as if I was in a different hotel. Helpful people all around. The morning display in the CL had bacon, eggs, oatmeal, LOTS of pastries, breads etc...(the danish were REALLY yummy!) And a VERY nice attendant who refilled everything, even at NINE AM, when the lounge was supposed to close...(there were lots of guests still there, he took care of them!)

The doorman and front desk agent spent an hour working on transportation for me (needed a wheelchair accessible vehicle...that's another story.) These individuals were truly helpful and, when I mentioned the difference in attitude, didn't seem totally surprised!

As I had not gotten my arrival gift, and I had been very annoyed with the hotel upon arrival, I decided to invoke my elite benefits guarantee. The FOM said, well they gave you bonus points. I said, "I swear I wasn't asked...show me the card where I chose the points"..[Sunday had been one of those rare days when I REALLY wanted beer and ice cream too!]..I also explained that, had the staff that worked Sunday been HALF as nice and helpful as the Monday staff, I would NOT be asking for my $100...I would have cut them a break and mentioned that I didn't get my gift sometime Sunday afternoon....(I also nicely suggested that his Monday AM staff spend some quality time training the Sunday staff as it was a COMPLETE reversal in attitudes and helpfulness)

So the FOM went into the back, and came out a couple minutes later with $100 in cash and a form to sign. I ended up completing 2 comment cards...one bad, and one recognizing the excellent efforts set forth by several associates.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay....but I think in the future I will stick with the CY or RI over by Jersey Gardens (EWR/Elizabeth) For the $98 AAA rate I got I think I did OK (it was only $9 more than the CY-and I had the Concierge lounge at my disposal)

BTW...no WiFi in rooms, TEENY ethernet cables, and no way to get a longer one as there were no AV people around.....there were a couple computers in the lobby for guests to use, there IS WiFi there, but I didn't want to freeze every time the door opened. Also there is a computer in the CL. I will never understand why hotels don't keep a long cable at the desk. (Some do..I generally have one, but left it home due to the cruise! Needed that space!)

The hotel does not have flat screen TVs...didn't really hear any plane noise, but did hear lots from the hallway.

Hope that helps....let me know if you have any questions...
Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
megtravels...

I am so sorry for your bad experience. It seems anyone and everyone who ever set foot in that hotel has had a bad experience. That hotel is among the worst in the chain.

You mentioned sticking with RI or CY, but the FI near EWR is actually very nice and the people there always go above and beyond. It is much nicer than the FS. The Ren is nice, too, but the FI usually has very good rates. The CY by EWR isn't bad, but the FI is exceptionally good.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
megtravels...

I am so sorry for your bad experience. It seems anyone and everyone who ever set foot in that hotel has had a bad experience. That hotel is among the worst in the chain.

You mentioned sticking with RI or CY, but the FI near EWR is actually very nice and the people there always go above and beyond. It is much nicer than the FS. The Ren is nice, too, but the FI usually has very good rates. The CY by EWR isn't bad, but the FI is exceptionally good.

I'll keep that in mind...I usually stick with those other 2 due to the proximity of Ruby Tuesdays (and, when it was open, the diner!). I have heard good things about the FFI though...I also didn't mind the SHS!

Like I said, the morning after it seemed like a totally different hotel. I guess that they are so used to just putting heads in beds they forget that sometimes people actually CHOOSE to stay there!
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
I've just been doing some research for an upcoming stay near EWR before a flight. I thought others might be interested that Tripadvisor has bed bug complaints for each of the Springhill Suites and Renaissance (one complaint for each hotel).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I have stayed at the RI, both CY, and the FS Marriott at EWR. I stay that the Full Service Marriott in the airport, because it is the quietest airport hotel that I can remember being in. The Courtyard South of the airport, the one North and the Residence Inn were like normal properties. I haven't had a bad experience or really good experience with the FS Marriott at EWR so far.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
megtravels...

I guess I am in the minority because I like the EWR Marriott. I have always been treated well there. A little pricey but its worth it to me.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Same here. I've never had a serious problem there. Last stay was Christmas night.

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2009, 7:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Same here. I've never had a serious problem there. Last stay was Christmas night.

Bruce
Granted, I havent' been in the airport FS in a couple years, things may have changed, but on my last two stays...

Here's theTripAdvisor review of my first stay, entitled "Yuck! Worst Hotel Stay. Ever!" It can be found here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ew_Jersey.html

Stayed a second time because coworker chose hotel. Saw street-walker type prostitutes in the lobby and elevator. Two very nasty scantily dressed women, who asked me if I wanted them to stop by my room when they were done visiting their "friend" (one joked that his name was John) in another room. One was rail thin and appeared loopy on drugs. She felt it necessary to "sweeten" the offer by reaching for my chest while telling me it would only be $100 for both girls, as they were already at the hotel.

Granted, this could happen in any hotel, but given the set-up of that hotel, these working women had to walk by the front desk - I was at the desk at the time - and went straight to the lady's room. They should have been stopped before entering the elevator and asked to show a room key. (I've been asked to do this before.) Given that it's Newark, one would think the security would be better. Or, at least, existant.

Bottom line, at the price the FS charges, one would expect better. At less than half the price, I have found better at the FI that is close by. For me, it would never make sense to actually spend more than double the amount in this case.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
EWR: Marriott or Renaissance?

I will be staying at Newark Airport for 2 nights in August. It will be on a Friday and Saturday night. I am a Platinum level member, and was wondering if either Hotel has the Concierge Lounge open on weekends, and if not, do they comp breakfast for Plats..

Any other suggestions for which of the 2 hotels I should stay at would be appreciated.

Thx.

Newman
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I would stay at the Marriott over the Ren at EWR.
Lounge is closed on weekends.
Not sure about comp'ed weekend breakfast - but ask at checkin.

My experience - at Marriott you need to ask for everything when you checkin - such as breakfast coupons and possible suite upgrade. Otherwise they do not offer.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
I have to add a note and say that the EWR Marriott is one of the quietest airport hotels that I have ever been in.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
I have to add a note and say that the EWR Marriott is one of the quietest airport hotels that I have ever been in.
+1 I agree....I haven't stayed at the Ren but I have looked at rooms twice...I just don't care for that hotel for some reason......IMO needs TLC.

The FS is decent though.....no comped breakfast or lounge, but I did order Room Service and it was rather yummy (the eggs were HOT!)

If you need any bell service/transportation, Phil is wonderful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.