Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by silver springer
what Train station for the Danieli? I know you need a water taxi.
It will be Venezia Santa Lucia railway station coming int venice by rail then the water taxi to the Danieli

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 1, 2021, 10:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by dingo
Thanks for this. I’ve had a change of heart actually. I hadn’t realized that Italy backed off the covid testing on arrival. That gives me more comfort that we can make an 11:45 train after landing at 9:05 if we take a car service from mxp to centrale. The train I’m looking at has executive class at a decent price. I’ve always wanted to travel on the product on trenitalia so I’m going to book that at a rate that allows free changes before and one hour after departure.
Trenitalia is definitely the way to go after a long trip, Executive Class is very relaxing. Just be careful in Milano Centrale and hustle rather than move at a touristy pace while you're there. The whole station is sketchy as hell.
GratefulSmile likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently for 2 nights.
Great looking hotel with so much history, perfect location, fantastic upgrade using my suite night awards, friendly staff, nice welcome gift.

However, the rooftop terrace restaurant for dinner was one of the most expensive and disappointing experiences I've had eating out.
I spent 150 euro for dinner, for 1 starter, 1 "main" course and 1 cocktail. Yes, 150 euro by myself.
There is a 16 euro cover charge per person, which means you will pay that the moment you sit down, even if you order just a tap water.

If it had at least been excellent food, I could have justified the insane price, but the rooftop terrace restaurant does not even have 1 Michelin star and I can see why.
Small portions, and food taste was "meh".

They have a fixed tasting menu which costs 140 euro per person plus the 16 euro cover charge. So 156 euro total per person (NO drinks included in that fixed rate)
If I had chosen that at least I would have had a bit more food.

There is a ATM cash machine in the hotel on the top floor (just before you enter the restaurant).
I can see why considering how much they charge for dinner.
Looking at tripadvisor reviews, lots of people seemed to be disappointed by the rooftop terrace restaurant at the Danieli.

Breakfast luckily was inclusive in my rate as a Titanium member, but the quality of the food was also disappointing. It just all tasted a bit bland.
Also, lots of wasps annoying you while you try to eat at breakfast, and occasionally birds also drop by.

Stayed at the Gritti hotel a few nights later and had dinner there too.
Paid 40 euro less than the Danieli for dinner, for the same number of courses and 1 cocktail. (Gritti's cover charge is 12 euro per person)
The portions were a bit bigger and the food tasted better.
Also, the breakfast at the Gritti had much better tasting food too.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Aug 29, 2021 at 4:19 pm
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:24 am

Just wrapped a 3 night stay here.
  • Hotel was absolutely beautiful and grand, very much preferred vs. the St. Regis & the Gritti Palace. Lobby alone is worth stopping in for and the live music daily in the bar made it hard not to grab an evening cocktail there
  • Welcome gift was a bottle of red wine & Venetian cookies along with a printed note welcoming us to the property
  • Suite nights cleared 5 nights out into a Lagoon View Suite which was an incredible upgrade. Once they cleared I requested a room on the Danieli Excelsior side of the property but unfortunately they only had the Casa Nuova rooms available. Not the end of the world and the room was still gorgeous although showing its age somewhat (shades didn't open fully on one window & AC did not work along with the bathroom being tired). Would definitely recommend staying on the Excelsior side if possible as we saw one of the rooms while getting our pre-departure COVID test
  • Included breakfast as a titanium was beautiful, taking place on the rooftop restaurant with gorgeous views of the city. Breakfast itself was nothing special, but when in Venice there is so much to eat didn't find it to be too much of an issue.
  • Concierge at the hotel was excellent, helping us get some last minute restaurant reservations with their contacts as well as providing some tremendous recommendations
  • Staff as a whole was excellent with the exception of the WiFi issues (described below)
  • Only major issue we had was that the WiFi in our room was broken for 2/3 days of our stay. The internet broke at 8pm on a Friday and initial communications were that someone from Milan was coming to fix it the following morning. When this didn't happen the hotel then communicated that WiFi for all Marriott properties in Venice (St. Regis, Gritti Palace) were also not working and that this was a citywide issue. When we went to breakfast that morning the WiFi worked in the roof restaurant as well as in the lobby so not sure what the issue was there. When the WiFi still didn't work later in the day a mechanic came to the room and confirmed that it was not working. After we called down again they shifted from trying to fix it to just offering apologies with no solution. We were on vacation so this was not too much of an issue aside from making it harder to stay somewhat up to date on work emails, but this would've been a much larger problem if there on business or if working remote. At checkout I let the front desk agent know that the WiFi was still not working and that they'd likely want to fix it before the next guest arrived and she seemed nonplussed. Given what they're charging a night to stay there I would've been much more frustrated if I wasn't staying there on points & suite nights. Was a very strange service experience after the excellence of the concierge and every other staff member we interacted with.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Crown & Anchor Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, mLife Gold
We finished a 4 night stay here in the middle of November.

We had not been planning on staying at this property as I had booked JW Venice months before because I found a great deal at 179 Euro a night for a standard king room. This hotel was going to be part of our honeymoon as we were getting Married in Cortina d'Ampezzo the week prior and had been staying at high end hotels up there. JW decided to close early for the winter season and two weeks prior to our stay I got an email from the manager for all of the Marriott hotels in Venice stating that they would rebook use to Hotel Danieli and keep the rate that I had. I wrote a very friendly email saying that we were disappointed for the last min change and that the new property didn't have a spa for our honeymoon but we would be fine with getting rebooked but I did ask if they had any upgrades. I got a reply stating that no expense would be spared for our special weekend and they were looking forward to seeing us. I didn't research the hotel prior to getting there because we were more excited about our other stays before getting to Venice. I'm only have Gold status so this was very much not a factor into our stay.
  • We took a water taxi from VCE Airport direct to the hotel. After pulling up to the water entrance we got our first glimpse for the lobby. The hotel is gorgeous inside and we were completely surprised. If you aren't staying here but want to swing by the lobby it is open to the public for people to go and have a drink.
  • We were greeted by the staff and were brought over to a desk area for check-in. The person that was helping us was very excited to let us know that had booked us in the historical part of of the hotel and gave us the Grand Dandolo Suite 1 Bedroom Suite. We had to sign some paperwork talking about the windows and art in the room then she walked us up to our room giving us some history on the hotel along the way. We got the the room and it was huge and the ceilings had to be like 20 ft tall in the living room area. The walls were covered in art and fabric. The bedroom was a good size and a nice closet. Bathroom had a large bath tub and then a separate room with the shower.
  • A bottle of wine and some cookies were waiting for us on the table. It wasn't a super fancy bottle of wine but it was a nice touch.
  • Each day housekeeping came by and cleaned the room. In the evenings they came back around to do turndown service.
  • The staff was great throughout our who stay and the Concierge was great. They were able to print our documents that we needed to flyout and had some great suggestions. They also booked us a water taxi back to VCE for us as we had an earlier flight.
  • The hotel gave us breakfast with our stay and it was located on the on the top floor at Restaurant Terrazza Danieli. The views every morning were amazing and the staff was very inviting. The food was good and they had quite a few options but if you are going in thinking its going to be a lifechanging breakfast you will be disappointed. It was busy every morning and if it is nice out I suggest sitting outside.
  • The location of the hotel was great being it has the main attractions around the corning plus if you want to take the water bus to other islands it is in front of the hotel.
  • We had the same issue with the Wifi as the poster above. It worked great for the first two days then it never came back. They kept saying that they were having someone on it but no luck. We ended up going to the telecom store and getting my wife a Data SIM so she could use her phone and we could tether to it to check-in to our flights.
  • The hotel offers COVID testing on-site everyday from 10:30 to 12:00. They can do both PCR and Antigen and the results are quick. Our antigen tests were $60 each.
All in all we had a great stay and had a great time and we were very happy to be rebooked here.

Last edited by Airport Coffee; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:30 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Airport Coffee
  • the staff was very inviting.
Didn't they know you were on your honeymoon
reggiekush and Airport Coffee like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Did you really complain that you got moved from the Marriott to the Danieli? 😂
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold, Crown & Anchor Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, mLife Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Didn't they know you were on your honeymoon
They did but this was breakfast and everyone was treated that way every morning

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Did you really complain that you got moved from the Marriott to the Danieli? 😂
To be honest I had never even looked up the hotel until 2 days before getting there. I was more focused on trying to make sure all of the moving parts for our wedding were good to go. It wasn't until someone on a wine tasting we were on told us that it was a very nice historic hotel that we found out. When I got the email that they had cancelled our original booking this was 2 days prior to leaving the US to Italy for 14 days and the last thing I needed was for one of the 3 hotels we have booked to cancel and need to possibly find something new while travelling. I got the rebook confirmation 4 days prior to our stay. I would say we lucked out with this stay
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Such a big loss. Pretty sad to me.

Hotel Danieli is going to leave Marriott and become a Four Seasons within 2024.

https://www.italy24news.com/business...CY4IiNxlFeisTk
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Another article on the move: https://cpp-luxury.com/four-seasons-...-venice-italy/ Four Seasons is to spend 30 milliion euros on the renovation
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Smart move to migrate to 4S I would say
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
They probably got stale filling the hotel with guests that don’t pay (ie awards). Won’t have that problem with 4S.

Personally I think they have a lot of work to do to bring some of the rooms up to 4S quality.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Such a big loss. Pretty sad to me.

Hotel Danieli is going to leave Marriott and become a Four Seasons within 2024.
Really sad. There I had one of my most memorable hotel stays of all times.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I’ll miss this property being part of the fold for point redemptions. My first hotel redemption in Venice was for this property as an SPG Platinum, and it’s been a staple redemption property for me ever since.

I’m sure Four Seasons will mean some improvements in the rooms that really need them. But even absent that, this property is a legend in so many ways and still worth visits.
renila likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Hopefully 4 seasons will improve the quality of the rooftop restaurant food....one of the most expensive dinner disappointments I've ever had.

1 or more Michelin stars are sorely needed for such a famous property.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.