Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by t3ame
Thanks for the update.
Curious to see how they treat existing bookings for March 2023. I have a 2-night stay booked.
Will be reaching out and try to understand if the reservation will be honored (even incl breakfast as gift) or what happens now.
Will update here once I know more.

I wish I had had the following information in trying to resolve issues with the local reservation manager when I had issues with my booking at Gritti Palace:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi

This defines the (substantial) compensation, if a member is "walked" according to elite status on top of complimentary accommodation for such.

It could also be very useful for anyone needing to negotiate any change in their reservations if not honoured at Danieli with the changeover to FS.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:25 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Two night stay

I stayed at Danieli for two nights. It is an amazing hotel with a rich history. It is a huge loss for Marriott.
The location is perfect for San Marco. The interior looks very stunning. The breakfast buffet at the roof top was the highlight of my visit to Venice. The foods are plenty with many variety.
The less perfect part of my stay was the upgrade to a junior suite with SNA atop the entry way on the first floor (Room 008). It was nice at daytime because you can do one-way people watch from the windows. However, the hotel music did not stop until around midnight. There was nothing that I could do unless I wanted to go to sleep very late.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Agree with all of the above, but I'm not sure it's a huge loss. The room quality varied dramatically, and not all of us got the sweet upgrades as the hotel was often at capacity. As you note some rooms experienced a lot of street noise. I'm of the view that it is one of those properties that is worth a visit to see the public spaces (specifically the lobby and the roof) but not to stay. FS would be wise to gut everything except the lobby, but I doubt that's the plan.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Wife and I will be staying for New Years, 5 nights on points, at the Danieli for first time (second visit to Venice) .

Would it be reasonable to potentially expect some sort of upgrade as Gold at check-in time or is the hotel going to be booked out?

Also, has anyone done the kiss & toast love thing in St Marks Square? Wondering whether it's worth it or not, because it will be crowded and best place to view the fireworks will be on the rooftop terrace of the hotel. Maybe I'll go to the square for a while for the music shows and then head back to the hotel before the countdown.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:59 pm

I work at a Marriott hotel: Being a non-elite Bonvoy member is nothing, you can get silver status just having a credit card, Gold, especially if you have a Bonvoy credit card is easy to get if you do any travel at all. There are so many Gold elite members that you should not expect anything other than the extra points. The perks start with Platinum and Titanium elite status. Now you get more points, lounge access, if there is one, breakfast and yes, you can even start to get upgrades. You can also get some upgrade certificates to give you an even better chance at an upgrade. So, Bonvoy Members, Elite Silver and Gold, don't expect anything other than some extra points and maybe free enhanced internet. Platinum and especially Titanium is where you can start to see the nice perks. But even those should not expect the upgrade. Be thankful anytime you get an upgrade!
Boraxo and Happy like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:22 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ronlulich
I work at a Marriott hotel: Being a non-elite Bonvoy member is nothing, you can get silver status just having a credit card, Gold, especially if you have a Bonvoy credit card is easy to get if you do any travel at all. There are so many Gold elite members that you should not expect anything other than the extra points. The perks start with Platinum and Titanium elite status. Now you get more points, lounge access, if there is one, breakfast and yes, you can even start to get upgrades. You can also get some upgrade certificates to give you an even better chance at an upgrade. So, Bonvoy Members, Elite Silver and Gold, don't expect anything other than some extra points and maybe free enhanced internet. Platinum and especially Titanium is where you can start to see the nice perks. But even those should not expect the upgrade. Be thankful anytime you get an upgrade!
What you say, I find to be true in my own travels at Marriott properties. This is why it frustrates me that I am only Lifetime Platinum, when I should be Lifetime Titanium. I made my 10th year as a Platinum on the year of the switch over, but Marriott says I needed to have done it by the year prior, not the year of the change over. SPG Platinum is Bonvoy Titanium.

Long story short, I'll make Hyatt Globalist this year on all personal travel, but am bummed that I'll need to earn a million points before I get lifetime Globalist status. What can you do. Thanks for listening to my rant.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Aug 26, 2022 at 1:27 am
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Agree with all of the above, but I'm not sure it's a huge loss. The room quality varied dramatically, and not all of us got the sweet upgrades as the hotel was often at capacity. As you note some rooms experienced a lot of street noise. I'm of the view that it is one of those properties that is worth a visit to see the public spaces (specifically the lobby and the roof) but not to stay. FS would be wise to gut everything except the lobby, but I doubt that's the plan.
I agree that the hotel needs a lot of refreshing, bathroom, in particular, in my room. The floor squeaking is also everywhere.

When I checked out, I saw a couple who refused to stay at this hotel because they were assigned to a room in other buildings. I were lucky to have a room in the original building, especially, with the lagoon view and one-way people watching.

If I come back to visit Venice in the future, I would consider to stay at this hotel again, but Marriott’s SNA won’t work in the future. 😂

The following picture was taken from outside of my room.

The _Banking_Scot and Boraxo like this.

Last edited by Kmxu; Aug 26, 2022 at 1:46 am Reason: Add a picture
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:15 pm

It seems like the date for the exit from Marriott has changed slightly.

The notice on the hotel's home page saying it was leaving on 1/1 is completely gone, so I just checked, and rooms are available until Jan 5 now, instead of Jan 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.