Ritz Carlton Dallas [Master Thread]

Old Jun 21, 18, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Ritz Carlton Dallas [Master Thread]

Anyone with recent stays here? I can't find any threads in this Forum for the Dallas property. I am planning to be here in December for a few nights for work.
Old Jun 22, 18, 12:07 am

Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
It's been a year or so since my last stay, but I thought it was a nice, standard Ritz. Nothing wowed me, but everything was pretty solid.

My only complaints were that the valet was super slow both nights (the mornings were fine), and it might have just been the nights I was there, but I remember the bar being quite the scene. I went down for a relaxing dinner and drink and it was anything but. There was nowhere to sit, and after 5-10 minutes of waiting I just went back to my room and got room service.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
It's been a year or so since my last stay, but I thought it was a nice, standard Ritz. Nothing wowed me, but everything was pretty solid.....
Concur, my last stay was also about a year ago. Fearing's is a top notch restaurant an should be tried at least one night for dinner.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 22, 18, 11:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Compared with the W Dallas Victory and Grand Hyatt, how do you evaluate the RC?
Old Jun 25, 18, 10:34 am

I can only compare to the W. If the Mavericks and Stars are playing home games during your stay you'll have a very lively crowd in the hotel and lots of traffic and crowds outside. Numerous more good dining options within walking distance of W compared to the Ritz
Old Jun 27, 18, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Ritz is definitely nicer, but the W, Hyatt Regency, Westin downtown, and the Le Meridien Stoneleigh are all perfectly fine hotels. For a special occasion, the Ritz may be worth the price increase, but for a regular trip, I don't think the Ritz is worth the up charge unless you plan on spending a decent amount of time at the hotel.

If you don't have to stick with SPG/MR, you might also look at the Joule; it was always my favorite hotel in town until it left SPG years ago.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 30, 18, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
The only Grand Hyatt is by DFW airport. There's the Hyatt Regency downtown. It's acceptable. The RC is better than W, but if you don't care about points you may want to consider Zaza.
Old Jul 23, 18, 9:15 pm

Programs: golden pleb
Can't comment on Hyatt, but the vibe from W and RC is very different, having stayed at both since April '18. I found the bed more to my liking at RC - W seemed too low. The 'bathroom' at W in non-suites is also formed by a curtain, which seems a weirdly cheap option, but fits with the ultra-modern aesthetic. RC is very much contemporary on the inside - many neutral tones. Seems like everyone at the RC is coached to greet you as soon as you are seen - less so at W. If it matters, RC has nespresso in-room, while W only has coffee in the bar. RC lounge is very nice, as you would expect at the price point; W does not have one to my knowledge. A colleague mentioned to me that there is at least one suite at the W to which she was upgraded that had a foosball table. Both the RC and W have outdoor pools; W's is on a higher floor but closes earlier.
Old Dec 9, 18, 11:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Average but disappointing stay this week

I’ll do a more thorough review later, but my recent 2 night stay left me with the following impressions:

PROS:

—the hotel has nice public spaces
—the Fearing’s restaurant is truly wonderful and as good as advertised
—valets are extremely friendly and efficient
—check in was quick and easy
—staff was friendly and tries to please
—deluxe suite was spacious and well laid out for most part
—bar service was excellent
—good location downtown with easy access to freeways
—lots of good restaurants nearby, many within walking distance

CONS:

—air con not preset to 67 F in suite as stipulated on profile and requested twice before arrival
—air con not capable of cooling below 68-69 F despite assurances
—horrible WiF with “premium” speeds no better than 3-4 Mbps ever, hotel should be extremely embarrassed
—offer of points to remedy poor WiFi is embarrassing too (ultimately, they took $125/night off room rate)
—dated furnishings/decor in deluxe suite, reminiscent of but still less polished than StR Houston...but without the excellent service
—poor view from deluxe suite onto roof with smoke emissions, not particularly luxe
—shower was tiny for such a big suite
—shower pressure was poor
—service was a bit clumsy, lack of attention to details, very formulaic/“standard operating procedure” approach
—no welcome amenity of any sort in suite despite my first stay and my Plat Premier Ambassador status. Had to ask second day, response was curious but eventually got nice cheese plate.
—bar cocktails were not impressive at all, surprising for such a good restaurant adjacent
—extremely slow or not operating elevators
—convention feel with meetings, felt very crowded (midweek stay)
—pretty mediocre room service breakfasts

I was surprised at how average this RC experience felt. I most likely would choose to try the W Dallas on a future visit. For the pretty high rate, I think the RC is overrated. Demand may be high, but the very formulaic service and service recovery attempts, dated decor, terrible WiFi, subpar air con, and mediocre room service just can’t justify the rates IMO—even as good as Fearing’s truly is.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 9, 18 at 11:56 am
Old Dec 9, 18, 12:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Starriott Plat100 (Lifetime PPE) Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
I’ll do a more thorough review later, but my recent 2 night stay left me with the following impressions:

PROS:

—the hotel has nice public spaces
—the Fearing’s restaurant is truly wonderful and as good as advertised
—valets are extremely friendly and efficient
—check in was quick and easy
—staff was friendly and tries to please
—deluxe suite was spacious and well laid out for most part
—bar service was excellent
—good location downtown with easy access to freeways
—lots of good restaurants nearby, many within walking distance

CONS:

—air con not preset to 67 F in suite as stipulated on profile and requested twice before arrival
—air con not capable of cooling below 68-69 F despite assurances
—horrible WiF with “premium” speeds no better than 3-4 Mbps ever, hotel should be extremely embarrassed
—offer of points to remedy poor WiFi is embarrassing too (ultimately, they took $125/night off room rate)
—dated furnishings/decor in deluxe suite, reminiscent of but still less polished than StR Houston...but without the excellent service
—poor view from deluxe suite onto roof with smoke emissions, not particularly luxe
—shower was tiny for such a big suite
—shower pressure was poor
—service was a bit clumsy, lack of attention to details, very formulaic/“standard operating procedure” approach
—no welcome amenity of any sort in suite despite my first stay and my Plat Premier Ambassador status. Had to ask second day, response was curious but eventually got nice cheese plate.
—bar cocktails were not impressive at all, surprising for such a good restaurant adjacent
—extremely slow or not operating elevators
—convention feel with meetings, felt very crowded (midweek stay)
—pretty mediocre room service breakfasts

I was surprised at how average this RC experience felt. I most likely would choose to try the W Dallas on a future visit. For the pretty high rate, I think the RC is overrated. Demand may be high, but the very formulaic service and service recovery attempts, dated decor, terrible WiFi, subpar air con, and mediocre room service just can’t justify the rates IMO—even as good as Fearing’s truly is.

Thanks bhrubin- I am very interested in Ritz Carlton reports.

I look forward to your review- would also like to see you rank Ritz Carltons, especially after your Half Moon Bay stay.

So far the only one that has really impressed us is the Hotel Arts in Barcelona.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 18, 12:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
Thanks bhrubin- I am very interested in Ritz Carlton reports.

I look forward to your review- would also like to see you rank Ritz Carltons, especially after your Half Moon Bay stay.

So far the only one that has really impressed us is the Hotel Arts in Barcelona.
This RC let me down.

The RC SF also let me down but I liked it fine—but only will consider it when the StR is significantly more expensive (and mostly when I’m traveling solo).

I actually think the RC Boston will be my go to hotel in Boston...but I also would choose the W Boston when rates are substantially less.

The RC Kyoto is also world class...one of the best. I hear the same about RC Tokyo.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 9:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

RC Dallas: quite disappointing and overpriced with dated/convention feel

The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas

2121 McKinney Ave Dallas, TX US 75201

RC Dallas: quite disappointing and overpriced with dated/convention feel (33 Photos)

The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas

I had business in Dallas and decided to try the Ritz-Carlton over the less expensive W. In retrospect, I should have gone with the W.

Since regular rooms were going for $600 AAA rate or so, I decided to book the deluxe king suite for $724. I was curious if I might enjoy better Marriott elite status recognition/treatment as I might at a St Regis. (Hint: I did not.)

The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated for Christmas:

20181206_101736.jpg

20181206_101740.jpg

20181206_101754.jpg

20181206_101744.jpg

1_20181204_192710.jpg

There even was a little cafe/dessert shop reminiscent of Vienna:

20181204_224049.jpg

The hotel is on the first 7 floors of a tall tower building; the rest are residences, I believe. There are two other adjacent towers that also are residences, entered via their own entrance. 

Overalll, the public spaces looked pretty nice. The conference areas beyond the elevators never interested me...

Check In

Check in was friendly and quick, though the FDA didn't mention anything about my Ambassador elite status. Since I was curious what her screen would show as my status, I asked her as she gave me my room key packet; she indicated I was a Plat Premier. 

Platinum recognition here truly is non-existent. 

The FDA walked me to the elevators and made sure I called if I needed anything. 

Room

My Deluxe Suite was quite spacious, even if it felt quite dated. It reminded me a bit of the dated decor/furnishings at the St Regis Houston. 

20181204_192406.jpg

20181204_164114.jpg

20181204_164751 (1).jpg

I thought it was a bit odd to have the coffee maker so close to the entrance and so far from the bedroom. 

There was a small closet and a powder bath on the right off the entry hallway. The door opening past the toilet area seemed a bit clumsy:

20181204_164225 (1).jpg

20181204_164238.jpg

The living room was quite spacious, if a bit drab with the color palette:

20181204_164300.jpg

20181204_164316.jpg

20181204_164330.jpg

The view was unimpressive:

20181204_164337.jpg

The bedroom was pretty spacious, too, though the smaller window left it a bit dark without the lighting:

20181204_164525.jpg

20181204_164539.jpg

There were plenty of plugs by the bedside:

20181204_164954.jpg

The TV cabinet had an under mini bar and fridge, as well as a safe drawer:

20181204_164809.jpg

20181204_191127.jpg

20181204_165021.jpg

20181204_164817 (1).jpg

The small hallway between the bedroom and master bath had a spacious closet area and cabinet:

20181204_164604.jpg

20181204_164620.jpg

20181204_164649.jpg

20181204_164659.jpg

20181204_164705.jpg

20181204_164719.jpg

The layout of the suite reminded me a LOT of the deluxe suite at the Ritz-Carlton Boston--just not renovated and not refurbished. It's obvious that the hotel is in need of a renovation. 

The air con was not impressive. I confirmed both before booking and a few days before my stay that the suite could cool to below 67 F. For a suite customer, let alone an Ambassador guest, you'd think they would have tested to be sure. No dice. The temperature barely got below 69 F. They did bring fans, but I wasn't pleased to be paying so much for substandard air con in one of the hotel's better suites. The engineers also admitted that the hotel usually doesn't get particularly cold, making the false promises of good air con more galling. 

The WiFi was even more tragic. It never got above 3-4 Mbps and usually was between 0.5 and 1.5 Mbps. Even the Dallas and Houston airport terminals get 5-6 Mbps. 

At least the shower pressure was mediocre. 

All in all, I wasn't at all impressed. Space is nice, but the rest is seriously lacking. 

Service

Service could have rescued the hotel a bit, but it really wasn't that great. My challenge with fairly rigid standard operating procedure with Ritz-Carlton service continued here. I had some of the same challenge at the RC San Francisco. I did not have that issue at the RC Boston and certainly not at the RC Kyoto. So it's not necessarily endemic, but it is an obvious problem. It's NOT St. Regis. 

After I complained about the WiFi, the FD manager apologized, admitted they knew it was an issue, and offered me 4000 Marriott points. I was insulted and said so. That's something to offer at a Courtyard, not a Ritz Carlton. 

A guest relations manager called back and asked what I wanted: I told him that I thought $100 off the rate was appropriate for the WiFi failure and the air con broken promise. He indicated they would drop $125 from the nightly rate by way of apology.

But it felt like he was doing me a favor.There was no real interest in trying to please or genuinely trying to make up for the shortcomings; there only was interest in trying to stop talking about the problems. That isn't luxury service to my mind. 

I didn't even get a welcome amenity as most luxury hotels provide: no note from guest relations or the GM, no welcome fruit and bottles of water, nothing. I asked the guest relatiojns manager about it the second day, and he was surprised. But no real apology. An hour or two later, they delivered a small but nice cheese plate with a note from the guest relations manager. 

Again, it was just handled so poorly--and not genuinely at all. 

The bar service was quite good, even if the drinks were surprisingly poor. Room service took a while but was adequate. 

The Fearing's restaurant service was wonderful. Fearing's certainly is a highlight of the hotel.

The valets were great. They were quick, friendly, and always trying to please/see if I might need anything. They didn't always get the door, but they usually did. 

All in all, though, the Ritz-Carlton Dallas was a pretty big service disappointment. It just felt too formulaic, too going through the motions, too "Marriott" SOP for my tastes. It wasn't luxury service to me in the slightest. 

The contrast between the RC Dallas and the St Regis Houston was remarkable. The St Regis also is dated and has tired decor. Yet the air con was preset for me prior to my arrival (as promised) and worked perfectly for the duration of my stay. The Wifi was excellent. I was recognized as a Platinum guest and had a lovely welcome amenity awaiting my arrival. The butler service was always excellent.  The service throughout the hotel and food/beverage were vastly superior in almost every way. And when I had a few misses, the hotel immediately took care of those and tried to genuinely make me happier—not just make it go away. It wasn’t even close. 

Dining

Dining at Fearing's was a highlight. I had dinner with a colleague at Fearing's my first night, and it was SUBLIME. Truly worthy of being one of the best in Texas, indeed.

20181204_204809.jpg

20181204_204806.jpg

20181204_210833.jpg

20181204_210838.jpg

My steak with chicken fried lobster was spectacularly good. I'm sure I'm due for the inevitable heart attack any day now, but it was so worth it!

Room service breakfast was pretty average, though.

20181205_093157.jpg

Another weakness with F/B was the poor drinks at the bar. But the server handled it perfectly, comping me my drink and bringing me a follow up on him, to boot. 

The Fearing's restaurant was top drawer. The rest of F/B was just mediocre. 

The location was great for me. It was just a 30 min drive from the DFW airport. It was about 45 minutes to Ft Worth and about 15 minutes to my Dallas appointments. It also had numerous restaurants nearby. 

Overall

The Ritz-Carlton Dallas is a pretty nice hotel--but it just didn't deliver. 

It felt like a JW Marriott convention hotel sometimes while waiting 5-10 minutes for an elevator, and the lobby often felt pretty busy.

The poor air con and trafic Wifi really bothered me, even with the rate discount. The dated decor and furnishings didn't bother me too badly, but the lack of great service really wasn't there to make up for it. Fearing's was great, but the rest of F/B wasn't impressive. 

The hotel needs to be renovated, and the team needs to be trained in proper luxury service. Food/beverage needs to be improved. Basically, the hotel really just felt like an old and tired JW Marriott conference center with the concomitant lackadaisical service. 

I am not likely to ever return. I will try the W on my next visit. 

RC Dallas: quite disappointing and overpriced with dated/convention feel

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, Dallas?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 16, 18, 3:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

@bhrubin
Definitely disappointing all over your Icy Holiness. Not worth the money for such bad service, internet, air con and a bland suite.
bhrubin likes this.