Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Split, Croatia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Split, Croatia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier Gold
Honeymoon Advice

Hi everyone,

This thread has been extremely helpful so I'm hoping that I can get additional advice here! I'm in the midst of planning for my honeymoon in Croatia for late September/early October and am currently debating between staying in both Split and Zagreb or making Split our base for 5 nights instead (we'd use the stay 4 nights, get the 5th free promotion) and eliminating Zagreb entirely. We are planning to stay in Dubrovnik, Korcula, and Hvar before arriving at the Le Meridien Split. From reading this thread and other information on the internet, it sounds like the Le Meridien is wonderful and provides for quite a relaxing stay. I noticed a few members saying that this resort could provide for a nice base for day trips outside of Split. Therefore, I'm wondering if I should eliminate Zagreb which would provide for a more relaxing honeymoon, with one less hotel switch and train from Split-Zagreb.

I originally was thinking to spend 3 nights in Split before moving on to Zagreb for 2-3 nights. Previously, we were planning to fly out of Zagreb to return to the US, however, I've found convenient flights going back from Split as well. Secondly, the other major motivation to stay in Zagreb was to visit Plitvice Lakes more conveniently. However, it seems that some make the trip to Plitvice from Split as well.

I would like to confirm that it's possible to have a nice daytrip from Split to Plitvice. I know that it's a few hours farther to Plitvice from Split than Zagreb, but I wonder if it would be nicer to use the Le Meridien as the base rather than stay in LM for just a few nights before moving on to the Westin Zagreb -- which sounds rather stale in comparison. For the Plitvice daytrip, we would probably book a tour excursion rather than take the public buses.

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated -- do you think that we'd be missing out by not going to Zagreb? Thanks so much!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I have just been to both, and you can certainly skip Zagreb. It's a nice city with plenty of attractions and much to boast about, but it is small and there's nothing that really must be seen. By staying on the coast you can enjoy more of Croatia's best. Enjoy your trip
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:10 am

Thanks ajamieson, that's very helpful!!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
I have just been to both, and you can certainly skip Zagreb. It's a nice city with plenty of attractions and much to boast about, but it is small and there's nothing that really must be seen. By staying on the coast you can enjoy more of Croatia's best. Enjoy your trip
Agreed. Nothing against Zagreb however I would much rather spend my time down South.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:18 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
I have also stayed at both a couple of months ago. Zagreb is a perfectly enjoyable city hotel. I do not consider it a location suitable for a honeymoon. Maybe a wedding, but not the honeymoon.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:02 am

Thanks Travelsig and cbellero! Has anyone made the daytrip to Plitvice from Split? I am hoping that it'll be doable to go on the daytrip, rather than having to stay overnight at Plitvice, though I'm aware that it will require an early start. Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
would be happy to answer your questions... but I'm a UCLA graduate and am therefore precluded from assisting in any way, shape or form.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
I'm just kidding... I definitely echo the others... you are not missing anything by not going to Zagreb, especially if you can take advantage of the 5th night free. We did 4 days in Split and it wasn't quite enough time (3 days were beautiful, 1 day it poured.... so having an extra day just in case of inclement weather or just being weary from traveling), is never a bad thing. Spend the extra time in Split, eat some black squid risotto, drink some Croatian wines, take advantage of the spa at the hotel, and relax on your honeymoon.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by USCgirlie
Thanks Travelsig and cbellero! Has anyone made the daytrip to Plitvice from Split? I am hoping that it'll be doable to go on the daytrip, rather than having to stay overnight at Plitvice, though I'm aware that it will require an early start. Thanks!
IIRC it's about a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive. Actually I looked it up on Via Michelin and it lists the drive time as 3 1/4 hours. If you're comfortable driving in Europe (stick shift), I would rent a car. It'd probably be about the same cost as the tour bus and it would be more comfortable (although having a guide is nice). So if you leave at 8 you get there at 11:15 and you can wander until 3 or 4 and then drive back. I would definitely not do Zagreb just to see Plitvice but on the other hand, Zagreb is a very nice place to visit on its own for the museums, old town, cathedral, Medvednica mountain, etc. The weather in early October should be OK (we usually swim until the end of September) but as other posters have mentioned, rain could be an issue in which case having the extra day might be helpful.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 5:58 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
IIRC it's about a 3 to 3 1/2 hour drive. Actually I looked it up on Via Michelin and it lists the drive time as 3 1/4 hours. If you're comfortable driving in Europe (stick shift), I would rent a car. It'd probably be about the same cost as the tour bus and it would be more comfortable (although having a guide is nice). So if you leave at 8 you get there at 11:15 and you can wander until 3 or 4 and then drive back. I would definitely not do Zagreb just to see Plitvice but on the other hand, Zagreb is a very nice place to visit on its own for the museums, old town, cathedral, Medvednica mountain, etc. The weather in early October should be OK (we usually swim until the end of September) but as other posters have mentioned, rain could be an issue in which case having the extra day might be helpful.
Thanks very much eefor jfp for this informative post! Unfortunately, we both don't know how to drive stick shift, and we wouldn't feel too comfortable driving in Europe in general (even with an automatic). From everything I've read, it sounds like driving in Croatia is much more manageable for tourists not accustomed to driving in Europe vs. other European countries, but I think we'll pass on renting a car anyhow.

If anyone is familiar with a good, reputable tour company who offers excursions from Split to Plitvice, please let me know. I wasn't able to find a tour excursion company going from Split-Plitvice with substantial reviews online.

Given the helpful information everyone has given me on this thread, we will not be visiting Zagreb on this trip and will instead make Split our base for 5 nights. Also, we're now planning to visit Split first before making our way to Hvar, Korcula, and finally Dubrovnik, so hopefully that will lessen the chances of bad weather days in Split.

If anyone else has opinions on the Split-Plitvice tour excursion, please let me know! BTW, taipeiflyer, I appreciate your helpful post. Black squid risotto sounds amazing, and I'm sure we'll be glad that we chose to stay 5 nights and take it easy! Thanks for sharing despite your school allegiances .
Old Jun 7, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by USCgirlie
If anyone else has opinions on the Split-Plitvice tour excursion, please let me know! BTW, taipeiflyer, I appreciate your helpful post. Black squid risotto sounds amazing, and I'm sure we'll be glad that we chose to stay 5 nights and take it easy! Thanks for sharing despite your school allegiances .
There is a tour agent just outside the main entrance to reception.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Keyser
have a close friend who lives in zagreb so will have to spend a couple of days there at least....i could reduce zagreb by a couple of days & this way i would have 2 days in dubrovnik....thanks....
Just got back from Croatia, my only recommendation would be to target a less touristy destination as well as the main ones already listed. Sobe are the way to go if you need to stick to a budget.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I stayed at this property and was generally impressed, with the exception of the one restaurant, Spalatum, which was truly abysmal for the price paid.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Just got back from Croatia, my only recommendation would be to target a less touristy destination as well as the main ones already listed. Sobe are the way to go if you need to stick to a budget.
If you can visit in the shoulder months of May and/or September the prices in Croatia in general are significantly less expensive.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Plat breakfast reports?

Don't see this property in that master thread...I *think* it's "full breakfast in the restaurant", but would love for someone to confirm. Also - if this is the case, is this in addition to the 500 points?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.