Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I have stayed at the PHL Marriott Downtown multiple times. Never stayed at the Sheraton. The Marriott is a typical run of the mill large convention hotel. Concierge Lounge is okay but not outstanding. It tends to get very crowded but the hotel does a decent job of handling the volume. I have gotten one unsolicited upgrade (to the Presidential Suite) out of three stays in the last 6 months or so. Standard rooms are basic older Marriott style though well maintained. They have been good about honoring my request for a room near the CL (typically a few floors lower than the CL floor). Could be a very long walk from the headhouse tower rooms (never stayed in them) to the CL.

You didn't mention it as an option, but ironically my favorite PHL Downtown Marriott Family property so far is the Courtyard (next block over closer to Center City from the Marriott). It is a nicely restored historic building. I have a %90+ unsolicited suite upgrade rate with 10+ stays over the last 6 months or so. It does have a full restaurant and bar including a nice breakfast buffet with made to order omelets rather than the typical CY Bistro crap. Of course breakfast is not free and no CL. Even so, I still find myself preferring this property. There is also a Residence Inn next door to The Courtyard. I haven't tried it yet but have also heard good things about it as well (another restored historic building). Off course only 5 points/dollar at RI is another disincentive from trying it.

--Jon
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Gold
Looks like The Franklin is being rebranded as the Renaissance Downtown Philadelphia with a new restaurant/bar :All about Benjamins at Chez Ben in Old City - Philly
(I don't know why Marriott insists on using Downtown for their Center City hotels, nobody but an out-of-towner would call it "Downtown" Philly.)

Last edited by MrRuffles; Mar 8, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Thanks for the tip. I stayed at the Center City Marriott "Downtown". Very friendly staff, but two oddities:
1: When I asked about an upgrade, the front desk associate said: "Yes, I have a great suite available for you." I was impressed and excited. Turns out to be a "larger guest room". Nice, but not a suite. I didn't go back down and complain.
2: Poured a Maker's Mark in the lounge for $8. I tell you, it wasn't Maker's Mark. It was watered down, swapped, or something. I couldn't finish it and left, again without saying anything since they were very busy.

V
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:04 am

I feel like I must be missing something because there has been so little activity on this thread, and because the Ritz Philadelphia doesn't have its own thread in the Bonvoy forum, but I thought I'd just throw this in - have done a couple stays recently at the Ritz lately and wrote up a quick review over in the Luxury Travel forum (where, for some reason, the property does in fact have a thread).

To hopefully not anger the cross-posting gods, here is a link: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31435788-post25.html

Short version is that while this is a fine, perfectly inoffensive business hotel with stunning public spaces, I did not really find it to be up to the Ritz standard. In particular, I found the Club to be remarkably unremarkable, on the level of a standard European or Asian Hilton/Sheraton/etc. lounge, which was surprising to me given how much people rave about Ritz Clubs. That, plus tiny rooms and lack of amenities (decent gym, pool, etc.) makes it difficult for me to say that the property lives up to the expectations that come with its brand.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by arlflyer
because the Ritz Philadelphia doesn't have its own thread in the Bonvoy forum, but I thought I'd just throw this in - have done a couple stays recently at the Ritz lately and wrote up a quick review over in the Luxury Travel forum (where, for some reason, the property does in fact have a thread).
Not a big thread but here you go:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...at-expect.html
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Yes, I saw that one and a couple other comparison-type threads. Just was surprised that there was not a master property thread, as exist for many smaller hotels in much lesser-traveled cities.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:47 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've got a stay at the RC and the new FS coming up in the spring 2020. So it will be interesting to see if I think the FS is so much better for its higher price point. I also plan to stay at the new W to check out its cost/benefit--assuming it opens in Jan 2020 as planned.

As an Ambassador elite, I find I get upgraded at all RC now--usually to a suite if one is available, but always to one of the biggest/best view room categories. So that may improve the cost/benefit proposition for me compared with others. I also could care less about lounges, so the RC Club issues won't be a factor for me at all.

I've had many stays at the Sheraton Univ City, the Le Meridien, the Westin, the Sheraton Downtown (changed to the 201 but coming back after reno), and the old Sheraton Society Hill (now Marriott Historic District).
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Will be curious about your take on 1) the FS at the very top of the market (how does it compare to other top-tier, big-city properties, as I haven't been to a huge number), and 2) the RC as compared to RC brand standards (I have my opinion...).

Rittenhouse I never managed to make it around to but have obviously heard very good things. Though I don't know if I'd trade the Logan for it - they seem like comps on paper / photos, but obviously Hilton points and benefits at the latter.

Moving the above comment/discussion from the Le Meridien Philadelphia thread to this general Philadelphia Bonvoy thread which I believe to be more appropriate.

I'll be interested to see, as well, how the RC and new W stack up against the brand new FS and the famed Rittenhouse.

Please do keep in mind that the Logan is the former FS Philadelphia. It was seriously dated and still is. It isn't a 5 star hotel even now, so it's not in the same league as the new FS, RC, or Rittenhouse IMO.

The interesting thing will be to see if the new W qualifies in the same 5 star category or not. Newer Ws tend to be properly 5 star.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Please do keep in mind that the Logan is the former FS Philadelphia. It was seriously dated and still is. It isn't a 5 star hotel even now, so it's not in the same league as the new FS, RC, or Rittenhouse IMO.
Definitely not new and shiny finishes but had good "bones" - having spent a few weeks at each I'd take it over the RC and Westin, but everyone has their preferences.

I'll too be curious about the W - I'm sure the build will be great but my experience with W's in the US is that their reputation as a party brand draws that crowd, so I avoid for business travel.

I think your experience is also going to depend on how you're set up of course - I've never so much as smelled the inside of a suite at the RC; they love to give me their closet-sized rooms so that skews my experience.

Looking forward to some trip reports!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Booking a one nighter for the Mrs and Marriott Old City seems to be good value.

Looks it went through some renovation recently. Are they done or still doing work there? Any thoughts on safety, restaurants/bars, touristy stuff in that neighborhood?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Booking a one nighter for the Mrs and Marriott Old City seems to be good value.

Looks it went through some renovation recently. Are they done or still doing work there? Any thoughts on safety, restaurants/bars, touristy stuff in that neighborhood?
I have stayed at this property multiple times when it was a Sheraton before the renovations. I can’t speak to the renovations but the hotel is walking distance to many of Philadelphia’s historical sites. There are many great bars and restaurants nearby. I’m a big fan of Zahav across the street and Talula’s in Washington Square Park. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to get a reservation at either restaurant.

I spend a lot of time in big cities so in my opinion, the area is safe.
carsnoceans, arlflyer and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Anyone stayed at the Notary? It was the only hotel I could get within policy, but it looked pretty nice. I booked one of the 'Pure' rooms.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Score8
Anyone stayed at the Notary? It was the only hotel I could get within policy, but it looked pretty nice. I booked one of the 'Pure' rooms.
I have not personally stayed but have heard from coworkers that it is fine. It is a flip from a Courtyard, but that was a Courtyard that had above-brand-standard "bones" to begin with, so the transition probably brought it into line with its potential. I've had coworkers choose it consistently over the LM and put it in line with the Westin, but below the Ritz, if that helps.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Has anyone stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown recently? I found the other thread, but the last post was in 2017. Here's my situation.

I was looking into booking this hotel for a convention a few months from now. Marriott's rate was $139/night for advance purchase. The negotiated convention rate was $121/night, and I was about to book the advance purchase rate when I saw that a well known OTA had a "seasonal deal" of $88/night. So, I booked through the OTA. What are my odds that I'll get walked? I booked a regular king room. I understand that it's a non-commissionable rate, so I won't get any points, but will I be able to add my Bonvoy number when I check it, to get free wifi? The OTA does not give me the Bonvoy confirmation.

Last edited by diburning; Feb 27, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I've got a stay at the RC and the new FS coming up in the spring 2020. So it will be interesting to see if I think the FS is so much better for its higher price point. I also plan to stay at the new W to check out its cost/benefit--assuming it opens in Jan 2020 as planned.
I'm at the Ritz now and I am extremely disappointed with the management and service. I would strongly advise against staying here.

However right outside my window is the new W. It appears very close to opening. The W website says December 2020. Workers are swarming around the lower levels and the entrance. The room levels appear to be done. In fact all the curtains are open so I can see right into the rooms facing the morning sun. All the beds and furniture are in place. The corner rooms are larger and have a huge vertical support column near the corner. It looks like over 30 floors of rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.