Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by LAR
Hi All,

Looks like they are right next to each other.

Wife and I are planning on bringing our three boys (4,8,10) to Phily and plan to use points. Our primary concern is hotel room space. Are the Residence Inn rooms substantially larger? Perhaps their 'One Bedroom Suite' really has a separate bedroom?

Thanks!
LAR
The Residence Inn one bedroom suite that I stayed did in not have a big bedroom. The Deluxe Tower rooms at the Downtown Marriott are very large and newly remodeled. They're a bit of a walk from the main desk though. But, I think that room would work out better AFA space. Just make sure you ask for a deluxe tower room should you decide on that hotel. The downside is that there is not refrigerator, etc.

The Hampton Inn is a few blocks from there but the neighborhood is not the best but you might be able to get 2 rooms for the same price as 1 room at the Marriott Downtown. The HGI is across the street forn the downtown Marriott and might be suitable but I've not stayed there and have no idea of the price range of rooms.

Bobette
Old Feb 12, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott, SPG, Amex
Philadelphia Area Marriotts

I've racked up a little over a hundred nights at random Marriotts near Philadelphia since last fall and I figured I post some info for future travelers.

Courtyard Philadelphia- Great hotel in a beautiful old building and right in front of city hall, on the same block as the Ritz, Marriott and higher tier hotels. I checked in on a thurs and got upgraded (gold) to a corner exec suite as well as 4pm checkout. Definitely going back.

Courtyard Lansdale, PA- A small courtyard in a suburb of Philadelphia, very attentive staff and a chili's next door running room service Never any upgrades but very friendly and attentive staff.

Marriott Princeton, NJ- Massive place, looks like a old school ski lodge but overall very unimpressive. Its dark and dingy although its in the middle of the woods in a very scenic location. The staff weren't at all attentive, and I pretty much had to beg to get a 1pm checkout (this after staying mon-fri the three weeks before). Trying out the Courtyard next time I'm in the area.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Downtown Philadelphia Marriotts

Now that the CY and RI are both Cat 5s (along with the FS Marriott), does anyone have a strong preference of one over the other? Stayed in the RI with my wife last year with a Cat 4 cert and saved the Cat 5 from the Visa for this year. I saw a couple recent posts in the FS Marriott Philadelphia thread, but wanted to see if people had thoughts on one over another.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I do not have a strong preference of one over the other, as I have never stayed at the RI - but we have stayed at the CY several times and really enjoyed our stay each time.

You of course do not get breakfast - but with Reading Terminal Market right out the back door, I wouldn't eat in house if it was included.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt, Silver MR and HH, SW A List
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Now that the CY and RI are both Cat 5s (along with the FS Marriott), does anyone have a strong preference of one over the other? Stayed in the RI with my wife last year with a Cat 4 cert and saved the Cat 5 from the Visa for this year. I saw a couple recent posts in the FS Marriott Philadelphia thread, but wanted to see if people had thoughts on one over another.
I have enjoyed my stays at the Residence Inn, used a certificate several times to stay and have been happy each time. Courtyard doesn't work as well since I travel with my wife and kids, the greater room in the Residence Inn is appreciated.

Ate some appetizers and had a drink in the bar the Ritz Carlton in Philly, and that was a special treat. Not a Category 5 hotel, though it is attainable through points.

Enjoy either property, enjoy the Farmers Market and mostly enjoy Center City Philly!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
I do not have a strong preference of one over the other, as I have never stayed at the RI - but we have stayed at the CY several times and really enjoyed our stay each time.
Originally Posted by LSUmascot
the greater room in the Residence Inn is appreciated.
When I stayed at the RI last year the 1BR suite wasn't bad, how big was the CY room?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:22 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
If using a Cat 5 cert, I would stay at the FS service Marriott. I feel that you get more bang for your buck and get all the Plat benefits including breakfast and lounge access.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by sammyindc
If using a Cat 5 cert, I would stay at the FS service Marriott. I feel that you get more bang for your buck and get all the Plat benefits including breakfast and lounge access.
it's a Saturday night stay, lounge closed weekends and no coupons.

It all comes down to room size.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
it's a Saturday night stay, lounge closed weekends and no coupons.

It all comes down to room size.
In that case ignore my post never stayed at a RI.
They both seem to have decent room sizes (esp if you get an upgrade). RI offers free breakfast. I would look at location and determine which one is best for your plans.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes look at location. The character of neighborhoods in Philadelphia can change dramatically almost from block to block.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:16 am

They are next door to one another, so location not a decisive factor. Let me see if I can find the room size on the website. Square footage estimates are not my strong suite! No pun intended...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:41 am

So as I investigate this morning I see the RI has 1BR suites (which I know from experience and would probably get upgraded to). The FS has 76 suites (photos are awesome) but with 1300+ rooms that's not a good percentage. The CY has 1BR and 2 room suites with 498 rooms, but the website doesn't list how many suites. Does anyone have upgrade experience at the FS and CY?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:54 am

I booked the lowest room available and was upgraded to a Corner King with a View. I too was there on a Sat night, which is very busy for this hotel - not sure what your dates are, but Spring thru Fall is often sold out.

I would rate the Plat treatment as above average. I booked 2 rooms. All were upgraded ( ie, what I refer to as a "CITY" upgrade = high floor, view, larger rooms on the quieter side of the hotel.) and all received a Plat Amenity. In fact, TWO - the gentleman who checked us in gave us Points and a choice from the market for both rooms.

The clientele was mostly adult. We had friends at the RI, and the opposite was true there, if that is important to you.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Diamond Hyatt, Silver MR and HH, SW A List
When I stayed at the RI last year the 1BR suite wasn't bad, how big was the CY room?
My CY room was a standard sized room, the RI room a fairly typical RI suite layout with couch and bed. Don't know sq ft but even with the kids I felt the RI had more space. We also got a lovely view of City Hall from the window.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Both are good, CY better except for room size

I have stayed at both of these hotels many times, and like both very much. My wife likes the RI for the extra space, especially since I have insomnia so it gives me room to wander. The breakfast at the RI is very standard RI breakfast, and with Reading Terminal Market a block away, on a weekend for fun that is where to go (although might not have many offerings on Sunday morning) rather than eating at the hotel.

While service is good at both hotels, I think the service at the CY is a bit more aimed to please. And on weekends especially the RI caters to families and parties, and is, in my experience, noisier. During my last visit I had an adjoining room with a party going late in the next room, and it took several complaints to get it fixed; at my request the RI refunded my charge for that night. Once the manager learned what I went through, he was quick to refund (offered points, I pointed out they offer a quiet room and a good night sleep, and I got neither). I am Gold, which might have helped some. One other point is that on weekends some of the families actually cook in the RI, and a couple of times the smell pervaded our floor -- once so much we asked to move.

Fitness rooms in both are similar, if you care.

Bottom line, if I am in Philadelphia by myself or when I convince my wife, I slightly prefer the CY. My rooms have always been large. If I had kids, I'd probably prefer the RI.

In both cases, ask for a room facing City Hall, and high up. It is a great building to see from that perspective. I have had less success getting this in the CY, but I was only Silver when I stayed there last, and hadn't asked before hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.