Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Philadelphia, PA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't stay at the huge Marriott Convention Center/Center City or whatever it's called not unless you're part of a conference that uses this property as its headquarters hotel. For big meetings, often the spillover takes over the RI and CY, so I would similarly be inclined to avoid them unless you know they won't be filled with some big group.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Don't stay at the huge Marriott Convention Center/Center City or whatever it's called not unless you're part of a conference that uses this property as its headquarters hotel. For big meetings, often the spillover takes over the RI and CY, so I would similarly be inclined to avoid them unless you know they won't be filled with some big group.
Check the events calendar on the Convention Center website for any big shows etc. Looks like tne American Institute of Architects meeting is on in mid-May.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Red259
Was thinking about heading to Philadelphia for a weekend and looking for good value marriotts to stay at. I would likely just take a train in from NYC, so I would not have access to a car. I am not familiar with the city. I am looking for a good location that is not super expensive that I can get to/from major attractions without having a car. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Residence Inn as a possibility since it looks central.
What do you want to do in Philadelphia?

If you want to visit Independence National Historical Park -- which includes Independence Hall and is near the National Constitution Center -- the closest Marriott property is The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park. It was the Omni Hotel at Independence Park until late last year. It's open for business under a temporary name. It will be renovated later this year to become the Renaissance Philadelphia Hotel. I haven't stayed there, but the location is great.

The Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, and the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown are clustered together around two thirds of a mile west of the historic district. I've stayed at the Courtyard, which feels much more upscale than a typical suburban Courtyard. I would gladly stay there again.

If you're looking for "good value Marriotts," compare the rates at any of the these four well-located properties for several different weekends. Use rate codes that you qualify for. Chances are that there will be some weekends with rates that are good values, especially if there's no convention that weekend and it's before or after the prime tourist season.

Another great attraction, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, is not in the historic district, but it's not too far from Center City (in a different direction).

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any hotel near any convention center in the world can be "filled with some big group." It's not a reason to avoid hotels. Staying at a hotel during a convention is not that terrible -- unless you have an aversion to people with rectangular name tags.

The OP is looking for "good value Marriotts." When there's a big convention, rates for other guests tend to be high. When a convention center is between big conventions, the adjacent hotels tend to have more affordable rates.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 30, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old May 2, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Depends on when you want to go to Philly. In May there are a lot of tourists that visit Philly before it gets too hot and humid. This includes school groups that can take up a lot of rooms, even on the weekends. Because of all the tourists, a lot of the historical sites can be very crowded on the weekends.

That being said, while the Philadelphia Marriott downtown is huge, I have gotten some great weekend rates there, even when a large convention is going on, and always score an upgrade. As others have said, it can be very busy though, but it is right across the street from the Reading Market, reasonable distance to the historical sites, and there are a lot of great restaurants nearby.

The only other hotel I have stayed at in Philly was the Four Seasons a few years ago, when I scored a $159 weekend rate there versus $219 at the Marriott!

Regards,

RIP...
Old May 2, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
As previously stated. All 3 marriott properties are right next too each other right downtown. They are perfectly located, because you can get to all the major attractions easily via cab or uber.

Personally my new favorite MR hometown property is the one at the navy yard. Close enough to get to the every site in the city in under 10-15 minutes, but far enough removed from the center city congestion. Some times you want to be staying right thick of things, sometimes you dont. Its up to each particular person and their feelings that trip.

Good call on not bringing a car, because the parking prices for those properties in the city are brutal, and you can get aroud without it. There is even a public transportation to the Mall in KOP, which is the only main attraction outside the city.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:44 am

Did exactly what you did, took the train down to Philly and stayed at the CY. We had tickets to Star Wars exhibit at the Franklin Institute. CY in historic building in Philly was great.
About 15 minute walk thru Logan Square between the two.
Old May 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
What do you want to do in Philadelphia?

If you want to visit Independence National Historical Park -- which includes Independence Hall and is near the National Constitution Center -- the closest Marriott property is The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park. It was the Omni Hotel at Independence Park until late last year. It's open for business under a temporary name. It will be renovated later this year to become the Renaissance Philadelphia Hotel. I haven't stayed there, but the location is great.

The Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City, Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, and the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown are clustered together around two thirds of a mile west of the historic district. I've stayed at the Courtyard, which feels much more upscale than a typical suburban Courtyard. I would gladly stay there again.

If you're looking for "good value Marriotts," compare the rates at any of the these four well-located properties for several different weekends. Use rate codes that you qualify for. Chances are that there will be some weekends with rates that are good values, especially if there's no convention that weekend and it's before or after the prime tourist season.

Another great attraction, the Philadelphia Museum of Art, is not in the historic district, but it's not too far from Center City (in a different direction).

Any hotel near any convention center in the world can be "filled with some big group." It's not a reason to avoid hotels. Staying at a hotel during a convention is not that terrible -- unless you have an aversion to people with rectangular name tags.

The OP is looking for "good value Marriotts." When there's a big convention, rates for other guests tend to be high. When a convention center is between big conventions, the adjacent hotels tend to have more affordable rates.
I'm going to do independence hall and the art museum, maybe the prison. I ended up booking the marriott near the convention center because it was $20-$40 cheaper than the others.
Old May 6, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm going to do independence hall and the art museum, maybe the prison. I ended up booking the marriott near the convention center because it was $20-$40 cheaper than the others.

Good call, Eastern state pen is a great attraction relatively not busy outside halloween. Be sure to hit up one of the restaurants across the street from it.

A tip about the liberty bell. If there is a long line to see it, walk around the back, and you can view it through the glass without the hour plus wait!

Its really just a bell, and not worth the 2 hour wait it sometimes gets to.

Constitution center is also worth a gander.
Old May 7, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The Eastern was featured recently on the Travel Channel - very interesting indeed.

For museums, don' forget the Barnes Collection. Unique method of display of great Impressionistic works.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:06 pm

and if you want to get weird, check out the Mutter Museum

http://muttermuseum.org/
Old May 7, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TomBrady
Good call, Eastern state pen is a great attraction relatively not busy outside halloween. Be sure to hit up one of the restaurants across the street from it.

A tip about the liberty bell. If there is a long line to see it, walk around the back, and you can view it through the glass without the hour plus wait!

Its really just a bell, and not worth the 2 hour wait it sometimes gets to.

Constitution center is also worth a gander.
I just got back from the trip. Didn't get a chance to make it to eastern state pen, but managed to hit up the museum of art, barnes foundation (along with picasso exhibit), rodin museum, liberty bell (was no real wait on this) and independence hall. I walked everywhere from the hotel which is a massive amount of walking. Hotel was ok. Even though I checked in with the app I had to wait around in line to pick up my key, so it didn't really save me much time in the end. Also, I didn't use the concierge as there was always a wait when I went down. I paid an extra $2 for the larger room. Room was quite large but it wasn't really utilized open space, although if someone needed a rollaway bed the room would be ideal for that. The room was in the tower with convention center, so a bit of a hike from the lobby. Room wasn't the cleanest, but was ok. In the future if the prices were equal I would probably go with the courtyard, but this property got the job done at a reasonable rate.
Old May 7, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
There is even a public transportation to the Mall in KOP, which is the only main attraction outside the city.
As someone who lives very close to that bloody mall, this statement is very sad. There are so many incredible things to see and do outside the city. For example, less than a mile away from that mall is Valley Forge National Historical Park.
Old May 6, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Personally my new favorite MR hometown property is the one at the navy yard. Close enough to get to the every site in the city in under 10-15 minutes, but far enough removed from the center city congestion. Some times you want to be staying right thick of things, sometimes you dont. Its up to each particular person and their feelings that trip.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend the one at the Navy Yard. Checked in tonight (8:15 PM) and found the directions to get here for 95 North to be lacking (to say the least). After a ride back down to the airport because I got dumped back on 95 South, we finally found the place from the 26th Street entrance to the Navy Yard and an unmarked tour of the yards.

We had reserved a "King room with Sofabed". The only room they had available was an accessibility room which has neither a sofa bed (the front desk said it would) nor a proper closet in which one could hang clothes so they'd be off the floor. Also no baggage rack to put luggage on. This was NOT the room I reserved. And frankly, there's really nowhere nearby for them to walk me to.

Further, there is not nearly enough off-street parking. So I was stuck parking on the street. For a hotel that pretty much requires a car to use, very little public transport especially at night), that's unacceptable. Especially when they're adding rooms.

The rooms are nice enough and the front desk did give an extra item from the store, so I'll acknowledge the gesture, but I'm not inclined to come back to this hotel again.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott(T)
Marriott Downtown Vs. Sheraton?

My conference organizers are offering good rates at either the Marriott Downtown Philly or the Sheraton Downtown. I've stayed at neither so am looking for current info on the Marriott Downtown. If you have comparable experience with the Downtown Sheraton that would be great.

V
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by voweffekt
My conference organizers are offering good rates at either the Marriott Downtown Philly or the Sheraton Downtown. I've stayed at neither so am looking for current info on the Marriott Downtown. If you have comparable experience with the Downtown Sheraton that would be great.

V
Both are OK. I am not sure if the lounge at Sheraton downtown is open or not. The Marriott Downtown is closer to Convention Center, City Hall, Chinatown, Independence Park; the Sheraton is closer to the Art Museum. I would pick the one that is closer to your destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.