Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Delhi [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: Free Agent
This is a great hotel, especially from a tourist’s perspective. Close to the main attractions such as the Red Fort, Chandni Chawk, National Museum, and the metro station (Patel Chawk). The rooms at the Le Meridien are modern and clean. Was upgraded to a large and nicely furnished suite as a Plat. Internet speed is decent. For plats, the hotel provides an option of a continental breakfast in the Lounge or full breakfast in the downstairs restaurant. Food is handled very hygienically. The gym is large, with a great selection of cardio and weight machines.

While the front desk staff are courteous and helpful, I found the Lounge staff to be indifferent. They’re usually off doing their own thing, and I was ignored once I entered. There are no self-serve drinks, so you have to flag down a lounge attendant to get a glass of water or soda. Glasses and plates from a visit 2 hours prior were still sitting on the table when I returned. Afternoon tea consists of a smattering of desserts and 3 hot foods, placed out 30 minutes late.

In addition, the car staff in the front of the hotel don’t understand English very well. For example, I was unable to request a taxi to be ordered in two hours time, despite talking to 2 people. They kept on insisting that I take a taxi immediately.

But despite minor flaws, an excellent property!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Airport transfers included in rate - are still charged?

I have an upcoming stay at this property. My rate includes airport transfers both ways. Does the property still attempt to charge separately for these transfers? A poster from 2009 indicated on this thread that they had to present evidence that its a platinum benefit (or was included in their rate, don't remember which).

Also, what is the breakfast buffet like at the property? Long lines? Decent selections?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:54 am
Used to be highman123

Just finished a 2 night stay here:

Pros:

- had a 5,000 INR BRG rate incl. breakfast, can't complain
- lobby looks funky, just remodeled
- breakfast has huge and mostly quality Indian and Western selection and makes great coffee, really recommended
- room config is nice though bathrooms are on the small side
- good location, Patel Chowk subway is just 5 mins walking distance, many downtown areas just a short Tuktuk ride, CP is walkable

Cons:

- reception folks did not understand me and my questions or I did not understand them
- had trouble getting Wifi to work every day, they use a stupid cookie-based system, cable Internet was fast and stable though
- both rooms I tried were smelly, pretty badly for some time
- Indian restaurant is just absurdly expensive by any worlds standard (a small curry and bread for $30!)
- there was some strange noise coming from outside (generator) that kept humming from on 8 AM and just made it very uncomfortable to be in the room (without headphones)
- no upgrade to Club level for Golds
- they put me in a smoking room although my room was non-smoking on reservation, complained and waited and got a new room
- gym is cramped and pool is just soso
- the whole place feels like these super old Sheratons, very old and musty

Overall I can't really pin it down but I really did not feel welcome there. It's not a 'bad' hotel but it missed out on every opportunity to win me over. I probably would try another hotel next time.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by highman123
- had a 5,000 INR BRG rate incl. breakfast, can't complain
Thank you for the report.

Where did you find such an attractive rate ?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:13 am
Used to be highman123

Le Meridien Delhi [Master Thread]

Try hoteltravel.com - but rates vary of course.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by raunow
Thank you for the report.

Where did you find such an attractive rate ?
it's not uncommon to find $100 rates in new delhi around july - august....
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: SPG
5000 is a great rate. I am staying tomm night for 6500. Will report on after stay
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Upcoming stay Feb, Mar 2013

I will be staying at this hotel in February and March using SPG points. Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems that I may be subject to the luxury and other taxes. Would appreciate if someone could confirm:
  • Whether I will be charged the ~18% in assorted taxes on the regular rack rate for a traditional room (which is what I've booked for my first stay in February)
  • I have requested a suite upgrade using the benefits of my SPG Platinum membership for a 5-night stay in March. I gather that I will be charged the ~18% taxes on the regular rack rate of the upgraded suite?

Would appreciate if those with experience could confirm or advise. Many thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by catgirl
I will be staying at this hotel in February and March using SPG points. Based on what I've read in this thread, it seems that I may be subject to the luxury and other taxes. Would appreciate if someone could confirm:
  • Whether I will be charged the ~18% in assorted taxes on the regular rack rate for a traditional room (which is what I've booked for my first stay in February)
  • I have requested a suite upgrade using the benefits of my SPG Platinum membership for a 5-night stay in March. I gather that I will be charged the ~18% taxes on the regular rack rate of the upgraded suite?

Would appreciate if those with experience could confirm or advise. Many thanks!
you will be charged the 18% on your room rate plus an additional tax for the upgraded room....i have paid anywhere between $10-$20 as the additional amount so its not that much....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Keyser
you will be charged the 18% on your room rate plus an additional tax for the upgraded room....i have paid anywhere between $10-$20 as the additional amount so its not that much....
So Keyser, just to confirm, my SPG award room (not upgraded, just a traditional room) for which I paid no money (only points) will also incur the 18% tax on the normal rack rate? I ask because a post from Starwood Lurker II in 2009 suggested that the "pure" points room would not incur any tax. Sounds like things might have changed?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catgirl
So Keyser, just to confirm, my SPG award room (not upgraded, just a traditional room) for which I paid no money (only points) will also incur the 18% tax on the normal rack rate? I ask because a post from Starwood Lurker II in 2009 suggested that the "pure" points room would not incur any tax. Sounds like things might have changed?
no tax on an award room if you are using just points....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:05 pm

For those wondering just finished a couple stays here on a vacation over the holidays.

The luxury tax is 1,450 INR for a traditional room and 1,650 INR for one of their suites (applicable to both Ivory/Executive and likely the others of comparable size). Definitely worth the ~$4 surcharge over a regular room. Don't sweat the upgrade if you have to pay for tax on the base room anyways!

They mention they work hard to ensure all plats get a Suite and you'll likely see them reassign your reservation before you arrive.

Really great staff and a great location!
Old Jan 18, 2013, 1:46 pm
Used to be highman123

I posted a trip report from my stay with a number of pictures and some sight seeing recommendations on my blog.

Le Meridien New Delhi Review
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Question Breakfast incl in points reservation?

Is breakfast included if you book a room using points only? Web site books into an Executive Queen room and doesn't mention breakfast but cash for the same room does include breakfast.

Also, I am only SPG Gold, any chance of a room upgrade during December winter holidays (hopefully not busy w/ business travelers then)? I understand that I will have to pay some $/INR in tax if upgraded.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:30 am

LM Delhi, a Lamborghini and a Valet

Boy oh boy. I'm glad I am not this poor valet:

http://m.smh.com.au/world/indian-hotel-valet-crashes-lamborghini-20140710-zt3hc.html

Last edited by camsean; Jul 10, 2014 at 9:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.