Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Delhi [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:41 am

I don't know about the LM--but just for your info, the Sheraton provides plat. Guests complimentary transfers from airports/railway stations even if you are staying on points!! So call the hotel and ask for it by giving them details of your arrival/departure. I suspect the LM will be doing something similar.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Just wondering.....Did you get an upgrade? What was the Platinum amenity?

Thanks!
Sorry, I just saw this today. I did get an upgrade as I do 90% of the time and I stay here a lot. I post the upgrades in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...hlight=success You'll notice quite a few from this property. The amenities I have posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...cal-gifts.html Other than the 500 points they offer a pedicure or a manicure. BTW the spa in this property is pretty beautiful. Better/cheaper treatments to be had in BKK but from the exterior one would never guess what an amazing looking area they have back there.

Originally Posted by Flews
Any recent experiences? I am booked for week after next.

Being told by some locals the place is a "dump" and the rennovations are very annoying. Yet I don't really get that sense from the posts here.

We have a rate of 8000 INR for three nights so I'd like to keep it unless somebody tells me it's just awful. Thanks!
The locals stay in the Le Meridien Delhi often? I'd be interested in what hotels they stay in locally. I've stayed in Hyatt Regency Delhi, Sheraton Maurya, Trident Gurgaon (when it was Hilton), IC (near CP) and Sheraton New Delhi. I don't remember the IC, but of the others, the only one that is a bit of a dump is the Sheraton New Delhi. It needs a renovation. I continue to return to this property because of the price and the service. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
That's decent for DEL - but I have no idea of current rates...

Does that include taxes as well?
From my experience that rate is exclusive of taxes. Please note that if you are upgraded the Luxury Tax will be on the rack rate of the room you are staying in and not on the INR 8000. This is true of all hotels in Delhi and some other states in India. This also means that if you are upgraded you will pay Luxury tax on the rack rate of the room you are upgraded into. The upgraded rooms are really great in my opinion.

More on this topic can be found in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/5705645-post36.html
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:16 pm

Sounds good, thank you. Very helpful.

By "locals", I mean the Embassy and other officials who are assisting with arrangements for our business meetings.

Cheers,
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:19 am

We we stuck with Le Meridien and had a nice stay.

No issues, good security and lots of it, some noise during the day from the renovations, but nothing beyond what you would expect. Atrium shops were obviously not open while they were being renovated, but didn't pick the hotel for the shopping anyway.

Very nice lounge on the top floor with an excellent breakfast each morning. All kinds of attentative staff.

Upgraded to a large, somewhat overstated (marble & cowhide?), corner suite. In fact, the decor thoughout the hotel is quite contemporary, not to my taste, but to each their own I guess. Free bottle of wine in the room, along with free fruit and or cheese plates in the room every night, and a chocolate plate upon arrival the first night.

Location was fine for our purposes.

At the price - 8,000 rupees - it was certainly great value for money in Delhi.

Had dinner at meat-lovers restaurant at the Sheraton - quite a nice experience - reminded me a bit of Carnivore in Nairobi.

Cheers,

Last edited by Flews; Feb 21, 2009 at 8:20 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:54 am

Upgraded to a large, somewhat overstated (marble & cowhide?), corner suite.
Glad it worked out. I hope your colleagues now realize the place isn't a 'dump'. On the other hand let them continue t dissuade people from staying there so the rates stay reasonable.

I've seen that version of the suite. Thankfully I've never had to stay in one.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 4:48 pm

We we stuck with Le Meridien and had a nice stay.

No issues, good security and lots of it, some noise during the day from the renovations, but nothing beyond what you would expect. Atrium shops were obviously not open while they were being renovated, but didn't pick the hotel for the shopping anyway.

Very nice lounge on the top floor with an excellent breakfast each morning. All kinds of attentative staff.

Upgraded to a large, somewhat overstated (marble & cowhide?), corner suite. In fact, the decor thoughout the hotel is quite contemporary, not to my taste, but to each their own I guess. Free bottle of wine in the room, along with free fruit and or cheese plates in the room every night, and a chocolate plate upon arrival the first night.

Location was fine for our purposes.

At the price - 8,000 rupees - it was certainly great value for money in Delhi.

Had dinner at meat-lovers restaurant at the Sheraton - quite a nice experience - reminded me a bit of Carnivore in Nairobi.

Cheers,
One caveat for some of the specialty corner suites (all corner suites are same in size and room orientation) is that their rack rates are much higher than the basic corner suite. So, you may have to an extra-ordinary amount of room taxes on the rack rate.

I was initially given the "Velvet" suite (all white decorations and leather)... and the check-in agent said they had upgraded me to a nice specialty suite thanking for my return visit and long stay as Plat. I asked about the tax issues and she said the tax would be 4300 IDR per night! Call it crazy but I was on a 7200 IDR rate and there was no way I was going to pay taxes that is more than 50% of my original rate. I asked how much would the taxes be on a regular corner suite and she said it's around 2200 IDR. Taxes on the club room was 2000 IDR. So, I said give me the regular suite... The girl gave me a tour of the "Velvet" suite and it was exactly same as the regular corner suites except that it was decorated in white leather. So, what's the point of spending extra 2100 IDR for nothing?

I am not very fond of India luxury hotel's tax scheme and it actually makes me not wanting an upgrade...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by brahms77
Call it crazy but I was on a 7200 IDR rate and there was no way I was going to pay taxes that is more than 50% of my original rate. I asked how much would the taxes be on a regular corner suite and she said it's around 2200 IDR. Taxes on the club room was 2000 IDR. So, I said give me the regular suite... The girl gave me a tour of the "Velvet" suite and it was exactly same as the regular corner suites except that it was decorated in white leather. So, what's the point of spending extra 2100 IDR for nothing?

I am not very fond of India luxury hotel's tax scheme and it actually makes me not wanting an upgrade...
I'm sure the hotel takes a portion of the "tax" for themselves, if not all of it.

This mirrors Jet/Kingfisher's actions on their air tickets as well - it is truly not transparent whatsoever...plus, these airlines were charging hefty amounts for fuel surcharges, but *never* paying their fuel bills to the Government-run oil companies - imagine this!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:00 am

I'm sure the hotel takes a portion of the "tax" for themselves, if not all of it.
Actually it is clearly written in the laws of a couple of states. You can see more information on it here in this post.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Actually it is clearly written in the laws of a couple of states. You can see more information on it here in this post.
And Indian institutions are *completely* honest with regard to this, I'm sure!

Stated in that post by the poster: "...that according to the letter of the law..."
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:54 am

Fortunately, we were on embassy/government business, so we were able to get the "luxury" tax reversed. Yes, it would have been a tax of 4300 IDR per night, or more than 50% of my 8000 rate, for that suite.

Cheers,
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:08 am

And Indian institutions are *completely* honest with regard to this, I'm sure!

Stated in that post by the poster: "...that according to the letter of the law..."
Personally I have found the poster to be pretty levelheaded and typically only accurate information is posted. I am sure that the poster of that post would agree with your suggestion that often Indian institutions and officials are less than honest. However, as it is in fact stated clearly in the law it would seem that we have little choice other than declining the upgrade. are you suggesting otherwise?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I am staying at this property on July, and I was wondering if they have a tourist desk where they could arrange a trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal? I know I could do it on my own, but I didn't know if they could arrange it for me. I am consideirng staying at the ITC Mugra in Agra to do it, but it would be nice to stay in Delhi the whole time. Thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by theblakefish
I am staying at this property on July, and I was wondering if they have a tourist desk where they could arrange a trip to Agra and the Taj Mahal? I know I could do it on my own, but I didn't know if they could arrange it for me. I am consideirng staying at the ITC Mugra in Agra to do it, but it would be nice to stay in Delhi the whole time. Thanks!
Yes they do have a 3rd party travel desk which could arrange this for you. This 3rd party also runs the hotel vehicle pool. They have brochures with suggested tours and prices. The drive will be about 4 hours each way. If you go to Agra you should also visit Fatehpur Sikri which is nearby. We stayed in the ITC Mugra last year and found it very pleasant.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 1:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I'm tentatively booked to stay at the LM Delhi in mid May. I got in for 5850INR with our corporate discount. But all the web site would show me were smoking queen rooms. Non kings at all. Even when I changed dates, bed prefs, smoking prefs, etc., the only thing it would confirm was smoking queen. I had a choice of executive, airport transfer or basic rate. As a plat, I don't think I need to pay for exec. lounge access, right? As a plat, it's been a long time since I've stayed in a hotel with a lounge!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Does anyone have the email address of the tour desk and/or concierge at this property? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.