Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 4:24 am
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Clarification - I'm a step up already as I don't have to bocker for an UG at the desk if space was available ^

But - they still give Plats the shaft when it comes to an alternate amenity (100 points a night? GMAB). And I'm assuming the minimum on breakfast...I'll report back.
I stayed there December 2013 and was given 100 points per night. Pathetic and insulting in my opinion.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
We're looking forward to a long weekend here at the end of the month.

What is the best way to book lift tickets/equipment rentals? Does booking through the hotel provide any meaningful discount?

Any updates on breakfast? Still the breakfast sandwich/fruit/coffee? Is it possible to upgrade to full breakfast for an upcharge?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peatisback
We're looking forward to a long weekend here at the end of the month.

What is the best way to book lift tickets/equipment rentals? Does booking through the hotel provide any meaningful discount?

Any updates on breakfast? Still the breakfast sandwich/fruit/coffee? Is it possible to upgrade to full breakfast for an upcharge?
I'm going this week so will update afterwards re: breakfast.

You can book equipment right at the hotel - no discount, if anything you're going to pay for the convenience of getting it there vs. offsite (I'm sure there are many rental places at all the little stores around Avon).

Haven't looked at lift tickets yet, that's my next plan
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
You can book equipment right at the hotel - no discount, if anything you're going to pay for the convenience of getting it there vs. offsite (I'm sure there are many rental places at all the little stores around Avon). :
There are some excellent local rental shops near the hotel. You'll get a much better deal going there than the Beaver Creek Sports in the hotel. I've had particularly good luck in the past at Christy Sports.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:28 pm

When I was there in January I rented Rosignol E-88s to demo from Beaver Creek Sports. I loved the skis! Beaver Creek wanted $800 for the while they were available online for $600. Beaver Creek Sports matched the online price and gave me credit for my two days rental. So don't be afraid to ask for a price match.

Concerning lift tickets, I saved by ordering online a week prior to arrival. Be sure to join Vail's Peaks Rewards program as it is essentially a 10% rebate. It is good at Beaver Creek, Breck, Keystone, Canyons, Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood and Vail.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
westin riverfront vs. sheraton mountain villas

... is a no brainer in my opinion.

I really don't have good things to say about my experiences at the Westin Riverfront. usually stay here on points / c+p for weekend ski trips up from denver, and by and large, there is little to no recognition for plats.

the property itself is great, but with the recent 'upgrade' in the SPG category - 5 to 6? going to go up in terms of points... making the sheraton mountain villa just across the street even more enticing for 10k points - AND the standard rooms are much, much bigger.

unless you need the 'gondola' to get to the lift for bachelor gulch, stay at the sheraton and take the shuttle directly to BC village where the real skiing is
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boognish24
... is a no brainer in my opinion.

I really don't have good things to say about my experiences at the Westin Riverfront. usually stay here on points / c+p for weekend ski trips up from denver, and by and large, there is little to no recognition for plats.

the property itself is great, but with the recent 'upgrade' in the SPG category - 5 to 6? going to go up in terms of points... making the sheraton mountain villa just across the street even more enticing for 10k points - AND the standard rooms are much, much bigger.

unless you need the 'gondola' to get to the lift for bachelor gulch, stay at the sheraton and take the shuttle directly to BC village where the real skiing is
The Westin Villas moved from 5 to 6 this year. The hotel itself remains a category 5 (same as the Sheraton), subject to peak pricing meaning redemptions are 4K (not 10K) points more expensive during certain periods.

While I agree that the plat recognition problems are an issue for elites and will certainly dissuade some people, I would still choose this property over the Sheraton regardless. The Westin gym/pool/hot tubs are absolutely top notch and the convenience of dropping skis and boots just a couple feet from the bottom of the gondola are a huge plus.

You're right - the best skiing is on main mountain and Grouse. However I must say I don't mind the bit of extra time I spend on the lifts to avoid the mayhem at the bottom of the main mountain. All told I imagine that it is probably very similar timing to ride the gondola to the BC Express lifts straight into Larkspur and Grouse rather than bus and wait in line.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 4:30 pm

If you rent equipment offsite, can you still utilize the ski butler/storage?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If you rent equipment offsite, can you still utilize the ski butler/storage?
You can if you BYO, so I don't see why not
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, not much else anymore
Originally Posted by md25

You're right - the best skiing is on main mountain and Grouse. However I must say I don't mind the bit of extra time I spend on the lifts to avoid the mayhem at the bottom of the main mountain. All told I imagine that it is probably very similar timing to ride the gondola to the BC Express lifts straight into Larkspur and Grouse rather than bus and wait in line.
Thanks for the clarification on the VILLAS - i've never used points to stay there. Also, good points on the skiing - it can be a bit of a mess at the bottom of centennial (hopefully next year's introduction of a 6 pack will alleviate base crowding on the few 'busy' days at BC).

It just feels like a beating having to go Gondola > Lower BC Express > Upper BC express and then a traverse to get to Grouse, but at least there are some nice aspen trees to ski through to bypass the last part of the traverse.

I probably shouldn't fault the westin for any of that - it probably IS a bit quicker and less stressful to get to the 'good part of the mountain', It's obvious I have some personal qualms with the management of the property that may cloud my opinion of the 'nicer' things it provides...

cheers
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mid-trip report

So - my over-arching qualifier here is that I booked C&P for a studio suite, SNAs went through to the 1BR, but day-of I saw that we had been further upgraded to a massive 3BR/3 bath suite ^ (kind of a waste with only 2 of us)!

So that big plus aside - wifi here is abysmal, and yes, the alternate amenity is still the incredibly chintzy 100 points/day.

However - MAGC is 1K points/night (which is pretty awesome, they still replaced towels, water, and coffee here today), Plat breakfast is quite respectable (see pic below) - coffee + juice, then take your pick of a breakfast burrito/sandwich, big yogurt parfait, good looking oatmeal, or a pair of pastries. I did the burrito (very good) and they still let me grab a basic yogurt too.

So all in all, a few downsides that IMO are outweighed by the benefits.

Old Mar 23, 2014, 9:44 am

Here now, enjoying it thoroughly.

Ski valet takes equipment no matter where it is sourced from.

Our SNAs didn't clear but thanks to our amazing ambassador we were upgraded to a 1BR suite- quite nice; the only downsides are that it has only one bathroom and the walls must be very thin as our neighbors complained about noise frequently (normal conversation at 930p on a Friday caused issues).

The hot tub/pool/spa/fitness center are all great. There are several great nearby restaurants- vin48 was excellent.

Staff was very confused about the alternative Platinum amenity- after talking to several different people/multiple phone calls nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. How did people get the alternative amenity at this property?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Staff was very confused about the alternative Platinum amenity- after talking to several different people/multiple phone calls nobody seemed to know what I was talking about. How did people get the alternative amenity at this property?
It's a huge PITA, and in the end I was credited 1,000 points as opposed to my 300 I "deserved" for a 3 night stay

Here's how you phrase it - "Since you charge a resort fee that covers basic SPG Platinum benefits, Starwood has mandated that resort properties offer an alternate amenity (note: NOT the same as the Platinum amenity) to compensate for this".

If you want to be snide (as I somewhat did on my stay ), you can say "some properties waive the resort fee, give free parking, credit $10 a day F&B...you guys apparently give 100 points a night".
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
I recently stayed here for 5 nights using points, then paid to upgrade to a 2BR suite (necessary for a family of 5). This hotel is great, but as others have noted don't expect Platinum pampering.

Platinum breakfast amenity option was a voucher for member and one guest for continental breakfast. The breakfast is not at this time as depicted and described in UA-NYC's post from March. There is a small casual table-service restaurant where one can choose a pastry or yogurt parfait, with juice and coffee. The other option is a muffin case set up on the bar with coffee. Very bare bones, I was pretty disappointed. I ended up turning the vouchers back in and requested points instead.

Note - there is a Starbucks a very short (~2 block) walk west from the hotel. Two doors from Starbucks is a great bakery.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 7:10 am

So - my over-arching qualifier here is that I booked C&P for a studio suit
Is this possible? I thought pts always booked into the traditional 2Q here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.