FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa in Avon, CO [Master Thread]
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:21 am
md25

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boognish24
... is a no brainer in my opinion.

I really don't have good things to say about my experiences at the Westin Riverfront. usually stay here on points / c+p for weekend ski trips up from denver, and by and large, there is little to no recognition for plats.

the property itself is great, but with the recent 'upgrade' in the SPG category - 5 to 6? going to go up in terms of points... making the sheraton mountain villa just across the street even more enticing for 10k points - AND the standard rooms are much, much bigger.

unless you need the 'gondola' to get to the lift for bachelor gulch, stay at the sheraton and take the shuttle directly to BC village where the real skiing is
The Westin Villas moved from 5 to 6 this year. The hotel itself remains a category 5 (same as the Sheraton), subject to peak pricing meaning redemptions are 4K (not 10K) points more expensive during certain periods.

While I agree that the plat recognition problems are an issue for elites and will certainly dissuade some people, I would still choose this property over the Sheraton regardless. The Westin gym/pool/hot tubs are absolutely top notch and the convenience of dropping skis and boots just a couple feet from the bottom of the gondola are a huge plus.

You're right - the best skiing is on main mountain and Grouse. However I must say I don't mind the bit of extra time I spend on the lifts to avoid the mayhem at the bottom of the main mountain. All told I imagine that it is probably very similar timing to ride the gondola to the BC Express lifts straight into Larkspur and Grouse rather than bus and wait in line.