Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Times Square [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 6:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Yeah, it qualifies for stays and points. Because you have to call to book, it doesn't qualify for the current promos. :-(
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Westin TImes Square - Junior Suites

I've gotten a junior suite upgrade twice (as SPG Platinum). However it's been the same room 3410, which while it's very nicely configured, it has no window over the couch area and the room is dark.

For those of you who have stayed in other junior suites here, can you post the room # and whether there was a window over the couch?

It will help determine whether I switch from the W Court on a permanent basis (my wife loves the location becuase it's so close to theatres and TKTS). Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Can't help you with room numbers, but I can confirm that some of teh junior suites do have a window over the couch area.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
Can't help you with room numbers, but I can confirm that some of teh junior suites do have a window over the couch area.</font>
Hard to determine a pattern. It seems like 3410 does, 3210 does not.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
In the middle of a stay at the hotel. I must say that I am not very impressed with this property. Maybe becuase last week I stayed at the Sheraton Russell and had a great experience I am a bit spoiled. The Westin is a massive hotel.

I was surprised that the club lounge is on the 8th Floor and the club level rooms are in this courtyard type atrium area (reminds me of an Embassy Suites) on these lower levels. (For reference there are 2 elevator banks for floors 2 - 20 (or something like that) and then floors 20+). When at collegue and I checked (both Platinums) we were told that since the hotel was sold-out for the night, our room type was unavailable (never mind an upgrade) and that we could get 2 rooms with with 2 double beds on the club level. Well when I got up to the room and realized it was the 10th floor with a tiny window and a view of the bus terminal, I called the front desk to arrange another room for the rest of my stay.

I talked to a manager who assured me that he would change my room for the rest of the stay (my collegue also asked to switch rooms as well). The next night, we did get new rooms on high floors (I have the same view but since I am now above the port authority don't mind it). However, since we are in the second elevator bank we are away from the club lounge and no Molton-Brown products or bottled water. My collegue was put into a room behind the elevator. He is a light sleeper and was upset by the noise of the eleveator and its associated traffic. He talked to another manager. She was very nice (as has everyone been) and not only offered to move his room yet again but also gave him 5000 points too!

As for the rooms and the hotel in general:

*It's a very busy hotel with lots of traffic even at Midnight and later.

*Staff is very friendly and wants to correct problems

* Bathroom - little to no counter space

* Club Lounge - spartan breakfast. choice of cereal, 2 juices, tap water, bagels and limited pastry selection (No bottled water or coffee cups to go).

*Rooms - unimpressed. The few that I have seen are small.

-club level: Bose waveradio clock, molton brown, bottled water, heavenly shower

-other floors: standard alarm clock, westin soap, no water, heavenly shower
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:05 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neo_781:
(No bottled water or coffee cups to go).</font>
at least the coffee cups to go seems like a no brainer. might be good to grab one of the manager's emails and send a suggestion list.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:28 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Westin New York @Times Square

Im staying there Monday and Tuesday nights. First night got a decent $199 rate, second night I burned 10K points. Im wondering if I can get some feedback on the following:

1) overall specs of the hotel
2) suite upgrade batting average for Platinums
3) service, etc.?

Thanks!!

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:33 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I suggest you use the SEARCH engine as there has been a lot of discussion on this hotel recently.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:36 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks, but no thanks. I kinds like to have my questions answered in my thread... (hope you have no hard feelings )
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:02 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
1) Its a great design and you'll love the interior and the furnishings. In my view the exterior is quite remarkable too. Its very convenient to get to/from, specially with Port Authority being right there

2) No suite for me so far as Platinum. But then again all my stays have been on weekdays where the probability of an upgrade goes down in NYC. I am 0-9. If you cannot score a suite, I would suggest a corner room on floors 35 and above (some of them end in xx19). I prefer these too the Executive floors rooms since they are somewhat larger and with a great view. Of course you don't get the water, but then you'll have lounge access.

3) Never had any issues with service. In fact, the front desk folks are amongst the best I have encountered. Everyone seems to on top of it.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 8:50 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAEXP:
I suggest you use the SEARCH engine as there has been a lot of discussion on this hotel recently.</font>
AMEN
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:33 am

We stayed at the hotel last week. Our corner room on the 20th floor had wonderful views even from the bathroom. The lobby bar has a great sushi bar. The drinks were very good and the menu did include some selections from Shula's. The service for our food from that part of the menu was very slow.
Both the front desk and the conciege staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Fresh towels and chocolates were provided when we requested turn down service.
Enjoy your stay!
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:48 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaucho100K:
Thanks, but no thanks. I kinds like to have my questions answered in my thread... (hope you have no hard feelings )</font>
No hard feelings at all, but why re-invent the deep dish?

Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:13 am

The promotion codes on other threads don't seem to work in December. Any good ideas?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 2:14 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm in the middle of my stay right now, and we booked the "Superior" room and got upgraded to a "Deluxe" room. When I looked online the day of arrival, they had changed my room from 2DB to 1K and since I'm traveling with a friend really wanted 2DB and so I had to call and fix that. But upon arrival, it was all good and we are on the 41st floor with a decent view.

Of course without getting into too much detail, it's quite a nice room and a decent location. Any complaints about the adult shops are crazy, there are just a few and overall it's a fine area to be.

I was in the business center shipping something and I noted some type of report that showed there were 92 platinum's in house on Friday and 11 arriving that day. Yikes! If there are only 800 or so rooms, that's more than 10% of the guests being platinum. That's not so elite!

Overall, a big thumbs up. Not my favorite area to be (I prefer the park), but my friend was taking her first visit and wanted to be by Times Square.

Updated to add: There were a few problems. It took 3 calls to the concierge's desk (leaving messages all 3 times) before someone would call me back about where and how a business could leave theater tickets for me. Also, sound insulation between rooms is not great (especially when opening the lovely window coverings...we heard it every morning).

[This message has been edited by bergamini (edited Dec 14, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.