Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL, US
mistake

[This message has been edited by dknn (edited 02-18-2003).]
Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I`ve stayed there 4 times and have no complaints. It has become my Starwood of choice in NYC.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 7:34 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Well given the thumbs up from recent visitors to this property I'm looking forward to my upcoming stay. Will be happy to report back on what I believe will be a great stay.
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Stayed there in 11/02: water leaked from room above, had to move.

Stayed there 2/03: fire alarm went on and off for over 4 hours, 2AM to 6AM!!!! NO apology from hotel, no upgrade as a Plat (yet my assistant got a corner room on high floor). Catering staff & meeting space are top notch - cool decor.

It COULD be one of the best hotels in NYC, but lots of kinks to be worked out.

------------------
Old Mar 14, 2003, 7:50 am

I prefer the Essex House, a Westin hotel on Central Park. Location is great and so is the staff.

Try them the next time!
Old Mar 14, 2003, 6:13 pm

The Westin Times Square now has a policy of stopping you when you enter downstairs, as you head up the escalator to the lobby. I was actually physically grabbed by the arm, while on the escalator, and pulled backwards by the person standing there. He apparently wanted to know where I was going, and wasn't going to let me "slip by".

When I arrived at the check-in desk, I was told quote/unquote "Your room's not ready right now. Come back later". The gentleman then stepped out from behind the counter, and actually waved me towards the down escalator, to leave.

When I returned again, at 5.30pm, I had to stand in a queue at the bottom of the escaltor to be questioned about what I wanted in the hotel again. At that point, I went upstairs, went to a payphone & called the Platinum concierge who got me a great room at the W Times Square.

When I informed the check-in staff at the Westin that I would not be staying, the manager was called over. He didn't even ask why I was leaving - just "Are you sure you won't stay?".

Bottom line - they don't make me feel like they want my business. I'm happy to give it to someone who does. W Times Square - my first choice for Manhattan.

[This message has been edited by jrk1998 (edited 03-14-2003).]
Old Mar 17, 2003, 7:44 pm

I just stayed at the hotel one night over the weekend and had a flawless stay. I was on the 35th floor (i think) in a junior suite. Room was decorated well with enough furniture, 2 tvs, etc.

Service was great as well. My room wasn't ready at 10am when I tried to check in, but I was offered a standard room instead of the junior suite. I opted to wait, and was called on my cell phone when the room was ready. I also ran out of towels, I called service express and towels arrived at my room within minutes.
Old Mar 17, 2003, 10:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I also stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago. As Platinum, I was upgraded to a very nice junior suite that was pre-assigned and keyed prior to my arrival at about 6 PM. I was advised about all the executive floor amenities and offered full access & then offered late check out if I needed it. Platinum amenity card was presented with a pen to mark my choice. Check-in was just what we all hope for.

I rather like this new Westin design. While I'm also a W fan, I find the new Westin motif ("modern luxury") to be modern with a little more emphasis on function & comfort – modern luxury, as it were. Nice.

My only problem with the stay was actually somewhat humorous. The junior suite is divided in the middle with a two-sided armoire that has a TV on each side -- one for the mini-living room and one for the bedroom. Whenever I tried to turn off the TV while lying in bed, the one on the other side of the room turned on. I'd get up and go over to the other side to turn it off and the other would come back on...and so on...and so on... Finally had to resort to dumping the remote and turning them off manually (gasp!)

Service was good throughout, including in the restaurant & bar. I, too, was asked to show a key upon entry but it was handled professionally so it just gave me an added sense of security.

I had a great stay here and wouldn't hesitate to go back. It's not the greatest of locations, but pretty central (especially for the Theater District) & all-in-all a very nice hotel with a great experience for me.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:07 am
Commander Catcop

Stayed at this Westin on a weeknight (wednesday March 12) for a theatre night out. Got a great rate of $199 (and booked it to qualify for that multi night promo for thousands of points bonus.)

There were two agents at check-in and there was a wait of about 15 minutes. The people checking in had a LOT of questions and the guy in front of me, a Platinum, was getting annoyed no other agents were brought in.

Finally got to check-in and was told "Sorry no suites, no upgrades tonight because the hotel is sold out." Got a corner room on the 34th Floor, don't know if that was a club floor. Was going to call SPG to check if this was the case but had to get to my show. It's no big deal but strange that I still have not managed to get an upgrade at this property as a Platinum. (have a stay up March 21 and one later in the spring.)

The room was of decent size and all the furnishing were great. Did not get a chance to do the breakfast but it was a nice tough.

Have to check the club room next time. And almost did Shula's but didn't know if they were still serving at 11pm.

Curious about the spa though since it might make a nice treat for myself sometime.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I stayed here on Feb 8-9. The doorman was *very* friendly and efficient in organizing valet parking. Upon approaching the up escalator, I was greeted (rather than accosted, as was the case for jrk1988) and asked if I was checking in. I wasn't on the list as I had decided to come to NYC at the last minute, and had only made the reservation a couple of hours before--so the attendant politely indicated that I should proceed to the desk.

Check-in was smooth, but no upgrade (hey, you can't win them all). The room I had faced another building, so it was quiet (my room also overlooked an interior lounge area, where an event was going on, but I didn't notice any noise once I was in my room.) The shade/blind system did a good job of blocking out the bright city light from outside (I am a heavy sleeper, but I like it *dark*)

I don't have much else to report, as I really utilized the hotel only for sleeping.

One thing I will note is, when I came down the elevator to exit the hotel the first time, I mistakenly took a few steps in the wrong direction (toward Shula's rather than the lobby), and then stopped to consider if I was headed the right way. A hotel employee--maintenance type guy--noted my confusion, and immediately stopped to inquire if I needed help finding something. I think when your "back of the house" people are conscious of customer service/satisfaction, you are running a good operation.

Pros:

--Staff friendly and efficient.
--Comfortable Westin bed.
--Good design to keep out city light/noise.

Cons:

--The bathroom sink looked like it was some kind of prison fixture--kind of like a bowl on stilts. I travel light, but it would be nice if there was room to put my shaving kit down somewhere. *shrugs*

I'd stay there again.

Regards,

O/H
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:56 am
Commander Catcop

Another Westin Times Square report: 3/21

I just finished another stay at the Westin Times Square.

Again, when requesting a suite upgrade (and even requested it in my on line reservation) as a Platinum was told "the suites are still under construction." (Last stay was on a Wednesday night... this one on a Friday night/weekend.) Was somewhat disappointed and did mention that a number of other Platinums posted on this bulletin board on getting upgrades.

Told the agent I was sorry to hear about construction delays.

Got a deluxe room on the 33rd floor which was fine enough. It had a nice view of midtowna nd was high enough to block out noise. Don't need to go into the purrfect Heavenly bed and bathroom.

Did not get a chance to visit Shula's but plan to on my next visit.

Did visit Bar 10 which had a very frinedly staff over there. The bartender, Sal, was written up in "People Magazine" for his Apple Martini (which I did not try.) Sal is very frinedly and mentioend a lot of local residents come to that bar on weekends for a drink becuase most of the other area bars and clubs are too crowded and noisy.

FYI: Smoking is NOT allowed in the lobby or bar of hotel. One couple stormed out when learning of it.

The hotel also has problems with the escalators... at least one going up to the second floor/lobby was broken in my last few stays.

An agent on the main level was checking for room keys as a security measure, which was fine.

Overall it's a good hotel which has a few kinks to work out.

THREE PAWS UP. (but like to try the suites sometime )
Old Mar 23, 2003, 12:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Catman:
FYI: Smoking is NOT allowed in the lobby or bar of hotel. One couple stormed out when learning of it.
</font>
If only ALL hotels would do this!

------------------
AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont President's Club Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Old Mar 23, 2003, 1:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Catman:
[B]FYI: Smoking is NOT allowed in the lobby or bar of hotel. One couple stormed out when learning of it.

[B]</font>
OT, but isn't this slightly ahead of the complete ban of any smoking in all bars and restaurants in NYC? Only downside to this as I see it is that it is one less item on the long list of reasons why SF is better than NY.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Catman, we were there the same night (last Friday) and were also not given a platinum suite upgrade. We were told the suites were "all occupied" and given a deluxe room with club access.

For those who haven't been there yet, the hotel is okay as far as Westins go. Room service is very good, but the room itself wasn't exceptional.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 4:22 pm
Commander Catcop

That's what I forgot... the CLub Lounge access.

It's a nice club lounge with a continental breakfast. I was happy they had Kellogg's FROSTIES! Bagels, fruits, yogert and coffee. I wish they had PEPSI

The lounge is also reopened from 5-8pm for drinks. The bar is on the honor system. Decent selection of beers. But no PEPSI!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.