Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Times Square [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:38 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AZ Travels the World:
Ohhh. . . Why start now? </font>
oh...alright.

i don't even want to hear the argument that people don't like to wade through years of old posts to get to the new stuff.

the westin port authority is a new hotel. there couldn't possibly be two year old posts.

so, this should have been attached to an existing Westin Port Authority thread.

okay, that's off my chest.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:35 pm

fly co, if you keep this up, you may be hired by Flyer Talk as an honorary moderator/study hall monitor.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
oh...alright.

i don't even want to hear the argument that people don't like to wade through years of old posts to get to the new stuff.

the westin port authority is a new hotel. there couldn't possibly be two year old posts.

so, this should have been attached to an existing Westin Port Authority thread.

okay, that's off my chest.
</font>
I like having different topics (about the same property) listed seperately. That way, when I do a search for 'Westin Times Square', I am able to see all of the different topics. I don't want to have to read about the shower if it is not an issue to me. If everything was in one thread, it would mean that one would have to sift through all sorts of different comments and feedback on a topic just to get to the point(s) that they are looking for.

If you look at the Hilton section of FT, you will find a thread that talks about Hampton Inns across the country. It is over 10 pages long, and a waste of time to try and sort through and read about a specific property that interests you. By seperating the topics out, we can avoid having run-on threads that become too cumbersome to navigate, thus losing their value.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:06 pm
Suspended

-"The Closet Door at the W Seattle was Broken"
-"There were no Milk Duds in my Mini Bar at the W Union Square"
-"The Toilet Paper Scratched My Rear End at the Sheraton LunchMeat Kansas"

nahhh...i'll pass on that suggestion.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Fly CO - why the negativity on calling The Westin New York at Times Square the "Westin Port Authority"? I realize that the front doors don't open onto Times Square - isn't it located in the Times Square District?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:24 pm

I was upgraded to the Presidential Suite on Saturday (4533), which is really quite nice (another story). However, I will point out that the double-headed shower head was not fully screwed in, which resulted in it spraying water out of the top of the head, in addition to through the two heads. I screwed it completely in, which solved that problem, but left the two heads in a non-vertical orientation. Oh well.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta, AA
Stayed there last week...as Platinum I was given a room on the 40th floor, but no suite. Room is OK size for NYC, but the one window gave a nice view of the city but not an expansive one. Bathrooms are small with very little counter space (a cart sat in the corner to make up for the lack thereof, I am assuming). Came back to the room about 5:30pm and the room was just being made up...had to wait 15 minutes to get in (this, after a four hour play).

Overall services was OK, but not spectacular. Location is not exactly "Times Square" but more 7th Avenue, which can border on the seedy real fast.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Actually Westin T.S. is right across the street of New York Times, where "Times Square" got its name. If Westin T.S. is not "in Times Square", neither is the Times. I guess if you want to be absolutely correct, "Times Square" should rename to "MTV Triangle" (It's really not a Square, either")

I finally stayed at this hotel. The style is more "W" than "Westin". The front desk staffs are professional and friendly. They are very eager to offer their help.

The room size is bigger than most other SPG hotels in NYC. I didn't get upgrade to a suite, but did appreciate the executive lounge open during the weekend.

My room is at the 10th floor (was told it’s the club floor) overlooking the 42nd street. The room is surprisingly quite. I couldn’t hear anything from the busy street. The bathroom is stocked with Molten Brown and the bathroom door really reminds me the W. The fitness center has decent weight equipment and nice view to look out. The Bar 10 downstairs is a bit disappointed. I tried the famous “Sour Apple Martini” ($13.50 including tip) but it tasted more like a wine cooler than a Martini.

Overall I will recommend this hotel, especially if you are platinum member and able to enjoy the executive lounge and fitness center.
Old Jul 23, 2003, 4:29 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bookexp:
Actually Westin T.S. is right across the street of New York Times, where "Times Square" got its name. If Westin T.S. is not "in Times Square", neither is the Times.</font>
not to split hairs, but considering i have lived for the past six years about 20 blocks from the new Westin Times Square (TS), i might have a bit better perspective than someone from LA.

the Westin TS is in the heart of the Port Authority (PA) area. PA is on 42nd and 8th, southwest corner. the Westin TS is on 42nd and 8th, northeast corner. during most periods, this is perfectly safe place to be. at night, it can be "gritty."

but, for sure, it is most certainly not in Times Square (which runs from 42nd and 7th/bway to 51st and bway/7th ave).
Old Jul 26, 2003, 5:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
It's funny the differences in perspective. I just completed an absolutely incredible experience at the Westin Times Square. When you exit the hotel (on either 43rd or 42nd Street), you step out into the world of Broadway Shows, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, etc. etc. I found it to be a great location. And, apparently they have the kinks worked out.

I checked in at a low promotional rate, was upgraded to a very large corner room on the executive level with great views. Very modern and comfortable rooms. Club Lounge is great, although it always amazes me that 4 Points Hotels typically have the best "refreshments." Spa is incredible. Price for exercise area sucks if you're not a platinum but they do offer a reduced rate of either $30 or $40 for up to seven days use of the exercise room (I can't remember the specifics since I didn't have to pay).

The only down side that I can give you is that I'm not a huge fan of Shula's Steakhouse - the hotel's restaurant and room service provider. But, service was excellent and food was predictably mediocre.

This was by far my best Starwood experience out of my last three (Sheraton Boston, W The Court NYC, and Westin Times Square).
Old Aug 1, 2003, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Can anyone comment on the category

"junior suite high floor city view" at this hotel, especially with respect to the view?
Old Aug 2, 2003, 3:42 pm

Big Jim -

If I might be so bold - what was the promo rate and where did you find it ? Thanks for any info - Mister Nice
Old Aug 3, 2003, 4:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Any time. The rate is $159 per night. I've included the link before. Unless Starwood has updated, you can't book over internet.

Also, be sure and print out the Summer NYC promo card contained on the referenced website.

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagepkey=948

There are also some other good coupons for shopping etc. (particularly Bloomingdales and Macy's.)

Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:06 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bigjim:
Any time. The rate is $159 per night. I've included the link before. Unless Starwood has updated, you can't book over internet.

Also, be sure and print out the Summer NYC promo card contained on the referenced website.

http://www.nycvisit.com/content/index.cfm?pagepkey=948

There are also some other good coupons for shopping etc. (particularly Bloomingdales and Macy's.)

</font>
How do you make a reservation with this rate? Calling SPG?

Do them qualify for stays/nights and Starpoints ?
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Calling central reservations just worked for me. It's a regular rate, so I'd be surprised if it didn't earn points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.