Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Diego General Discussion Thread (Which hotel is better? etc) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Note: I don't care for the location of Sheraton Marina and the W's aren't really appropriate for children. But maybe I should consider the Sheraton Suites?
I stayed at the Sheraton Suites last month; Enjoyable stay. The room size would probably be adequate for you; normal bedroom, but the living room had a couch (presumably fold-out), table, little kitchen area, etc.

No lounge if you're into that kind of thing, but they did have a little section of the dining area set aside with a couple bottles of wine (iffy) and beer (good selection) in the evening (peanuts & eggrolls for food - not worth the effort). Breakfast was okay, nothing spectacular - although the omelletes (which you had to order) were excellent and made everything okay

The location is okay; within walking distance of Horton Plaza (although a longish walk - probably just over a mile?) and close to Balboa park as well.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We've decided to go with the Sheraton Carlsbad. Although the location is not convenient to downtown SD or the zoo, this is offset by the proximity to Legoland and the beach (and a significantly shorter drive from LA). Will report back.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
We've decided to go with the Sheraton Carlsbad. Although the location is not convenient to downtown SD or the zoo, this is offset by the proximity to Legoland and the beach (and a significantly shorter drive from LA). Will report back.
Never been to Sheraton Carlsbad but in SD area Hyatt Mission bay is far better and "resorty" than most SPG properties (not sure about Grant - never been). Location is better than carlsbad where traffic to/from SD can be unpleasant.
If you have hyatt status (i believe you post on hyatt board frequently) this is probably the best option.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by 2belite
I have stayed at all starwood properties in San Diego and my least favorite is the sandiego marina.
I recommend against the Marina and Mission Valley properties. [/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by 2belite
As a preferred plus member, expect a normal room st the Sheraton marina property. I have been platinum for 10 years and have over 300 stays in San Diego and have never had a suite at this property. It is my least favorite property. .
Originally Posted by maize&blue
Adding my vote that Sheraton Marina should be avoided if possible.
Had an absoutely terrible experience at this hotel over the weekend. I shall never stay here again.

I am usually not one to cross a property off my "all time list" but this one is on it.

A couple of things to note:
1) Never got bottled water in the room. Called room service to request. Was asked "WHY" should I expect bottled water??? I simply mentioned that it was ON THE CHECKIN Card provided to me.
I was told I wasn't Platinum. Before becoming angry, I simply explained that I had been Plat for more than 10 years. Water ultimately provided. GRRRR

2) Concierge staff was surly at best.

3) Seeking Breakfast on a Saturday we were told by two separate members of staff that answering our questions wasn't their job and to see the person manning the desk. We were then told that seating near the window wasn't possible - despite 4 open tables. The "server manning that station was on break", but the maitre'd MIGHT be able to find another one if "we really WANTED". Just not worth it.

4) Told that returning a car before midnite and giving keys to the concierge would NOT result in an overnite parking fee. Got the keys to the Concierge by 6pm. Guess what??? You got it!!!
Bill arrives at 430am with Parking Fees to be credited up on check out.

5) Finally, while we had nice interaction with members of the checkin staff and the duty manager, this hotel is a "cruisers" paradise and so the lobby is absolutely crammed at two times per day. Then it is empty. My belief is that the hotel doesn't feel it NEEDS to cater to guests as there aren't many returnees.

Perhaps that's wrong but it is my impression and I won't be back. So they got that one right!
Dave
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:13 am

I have to agree that the Marina property is one of the WORST in SD. Once, we got a fantastic suite upgrade for one night (Plat), so we decided to go back.. Tried it a few more times (one night stays only). Second stay, was upgraded to SPG floor at reserved Marina Tower, no water, etc, not much for plat recognition. Third stay, we reserved Marina Tower, and the hotel switched us to Bay Tower - claiming the reservation was made this way (I followed the reservations online and saw the switch). Had already valeted the car, had to get it back, and drive down to Bay Tower, and missed breakfast because the Marina Tower was too far away to make the timeline - we were also never told there was no lounge in the Bay Tower. They also did not offer Plat amenity, nor did they post the stay to SPG account.. It was a mess.. We also had check-in problems, because even though I (wife) was listed on reservation, but they would not allow me to check in without hubby (Plat) and he was in meetings all day - resulting in a 10pm check-in.

If you have business up in the La Jolla area, I highly recommend the Sheraton La Jolla. The lounge is closed more often than open, but they offer breakfast and drink/appetizer coupons for the restaurant and bar for Plats. We have stayed there numerous times in the last few months, almost always been upgraded to a jacuzzi suite, and their staff is very friendly and responsive to specific room requests.

Robin
Old May 13, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I've stayed at the Westin Gaslamp (when it was the Horton Plaza). How does it stack up against Westin San Diego? I'm going to San Diego in a couple of weeks, and the Gaslamp is a little more expensive, but it's closer to where my conference is (Hilton Gaslamp) and I can get the AA bonus miles. Given that I like to see all of the Starwoods in a metropolitan area, would I be making a mistake booking at the Westin San Diego?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
It seems that the Sheraton San Diego Marina doesn't have it's own specific thread (or if it does it doesn't appear in the first 5 pages of search) so I thought I would post in this thread.

I have read that this property has something of a bad rep but mainly it seems as a result of lack of upgrades. I generally pay for the rooms I want with Starwood these days as my plat upgrades are too inconsistent and I almost never like to sat in a standard room.

The suite rates at the Sheraton Marina seem good and it also appears to be the only major chain property close to downtown with a decent pool area and outlook (rather than some concrete token gesture e.g. W and Westin Gas Lamp). I have a flexible reservation at the moment for a Marina suite which appears to be a large junior suite in the Marina tower. I would opt for an Exec Suite or a "Town House" but I am unsure if they are in the same tower as the lounge. Does anyone know where these room types are located?

Also are the issues at this property confined to arbitrary upgrades? I was happy to pay double the suite rate at the Sheraton for a suite at the W but the pool really puts me off and I have always found W's of variable quality (e.g. Hong Kong = awesome, W US NYC and W London = awful).

Any insight would be gratefully received.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K, Star Alliance Gold
I'd go for the Marina Suite in the Towers, just my opinion never having stayed in the other building.

You are in the same tower as the lounge and the rooms feel new and fresh. There's a blue and white nautical theme going on. The Marina Suites are two separate rooms (not like a typical Jr. Suite) but only one bathroom connected to the master bedroom. There is a bar/kitchenette area. There are two balconies.

It is a hike from the other tower, separate parking areas if I remember correctly.

The lounge is nice with great views and plush couches. The food is pretty simple during happy hour like cheese, crackers, soup, maybe a samosa. Alcohol if I remember correctly is not free to plats.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I stayed at the Sheraton San Diego Marina twice over the last 1.5 year. First time book a standard (deluxe?) Marina tower room, no upgrade. Second time I was upgraded to what it looks like exactly the junior suite you've booked. That room was rather spacious compared to the regular room, probably about 1.75 times the size of that. I was happy with the junior suite.

Just in case you didn't know - the club lounge is only in the Marina tower, don't stay at the other tower if it was just for that reason. Other reports mention also that rooms in the other tower feel outdated.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I have stayed at the Marina at least a dozen times in the past 5 years. The first was a Priceline stay that was pretty awful (being exiled to the "motel" next to the Marina tower to what they call a Lanai Room with two double beds, being told that there were no king rooms available when spg.com allowed us to book the max. number, and having our door banged on repeatedly in the middle of the night). A letter to the GM got an apology and and 5000 Starpoints.

The stays since then (and since I became Platinum) have not been perfect, but they have been much better. All of them have been in the Marina tower with access to the Club Lounge. Upgrades are rare; I have gotten a junior suite 3 times. However, the rooms are comfortable and the views are great. Check-in staff is generally pleasant.

There are a few negatives. The lounge does not serve breakfast until 7:00 a.m. This seems like a late time to start, especially for a hotel that is an airport hotel. There are no dining options nearby (except for the hotel options). Also, I always have to request water in the room. A few times I have been told just to use what's in the minibar, which always results in having to get the charge removed at check-out.

On an aside, the adjacent Spanish Landing Park is a nice place to relax on a typically pleasant San Diego day (IF you can avoid the homeless people who hang out there).
Old Jul 22, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Thanks for the responses, I had worked out from some of the reviews that the lounge was in the Marina Tower and thus this was the one to be in. On the main hotel website there seems to be photos of Marina Suites with 2 different layouts, one almost separate rooms and one what appears to be one large room, unless I am misinterpreting them. I had guessed from the fact there are no pictures of other types of suites that they are not in the more newly refurbished areas.

I figure for the price and location it is a fair deal.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 5:03 pm

Which of these hotels do you guys think feels "newer?". Aside from the W of course. We're heading down there in a few weeks and trying to decide between the Westins, Grant, and W.

Size of the room is a major factor. Bit worried that the W rooms are too small. Think 400+ sq feet should be good.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sailwind
Which of these hotels do you guys think feels "newer?". Aside from the W of course. We're heading down there in a few weeks and trying to decide between the Westins, Grant, and W.

Size of the room is a major factor. Bit worried that the W rooms are too small. Think 400+ sq feet should be good.
The Grant was redone afew years ago and looks great...

sdcarver
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:15 pm

OK, trying to decide which one in SAN to go with...

Looking at Sheraton Suites, Symphony Hall, US Grant, Westin Gaslamp and Westin SD.

I am lowly Gold, traveling w/ wife and 6 year old daughter. Taking a long weekend thanks to "teacher work days".

Requirements: somewhat cheap and convenient parking, easy to walk around to dinner and downtown attractions, ability to get a separate bed for kid. Sheraton Suites are not necessarily better in this regard as we'd easily trade space for convenience to Gaslamp/downtown in the evening. We fit just fine in a small hotel room as long as a rollaway is available (and not expensive).

Car is needed for planned trips to Zoo, Legoland and SeaWorld. And maybe the beach. I don't mind parking it a couple of blocks away to save vs. hotel parking rates.

Using 5th night free so Sheraton saves me 12K points. Sheraton and Gaslamp have standard King room available while US Grant has Accessible King or a Single (?). Westin SD only has double available.

Any advice? Would love to try the US Grant but am a bit hesitant with an "accessible King" room.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver,#1 Gold, UAL MP,SkyMiles, ASA MP, AGR, Nat EE
Personally your choices are actually decent Downtown, and everything is within walking distance to the Gaslamp, however your route choice can be a touch on the shady side to get there depending on where you stay. Also, leave the car at the hotel when you go to the Zoo, take the MTS #7 bus instead, drops you off at the entrance to the parking lot for the Zoo, and the rest of Balboa Park. A relative safe bet is either the Westin in the Emerald Plaza or W. Sheraton Suites is closer to Balboa Park but also a lil further from the Gaslamp.

'2NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.