Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Alfonso XIII, Seville, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 9:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
Thanks for the quick reply remymartin. I like your suggestion of purchasing a prepaid sim card. We actually have 2 old smartpones that could be set up. Too bad there is no weekly rate offered.
Are there any public spaces at the property that offers compimentary access?

Originally Posted by remymartin
CARose,

if you're not an elite I would recommend you get a local sim card instead. 1nt price at the hotel will cover 6 nts of data on a prepaid sim card. I actually opened 2 prepaids as I found out my first option didn't tether (yoigo) and was thus useless to me! I ended up with movistar. If you have an extra smartphone just set it up to tether and you'll be connected throughout Sevilla, not just the hotel!
Old May 13, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by CARose
Thanks for the quick reply remymartin. I like your suggestion of purchasing a prepaid sim card. We actually have 2 old smartpones that could be set up. Too bad there is no weekly rate offered.
Are there any public spaces at the property that offers compimentary access?
This http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...?propertyID=88 seems so suggest wifi is complimentary in the lobby. Perhaps it'll also work in the patio, where I'd much rather be posting on FT from puffing away on a cigar

Go with the tethering option, it'll be cheaper and you'll be online all over town. It'll make it a lot easier to move around. Sevilla is truly a walking city. I also recommend the TripAdvisor Sevilla app, which can be used offline if internet fails.
Old May 23, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Currently finishing my 4 nights stay (C+P). Used upgrade certs, one night was pre-upgarded exec suite, 2 -- junior, 1 -- had none left. All four nights were extended to a huge 1 bedroom suite with 5 meter ceilings (100 sq. m?). Maybe one of the best upgrades ever. Very nice staff, fantastic location, good wifi, and surprisingly, cheap food. Sirloin by the pool -- euro 21, Havana Club 7 y. o. -- 8, etc. Of course, cheaper outside but relatively to other Luxury Collection props -- very cheap. ^
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Trip report April 29th and 30th 2013

As a Gold Starwood member, I have always received outstanding treatment in SPG European properties (in many cases, even better than as a Hilton Diamond). We always use SPG points for our stays. We've stayed at some wonderful Starwood properties including the Grand in Florence (before it became the St. Regis), The Westin Excelsior in Florence and Rome and The Europa & Regina in Venice, The Le Meridian in Split, Croatia and the Westin Palace in Madrid. These were memorable stays and we now can add The Alphonso XIII way at the top of the list. This could be the most beautiful hotel and one of the best stays we have ever had. I am limited to only 20 pictures per post and I may have to break this report into two posts.

We arrived in Seville via the AVE from Madrid, a fast 2-hour ride in coach class (which was perfectly adequate). There was a taxi queue at the station (which, since this was our first train/city on a 10 day trip we mistakenly expected would be the norm). After a quick €8 taxi ride, we were welcomed at the hotel. Our bags were taken from the taxi by the bellman and we walked up the stairs to the lobby. As we were waiting to check in, we were offered fresh juice or citrus flavored water. Check in was fast and we were told we had been upgraded to a superior room on the 2nd floor. While we were waiting for our luggage to be delivered to the room, we were shown around the lobby and the public areas of the three floors and told that if we wanted a tour of the hotel, to meet back at the reception desk at 5:30.

In a word, WOW. The 9 month restoration did not miss a detail and the tile, woodwork and plaster carvings were pristine. The flowers throughout the property were beautiful as were the grounds.

As we came to learn, each floor has different styles of rooms. The rooms on the 2nd floor all have higher ceilings. Ours, room 201 had beautiful plaster work and was nicely appointed.

The hotel is a visual treat. We found ourselves taking the lift to the third floor and walking down several times to appreciate the beautiful ceilings, tiles and woodwork.

The outdoor pool and fitness center were top notch and there was also a Sauna.

Since I am a lowly SPG Gold, breakfast was not included or comped. Nonetheless, this was a special place and we HAD to eat in the dining room as it was so beautiful - and we felt that @ $52 for two, it was worthy. There was so much food that we felt we could almost skip lunch and go straight to late afternoon tapas.

Continued

Last edited by FrAAmer; Jun 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 2, 2013, 5:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold

When we met at 5:30, we were the only people taking the tour! Our guide had a list of unoccupied rooms and we were able to see some fabulous accommodations, the rooftop patio (available for use with special rooms or by booking an event), the banquet hall, and we ended in the American Bar for complementary wine and Tapas.

We loved this room:

Here's the view from our room:

Friends who visited Seville said two nights would be plenty. Obviously they didn't stay at the Alphonso the XIII . I was quite taken by Seville and feel that three nights three days would be the perfect visit, allowing for some "down time" in the middle of the trip to enjoy the hotel, the pool and have a more "relaxing" stay. The hotel is in the PERFECT location. One could visit the Alcazar in the morning, have a relaxing time around the pool, then head to the Barrio Santa Cruz for some early Tapas and then a evening walk along the river before a late dinner. Same for the Cathedral and the Bull Ring.

Speaking of the Alcazar, there was ALWAYS a long line of people waiting to buy tickets, but never anyone in line for those with "Reservations". I inquired at the hotel and they showed me a website where for a €2 service charge you could purchase a timed admission. Best money ever spent! We bought the tickets, the hotel printed out out reservation and we bypassed the line! The only hang-up was that my credit card was initially declined on-line (Chase Sapphire Preferred) though I had no trouble using it in any store, hotel or restaurant - only on-line. The website gave me a # to call collect and the hotel called it for me. It turns out to use the website, the credit card needed to participate in "Verified by Visa" which Chase did not - but my other card- The Citibank Hilton Reserve did and the agent was able to get authorization and the hotel printed out the voucher.

This is a wonderful hotel with super friendly people eager to please. It would be the perfect romantic honeymoon/anniversary stop and I recommend it highly.

Last edited by FrAAmer; Jun 2, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
FrAAmer - thanks for taking the time to post all of those pictures. Coincidentally, my wife and I had been talking about Seville over breakfast yesterday and so it was great to come on here and find all of these new pictures. It looks like a great property - thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle

I just returned from a visit with my family of three Sevilla and the Alphonso VIII hotel. All the guidebooks don't do justice to Seville. It was great. The hotel was equally fabulous. It might be too opulent or ornate for some, but we found it elegant and very comfortable.

We had a Jr Suite via a confirmed Award Suite night. It was a spacious and elegantly decorated room (234). They told me it was the best Jr Suite in terms of size, although I have to no way to confirm that statement. The welcome amenity was extra virgin olive oil and 2 leather credit card holders with the hotels name and insignia imprinted on them. The toiletries were absolute high quality. Wish I had stayed a few more nights to take extras home.

The pool area was outside and was excellent. The cabana is their workout facilities and again were terrific. The equipment was state of the art with a internet monitors on every machine.

The breakfast was very good. There are many comments and pictures on this subject, so I won't add more, but I confirm what I have read and seen in this thread.

The location is in the center of town and near the cathedral and many shops and restaurants. The narrow and windy streets were a fun adventure.

The service was very good. Although, service at the Americano Bar was very slow. Fortunately, we were not in a rush. An hour for patate frite is an example. This was the service exception and not the norm. Interestingly, the staff spoke English pretty well. We found every one very helpful and nice. In closing, I would rate this hotel one of my two favorite Starwood hotels, with the Grand Hotel in Florence being the other.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:16 am

This is one of my aspirational properties in Europe and I am planning a stay in March of 2015 - would this be a good time in Seville? Thanks in advance
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:16 am

Excellent choice! The property has a nice pool, thus April / May might be even better.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:27 am

Just found and booked 2 C&P nights for my honeymoon in September. I was just wondering, does anyone know what room categories the upgraded C&P awards book into? Was thinking it might be worth it, unless the "Deluxe king" I booked is already nice enough? I don't have status with SPG.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Thank you frAAmer

Our next target Luxury Collection Hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:13 am
Suspended

Amazing pictures!!! Sheesh I love Spain.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by kdoughboy
Just found and booked 2 C&P nights for my honeymoon in September. I was just wondering, does anyone know what room categories the upgraded C&P awards book into? Was thinking it might be worth it, unless the "Deluxe king" I booked is already nice enough? I don't have status with SPG.
The Grand Deluxe rooms are really nice and visibly bigger (hotel website states 43m2) than Deluxe rooms (25-35m2). You really want a view of the castle instead of the courtyard. Have a nice honeymoon!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Sorry if this has already been covered but Plats get the free breakfast buffet or only a continental option?
I am hoping I get both the full breakfast and the free internet but prior posts leave me wondering.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by postular
Sorry if this has already been covered but Plats get the free breakfast buffet or only a continental option?
I am hoping I get both the full breakfast and the free internet but prior posts leave me wondering.
Plats should get free Internet throughout Starwood without sacrificing either points or breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.