Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Alfonso XIII, Seville, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Hotel Alfonso XIII, Seville, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
<snip>Bottom line - worth staying purely because of the stunning building and interiors, but multiple issues with maintenance, service and breakfast mean it's absolutely not Four Seasons territory.
Ummm... does anyone actually think this hotel is a competitor or in the same category as a Four Seasons?

Looking at random dates next spring, this property doesn't even remotely price out in the same category as most European Four Seasons. For example, the only FS in Spain is in Madrid and for the same random nights next March (2024) the FS Madrid is easily more than double the rate of the Alfonso.

I always appreciate your perspectives, just not sure why the comparison to a FS is relevant. It never even would have crossed my mind to consider this as being in the same category as FS. If I'm looking for a FS, well, then I'd go to an FS.

Regards
Old Dec 17, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
How does the FS Seville compare rate wise to this hotel?
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
How does the FS Seville compare rate wise to this hotel?
There is not a Four Seasons in Seville. That is why I referenced Madrid as a point of comparison.

If there was one, you could simply look up the rates yourself at fourseasons.com

Regards
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
So if I’m in Seville, this would possibly be a great option though not a FS as the poster said.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by dingo
So if I’m in Seville, this would possibly be a great option though not a FS as the poster said.
I really have no idea why we are muddying the waters here. I can't imagine why anyone staying at a Marriott hotel that provides point redemptions would think they are staying at the equivalent of a Four Seasons. It's not. These two are not at all in the same competitive category.

One can discuss the value of staying at Hotel Alfonso without needing to compare/contrast it to a hotel company in a completely different competitive category.

But you do you...

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... does anyone actually think this hotel is a competitor or in the same category as a Four Seasons?
No. But that's clearly not what Raffles meant.

It seems obvious that Raffles meant the property was great ("stunning"...) but lacks some of the luxury finesse you might expect from a Luxury Collection hotel, and shouldn't be considered at the same level as a hotel such as a Four Seasons; he could easily have said St Regis or Ritz-Carlton. That's a useful perspective to a reader who hasn't stayed before. It's a bit autistic to assume he was conducting a forensic spreadsheet analysis of comparable rates and brand standards!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
No. But that's clearly not what Raffles meant.

It seems obvious that Raffles meant the property was great ("stunning"...) but lacks some of the luxury finesse you might expect from a Luxury Collection hotel, and shouldn't be considered at the same level as a hotel such as a Four Seasons; he could easily have said St Regis or Ritz-Carlton. That's a useful perspective to a reader who hasn't stayed before. It's a bit autistic to assume he was conducting a forensic spreadsheet analysis of comparable rates and brand standards!
If it was "obvious" I wouldn't have commented, so no it's not "obvious." There are countless discussions in the Marriott forum, specific to Luxury Collection hotels, that do not require bringing up/referring to Four Seasons (or similar properties). Just because Marriott decided to create something called "Luxury Collection" and slap various properties in it, does not, ipso facto mean those properties are in the same competitive space as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc. In fact, I'd even say most LC properties aren't in the same league as The Ritz-Carlton or St Regis (not saying "none" but most are not)

Furthermore, it's only a "useful perspective" if the reader is someone who has, or frequently does, stay at a Four Seasons (or RC or StR). Again, given the price point and the award redemption capability at the Hotel Alfonso, I doubt a very high percentage of customers fit that bill.

And "a bit autistic," seriously? That is pretty stunningly insulting. No sure why one has to stoop to insults in order to have a discussion (even when disagreeing) about hotels. Just because someone sees an issue through a different prism than you do doesn't mean they are "autistic."

I made a simple comment that I don't see a need to compare this property to a Four Seasons (or a RC or a StR) and I think few other customers would either. And I stand by that. Agree, disagree, or move on with your life. Frankly, I could care less.

Regards
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
If it was "obvious" I wouldn't have commented, so no it's not "obvious." There are countless discussions in the Marriott forum, specific to Luxury Collection hotels, that do not require bringing up/referring to Four Seasons (or similar properties). Just because Marriott decided to create something called "Luxury Collection" and slap various properties in it, does not, ipso facto mean those properties are in the same competitive space as Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, etc. In fact, I'd even say most LC properties aren't in the same league as The Ritz-Carlton or St Regis (not saying "none" but most are not)

Regards

Seemed pretty obvious to me, in context.

It goes to the very point you make at the end. LC spans a huge range of properties. From dumps like the Saint Anthony in San Antonio to gems like the Augustine in Prague. By no means are either a RC or FS and for my tastes on style and hospitality that's a good thing. He wasn't trying to comprae all LCs to Four Seasons but set a comparison of this one individual property that is in a 'catchall' brand for readers.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 11:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Had a great stay at this property. Staff were great, breakfast was a very expensive and generous buffet. Only upgraded to a Grand Deluxe room but that was fine as we were not in the room very much anyway. Location was perfect and it was a great time to be in Sevilla.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the pool still unheated?
Are tourists still allowed to wander the lobby to snap photos or has security improved?
Do suites use Acqua di Parma or Elemis these days? or are they, too, now using pump bottles of Byredo?

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Mar 31, 2024 at 6:11 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are tourists still allowed to wander the lobby to snap photos or has security improved?
I took a trip to Seville from Malaga in January and did walk in and check out the lobby for a few minutes. No one said anything to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.