Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Alfonso XIII, Seville, Spain [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Hotel Alfonso XIII, Seville, Spain [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
R.I.P. Starwood.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Had a phenomenal stay here as an Ambassador Elite on a cash stay.

I had booked a Deluxe room for around $500/night and applied SNAs. My SNA request was denied the night before my stay, and the certificates were redeposited into my account. So it was a great surprise when, upon arrival, I was told we had been upgraded to an Executive Suite on the 2nd floor. The suite was massive and gorgeous; there was even a relatively playable piano in the living room. The hotel also supplied a bed in the LR for our son and waived the €80 fee.

On our first night, they left a bottle of Laurent Pierre rose on ice for, along with a dozen high-quality chocolates. Another night they left a local bottle of wine, and for our final night they left a bottle of locally-produced cologne. The front desk also proactively checked in almost daily to ensure we were having a good stay and see if there was anything we needed.

We ate ate at one of the restaurants, Ena, and found it quite good. The lobby bar selections were excellent. I found the breakfast quality to be a little hit-and-miss, but I’m not much of a breakfast person in the first place.

Overall, this was one of my best stays anywhere. I’d consider returning to Seville just to experience the hotel again, using it as a home base for exploring more of the surrounding area.

Old May 28, 2019, 3:47 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Some hotels consistently treat Elites in a manner that inspires return visits. Alfonso is one them. This is one of the great hotels in the portfolio.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by acrophobia

Overall, this was one of my best stays anywhere. I’d consider returning to Seville just to experience the hotel again, using it as a home base for exploring more of the surrounding area.

We did this for a week and it was amazing! one of my favourite hotels in the world! and the region is beautiful and very accessible! Little tip flying into Faro airport and renting from there was much cheaper for us than flying to Malaga.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I stayed here for 5 nights in January, just before dropping from United Fake Platinum to United Fake Gold status. It's a beautiful hotel, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. I agree 100% with the breakfast buffet. But, my father (who is a Titanium) did not receive a room upgrade or any special recognition or other touches. So, YM definitely MV.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Completed a 5 night award stay at the Alfonso XIII last week as part of a trip to Spain. Sadly, it doesn't seem they're being as generous with upgrades as they once were; as a Titanium I received a one-category upgrade to a Deluxe room; they were still selling several higher categories when we checked in. I should have asked if anything better was available, but I got a little confused about the room categories and thought we'd gotten one of the rooms with a terrace.

Amenity breakfast was the full buffet -- which as others have said, is very impressive for a European hotel, with someone to please just about everyone. We enjoyed it a great deal.

As per acrophobia 's review above, we also got a nice welcome amenity of chocolates and sparkling wine on the first night, a bottle of another local wine and cookies on the second night, and a cologne spray the final night.

I did find the staff to be a little curt on a few occasions -- for example, when we checked in, they gave us details about breakfast (including showing us where it was and writing down the hours) but apparently forgot to give us coupons. When we got to breakfast the next day they took our room number and nodded, and so I was surprised to get a check for the full price. When I mentioned we'd selected breakfast as an amenity, they were very insistent (almost to the point of rudeness) that I sign the folio and go to the front desk to resolve the issue. At a Luxury Collection property, I would expect a bit more grace; would it have been so hard to phone the desk quickly and confirm? It was eventually resolved by the front desk, but left a bit of a bad taste.

I also found the bathroom in our room to be disappointing. In particular, the bath made for a terrible shower; it had a nearly useless glass half door that leaked profusely, a rain shower head mounted far too low, and a hand shower that couldn't be raised to a reasonable height. The leaking water ends up on a polished marble floor, making for a slippery mess when climbing out over the high, contoured walls of the tub. We eventually ended up having them bring two anti-slip mats (one for the shower and one for the floor) which improved the situation a lot.

Despite those quibbles, we enjoyed our stay a great deal -- it's a lovely historic property in a great location in Seville. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, though I would probably be a lot more proactive about trying to get myself into one of the suites with a separate shower.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Had a stay there two years ago. Staff was amazing, place is amazing...breakfast is amazing....so when asked at check-out what I think of the place....told them simply amazing property....sad the room was zero upgrade and room was the smallest I had in years in any SPG/Marriott property....just made the comment. Less than 24 hours later, Front Desk Manager (if I'm correct) came back with...we are sorry for the room size, let me refund you half of the points (was a point stay). Well...not expected, this is what I call caring. Hope to be back at some point...
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:15 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Alfonso XIII

Hotel Alfonso XIII

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Hotel Alfonso XIII

San Fernando 2 Seville, ES 41004

Alfonso XIII (7 Photos)

Hotel Alfonso XIII

Check In

I arrived at the hotel a couple of hours before official check in (15:00) and was told that the room was not ready. They took down my phone number and told me they would call me, once it was done, after about 30 minutes. Within 30 minutes I did receive a call, but I was already on the hop-on hop-off bus getting an overview of the city. 

Once I returned I was personally brought to the suite. The luggage magically followed without any intervention. I had used an SNA to get a better room, plus had paid 9k more points for an upgraded room. In the end I got a huge suite with lots of space. According to an in-room leaflet the list price of the room was around 4500 EUR per night. I found online rooms of a similar size for around 650 EUR per night for the same night. In any case, I was happy!

Room

The living room was very spacious with a dining table, piano and large sitting area. Some of the original decorations from 1929 are still on display. The suite had 1.5 baths. All of it was just wonderful. It is better that I just let the pictures tell the story.

IMG_0830.jpeg1_IMG_0831.jpeg1_IMG_0832.jpegIMG_0833.jpegIMG_0834.jpegIMG_0835.jpegIMG_0837.jpeg

If I had to be picky and critisize then I might mention that the cleanliness was not perfect. The minibar items, for instance had dust on them. It was certainly not anything more than a minor item.

Dining

I had the breakfast, which was good. It was not exemplary as I had been lead to believe from the posts. There was an omlette station and a wide selection of items European and Spanish items available to cater to carying tastes. There were also two tables set up with Chineese cuisine. Not sure if this is always the case, or only when they have many Chineese guests, as was the case during my stay.

There is also a brunch offered on Sunday. I suspect that this meal may be more exemplary. However, the brunch costs additional. After the big breakfast, I did not even begin to think about eating a brunch. :)

The staff was not particular fast about cleaning dirty tables and it was sometimes challenging to get their attention for coffee.

The location is extermeley central. For tourists, you cannot get better. Most things are in walking distance. Simply perfect.

Service

The staff was always very friendly and quick to meet needs. I always enjoy when they have shoeshine service included as this hotel does.

The hotel offers a 20-30 minute historical tour of the hotel at 17:30. I did not make the tour, but imagine it is interesting. I think it is targeted to status customers, but I imagine that all interested guests can join.

I liked the chocolates and cava on ice that was in the room. Nice touch!

Alfonso XIII

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Alfonso XIII?

No, thank you.
Yes
MorganB and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Any recent stays? I’ve got a few nights booked in the near future and I was wondering if covid has diminished or enhanced the experience.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:19 am

Has anyone had any experience getting a covid test while a guest at the hotel?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:38 am

I am LT. I had to push for an upgrade but I booked a single and got upgraded to what they call a deluxe suite.
The room had a small living area that could be closed off from a large bedroom and generous bathroom too.
The complimentary breakfast was quite the delight. It was more like a brunch.

I did think the housekeeping was a little lax. They didn't empty the trash, replace soap, left crumbs on the couch, etc. Not what you would expect at this kind of hotel.
Overall though it was nice and staff was lovely.

The hotel booked a Covid test for me at a nearby private hospital. It was EUR 40 for a rapid test including round-trip taxis. The taxi was about 10 minutes each way.
I know just a bit of Spanish and it was still a challenge to figure out what to do.
It was a Saturday morning but I had to ask in my terrible Spanish where to go. You had to find an office on the 2nd floor and you kind of just figured out what to do. They called a taxi for the return and wrote the number down so you knew which one was prepaid.
The results were available, printed and given to me in 15-20 minutes.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
Any recent stays, or advice on which room type to book, we are arriving in July
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I swear I took photos of this hotel and our suite, but the phone tells me otherwise, but the entire place is absolutely stunning. Used SNAs to upgrade to a one bedroom suite, which was beautiful. We received a bottle of sherry and some tasty baked goods as an Ambassador welcome gift. Service here was incredible - everyone was incredibly nice and helpful. Location is fantastic - Alcazar and the Cathedral are close by, Plaza de Espaņa is close. Tons of amazing food options within walking distance. Would come back in a heartbeat.

The only scary part is if you're driving in - you're basically going into a pedestrian walking area and need to fight horse-drawn carriages and people to get into the hotel.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As this thread has been revived, I published a detailed review in October from a stay in the summer - https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...-xiii-seville/

Bottom line - worth staying purely because of the stunning building and interiors, but multiple issues with maintenance, service and breakfast mean it's absolutely not Four Seasons territory.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
As this thread has been revived, I published a detailed review in October from a stay in the summer - https://www.headforpoints.com/2023/1...-xiii-seville/

Bottom line - worth staying purely because of the stunning building and interiors, but multiple issues with maintenance, service and breakfast mean it's absolutely not Four Seasons territory.
Your pictures are fantastic - we didn't have any problems with maintenance in our room, but it is disappointing that there are some that are in the state you document. Hopefully they will correct that soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.