Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Print Wikipost

The Westin Verasa Napa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA, HH
Same runaround on reservation honoring

I'm supposed to check in for a points stay in a standard king on Weds of this week. Each time I call the property, I get a different answer.

I'm flying from the East Coast and have work in Napa over the next week. The manager I spoke with today was evasive when I asked if an SPG Lifetime Plat such as myself is getting cancelled, who is getting the rooms that are habitable?

I've had this booked for 7 months.

Lurkers? Advice?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by RedSoxNation
I'm supposed to check in for a points stay in a standard king on Weds of this week. Each time I call the property, I get a different answer.
So they already notified you that your reservation was cancelled, or you get a different answer when you call? If they notified you, how long in advance did they notify you, and are they offering any help?

I have an upcoming reservation and am just wondering what to expect.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA, HH
It was very conflicting stories when I called. I got an email that said I was ok. But when I called to double check, I always got a different story.

The damage is more extensive from the earthquake than they first thought. I was told they will be canceling most reservations into October.

I was was placed in another property in Napa today at their expense so they did as best as they could in my situation. I did consult William who contacted them on my behalf.

Good resolution I believe.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
I am currently staying at the Westin Napa.

From the drive up to the hotel it is obvious that there has been quite a bit of damage to the hotel. There are two large trailers parked outside the hotel from a disaster recovery company and a few of the balconies of rooms are visible damaged. In the hotel lobby there are only a few signs of damage, but otherwise it appears normal. Normal that is apart from the lack of people.

I've only looked on the 3rd floor, but one entire wing of the hotel is blocked off. Walking to my room I see most rooms have tags on the doors and some are propped open and there's evidence of the repairs underway. There's a large dehumidifier in one hallway. It's hard to estimate just how much of the hotel is open, but it doesn't seem very much.

The staff and the service is at the same level it was before the earthquake and everything seems to be running smoothly, just in a diminished capacity. I hope they are able to recover quickly.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Scheduled to stay this weekend for 1 night. Just got the e-mail today about the cancellation. They offered the following hotels:
  • Sheraton Petaluma (sold out, but may be available using Platinum guarantee)
  • River Terrace Inn (Special Verasa rate was not available, but a special Sunday late check-out package is available for $579)
  • Silverado Resort (Sold out)
  • Meritage (The person answered the phone was uncertain about the special arrangement. Ultimately negotiated a $359 rate.)

Based on my conversation with the Platinum line, there may be a total of 18-25 rooms total that are available. Still, the hotel management could have been more forthcoming in terms of what the negotiated rate at each of the other properties should have been so it's not a guessing game. Additionally, if they knew that they could not accommodate all guests, they should have notify people sooner than 6 days prior to the trip. Very poor planning.

UPDATE 9/15: Just got a call from the hotel, basically to confirm that I received the e-mail. The person said that the displacement rate at the Meritage should have been "about $300", so they are going to call and adjust the rate on my behalf. We'll see how it works out.

Last edited by PTahCha; Sep 15, 2014 at 3:40 pm
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Update 9/19: So the hotel never called back. Called the hotel and asked for a manager, and now they claim they only reserved a block of room, but the rate is not negotiated.

While the short notice is unfortunately, it's slightly better than the big fat donut we got from Hyatt corporate and Andaz Napa cancellation in October.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like you'll be at the Meritage, but of your list, I would have advised taking the Sheraton Pentaluma (which doesn't feel like a standard USA Sheraton at all) and focusing your wine tasting activities on Sonoma, which IMO is more pleasant and less touristic anyway, although it would be interesting to see the effects of the quake if doing so doesn't take you into a traffic mess with closed roads, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, IC Plat AMB
Sheraton Petaluma is a fun hotel, but is not an alternative to being in Napa. While I agree that Sonoma is a fun place to visit and the Pinot Noir wines from Russian River are some of my favorites, unless you are in Bordeaux, there is nothing like Napa Valley wine.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
How have people with more recent stays fared? I see the wording on their website has changed somewhat and now reads: "The Westin Verasa Napa has resumed guest operations following the recent earthquake. Please note that we are still undergoing hotel restorations due to the recent 6.0 earthquake that impacted Napa Valley." Has anyone had problems with reservations this month? We're supposed to be doing a family trip in November and while I understand that's still some time off, I'm curious what sort of progress the hotel has made in getting back to normal operations.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Member

I don't think you need to worry about it. Just tried to book a 2 night stay this weekend and they have rooms available for sale.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by NewMexFlyer
unless you are in Bordeaux, there is nothing like Napa Valley wine.
Napa has become as much about whine as wine, and they take themselves far too seriously. Sorry, but I'll take Sonoma over Napa any day. Not only are the wines every bit as good (if not better), but the people are much friendlier and you get treated a whole lot better.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Napa has become as much about whine as wine, and they take themselves far too seriously. Sorry, but I'll take Sonoma over Napa any day. Not only are the wines every bit as good (if not better), but the people are much friendlier and you get treated a whole lot better.
I totally agree. Also fewer traffic jams and it seems to me that Sonoma's tasting fees are lower too.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:20 pm

Looking forward to a stay at the Verasa starting on Wed and extending through the T-day weekend. Stayed at the property in July for a week long work event. It was great. Carpenting was getting a little dingy, but with the earthquake damage, I'm guessing that's all taken care of and will be spanking new.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
We were there about a week and a half ago and they appeared to be wrapping up repairs. Our suite was pretty close to the lobby so we didn't explore a lot of the building, but other than some drywall repairs in the lobby periphery that were still awaiting paint, everything we saw looked good. Great upgrade and super friendly check-in. I enjoy the location and its proximity to Oxbow and Downtown.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
A belated post that our stay over Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. Did seem at the time that there might still be a wing out of service, though, at least on the third floor (going to your left as you come out of the elevator lobby). There was some construction and earth moving going on down around the river (ie that project mentioned in the Wiki was behind schedule) but that didn't cause any issues other than not being able to go out the back and cut across the lawn on the way to Oxbow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.