Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Is the upgrade from plat breakfast to full breakfast still 25 lira?
Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
I was there with my family at the end of June. The front desk advised me that the upgrade charge was 25 lira for the full breakfast. However, on the morning that we advised the staff that we wanted a full breakfast, they did not charge or ask me to sign anything. Breakfast is okay. Nothing spectacular. I would stick with the continental breakfast if I had to pay extra. They also did not charge for breakfast for my 9 year old daughter.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriot Platinum, Finnair Platinum
Hi travelers,

Does anyone have any recent stories of stays at the W Istanbul? I'm planning on spending a couple of nights there in August.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
I was there for two nights in late May of this year. The section that used to be the lobby has been taken over by an unaffiliated restaurant, so you enter into a hallway on the side of the hotel that leads, in one direction, to a check-in desk and -- beyond that to a restaurant/bar/seating area where breakfast is served. If you go straight when you enter, you go the the stairway/elevator to the rooms. As far as I can tell, the hotel is the same as it was when I stayed there previously in Sept 2011 and Apr 2012.

The rooms are fine, although a little dark for my taste, but it's the closest Starwood property (other than the new St. Regis) to the center of the new city. I like the location a lot as there is a good local shopping/eating area a hundred meters or so away, that is frequented by more locals that tourists and it is a very short walk to the Besiktas ferry terminal. If you like to walk, you can get all over the new city within 20-30 minutes and not much more to Sultanamet (a lot of folks would not want to walk that far, but you can take the ferry too).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Plat50, Hyatt Plat, mLife Gold, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz Five Star, Chase UR
Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I was there for two nights in late May of this year. The section that used to be the lobby has been taken over by an unaffiliated restaurant, so you enter into a hallway on the side of the hotel that leads, in one direction, to a check-in desk and -- beyond that to a restaurant/bar/seating area where breakfast is served. If you go straight when you enter, you go the the stairway/elevator to the rooms. As far as I can tell, the hotel is the same as it was when I stayed there previously in Sept 2011 and Apr 2012.

The rooms are fine, although a little dark for my taste, but it's the closest Starwood property (other than the new St. Regis) to the center of the new city. I like the location a lot as there is a good local shopping/eating area a hundred meters or so away, that is frequented by more locals that tourists and it is a very short walk to the Besiktas ferry terminal. If you like to walk, you can get all over the new city within 20-30 minutes and not much more to Sultanamet (a lot of folks would not want to walk that far, but you can take the ferry too).
Where there any upgrades offered to you? I have a 4 night stay coming up in early September, but considering that's at the tail end of the vacation season, I'm not really getting my hopes up. I was considering using some SNAs but I think I'd actually prefer the Marvelous Rooms w/ private cabana over a suite.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kim of Finland
Hi travelers,

Does anyone have any recent stories of stays at the W Istanbul? I'm planning on spending a couple of nights there in August.

Thanks for your help!
I wasn't a huge fan. Loft style suites and a poor location. Very far to walk anywhere and up a hill is the straightest way. Personally I wouldn't do Starwood in Istanbul, I'd choose an alternate chain.

Originally Posted by PhoenixCMC
I definitely disagree with your appreciation of the location. I found myself all over Istanbul and walking was a big pain from this locale. And I didn't find much in the area in the way of restaurants although there is some small local food somewhat nearby (although still not close)

Originally Posted by Picch
Where there any upgrades offered to you? I have a 4 night stay coming up in early September, but considering that's at the tail end of the vacation season, I'm not really getting my hopes up. I was considering using some SNAs but I think I'd actually prefer the Marvelous Rooms w/ private cabana over a suite.
The cabanas are nice - but not terribly private. They all are on the same area so you sort of share it the open space with others. But the Suites are huge loft style suites so just one huge room with a big bathroom without much privacy. I guess if I had to choose again, I'd choose the cabanas... assuming the weather isn't boiling hot. No way you can sit out there in summer.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Starwood properties in Istanbul. Locales are poor and this W is pricey and not in a great area (it's not terrible, there is just much better).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat (3.2MM LT), Hilton Gold, AA LT Plat (3.2MM), Hertz 5*, US Mint MVP
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I wasn't a huge fan. Loft style suites and a poor location. Very far to walk anywhere and up a hill is the straightest way. Personally I wouldn't do Starwood in Istanbul, I'd choose an alternate chain.

I definitely disagree with your appreciation of the location. I found myself all over Istanbul and walking was a big pain from this locale. And I didn't find much in the area in the way of restaurants although there is some small local food somewhat nearby (although still not close)

The cabanas are nice - but not terribly private. They all are on the same area so you sort of share it the open space with others. But the Suites are huge loft style suites so just one huge room with a big bathroom without much privacy. I guess if I had to choose again, I'd choose the cabanas... assuming the weather isn't boiling hot. No way you can sit out there in summer.

Personally, I'd steer clear of Starwood properties in Istanbul. Locales are poor and this W is pricey and not in a great area (it's not terrible, there is just much better).

Thank you very much for the heads up. I should have looked at other hotels. There are many other 5* in better areas for A LOT less, including free breakfasts. I cancelled my W and made reservations in a better Boutique hotel better location, for a lot less.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Just checked out today. Stayed here quite a bit back prior to renovation and it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Yes entrance is now at the side and you're actually entering the (used to be) 2nd floor. But entrance now feels like your entering a club. A long hallway with mirrors on all side. Then you hit reception and it's very, very cramped.

Deniz director of rooms is now gone and all the folks I've grown to like are now gone. It just doesn't feel like homey anymore. ..Considering that the lobby area is literally now a bar.

On a side note, IME 's at least, Plats are treated well here when it comes to suite upgrades. If memory serves me right, I think I didn't get a suite upgrade 2X from over at least a dozen stays since 2013. But at least you still get a daily call from someone at admin. if the day went well...

Oh btw, MGC here you have to mention upon check-in or else you're screwed. Nothing to hang on door but it says call reception prior to 2 am which I did. On my last night, had an argument with housekeeping head because he called wanting to know if I wanted my room cleaned. I said no coz I requested for MGC on my entire stay, he argued with me that it is not in their system and that I won't be getting any MGC points...Had to escalate issue...

Last edited by supatight80; Sep 8, 2015 at 12:22 pm
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Finally met the new W Insider and GM, Koray and Christian. Pretty nice folks, introduced themselves to me while my bf and I were having a drink. Glad that they're connecting with guests again as I was pretty upset when Askin B. And Deniz M. left...
As usual, plats are treated well here, upgraded to fantastic suite as platinum benefit
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:40 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Stayed here this week for 3 nights, don't often stay in W's so was a little unsure what to expect. Was upgraded to a Marvellous room w cabana, little use given the weather!
Bed was comfy, room service prompt, albeit the food a little sketchy - pizza with no tomato anyone? Staff very attentive, breakfast was ok, too much focus on sweet items for my taste and little warm food. Seating in breakfast restaurant a little quirky, and for those over 6', mind your head on the heavy low lighting. Talking of lighting, the corridor lighting was very, well, pink!
Good location, some great little local areas nearby for beer and kebabs!
Basic price was 180 euros a night for a room vs 500+ for Le Meridien which is why I tried it.
Would I go back? Yes
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:18 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Disappointing stay here.....

Well. The concierge/insider did a great job but that and the location is the only positive thing I can report.
Outdoor area of our spa suite was full of bird excrements. Telephone next to bed in room broken. I asked multiple times for it to be fixed but it didn't happen. I ask for a wakeup call. Response: wait I will Write it down. OK I confirm. I go to the bed.15 mins later he calls me and asks for the time again. I have to get up again because phone is broken....
Second day we went in city. I asked again for telephone to be fixed while we are outside. We return at 4 pm nothing is done. Once again I call them and ask for a solution. We agree that they'll fix it after 8 pm as we leave for Nomads. Now he calls me at 7 and says the engineer is leaving in 20 minutes.... Wife is doing beauty thing...... So phone won't be fixed today again..

The doormen are a joke. They don't move. Two guys at the entry one left one right. They don't bother to move u have to squeeze through them... Hardly a welcoming word when u enter the hotel. ( depends on staff on duty)

No power outlets near the bed. Weak WiFi signal at least in our spa suite.

Breakfast is laughable.. Some vegetables weren't in good shape anymore. Aloft Bangkok breakfast is superior...

Update: I honestly answered the question how my stay was and I received an apology and was offered 5000 points without asking for compensation.

( later I heard they have outsourced their food and beverage operations by a manager of crowne Plaza Harbya who claimed to work for the W Istanbul in the past...)

Last edited by cln; Dec 15, 2015 at 4:24 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:52 am

My husband & I are staying here with friends next month. I have not seen any reviews or posts on here from this year. We are Platinum with Starwood. Has anyone stayed here recently? Thank you!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I stayed 23-24 DEC. Plat100. It's a decent property, but probably not my favorite in Istanbul, but maybe for reasons specific to me. I'd stay there again for the right rate, but both StR (for EUR 100/night premium) or Gezi (Design Hotels) for the same price, would be my choice.

I used an SNA and got a "fantastic suite". The doormen were very responsive and took my bag to my room. Check-in was fast/efficient. The "tunnel" is a bit weird, but it's a W. The suite itself was nice (loft style, large shower. Perfect for traveling alone, less so if you want privacy between the bathroom and bedroom area); bed was comfortable. Internet access wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but fine.

The bar was kind of terrifying; "not my scene" is probably the most charitable way to put it.

Most annoying thing was getting called by the spa to tell me about the 20% discount they were offering for platinum members. I probably have an irrational level of dislike for being called on the phone with sales offers, though.

Good platinum treatment (500 points + late checkout).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: N/A
Can anyone advise on recent plat treatment without using a SNA? Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:46 pm

Had a 5 night stay at the W Istanbul last month. Got upgraded to the Studio Suite upon arrival (no SNA used). Rooms are about double the size of a standard room and have a balcony. Location is good in Besitas with lots of local eateries around and less than 10 minutes to Taksim. Plat benefit breakfast did not incur an extra charge for us. The breakfast seems a little "lite" for a W breakfast but you can order some hot dishes from the hosts. For the most part, service is good. For less than 100euros a night, probably the cheapest W I've stayed at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.