Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Any recent stays here? Im Plat75.

Got an awesome BRG rate of 75 euros /night for 3 nights in April. Applied SNAs but no big deal if they dont clear with this rate.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Stayed here for one night last week. It's not terrible by any means and would be a viable option in a city with few other options, but I can't see myself going back given all the choice in Istanbul.

As an Ambassador I was upgraded from a base level room to what was called a "Fantastic Suite". The room was utterly bizarre and was almost attached to the (legendarily sleazy) bar. After the door you have an inside staircase which takes you up to.. a moderately sized room. There's a bit of a sofa thing inlaid into a window, but there's no way it could even be called a Junior Suite. The aircon was overly aggressive (I registered 16 degrees at one point) and the room had an unfortunate pong of cheap hooker perfume.

Service was quite good at an individual level (as is almost universal in Istanbul hotels), but didn't always come together. I also didn't like being asked to score the hotel a 10 on a survey (not that I ever receive surveys from Marriott).

All in all, it's pretty good value and a passable hotel by W standards, but 50EUR or so extra in Istanbul can get you something a lot nicer.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 7:37 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
I share the same sentiments as the previous poster (same suite type) and I think I was in a room next door (204). I noted 202 which is right by the bar and I honestly couldn't believe they have a room literally on the steps leading up to it. Everyone was very nice and helpful but there isn't anything other than the area that would have me running back to this W (though the pricing atm is about 100 euro so not bad) but like the other poster mentioned about 50 euro more and you are in the Ritz.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by reggiekush; Oct 11, 2020 at 11:32 am Reason: After confirmation they are restricting cabana use to a select few as I saw a girl way down the way about 8 rooms down.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:17 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Reporting from the W right now. This is my 3rd and last night here.

Upgraded from a base room to a Studio Suite number 310. It's a long and large room. It has a small balcony but you need to ask them to unlock it if you want to use it.

I'll post pictures when I'm back home.

The staff is great and helpful. The spa is closed but you can still book services. They will call someone in and provide the therapies. The gym is open but closes at 11pm due to covid measures at the moment.

It's quite a weird W I would say. It feels small and compact. Having to walk through that tunnel and then right in between the two front desks is also strange.

I've been "forced" to have dinner at the bar/lounge since Friday because of the new curfew in place. All restaurants cafs and bars are closed or only do take-away. These new measures were announced just a couple of days ago (Thursday evening).

I like this location though. In normal times you'd have plenty of places to pick for food cafs and drinks.
I stayed at the Sheraton City Centre last week and that location was bad. Despite the on-call shuttle service from the hotel to Taksim square.

For less than $100 a night, I would stay here again i think.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:51 am

@enelym1978 Thanks for the review. Stayed at this place couple times, interesting property indeed. Do you have sample dates for <$100 rate?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:57 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by mileageking
@enelym1978 Thanks for the review. Stayed at this place couple times, interesting property indeed. Do you have sample dates for <$100 rate?
I made the wrong conversion sorry. Whe I booked it was 87 EUR which was around 94 CHF and I assumed the CHF/USD rate was still close to 1 to 1.... 😅
mileageking likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978
I made the wrong conversion sorry. Whe I booked it was 87 EUR which was around 94 CHF and I assumed the CHF/USD rate was still close to 1 to 1.... 😅
Thanks. Lowest I can see is 112 EUR
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Reporting from the W right now. This is my 3rd and last night here.
It's quite a weird W I would say. It feels small and compact. Having to walk through that tunnel and then right in between the two front desks is also strange.
I saw a few guests having to duck slightly due to the low height in the elevator
Old Jul 10, 2021, 9:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
W Istanbul = Good Fit for W Style, But Aging and Dark Room

W Istanbul - Special Class

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Suleyman Seba Cad No. 22 - Akaretler Istanbul, TR 34357

W Istanbul = Good Fit for W Style, But Aging and Dark Room (10 Photos)

I was aware that W Istanbul had mixed reviews so I was previously in no rush to try it but I finally gave it a chance this month for a short stay.  My quick takeaway is that the hardware is lagging compared to other options in Istanbul while service and F&B were both above average.  The price is generally in the range of Marriott and Sheraton, and significantly below JW Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and St.Regis.  Consequently, perhaps W underperforms relative to the brand in general (some Ws are in the luxury category) but in Istanbul for the price I thought it was adequate.  

W is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Istanbul and a perfect fit for the W brand because Besiktas has a lot of pubs and restaurants.

Room

I booked the entry level room and was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite.  The room was not really a suite but merely a large room without a separation between the bedroom and living room.  Also, at 55 sqm it was not that big; suites at many other hotels are more spacious.  I noticed that the room type below (Studio Suite) is also 55 sqm and was told the only difference with the Fantastic suite is that the studio does not have a day bed and instead has an empty space.  The room type above is also 55 sqm (Spectacular Suite) and they only have one such room in the entire hotel.  As I understand, the Spectacular Suite has an outdoor sitting area and a whirlpool.  

Design-wise the suite was nice and worthy of W standards, I especially liked the brick wall in the living room and the large mirrors; it made for a nice break from standard corporate hotels.  The main problem was that the room was too dark, in part because windows were all within a bay rather than directly on the wall which did not help, and color scheme in the room made it worse.  There was a red tinted glass in the shower which did not allow much light in the shower anyway so the purpose was more about style.

IMG_6950.jpegIMG_6951.jpegIMG_6953.jpegIMG_6954.jpegIMG_6955.jpegIMG_6956.jpegIMG_6958.jpeg

The bed was very comfortable, in fact the bedding seemed a bit similar to St.Regis nearby.  The air conditioning also worked well to ensure a good night of sleep, at least until 5:30am when all the lights turned on by themselves automatically twice when power went out and reconnected.  

The building is low rise (2-3 floors) and rooms do not have a view of much other than the street in front.  Because of the fact that my room was close to ground level, it felt necessary to pull the shears for privacy as I was in sight of the pedestrians on the sidewalk.

IMG_6952.jpeg

Dining

The breakfast was superior to the traditional Turkish breakfast found in most 5-star hotels in the city.  The a la carte menu was quite extensive and had many interesting dishes prepared fresh out of the kitchen.  

IMG_6959.jpg

IMG_6960.jpeg

Service

Whenver the GM goes out of his way to greet me at reception upon arrival, often times I know that’s a hotel which will provide superior service because it sets the tone for the staff.  It was the case at W; while I was not overly impressed by the room, service was clearly a notch above other hotels in this price range.  

Wifi

Wifi worked ok but speed could have been better at 7 Mbps.

Overall

Overall W was ok considering the price I paid below 100 EUR per night at a time during the summer when JWM was 2x the price, RC was 3x the price, and StR 4x the price.  For people who value hardware the most, there would be other more impressive hotels in the city with modern rooms.  W performs best for people who are looking for a different kind of hotel experience as the W brand is supposed to be, mostly with service and F&B, and in a great neighborhood for a hotel of its kind.  

W Istanbul = Good Fit for W Style, But Aging and Dark Room

Would you like to write a review on the W Istanbul - Special Class?

No, thank you.
Yes
jaejaez likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
So glad to be back...

After staying here at least 15-20X during the last 10 years, I'm so glad to be back in this property for the very 1st time since the pandemic.

Really so call to see old faces since circa 2013. Having said that, never liked the "newish" remodeling of the very narrow hallway to front desk. Preferred it being on the ground floor back then.

Breakfast is buffet style which is good. But their breakfast area/lounge/lobby can be quite busy in the mornings...

Was upgraded to their WOW duplex suite which was quite huge. The suite has 2 toilets and a full kitchen. Was also given 4pm check out even though the hotel was full due to the car racing going on in Istanbul.

Anyways, glad to be back here simply because of too much personal history in this charming hotel.

jaejaez likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I recently completed a 5 night stay at the W Istanbul and I would not recommend it. This hotel is badly in need of a refurbishment.

First the pros: The bed was very comfortable and the front desk, restaurant and concierge staff were extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful. This is by far the hotels greatest strength.

The hotel goes downhill after that. As a Titanium member, I received a 2 category upgrade (more about my Titanium treatment below). The hotel was very full, so I am not complaining about not receiving a better upgrade. However, if this was a higher category room, Id hate to see the one I actually booked. Upon entering the room, I discovered that one of the bedside lamps flickered like a strobe light and the light on the small magnified mirror in the bathroom didnt work either. We later learned that one of the sinks in the bathroom only dispensed hot water - the cold in the mix wasnt working. In addition, water dripped out of the faucet handle throughout our stay, causing a large puddle to form on the countertop every time the sink was used.

The worst, however, was yet to come. We had to leave the hotel for a dinner party shortly after arriving, so we asked the hotel to fix all the problems while we were out. To their credit, upon arriving back after dinner we found that they did (other than the leaky faucet handle). It was late and we had an early morning the following day, so at shortly after midnight we got into bed and discovered that the lights in the room wouldnt turn off. I tried the myriad of switches in the room to no avail. Finally I called down and a mechanic worked on a ladder up in the ceiling until 1:15am, when he was finally able to get the lights to respond to the switches.

Apart from all the mechanical issues, the room was very worn and the lighting poor - so dark that my wife had difficulty putting on her makeup. Others staying at the hotel who we spoke with also complained that it was too dark and their room was badly in need of renovations.

I had one other major issue with my stay. I was staying on a group rate as this was the hotel chosen as the base for guests attending a wedding in Istanbul. Now I am well aware that group rates usually dont qualify for Bonvoy benefits such as points and stay credits. As such, I emailed the hotel before booking to ask if I would receive all Bonvoy benefits (including points/stay credit) if I booked that rate - otherwise I would book a conventional rate on the website, which wasnt that much more expensive at the time. The hotel responded in writing that I would receive all benefits including points. A little over a week before my stay, the hotel again confirmed in an email that I would receive my Bonvoy benefits. I have both emails. Upon arriving at the hotel, I was informed that the sales department was mistaken and I wouldnt get the points/stay credit, but that they would give me the room upgrade. I later received an email from the sales dept apologizing for the misunderstanding. I asked them to have the manager contact me. On the day of checkout I asked Whatever/Whenever to have to manager contact me and I was assured he would. That was 13 days ago and Ive heard nothing from him.

On the second day of my stay I received an email from the hotel saying they were giving me 10,000 points for the inconvenience. I thought that was compensation for having the maintenance guy in my room in the middle of the night and all the other room issues, but I was later informed that that was for the misunderstanding about my room rate qualifying for benefits. I would have received at least 14,000 points if the stay had qualified as well as the night and stay credits, so this isnt full compensation.

There are so many excellent hotels in Istanbul at very reasonable rates, including a number of Bonvoy properties, there is absolutely no reason to stay at the W.
Eagle_traveler and vivrant like this.
Old Feb 23, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Me: Walking up the big hill - looking a tad disheveled
Doorman: "Welcome, where did the taxi let you off? Did they get lost?"
Doorman and I walk towards the front desk
Me: "Oh, no, I walked from my last hotel - about 40 minutes"
Doorman: "Which hotel?"
Front desk agent peeks her head around the hallway
Front desk agent: "JW Bosphorous! Welcome, Mr. [my first name]!"

All of this occurred before I ever gave a name or passport - feeling famous.

What a WoW Welcome ;-)
Old Feb 24, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
WOW, what a wonderful time at the W Istanbul! I loved this property, and I'm seriously considering changing an upcoming reservation next week so that I can go back on this trip (how unlike me!). The service and the bed were so perfect, and the row house aesthetics were impeccable. I'm not sure I can explain in words how much I love this hotel. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • ABSOLUTELY PERFECT BED - I'm not sure I've had a better bed - the mattress was so soft and fluffy (like a cloud), the pillows were plush and kept their shape at the perfect amount, the covers were thick and cloud-like - I miss this bed so much already
  • Upgraded the morning of arrival to a Studio Suite - I don't think this was the highest category available, but I appreciate the room a lot - four windows, so lots of natural light, and the 4th floor location on the shorter (yet higher) side of the building meant that I had a nice view over the roof of the other section of the V-shaped hotel (nice view of the hills and Conrad)
  • The room was long and spacious with a great desk, comfortable couch, wonderful dark styling with lots of wood and brick, large bathroom with dual vanity, and lots of easy-to-control lights
  • Shower pressure from the rainfall head was strong and great
  • Lots of towels, including large bath sheets
  • No issue with 2 PM late checkout - I asked for 2, and they said 4 was guaranteed
  • Brought a lovely welcome gift of bitter almond cookie (not my taste, but nice gesture) and a pretty Nazar (evil eye) amulet in Marriott Bonvoy-branded bag
  • Wi-Fi worked well, especially for an old building
  • Loved the pink lights and touch-sensitive features in the elevator (future + past)
  • EUR-TRY exchange rate used was fair
  • Service was exquisite
    • Isik who reached out to me on my arrival email and all of the other associates were extremely friendly
    • Lots of chatting about my travel plans and experiences, including in other cities
    • I gushed about the bed
    • So much "Mr. [my first name]"
    • The perfect combination of professional efficiency, friendliness, personalization, and casual conversation
  • Elite welcome gift breakfast in W Lounge was good
    • Turkish breakfast board + some a la carte choices (was told eggs, pancakes, etc. are complimentary, but breakfast bowl is not)
    • Eggs royale was solid - though a bit more like avocado toast
    • I enjoyed the cheeses
    • Lattes were good
Cons:
  • Turning on the sinks when I arrived led to a bit of brown water on the first turn-on (not later during my stay, and the same happened today at the Ritz)
  • TVs don't have Internet capabilities
I can't wait for my next visit to this exquisite property.

Photos:

dgreen12 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
WOW, what a wonderful time at the W Istanbul! I loved this property, and I'm seriously considering changing an upcoming reservation next week so that I can go back on this trip (how unlike me!). The service and the bed were so perfect, and the row house aesthetics were impeccable. I'm not sure I can explain in words how much I love this hotel. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • ABSOLUTELY PERFECT BED - I'm not sure I've had a better bed - the mattress was so soft and fluffy (like a cloud), the pillows were plush and kept their shape at the perfect amount, the covers were thick and cloud-like - I miss this bed so much already
  • Upgraded the morning of arrival to a Studio Suite - I don't think this was the highest category available, but I appreciate the room a lot - four windows, so lots of natural light, and the 4th floor location on the shorter (yet higher) side of the building meant that I had a nice view over the roof of the other section of the V-shaped hotel (nice view of the hills and Conrad)
  • The room was long and spacious with a great desk, comfortable couch, wonderful dark styling with lots of wood and brick, large bathroom with dual vanity, and lots of easy-to-control lights
  • Shower pressure from the rainfall head was strong and great
  • Lots of towels, including large bath sheets
  • No issue with 2 PM late checkout - I asked for 2, and they said 4 was guaranteed
  • Brought a lovely welcome gift of bitter almond cookie (not my taste, but nice gesture) and a pretty Nazar (evil eye) amulet in Marriott Bonvoy-branded bag
  • Wi-Fi worked well, especially for an old building
  • Loved the pink lights and touch-sensitive features in the elevator (future + past)
  • EUR-TRY exchange rate used was fair
  • Service was exquisite
    • Isik who reached out to me on my arrival email and all of the other associates were extremely friendly
    • Lots of chatting about my travel plans and experiences, including in other cities
    • I gushed about the bed
    • So much "Mr. [my first name]"
    • The perfect combination of professional efficiency, friendliness, personalization, and casual conversation
  • Elite welcome gift breakfast in W Lounge was good
    • Turkish breakfast board + some a la carte choices (was told eggs, pancakes, etc. are complimentary, but breakfast bowl is not)
    • Eggs royale was solid - though a bit more like avocado toast
    • I enjoyed the cheeses
    • Lattes were good
Cons:
  • Turning on the sinks when I arrived led to a bit of brown water on the first turn-on (not later during my stay, and the same happened today at the Ritz)
  • TVs don't have Internet capabilities
I can't wait for my next visit to this exquisite property.

Certainly one of the more subdued W hotel rooms I've ever seen.
Old Feb 24, 2023, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Certainly one of the more subdued W hotel rooms I've ever seen.
It was a very interesting vibe - almost like a cabin or an old castle. I honestly really enjoyed it - it reminded me a bit of the Chairman Suite I was upgraded to on my last stay at the Westin Harbour Castle - lots of wood!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.