Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Marriott Jan 31 2024] W Istanbul, Turkey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Just another datapoint - I used backpackerstravel.net. I think I found it from the Frommer's forums.

Everything was done via email and same deal - there's a guy holding a card with your name. Also, I had a good experience. My SIN-IST flight was early by about 1.5 hours (arrival time of about 05:30). I was worried there would be nobody there but the driver was right there waiting!

For the return, the driver arrived at the W at exactly the pre-arranged time.

IST to W was 25 EUR and return was 20 EUR. Neither driver spoke much (if any) English but I had no problems.

As for taxis, getting a taxi in front of the hotel and having him follow the meter was never an issue. The problem is when you get one off the street - even for the "good taxis". Know appx how much your trip should cost and negotiate it UP FRONT. The good guys will just say "I'll turn on the meter".
Thanks, still expensive. Is 55EUR from Sabiha Gocken.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 4:21 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Just googled and it seems that it's about 55 euro for a one-way.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by remymartin
Just googled and it seems that it's about 55 euro for a one-way.
It seems these guys are significantly cheaper - but I can't read the website!
http://www.alantransferi.com/
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
http://translate.google.com/translat...ansferi.com%2F
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:10 am

Thanks, not the best translation, but worked enough to tell me this is for Ankara not Istanbul!

I did find these guys - and submitted a reservation request, but never heard back http://www.flypgs.com/en/airport-transport/default.aspx
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:26 am

Does anyone know if they are still solely offering choice of continental breakfast or 500 point amenity? Or do they offer full buffet breakfast to Platinums?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Does anyone know if they are still solely offering choice of continental breakfast or 500 point amenity? Or do they offer full buffet breakfast to Platinums?
The choice is continental or the points. I was offered the full buffet only with a 25 lira buy up option.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by somedude3210
The choice is continental or the points. I was offered the full buffet only with a 25 lira buy up option.
Thanks. How was the buffet? Was it worth $12.50USD to buy up to it?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 3:56 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Incredible Service

I usually don't have the time or bother to write a report after every stay but the exceptional service at the W Instanbul compels me to do so. I was (sadly) just there for one night but it seemed everyone on staff--including those I hadn't met--knew my name. I was a little anxious about the taxi and safety situation in Instanbul but the concierge and the front door guys took great care of me, making sure I was in a proper taxi and the driver knew where I needed to go. The concierge even printed out a map at one point and got the driver to agree to leave his taxi and walk me to my location, as it had to be reached by foot. Check-in was fast and friendly and I was upgraded as a Plat to a fantastic suite. As others have reported here, it's essentially one very long and narrow room with the tv at the far end from the bed. The shower was great, as were the big Turkish towels. The highlight, however, was Askin, the Insider. I think he sleeps at the hotel--he was always around. And so charming--was a tremendous "front of the house" personality! I'm sure he aspires to be GM but that'd be a shame to have him hidden away in an office behind a desk. He was always around, offering help, asking how they could do better, inquiring about my day, etc. I certainly would not even consider another hotel in Istanbul at this point.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: LH Sen, UA 1K, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platin Ambassador
Stayed at the W Istanbul last weekend for two nights.
As a Platinum I have been upgraded from a wonderful room with two bed to a Spa Suite with king bed. As we are not a couple, we asked for a second feather bed. And in a second we got it.
The bathroom is open to the room, shower and toilet are separate, but everything else is visible all through the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff.
Perfect situated to visit the Domalbahce Palace and the nice neighborhood with small restaurants and cafés.
We got the full buffet breakfast for two people for the two nights for the 500 points Platinum amenity.
The full buffet breakfast was good, but not excellent. The fruits had no taste, the cereals were old. Good bread, very good freshly squeezed orange juice, big choice of cheese.
The breakfast room was very empty the two days, except of us only 4-8 people were having breakfast.

All-in-all a very nice stay in a very nice property with very kind staff.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ClaudiSTR
Stayed at the W Istanbul last weekend for two nights.
As a Platinum I have been upgraded from a wonderful room with two bed to a Spa Suite with king bed. As we are not a couple, we asked for a second feather bed. And in a second we got it.
The bathroom is open to the room, shower and toilet are separate, but everything else is visible all through the room.

Very friendly and helpful staff.
Perfect situated to visit the Domalbahce Palace and the nice neighborhood with small restaurants and cafés.
We got the full buffet breakfast for two people for the two nights for the 500 points Platinum amenity.
The full buffet breakfast was good, but not excellent. The fruits had no taste, the cereals were old. Good bread, very good freshly squeezed orange juice, big choice of cheese.
The breakfast room was very empty the two days, except of us only 4-8 people were having breakfast.

All-in-all a very nice stay in a very nice property with very kind staff.
Agreed. I found the breakfast pretty poor. Especially since you had to redeem your 500 points for it. Rooms were nice - but I don't like the open bathroom concept. Service was top notch. Location is pretty good - although the walk to the train gets old after a few days.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I'll be staying at this property for 5 nights in July with my girlfriend, from the 12th to the 17th. Any recent stays? Chances for an upgrade (we are booked into a Wonderful)? Seems as though breakfast is not worth it...
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:09 am

I am here now. Renovations of the public areas started July 1 and will continue through September. Bar is closed. Breakfast is served in the Studios across the street.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CLEguy
I am here now. Renovations of the public areas started July 1 and will continue through September. Bar is closed. Breakfast is served in the Studios across the street.
So how did you do on the upgrade?

And what's been your experience on the platinum breakfast?

Does the remodeling really take away from the experience?

Considering W for a stay next month, but also Grand Hyatt and Conrad (both properties w/club lounge).

Thanks for any insight you can share.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by newcastle
So how did you do on the upgrade?

And what's been your experience on the platinum breakfast?

Does the remodeling really take away from the experience?

Considering W for a stay next month, but also Grand Hyatt and Conrad (both properties w/club lounge).

Thanks for any insight you can share.
No prior experience at this property so others will have to weigh in. Upgrade was to a Mega room, second floor (of five). Hotel was very quiet overall, lacked the W "vibe" if that's your thing.

As reported upthread, the platinum breakfast was nothing to write home about. There are some very good options around the corner from the hotel, in any event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.