Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
We have an upcoming 7-nite stay a LM Picadilly. Paid with cash and not StarPoints as this is business-related (so my company is paying). Got a great rate (for a SW hotel London) at 211 GBP per night (including taxes, etc). I am SPG Gold.

I do not care about ability to get into the Club Lounge - what I am more interested in is getting a quiet and comfortable room. We have a basic room (Deluxe King) reserved, and may (or may not) get an upgrade - I have had good luck with upgrades as Gold in the EU, but have no expectations.

My question is to those with multiple stays there… to get the best chance of a quiet/comfortable room - what floor or room location should I shoot for?

TIA
Been there 4 times and upgraded twice to the refurbished club rooms on the 2nd (3rd?) floor. Be aware that some of the SPG club rooms on this floor overlook Picadilly street below. If you are a light sleeper, it can be noisy especially on fridays & saturdays. Better to ask a room overlooking Air Street. You'll get less daylight, but also less noise.
Also, before accepting the upgrade I would check with reception that there aren't any event on the same night (weddings, huge parties), because the rooms are on the same floor as the meeting rooms.

Next time I go there, I'll try to get a higher floor
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
We have an upcoming 7-nite stay a LM Picadilly. Paid with cash and not StarPoints as this is business-related (so my company is paying). Got a great rate (for a SW hotel London) at 211 GBP per night (including taxes, etc). I am SPG Gold.

I do not care about ability to get into the Club Lounge - what I am more interested in is getting a quiet and comfortable room. We have a basic room (Deluxe King) reserved, and may (or may not) get an upgrade - I have had good luck with upgrades as Gold in the EU, but have no expectations.

My question is to those with multiple stays there… to get the best chance of a quiet/comfortable room - what floor or room location should I shoot for?

TIA
I've stayed close to 90 nights at the LMP over the last few years, so I'm fairly familiar with the layout of the hotel.

First off, a Deluxe room is not the "basic room", but one step up. Usually a slightly bigger room than the "Classic" room, with sometimes better views.

Right off the bat, if you're looking for a quiet room as your top criterion, avoid rooms that face Regent Street. These are by far the noisiest (although they can otherwise be nice rooms). The rooms that face Piccadilly can be a little noisy at times, but not as bad as Regent.

My preferred location is facing Piccadilly, on a high floor, mainly for the view (you can see the London Eye, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Nelson's Column, and even the Shard from certain rooms if you're high up enough). The thing to note about the Piccadilly side is that it's shaped sort of like a square, flat U. The ends of the U are directly over Piccadilly, so you might get a little bit of noise, especially on the lower floors. However, the higher up rooms at the ends have some of the best views. The "bottom" of the U, however, is set back a bit from the street, and overlooks the Terrace restaurant. So while you might get a little noise, it's not quite quite as bad as the ends.

Part of the hotel faces a street called Swallow St., which is more of a side street. So these rooms are fairly quiet.

However, if you're looking for the absolutely quietest rooms, you probably want one of the "interior" rooms. Essentially, there are a handful of rooms that don't face Piccadilly, Regent, or Swallow, and instead face the other part of the building (the Regent wing if you're in the Piccadilly wing, or vise versa). Some of these also overlook a small enclosed "courtyard" (although it's not really anything of the sort). Because you're not facing a street, these rooms are definitely the quietest. Some of those rooms are also bigger than average rooms. However, the downside is that these rooms really have no view whatsoever (unless you count looking at the windows of the other side of the building).

One last thing I'll note... try to get a room away from the elevators (I believe these are typically x01, x02, x03...). The elevators have a vocal cue whenever they do anything (for blind people?). Stay too close to the elevators, and long after you've left you'll still have "seventh floor ... doors opening ... doors closing..." constantly running through you're head!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hello everyone -

I'm contemplating staying at LM Piccadilly on my next trip to London but I have what may be a novice question: how are the refurbishments at this hotel going, if any?

From what I could discern from the website, the lobby's been redone in contemporary LM cues but the rooms look exactly like the old ones but have the walls repainted and the old beds swapped out for the new ones; all the old wooden cabinets and details are still there, along with the same old bathrooms. Are these the refurbished rooms or are there other ones that have been more imaginatively redone?

Thank you for the help!

khabah
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
Originally Posted by eeebee
I've stayed close to 90 nights at the LMP over the last few years, so I'm fairly familiar with the layout of the hotel.
Exactly what I was looking for - thanks. I will be staying away from the elevators - that drives me crazy. I guess I have a Classic room - because I have the lowest price level.

I have learned to checkout room before taking luggage up. I care more about quiet than view or size. But, I also bring a white noise generator - just in case.

How many floors are there at LM?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by khabah
Hello everyone -

I'm contemplating staying at LM Piccadilly on my next trip to London but I have what may be a novice question: how are the refurbishments at this hotel going, if any?

From what I could discern from the website, the lobby's been redone in contemporary LM cues but the rooms look exactly like the old ones but have the walls repainted and the old beds swapped out for the new ones; all the old wooden cabinets and details are still there, along with the same old bathrooms. Are these the refurbished rooms or are there other ones that have been more imaginatively redone?

Thank you for the help!

khabah
My understanding is that only the rooms on levels 1 and/or 2 were renovated. All other rooms on other floors are as you describe above. And as far as I know, there is no plan to further renovate them.

IMO, those rooms are not in as dire need of renovation as, for example, the rooms at the Park Lane. That said, I wish they would at least switch out the desks with something more modern, as I'm always banging my knees on the decorative parts of the legs. Also, most rooms could use a little more storage.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:08 pm

How many floors are there at LM?
The top floor is the 9th floor. In other words, it has 10 floors. Also a mezzanine and one level below ground. But the guest rooms are only floors 1 and up.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Just booked a night at LM Piccadilly. Mid week, traveling by myself. I don't need a suite, although it's always fun. Are the suites nice? What's the difference between junior and executive? I've got plenty of SNAs.

I'd like a late checkout, around 3pm or so. I've noticed some properties don't like to give late checkouts on suites. Would I be better off not requesting a suite upgrade for this property?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Just booked a night at LM Piccadilly. Mid week, traveling by myself. I don't need a suite, although it's always fun. Are the suites nice? What's the difference between junior and executive? I've got plenty of SNAs.

I'd like a late checkout, around 3pm or so. I've noticed some properties don't like to give late checkouts on suites. Would I be better off not requesting a suite upgrade for this property?

Thanks in advance.
Junior Suite is essentially a single, oversized room that includes a sofa bed.

The Executive Suite is a true suite, with separate living room and bedroom. IME, they also have two bathrooms.

I've never had a problem getting a late checkout here, regardless of room type. Seems like they're very generous in offering late checkout here. Which probably also explains why my room is never ready when I arrive at 3:00 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Airport transport options with street closures

My friend and I checked in at this property yesterday for the weekend and leave tomorrow. When we checked in, we learned that tomorrow there is a 10K road race that will close off surrounding streets from traffic. Unfortunately, since we were on a long cruise prior to arriving at the hotel, we both have a couple of large suitcases each. I fly out of LHR tomorrow early evening; she is flying out of LGW tomorrow afternoon and has prebooked Gatwick Express from Victoria Station.

Because of the heavy and bulky luggage, neither of us are confident in our abilities to maneuver our bags down the stairs and escalators at Piccadilly Station. She had planned to take a taxi to Victoria Station, but with the road closures we have no idea where the nearest place would be to catch a taxi.

I do see that Green Park station is fully accessible street to track via lift, but it's a bit of a trek with the suitcases. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I may not be explaining myself well to the guest services people here, as I'm having difficulty getting suggestions from the desk. As it was, I only received the letter of notification about the street closures when I tried proactively asking at check-in after seeing numerous street closure signs posted outside.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by ImprovGal
My friend and I checked in at this property yesterday for the weekend and leave tomorrow. When we checked in, we learned that tomorrow there is a 10K road race that will close off surrounding streets from traffic. Unfortunately, since we were on a long cruise prior to arriving at the hotel, we both have a couple of large suitcases each. I fly out of LHR tomorrow early evening; she is flying out of LGW tomorrow afternoon and has prebooked Gatwick Express from Victoria Station.

Because of the heavy and bulky luggage, neither of us are confident in our abilities to maneuver our bags down the stairs and escalators at Piccadilly Station. She had planned to take a taxi to Victoria Station, but with the road closures we have no idea where the nearest place would be to catch a taxi.

I do see that Green Park station is fully accessible street to track via lift, but it's a bit of a trek with the suitcases. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I may not be explaining myself well to the guest services people here, as I'm having difficulty getting suggestions from the desk. As it was, I only received the letter of notification about the street closures when I tried proactively asking at check-in after seeing numerous street closure signs posted outside.
Have you asked the concierge the nearest place you maybe able to get a prebooked taxi to pick you up from and if there are any routes it could take to get you where you need to be? They generally will know what options will be open to you.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum. Aspiring flyer with both feet on the ground.

According to the - misspelt! - road closures site of the race (http://www.thebritish10klondon.co.uk/39/road-closured) it seems that Regent Street which is the next major road up from the hotel won't close at all, and that might be your best bet. But regardless, it looks like Piccadilly will reopen at approximately 11.30am which is well early for your 'early evening' flight.

My suggestion would be to see when the roads are scheduled to reopen on the day, and if they do so early enough, you'll be able to stick to your original plan. Green Park is fully accessible yes, but I'm trying to remember if Victoria is too. I'd stick to a cab if you can wait till 1.30-2ish, when according to the schedule all the roads will be back in full use. Lugging heavy luggage is never fun, and if you already have reservations about it, you may as well stay clear of it!
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA-P, B6, DL, SW, SPG_M-P, AGR-S+
Originally Posted by George Kyriakos
According to the - misspelt! - road closures site of the race (http://www.thebritish10klondon.co.uk/39/road-closured) it seems that Regent Street which is the next major road up from the hotel won't close at all, and that might be your best bet. But regardless, it looks like Piccadilly will reopen at approximately 11.30am which is well early for your 'early evening' flight.

My suggestion would be to see when the roads are scheduled to reopen on the day, and if they do so early enough, you'll be able to stick to your original plan. Green Park is fully accessible yes, but I'm trying to remember if Victoria is too. I'd stick to a cab if you can wait till 1.30-2ish, when according to the schedule all the roads will be back in full use. Lugging heavy luggage is never fun, and if you already have reservations about it, you may as well stay clear of it!
Thanks for the input, George and toddml.
Regent won't be closed for the road race because it will already be closed to traffic for summer shopping Sundays.

I'm prepared to walk to Green Park to use the lift and take Piccadilly line to LHR.

My friend's flight is the problem one, as her flight is 1something-pm and her Gatwick Express train is 10:05 am. As it turns out, Victoria is not fully accessible, so she really needs to get to Victoria station on street level.

We've inquired with one front desk and two concierge desk people and nobody can tell her where the closest place will be to get a cab. The best answer we could get is cabs may be available at Green Park, but possibly somewhere around Mayfair but no idea of specifics.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
We've inquired with one front desk and two concierge desk people and nobody can tell her where the closest place will be to get a cab. The best answer we could get is cabs may be available at Green Park, but possibly somewhere around Mayfair but no idea of specifics.
The concierge desk as well as the front desk staff here are completely useless. I've never seen such unhelpful people. They are all super friendly and nice - they just don't know anything. I tore a pair of trousers and needed to find a tailor. Neither the concierge or front desk were able to assist. They told me to walk around outside and look for one

btw - re your taxi - next time this happens, use Uber. Then you can call your driver who accepts and ask him where he's picking you up.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jul 12, 2015 at 3:55 am
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Hoping for some quick advice, as I'm not finding too much in the way of direct comparisons...

My wife and I will be stopping in London for a couple of nights in August and are trying to figure out where to stay. She has SPG Plat so we were leaning toward the W (where we have stayed and were happy enough with - especially location), but was hoping for any feedback on how the Meridien compares. Thoughts? It would save a few thousand points if we redeemed and is also a bit cheaper than the W if we pay cash (haven't decided yet).

Other things to note:
- The Park Tower is out. Stayed there once before and didn't particularly care for the location.
- I read the Park Lane is undergoing disruptive renovations so I will assume that is out unless someone tells me they are done.
- Primary non-SPG option would be the Andaz if anyone wants to weigh in on that vs W or Le Meridien.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Hoping for some quick advice, as I'm not finding too much in the way of direct comparisons...

My wife and I will be stopping in London for a couple of nights in August and are trying to figure out where to stay. She has SPG Plat so we were leaning toward the W (where we have stayed and were happy enough with - especially location), but was hoping for any feedback on how the Meridien compares. Thoughts? It would save a few thousand points if we redeemed and is also a bit cheaper than the W if we pay cash (haven't decided yet).

Other things to note:
- The Park Tower is out. Stayed there once before and didn't particularly care for the location.
- I read the Park Lane is undergoing disruptive renovations so I will assume that is out unless someone tells me they are done.
- Primary non-SPG option would be the Andaz if anyone wants to weigh in on that vs W or Le Meridien.

Thanks for the help.
I like the Meridien. It's where I stay when I need a few nights in London. It's a nicer hotel than the Park Lane.

They seem to follow SPG benefits to the book. I used SNAs to upgrade to a suite, but was told I may not be able to check in before 4pm, since there was another platinum member in there. The club has a nice continental breakfast.

Location is convenient for getting around. Either take the tube, or the buses that drive past. It's about a 5 min walk to the W, so about the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.