Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:44 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by LA2CDG
I am currently here at the LPM, the "club" people are referring to is on the mezzanine level overlooking the lobby. They serve breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés. It's always accessible for soft drinks, water and coffee, is there another lounge besides this?
That is indeed the only Club lounge.

With regards to the Club access on an upgrade, it sounds like you should have access as they list Club access as a benefit that is attached to the room. Having had similar issues with some added services at a different hotel in the past, William had kindly looked in to it and clarified that if the room description specified the service, then you got it with the upgrade. (I am paraphrasing, so the language may need correcting)

If the hotel doesn't wish to offer Club access, then they would be better off not offering the upgrade. Those rooms are pretty much just the normal Deluxe Rooms anyway, but with Club access.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LonLH
I am a regular at this property (250-300 nights between me and my wife easily)- we were never denied club benefits as plats EVER irrespective of the room type.
& that's the way it should be....many times its not the property but a particular agent who is unaware of the rules....

i'm a regular at a property in mumbai (15-20 nights a year for the last 5-6 years) & i always get club benefits irrespective of the room type i end up staying in....but earlier this year the agent checking me in told me i would not get club access since i was upgraded to a club level room & i hadn't actually paid for it....i told him that was not correct & he should check with his supervisor....he did, apologized for his mistake & immediately re-programmed my key card to access the club....

the lurkers have said a number of times here on ft that a guest is entitled to the benefits that come with the room they are upgraded to....if a property or agent is not following that then i think it should be pointed out....
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
many times its not the property but a particular agent who is unaware of the rules....
Completely agree.

the lurkers have said a number of times here on ft that a guest is entitled to the benefits that come with the room they are upgraded to....if a property or agent is not following that then i think it should be pointed out....
Completely agree again. The fact that we are discussing this is down to a lack of consistency or staff knowledge. Flagging it up is the best way to correct it, both for your fellow SPG travellers, but also for the property as well.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:50 am

WOW!
I was certainly not expecting to ignite such a lively discussion. Thanks for all of the input everyone. Here is where things stand right now -

I tried to access the club this morning, and while the elevator did not appear to work with my key the door opened as someone was leaving at about the same time. I entered anyway as I was not sure if the key worked or not. When I got back from a day of touring I tried again and confirmed that the key did not work for the lounge. I went down to the lobby and inquired at the Gold / Plat desk as to the lounge benefit. The rep (a different person than the one who checked me in yesterday) explained that I only get access if I am Platinum (I am Gold) or if I actually booked into and paid for a room with club access (which I did not). I had initially thought that the person who checked me in may have just been mistaken, but it now appears that this is the policy of the hotel - when an individual is upgraded to Club level to give the room without the added benefits.

i would suggest you get the lurkers involved....they will be able to pass on the information so that the hotel is informed to offer these benefits....not only will it help you but it can help others in the future who might find themselves in a similar position at this property....
With all of the response, I now suppose I should. I just really hesitate to as I do not want to sound like a DYKWIA - I am happy with any upgrade as a lowly Gold.

Originally Posted by clublounger
Non-status members can now expect no more upgrades to club level rooms. THAT is likely the result of informing the property of the rules.
This is another reason I hesitate to say anything - why complain about getting something more than what was booked? Feels strange to me. It makes me curious if they should have another "category" of rooms for what I am in now - a Club Room without the benefits. Though, as is pointed out below I suspect there is little difference between this room and a "Deluxe" room - and I am curious just how much smaller a Standard room is - this room certainly does not feel spacious.

status members would get club benefits if they are upgraded to club level rooms....THAT could also be the result of informing the property....
Or more "upgrades" to Deluxe rooms and less Upgrades to Club rooms?

Originally Posted by LonLH
I am a regular at this property (250-300 nights between me and my wife easily)- we were never denied club benefits as plats EVER irrespective of the room type.
As explained above, I am a Gold - so was pleased at the upgrade irrespective of club access. I was more curious as to what protocol was in such a situation.

Originally Posted by RAPC
That is indeed the only Club lounge.

With regards to the Club access on an upgrade, it sounds like you should have access as they list Club access as a benefit that is attached to the room. Having had similar issues with some added services at a different hotel in the past, William had kindly looked in to it and clarified that if the room description specified the service, then you got it with the upgrade. (I am paraphrasing, so the language may need correcting)

If the hotel doesn't wish to offer Club access, then they would be better off not offering the upgrade. Those rooms are pretty much just the normal Deluxe Rooms anyway, but with Club access.
This is kind of how I felt after check in. It just felt dishonest to have the desk agent tell me "We've upgraded you to a Club room!" but then explain that there is no club access. Just call it a Deluxe room. Or tell me they offered an "enhanced" room without specifying type. As I've said, it is not the access or lack there of per se that bothered me, but the fact that I feel somewhat lied to - and the tone from the rep when I asked made me feel like I was some sort of criminal trying to smuggle muffins for resale.

& that's the way it should be....many times its not the property but a particular agent who is unaware of the rules....
And that is what I thought as well, but after checking with you fine folks (to confirm my own intuition) and after confirming the arraignment with another staff member - I'll now reach out to William.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'll send a quick note to William and will certainly update the thread when and if I hear back.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:46 am

Just a quick update -

I reached out to William yesterday, and today upon return to my room there was a bottle of wine, a plate of truffles, and a personal handwritten apology note. There was also a voicemail confirming the same (from the second rep I spoke to yesterday) inviting me to come back down to the check-in desk to have my key card reprogramed for lounge access.

I give the hotel significant credit for responding so quickly, and think their response was frankly over-the-top and unnecessary in that regard. I also think it is a testament to Starwood that William can be so engaged with individual guests to help work out even minor issues such as this one.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, by the way. I wasn't even sure of the policy when I posted here - and it's great to have a group of "experts" available.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:57 am

Glad to hear that they have looked after you CFFrost. I have always found it to be a good property, so I'm not surprised they have sorted things.

Also, kudos to you for your attitude about what had happened and how you dealt with it. ^
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Just a quick update -

I reached out to William yesterday, and today upon return to my room there was a bottle of wine, a plate of truffles, and a personal handwritten apology note. There was also a voicemail confirming the same (from the second rep I spoke to yesterday) inviting me to come back down to the check-in desk to have my key card reprogramed for lounge access.

I give the hotel significant credit for responding so quickly, and think their response was frankly over-the-top and unnecessary in that regard. I also think it is a testament to Starwood that William can be so engaged with individual guests to help work out even minor issues such as this one.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, by the way. I wasn't even sure of the policy when I posted here - and it's great to have a group of "experts" available.
Kudos for you for coming back and providing an update... and perhaps the hotel staff can learn from this mistake ^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Just a quick update -

good result....i'm glad you decided to reach out to william....hopefully the property/agent will be more aware of the rules now....
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom, 2009 on [Master Thread]

Good result

However I think it's a property issue. Had a similar experience with regards to the pressing (as Plat) and it all sounds familiar - including the wine and truffles after a few rounds of back and forth.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
I was hoping the poor reviews were wrong, but...

...I have rarely been as disappointed with a hotel experience as this. I burned a Suite Night Award on this stay hoping for a superior experience, and the front desk sent us to a room that felt like it was in a basement (although it was on the 5th floor), as all the windows were 5 feet above the floor...if this was an example of the premium Executive Suites, I would hate see what the standard rooms are like. Surely the CA at check-in must have known he was taking advantage of me!
The room felt as though it was a leftover space with some used furniture sparsely scattered around...we avoided even going into the living room because it felt so uncomfortable. In addition, I asked one of the very friendly doormen for advice on where to eat after arriving late. He sent us to a "local pub" which was dirty and full of smoking, raucous, tattoo-covered teens...obviously not a fit for two tired over-50 year-olds looking for a late night dining experience! We took one look, turned around, and walked until we found an appropriate and wonderful place to eat nearby.
The only bright light was the truly helpful staff at the Club Lounge.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by STARFLEET
...I have rarely been as disappointed with a hotel experience as this. I burned a Suite Night Award on this stay hoping for a superior experience, and the front desk sent us to a room that felt like it was in a basement (although it was on the 5th floor), as all the windows were 5 feet above the floor...if this was an example of the premium Executive Suites, I would hate see what the standard rooms are like. Surely the CA at check-in must have known he was taking advantage of me!
The room felt as though it was a leftover space with some used furniture sparsely scattered around...we avoided even going into the living room because it felt so uncomfortable. In addition, I asked one of the very friendly doormen for advice on where to eat after arriving late. He sent us to a "local pub" which was dirty and full of smoking, raucous, tattoo-covered teens...obviously not a fit for two tired over-50 year-olds looking for a late night dining experience! We took one look, turned around, and walked until we found an appropriate and wonderful place to eat nearby.
The only bright light was the truly helpful staff at the Club Lounge.
I have to echo how great the Club Lounge staff was - but I learned while I was there (about a month ago) that many of them are temp workers! Apparently the hotel is suffering from a huge amount of turn over right now and is bringing in temp help - this is according to one of the workers at the lounge, who was one of the few workers that was not temporary. Not sure if the problem is throughout the property, or just in the lounge / restaurants.

Also, I was upgraded to a "club" room - and was shocked with how small it was. I cannot imagine how small a standard room would have been, especially since there this was a two category upgrade - standard, deluxe, then club. I chalked it up as the consequence of a historical hotel in a city known for cramped accommodations. I would imagine the theme continues throughout the hotel - with the suites similarly cramped.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
smoking...in a pub? That doesn't sound right.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by STARFLEET
Sorry to hear about your experience. I used SNAs earlier this year, and the assigned suite was fine - not spectacular, but did the trick.

If you felt taken advantage of, why didn't you go back to the front desk and ask for a different room?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Does the lounge still provide complimentary alcoholic drinks?

What are the breakfast offerings like these days? Nothing at all in the breakfast wiki bizarrely!

Can a plat member choose to have breakfast in the restaurant?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Does the lounge still provide complimentary alcoholic drinks?

What are the breakfast offerings like these days? Nothing at all in the breakfast wiki bizarrely!

Can a plat member choose to have breakfast in the restaurant?
Here now.

Yes, complimentary drinks from 5:30-7:30pm, alongside light appetizers. Nice spread imho. Beer is limited to bottles of Heineken. Wines and other liquors are available.

Afternoon tea, with finger sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and cookies from 2:30-5:00

Breakfast is from 6:30-10:30. Continental - breads, sliced ham, sliced salmon, wrapped cheeses (babybelle and a few other soft cheeses), muffins, yoghurt, boxed cereals, selection of nuts and seeds, cut and whole fruits.

To my knowledge, free breakfast in the restaurant is not an option for Plats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.