Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Hat tip to TerryK for letting us know exec lounge open. "It is open. Not so impressive lounge with standard continental breakfast. Evening spread is wine and cheese only."
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
I stayed at LM Etoile last week. New renovated rooms are an improvement, except for the glass covering the TV that JonathanIT mentioned. I had to continually stab the remote to get the TV to respond.

At the Plat check-in I asked about the lounge and they confirmed it was gone. But she said that as a Platinum I would receive free breakfast at the main restaurant in "the VIP section". Or for an extra €10, have an a la carte bf at L'Orénoc. I has a 5 minute cereal and oj stop at the basic bf place the next morning.

On checking out there was a bf charge of €30. The different person at the Plat check-in counter had no idea about bf included, or any other arrangement. He did take the €30 charge off.
But I would advise other guests to ask more questions about bf. They haven't got it sorted out.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 7:15 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by zero savings
At the Plat check-in I asked about the lounge and they confirmed it was gone. But she said that as a Platinum I would receive free breakfast at the main restaurant in "the VIP section". Or for an extra €10, have an a la carte bf at L'Orénoc. I has a 5 minute cereal and oj stop at the basic bf place the next morning.
Why was this not offered to me? The lounge was one of the deciding factors in my selection of this hotel. Then they announced its demise about a month before my arrival. (This was one of my rare cases of booking a non-refundable rate. C3E provided significant savings.) L'Orenoc was closed during my entire stay, though I couldn't tell why. But the main restaurant was open.

Most annoying to me...
At check-in and later the next morning by a second individual, I was told that the Executive Room to which I had been upgraded was "the best room that we have." I took this to mean that they did not even have any type of suites at all. Upon further questioning about suites or junior suites, it was explained that they consider the Executive rooms to be better than the suites because the suites have not been upgraded to the "Executive Room" styling. A suite was available for the rest of my 3-night stay, but I'm not sure if one had been available on the first night. Since we had plans for the entire day, we didn't waste time trying to shuffle rooms.

I also had trouble with the TV remote in our Executive Room. I had to try different angles to get it to work. Not a big deal for me since there weren't many English channels to choose from anyway.

The maid never provided all of the bath amenities, though the front desk said that I could check with the concierge to ask housekeeping to deliver them. With a line at the concierge's desk at that moment, I gave up on that idea and naively hoped that the maid would properly restock our room during routine housekeeping that next day.

Free bottled water was provided in the room upon our arrival, but it was never restocked on the following two days. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be.

The shower in the Executive Room is curtainless with a glass wall along just the front half of the tub. I dislike this trend, and my wife absolutely hates it since 1) it leaves you in a room of cool air if you're body is not constantly under the running shower and 2) it's up to you to make sure that water doesn't end up spraying beyond the back half's edge. Why is this a popular trend? At least it worked better here than the same setup at the LM Barcelona.

The Open Studio
From the website:
"The Open Studio, available to guests staying in Executive guest rooms, combines business with pleasure. Outfitted to stimulate the mind and anticipate every business need, the exclusive Open Studio is equipped with modern furniture, meeting tables, Wi-Fi access, and Internet equipped computers with PrintMeŽ functionality. Located on the seventh floor, it is the perfect venue for small business or social gatherings."

Reality:
Anyone can get to this area on the 7th floor. There is one long table with tall stools and one tiny, short coffee table among 4 chairs. PrintMe is available on the two PCs, but it was not immediately clear about where printed items would go. I later spotted a printer in an alcove near the area.

The Open Studio's design facilitates using it as a gathering place. As a result, people sometimes sit at the computers even if not actively using them. Though it says that it's free to those staying in the Executive Rooms, it seems to be open to anyone who knows about it.

Next to the now-closed Club Lounge on the top floor is the "Business Center" -- a tiny room with two Sony VAIO PCs just like the two in the Open Studio. If you can get access to the back to unplug the ethernet cable, you can plug in your laptop for free ethernet access with your own computer. There's also an HP Color LaserJet 2840 all-in-one printer in this room. I preferred this quiet room to the Open Studio.

Since I am not used to a French keyboard, using my own laptop here was definitely preferable to using their computers. I couldn't figure out a way to switch their computer to a US keyboard configuration.

US plug compatibility
The newly remodeled Exec rooms do not have outlets to support US plugs without adapters. There is a 110V-friendly shaving outlet in the bathroom. Adapters can be borrowed from the concierge with a 20 Euro deposit (chargeable to the room). (This paragraph is more observation/information than a complaint. I forgot to bring one of my adapters with me.)

High Speed Internet Access rates in the room:
24 hours: 25 Euros
1 hour: 7 Euros
Access to http://www.starwoodhotels.com is free, but access to https://www.starwoodhotels.com is NOT free. And there's no normal way to check rates/availability without HTTPS. Other Starwood related sites such as starwoodpromos.com and www.meetinginparis.com/lemeridienetoile are also inaccessible for free.

Public Transportation:
The Metro/RER entrance is at the end of the block. Metro line 1 and RER line C are both served here. There is a fair walk to the Metro tracks once underground. Actual travel time to the Louvre is under 15 minutes.

Air France bus service to/from CDG:
From CDG, the Les Cars Air France bus is 24 Euros round-trip per person. The "Porte Maillot" stop is directly in front of the hotel (on the opposite side of the street.) After several stops around the airport following boarding near Terminal 2E, it was less than 45 minutes for the ride to the hotel.

Seats were quite comfortable, but there is very little room to keep any bags at your seat and legroom is tight. My laptop backpack would not easily fit under the seat in front of me, but I am not comfortable putting it with the other luggage under the bus.

We had two separate problems with the Les Cars bus service:

1. Upon arrival at the ticket booth in CDG, we found out that we'd have to wait an extra hour due to less frequent service that day. In typical Paris fashion, the bus drivers for our route were on strike and marching through the airport.

2. For the return to CDG, our driver insisted that our Air France (operated by CityJet) flight to Zurich would depart out of terminal 2B -- the last stop in CDG. My recollection was that it was out of 2F, but I couldn't find my printout saying so. I should've followed my gut. It was a very long haul from 2B to 2F, and we only had minutes to spare after check-in. Since this was also a ski trip, we had a good bit of luggage with us. (Fortunately no skis.)

Concierge:
We didn't use the concierge for restaurant recommendations, etc. But one of our VERY good decisions was to purchase our Eiffel Tower tickets (second level) from the concierge. At 10 Euros each, he pointed out that it did cost a couple Euros more than buying them at the tower. However, we didn't have to wait in the ticket line. As it turned out, we didn't have to wait in any line at all. We entered through the tower's completely empty "VIP/Group" line! We were on an elevator within a few minutes of our arrival at the base of the tower. Sunset was about 10 minutes after we got to the second level. Perfect!
Old Mar 11, 2009, 1:05 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by sc flier
Why was this not offered to me? The lounge was one of the deciding factors in my selection of this hotel.

Most annoying to me...
At check-in and later the next morning by a second individual, I was told that the Executive Room to which I had been upgraded was "the best room that we have."

The maid never provided all of the bath amenities..........

Free bottled water was provided in the room upon our arrival, but it was never restocked on the following two days. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be.

US plug compatibility
The newly remodeled Exec rooms do not have outlets to support US plugs without adapters. There is a 110V-friendly shaving outlet in the bathroom. Adapters can be borrowed from the concierge with a 20 Euro deposit (chargeable to the room). (This paragraph is more observation/information than a complaint. I forgot to bring one of my adapters with me.)

Just want to concur with you on a few points and add my experiences on others (I stay here very regularly).

i) No one has made this breakfast option to me either.

ii) I usually always get upgraded to a suite here, but then, hoping it will be renovated, on seeing it, always end up asking to be moved to an executive room. The suites are not impressive, some have an odd aroma, and the furnishings are poor. Executive rooms are much better.

iii) Housekeeping is hit and miss. I too have had essential toiletries not being replenished, finding half used toiletries in the bathroom on check-in, rubbish under the bed, etc.

iv) Water is never replenished. I always call and ask them to, and they do....and then the same thing the next day, and the day after, etc.

v) Not that I need it, there is always a US electrical adapter in the socket adjacent to the desk in the executive room, whenever I stay.....and that is very often. Also a note saying I will be charged so many euros if I choose to take it with me......and I was charged this later, even though I didn't take it. We had taken it out so that we could use the socket and placed it in the desk. We forgot to return it to the socket, however, the hotel reversed the charge after a very long international phone call to them.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Shantanu
Just want to concur with you on a few points and add my experiences on others (I stay here very regularly).

i) No one has made this breakfast option to me either.

ii) I usually always get upgraded to a suite here, but then, hoping it will be renovated, on seeing it, always end up asking to be moved to an executive room. The suites are not impressive, some have an odd aroma, and the furnishings are poor. Executive rooms are much better.

iii) Housekeeping is hit and miss. I too have had essential toiletries not being replenished, finding half used toiletries in the bathroom on check-in, rubbish under the bed, etc.

iv) Water is never replenished. I always call and ask them to, and they do....and then the same thing the next day, and the day after, etc.

v) Not that I need it, there is always a US electrical adapter in the socket adjacent to the desk in the executive room, whenever I stay.....and that is very often. Also a note saying I will be charged so many euros if I choose to take it with me......and I was charged this later, even though I didn't take it. We had taken it out so that we could use the socket and placed it in the desk. We forgot to return it to the socket, however, the hotel reversed the charge after a very long international phone call to them.
Stayed two nights here and will not do so again, unless have to be at the conference center opposite and it's for 1 night.

Check-in had to wait, got exec room which I booked, asked re upgrade, got suite, which was the two odd adjacent rooms. Bigger but old and falling apart. Strange smell. Opened drawer of desk and the front of the drawer fell off.

Asked whether my rate included breakfast or was complimentary for plat, but nothing. No lounge, no recognition.

Two weeks ago now and still waiting for 500 plat points to book.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Etoile

I just got back a couple of weeks ago and Le Meridien Etoile was one of the nicest European hotels I have ever visited.

I arrived for a 2 night stay late in the evening. I asked if there were any upgrades to suites available but it was a weekend and it was 11pm, so the answer was no. However, they made a point of telling me that I HAD been upgraded to the Executive room. There was a sign there at the desk that said something like "Executive rooms $75 extra". It might've been 50, and it is Euros, not dollars, but you get the picture.

When I got to the room I was exhausted and had planned to go right to bed, but I loved the room so much I stayed up, took a hot bath and dried my hair with a real hairdryer (they'd been scarce in the hotels we'd been in that trip) and laid on the bed watching tv. I have photos of the Executive room- it really amused me. The glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom was a piece of art in itself as I noticed when I left the bathroom light on. And the TV system was great! I could listen to it through speakers in the bathroom as I bathed. They had a professional type blow dryer, which for me, after all the wall units in Europe, was a Godsend.

One thing I loved was that they had ice machines with big paper cups on the floors, and a coffee machine that also served hot cocoa! I'm a big cocoa fan, especially in the evening before bed. Since I don't drink tea or coffee, I really was tickled to see the cocoa.

The only drawback, in my mind, is the size of the rooms, but that happens all over Europe. Small rooms are the norm. I enjoyed the Executive room, and love putting the key card in the electric switch/holder as you enter the room- without it, you have no lights. It's energy saving and keeps me from losing key cards, so I loved it.

The next day I went shopping and I knew I had to pack for the flight home. I asked at the desk again if they might have a suite opening that day and they really looked for me. They even called the day manager in to talk to me. The funny thing was that they did have a suite (and they'd had it the night before when I'd asked) but they didn't think I'd like it! It was in a different part of the hotel and it wasn't remodeled. One of the ladies actually said to me that it wasn't remodeled so as a Platinum member I would probably not like it! As if that card makes any difference in the things I like! I told them all that I didn't think it could be that bad.

They gave me a key to look at it, thinking I would never downgrade from an executive room to a non-remodeled suite. I was expecting a mess when I walked to the suite, but it was just a regular suite! It did not have the modern trappings that the other room had, but it was a good-sized living room attached to a separate bedroom and bath with bathtub. As much as I enjoyed the modern Executive room, I MUCH prefer having space.

The bedroom was to the side, kind of tucked away and very quiet. The bathroom was older, but fully functional. There were no speakers to listen to as I bathed but other than that, it was fine.

The extra space was wonderful as I needed to completely repack my bags, and the bed was very comfortable. The desk clerks were surprised that I liked it. I just laughed and told them that it was fine, that I liked the charm of the older room and the space. They were happy to have an executive room open (they must've been pretty well booked) and my room went to a man next to me checking in who paid the extra fee for the executive room.

The best part about the hotel was the area! I was in walking distance to just about everything I wanted to see (or had time to see) and they had a shopping mall directly across the street where I bought some stuff for my nieces and nephews and a new bag to pack all my new stuff in. The Arc is literally just down the street, as is the Champs Elysee.

If I were planning to return to Paris anytime soon, I would certainly choose this location again. The room and suite were more than satisfactory and the people who worked there were very kind. My last trip to Paris had not been a good one, and this trip was made especially better due to Le Meridien Etoile. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 7:11 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Just got this email

I just received this email:

A Star is reborn and illuminates Paris

Experience the rebirth of Le Méridien Etoile

With a respect for heritage and appreciation for the future, Le Méridien Etoile has been re-imagined into a complete sensory and contemporary experience.

Anyone know what the changes are?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by thaliajen
I just got back a couple of weeks ago and Le Meridien Etoile was one of the nicest European hotels I have ever visited.

I arrived for a 2 night stay late in the evening. I asked if there were any upgrades to suites available but it was a weekend and it was 11pm, so the answer was no. However, they made a point of telling me that I HAD been upgraded to the Executive room. There was a sign there at the desk that said something like "Executive rooms $75 extra". It might've been 50, and it is Euros, not dollars, but you get the picture.

When I got to the room I was exhausted and had planned to go right to bed, but I loved the room so much I stayed up, took a hot bath and dried my hair with a real hairdryer (they'd been scarce in the hotels we'd been in that trip) and laid on the bed watching tv. I have photos of the Executive room- it really amused me. The glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom was a piece of art in itself as I noticed when I left the bathroom light on. And the TV system was great! I could listen to it through speakers in the bathroom as I bathed. They had a professional type blow dryer, which for me, after all the wall units in Europe, was a Godsend.

One thing I loved was that they had ice machines with big paper cups on the floors, and a coffee machine that also served hot cocoa! I'm a big cocoa fan, especially in the evening before bed. Since I don't drink tea or coffee, I really was tickled to see the cocoa.

The only drawback, in my mind, is the size of the rooms, but that happens all over Europe. Small rooms are the norm. I enjoyed the Executive room, and love putting the key card in the electric switch/holder as you enter the room- without it, you have no lights. It's energy saving and keeps me from losing key cards, so I loved it.

The next day I went shopping and I knew I had to pack for the flight home. I asked at the desk again if they might have a suite opening that day and they really looked for me. They even called the day manager in to talk to me. The funny thing was that they did have a suite (and they'd had it the night before when I'd asked) but they didn't think I'd like it! It was in a different part of the hotel and it wasn't remodeled. One of the ladies actually said to me that it wasn't remodeled so as a Platinum member I would probably not like it! As if that card makes any difference in the things I like! I told them all that I didn't think it could be that bad.

They gave me a key to look at it, thinking I would never downgrade from an executive room to a non-remodeled suite. I was expecting a mess when I walked to the suite, but it was just a regular suite! It did not have the modern trappings that the other room had, but it was a good-sized living room attached to a separate bedroom and bath with bathtub. As much as I enjoyed the modern Executive room, I MUCH prefer having space.

The bedroom was to the side, kind of tucked away and very quiet. The bathroom was older, but fully functional. There were no speakers to listen to as I bathed but other than that, it was fine.

The extra space was wonderful as I needed to completely repack my bags, and the bed was very comfortable. The desk clerks were surprised that I liked it. I just laughed and told them that it was fine, that I liked the charm of the older room and the space. They were happy to have an executive room open (they must've been pretty well booked) and my room went to a man next to me checking in who paid the extra fee for the executive room.

The best part about the hotel was the area! I was in walking distance to just about everything I wanted to see (or had time to see) and they had a shopping mall directly across the street where I bought some stuff for my nieces and nephews and a new bag to pack all my new stuff in. The Arc is literally just down the street, as is the Champs Elysee.

If I were planning to return to Paris anytime soon, I would certainly choose this location again. The room and suite were more than satisfactory and the people who worked there were very kind. My last trip to Paris had not been a good one, and this trip was made especially better due to Le Meridien Etoile. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!
I too have had several very pleasant stays at the Meridien Etoile, and agree with everything you said about the Executive room, the staff, and the ideal location.

I would want to add that the buffet breakfast (gratis to Platinum member) in the President's Lounge is superb, and from the lounge's terrace, you can also see the Eiffel Tower.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
Unhappy Alas, Le Meridien Etoile is no more (for me)

Childish perhaps, but yesterday (June 18, 2009) it was a major disappointment to discover the demise of the 8th floor lounge. Having been a steady visitor for the past five years, at least 25 visits, typically 3 days each, I came to count on evening unwind and morning breakfast on the 8th floor roof deck. Now the 8th/9th floor has no significance. Just a room that takes longer to get to. And on top of that (as reported earlier by others) :

1) Breakfast today cost 19 Euro's. No offer to wave that for a very frequent Platinum visitor. Side note, I have always really disliked the breakfast buffet downstairs! I guess at least the buffet is cheaper than it used to be (was 24 Euro's last time I had used it)
2) Speaking to the desk staff made no difference, but they were pleasant, but clearly they've heard the "I'm so disappointed" speech before and were prepared.
3) Was told they are turning the lounge into a "real business center" (who wants that at the expense of the roof deck). Could they have not taken some space from the lobby level? BIG MISTAKE MY FRIENDS!
4) The business center will take 2 years to build, and sometime after that they will make a lounge somewhere in the building. (again, that's smart; take a nice view and make a business center).

I'm majorly bummed that now I need to find another hotel in the area that has something to distinguish it from the rest, in the same general area, that is in the budget my company will not choke on.

Le Meridien Etoile, You lost me at bonjour
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Could someone tell me what benefits (breakfast, club access etc?) you get as a platinum at LM Etoile please? Thank you.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Could someone tell me what benefits (breakfast, club access etc?) you get as a platinum at LM Etoile please? Thank you.
The club room has gone and no breakfast vouchers anymore.....got them once....and only once. Since then, it's just a plain old sorry!....but there is a good cheap breakfast across the road at the Paris convention centre. They always upgrade....so book the cheapest room....but I would advise against accepting a suite.....they're a bit musty! Can't think of any memorable Platinum benefits...and I stay there quite a bit!
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Thank you Shantanu. Pity about 'no extra benefits' other than room upgrade, but I guess it's better than nothing (thank you for your warning about the suite - that's definitely something to watch out for).
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
just stayed there 2 weeks ago and got upgraded to a renovated suite. it was great! it was on 6th floor. they also have free computers with internet on 6th and 7th fl by the elevators. just ask front desk for password for the duration of your stay. we also managed to get free breakfast at the upscale restaurant (forget what it's called, but it's not the main buffet). so, it's still under discretion of manager.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
The first thing that struck me here this week was the minibar. EIGHT EURO for a Coke?? Gimme a freaking break. I know minibars are not cheap but my goodness this place is the highest I have ever seen anywhere including many Four Seasons, et al.

- No breakfast as a Platinum and I did ask.
- €19 for internet.
- Bed lumpy and uncomfortable (this is a refurbished Exec room)
- Tiny tiny tiny room. Did I mention it was small?
- Location is fine, an easy commute on the Metro Line 1 for the Arc, Louvre, etc., and Bus 43 is direct to Gare du Nord and St. Lazare. Bus 82 to Eiffel Tower and Luxembourg Gardens. Right on top of RER C for Versailles. Very good Relais de Venice entrecote restaurant just down the block. Good italian at Ozio on R.St. Ferdinand just north of Hertz (3 blocks from hotel?). All major car rentals close by if you want that. Mall and supermarket across the street. Bois de Bulogne a short walk down, kids really enjoyed the Jardin D'Acclimatation park (carnival rides and mini zoo).

Oh and on restaurants- we arrived at around 10pm and the closest thing was Chez Clement a couple doors down. Quite possibly the most disgusting meal (there were 6 of us and 6 different entrees) I have ever had in my life, including airline food. You've been warned.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:53 am

SOme people have mentioned junior suites to both be renovated and dated? Does anyone know if that is from the time frame of the posts or are all junior suites renovated now? I only ask as I want to know if I should request a junior suite upgrade at checkin for being a Platinum? Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kopacetic24
SOme people have mentioned junior suites to both be renovated and dated? Does anyone know if that is from the time frame of the posts or are all junior suites renovated now? I only ask as I want to know if I should request a junior suite upgrade at checkin for being a Platinum? Thanks.
I can't answer your question specifically regarding the suites, but not all the floors are renovated. Definitely the rooms on 1/F aren't done. You can tell which floors are renovated by just stepping out of the lift and see the decor.

Should note while I am a Platinum member, I stayed at the hotel, but it wasn't booked or paid by me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.