Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]

Hat tip to TerryK for letting us know exec lounge open. "It is open. Not so impressive lounge with standard continental breakfast. Evening spread is wine and cheese only."
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:26 pm
wma
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Arrow Le Méridien Etoile, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Heading over on April Fools day for 5 days. The Etoile was significantly less money than any other SPG Property and I've had good luck with Le Meridien in Shanghai. Now (tomorrow actually) that's it part of SPG I hope to be upgraded. Has anyone stayed there? What should I expect?
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wma
Heading over on April Fools day for 5 days. The Etoile was significantly less money than any other SPG Property and I've had good luck with Le Meridien in Shanghai. Now (tomorrow actually) that's it part of SPG I hope to be upgraded. Has anyone stayed there? What should I expect?
Hi. There is a big difference between the Shanghai and Paris Meridiens. I stayed here once- it was part of a cheap flight deal for a weekend. I would not have stayed here otherwise- it is huge for starters at over 1000 rooms. I believe it is owned by Air France- but not sure- in any case think about a OK Holiday Inn and you wont be too upset or disappointed. They do have club floors- but I did not stay on them so dont have too much info. Everyone I met in the elevator/lobby/etc seemed to be on a package tour. The bar had terrible service and prices to match the 4 Seasons. Let us know what the SPG upgrade was like- this is a big impersonal box meeting hotel in a romantic city...but you can get some really cheap rates
Old Mar 18, 2006, 6:34 pm

Only desirable features of Etoile Meridien is location if you are at convention center across the street and the AirFrance bus from C Degaulle airport.
Front desk is very disorganized and denied that I had reservation even though I had a copy in hand and showed it. 2 others checking in at same time had similar experience.

Room was dingy, yucky carpet and old bedding, bathroom smelled of drains. Not on a cheap rate either so wasn't assigned room because of cheap rate
I would never go back unless Starwood does a major upgrade
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I stayed there once too. As the others stated, very unimpressive. I too wouldn't look forward to another visit. Keep you're expectations low and you won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 6:26 am
wma
Original Poster

So I've read these threads and don't have a warm feeling about staying at LM Etoile. I also read the thread on the Westin Paris. That didn't get such high ratings either. I can't afford the Prince de Galles. My new question - without starting a new thread - should I abandon the thought of staying at an SPG for my romantic B-day get away and stay at a little pension? Any thoughts??
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
Have you looked at LM Montparnasse. It is in the 14th pretty close to 6th. Also a large hotel and might be a bit impersonal but the location is great. Lots of restaurants within walking distance and a number of subways. Close to Montparnasse cemetary. I have not stayed here in a long time so not sure what state it is in.
It is in a worse state than the other one... There was a debate at one time about tearing this eyesore down
Location is very good.
Old Mar 20, 2006, 8:18 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
[QUOTE=wma]So I've read these threads and don't have a warm feeling about staying at LM Etoile. I also read the thread on the Westin Paris. That didn't get such high ratings either. I can't afford the Prince de Galles. My new question - without starting a new thread - should I abandon the thought of staying at an SPG for my romantic B-day get away and stay at a little pension? Any thoughts??[/QUOTE

When I travel to Europe I prefer staying at smaller hotels or hotels that are part of the city where I'm travelling. Paris has absolutely amazing places to stay. I liked the deGalles but stayed there once using points for 1 night - absolutely lovely.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 7:20 am
wma
Original Poster

Update on the LM Etoile

Spent 3 nights at the LM Etoile. Everyone's post above were right. No better than a Holiday Inn. AAMOF, I've stayed in nicer Holiday Inn's. From the start the staff was friendly. We had several reservations because of different rates. The first night we were using points, the second night night it was a weekend rate, and the third night was a regular rate. Because the rates were different we had three different reservation numbers. Normally this wouldn't throw an SPG property, they would put everything together and give us one bill. Not here. They couldn't get it together. They gave us one bill for each night and we had to recheck in again. In addition, I made a reservation for my DH's business associate for nights two and three (in the associates name mind you), which the hotel promptly cancelled because we already had one room.

The first night for my points we were supposed to get a club room. They gave us this hole on the 4th floor and told me it was better, it was an executive room. I refused the room.

Then they moved me up to the 7th floor (Club is on 8). By then we were too tired, just wanted to have dinner, walk around and sleep, so I didn't make a big deal. The hotel has one central heating/AC system and they haven't converted from heat to AC yet. The room on the 7th floor was pumping out heat, even though we had the thermostat set to 15C. The windows were sealed. When I tried to shut the fan off, there felt like there was no air in the room. It was like a sauna all night. The plan to sleep, didn't really work.

The next day a wonderful Rep. Marabella in the Club Lounge Reception was very helpful and got us into a room on the Club floor. When we walked into the room and I saw the window opened I said, "We'll take it."

It was after they cancelled our associates room that I demanded to see the manager on duty, by this time it was 6PM in the evening. I explained that they cancelled a credit card confirmed reservation (we had several sets of confirmations papers,) and that I was supposed to get a Club room and I didn't, not to mention any upgrade for being PLT. He apologized. I told him that wasn't good enough. That I spent the night in a hot box, was up most of the night and I wanted to be compensated for my inconvenience. He said he would get back to me after he spoke to his supervisor the next day. I said fine, we went out for the evening.

That night we left a wake up call for 7AM as my DH had an 8am meeting. At 8:10 the TV in the room comes on automatically. We jump up look at the time, DH quickly throws on clothes and runs out to the BKFST meeting in the lobby. I call the reception and asked what happened to my wake up call. The manager on duty basically said OOPs, we made a mistake. I asked if there was a record of my request. She said yes, but that someone didn't put it in the system. The next night we didn't even try for a wakeup call we set our cell phone.

I did speak with the Manager on duty from the night before and he was truly embarrassed by the new developments. He did say his supervisor agreed to compensate me for the first night, when I should've been on the club floor and I wasn't, and the room was sub-standard. I have not seen the compensation yet. He also removed the charge for one day's internet for the foul-up of the wake up call. Whooppee. The fact my DH was late for his meeting, when he's never late for anything, did not make for a happy man.

The stay and the points have posted, but the 500PLT amenity did not. I will wait until the end of the week to see if my compensation comes through. If not I will email the manager.

The property is tired, very tired. Which is a shame as it's in a good location, on a good Metro Line (10) and on an RER. There are tons of good inexpensive (for Paris) restaurants all within walking distance. It's only 1 mile walk from the Arch.

The fact that the rooms are small, it's Paris, what do you expect, but the beds could be better, there could be outlets on the desks, the rugs need replacing, and the lounge needs to be a full lounge. Just water, coffee and nuts are not enough.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 9:08 am

Le Meridian's in Paris

I serached and couldn't seem to come up with anything. I will be in Paris for 2 nights in November and will probably do 1 paid and 1 on points. I stayed at the Meridian Montparnesse two months ago and was disappointed. no upgrade, no status recongition and a lousy gym. I have read the reviews of the westin paris, so thought I might triy Le Meridian L'etoile and wondered if anyone had any recent experiences or any better recommendations. I love the Sheraton PDG, but a little pricey

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2006, 1:48 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Le Méridien Étoile is fairly average - the upgraded rooms aren't bad, though, and the jazz bar is excellent (if rather pricey). It's not in the centre, but it well positioned for the Palais des Congres and the Air France coach from Roissy. It's opposite Metro line 1, too, which is handy.

Personally, I've given up on chain hotels in Paris (K+K Cayré notwithstanding) and tend to go for boutique hotels instead. The Special Places to Stay guide is excellent.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
The LeMeridien Etoile is adequate if you can get it on Priceline or something as I did... I wouldn't pay their going rate--I suspect that most who do would be disappointed.

More info at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Etoile
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Depends what is important to you - the OP mentions that the gym at the Montparnasse was not up to scratch (from memory it is just a normal guest room that they have stuck a couple of machines in). If a gym is important to you then the Etoile may not be the one for you - I was there a couple of weeks ago and on checking out the person next to me was complaining about the gym (it is a 3rd party gym across the street) and the fact that it cost €25 per visit (from recollection).

The LM Etoile was adequate for my needs, across the street from the Congres for the conference I was attending, on Metro line 1 to visit La Defense to see some clients and close to Neuilly sur Seine for my local office. Room was distinctly average but had good broadband in the room (about €20 per day). Didn't use any of the bars and restaurants so can't comment on those - had some colleagues staying at the Concorde LaFayette oppostite so we ended up in the rooftop cocktail lounge there a couple of nights - asking for the bill is not for the faint-hearted at €23.50 per person for the first drink and €11 pp thereafter, great view of the Eiffel Tower though.

Having said that, comparing my previous 1 experience at LM Montparnasse with LM Etoile, the Etoile is a couple of notches above the Montparnasse! (it would be difficult to be as bad as the Montparnasse!)

The PdG in Av. George V is a top hotel, certainly would be my choice if you can get a good rate. If you do stay at the PdG then there is a great restaurant opposite called Flora. The PdG is much more centrally situated for the sites if you are doing touristy things. It is less of a business hotel as suits the Luxury Collection tag - much more interested in ensuring your comfort. Can't remember what the situation is with a gym there.

Can't comment on the Westin at all, not having stayed there.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I stayed at the LM Etoile back in late 2004 and it was ok. Were given a really pokey room but got moved after having a word with the guy on the desk despite being a "rosbif"

The girlfriend and I (as we were then) found it ok for walking despite not being in the most central location although the nearby metro station was handy for being lazy. A good 10-15min stroll from L'Arc de Triomphe.

Not the most impressive stay and I doubt I'd go back as Paris has some really fine hotels.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat & CK, SPG Plat, UA Exec Premier
Le Meridien Etoile in Paris?

Heading to Le Meridien Etoile in Paris. I usually stay at the Westin but cannot get a room below EUR600 so chose this one.

Has anyone stayed here and can you tell me about your experience?

Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 8:28 pm
BCH

I've stayed at both the Westin (though it was the I.C. in those days) and at LeMeridien Etoile (just a few months ago).

LeMeridien is not of the same caliber as the Westin, I would say it's more like a nice HolidayInn, and has a very 1980's-glamor feel to it. It's very clean, and the staff is very professional.

If you'll be traveling a lot by Metro, then you're in luck because Porte Maillot stop is virtually just across the street.

It is deceptive, however, of this hotel to call itself Etoile because it's not all that near Etoile/Charles-de-Gaulle. Though it is on the same Metro line.

We had 4 rooms for 8 people. Each room had 2 bathrooms (one well-sized and marble-appointed, the other barely big enough for a toilet). I think the hotel is delta-shaped, so you either have rooms facing the inner courtyard (and thus other rooms) or you can face out. The inner-facing rooms' views are rather boring, though quieter than their counterparts.

I hope you enjoy your stay!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.