Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2006, 3:27 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Oh and a related question:

How far/long is the walk from the FP Centre-Ville to the Le Meridien Versailles?
Old May 27, 2006, 6:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon
You've convinced me. I'll give the W a try during my jaunt to Montreal next month!
Sure you will enjoy it. One eating recommendation would be:

http://www.chezlepicier.com/eng/index.htm

An easy walk from the W and very nice.
Old May 27, 2006, 6:59 am
SST

The walk from the Four Points to the Chateau Versailles is maybe 15 minutes (plus or minus 5, of course, depending on if you racewalk or amble, and whether there's a lot of traffic or not. At night, you jaywalk. At rush hour, there's a lot of lights to wait at.)

The walk from Four Points to the Palais, IMHO, is about 15 minutes too (anticipating the next question). The "W" is practically next door to the palais. The LeCentre Sheraton is perhaps 20 minutes walk to the Palais. Note that it is slightly downhill from all three non-W hotels, so the walk TO the Palais is less likely to break a sweat than the walk FROM the palais. And a cab is probably C$6 and C$8 to the Versailles. And walking in Montreal is nice if the weather's good.

Note that with the expansion of some of the Square-Victoria area passageways underground you can walk and make it essentially all the way from the Palais/I-C/W area through the Gare Central to Ste Catherines' and even Sherbrooke Streets under ground (you eventually get to Eaton Centre and the McGill metro, a few blocks west of the 4P, and ascend up to Sherbrooke from there) if it's excessively hot/cold/rainy. It's quite a labyrinth, but there's good shopping and a million places to eat/drink on what has to be about a 1.5 mile walk. It can put you a stone's throw from the LeCentre too.

Have a nice trip.
Old May 7, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Montreal La Meridien????

Greetings:

I have attempted to run a serach on the LM but come up with almost nothing.

I have emailed the hotel asking for suggestions on what room to book for a special event (50th Birthday) I indicated that I was thinking small suite but was open to suggestions....after a week I have heard nothing.......

I don't want Four points (Have stayed there many times) and thought I would try something new instead of the Sheraton.....but....now am thinking that best stay with a location I know and have enjoyed.

Any comments would be appreciated on the La Meridien...or for that matter on any of the other locations

Thanks........................

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 7, 2008 at 10:07 am Reason: Moved into master thread unedited
Old May 7, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
The W in Montreal is great. Never tried the LM, I'd give the W a look though.
Old May 7, 2008, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I believe room XX54 (but it might be XX52) is a beautiful corner room (windows on both sides) facing Sherbrooke St.

If you search `versailles`, you`ll find lots of threads.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
avoid the LM tower on Sherbrooke St in Montreal

[QUOTE=TomT;9688580]Greetings:

I have attempted to run a serach on the LM but come up with almost nothing.

I have emailed the hotel asking for suggestions on what room to book for a special event (50th Birthday) I indicated that I was thinking small suite but was open to suggestions....after a week I have heard nothing.......

I don't want Four points (Have stayed there many times) and thought I would try something new instead of the Sheraton.....but....now am thinking that best stay with a location I know and have enjoyed.

Any comments would be appreciated on the La Meridien...or for that matter on any of the other locations
__________________________________________________ _______________

The SO and I just spent three nights at this location in the tower on Sherbrooke St. We used a cash and points awards so it ran us about $45 plus taxes each night.
Overall it was fairly disappointing. I have had much better experiences with this brand elsewhere. Tiny rooms (222 Sq Ft), dim lights making reading a book difficult, a small-ish queen bed. a toilet that rocked liked it was gonna fall over, no CNBC on the tele, only two ice machines in the whole building and one of them was, of course, out of order. Our 9th floor room had a tiny view of St Matheiu St. and a full view of the ugly residence towers across the alley and street. A crowded lobby, narrow halls leading to the two elevators, too many parents with kids in strollers (fer gawds sakes!!) hogging what little space exists in the public areas.
The last straw was that the restaurant wasn't even open on a Sunday evening!! Please tell me how you run a 'luxury' hotel without a restaurant on a Sunday night?

Overall one of the lousiest SPG awards I have ever suffered through....
I frankly fail to see how this brand would allow a hotel like this to use it's name.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
JPat -

Sorry you had a rough time here. I don't disagree with your comments about this hotel.

My comments would be this: this hotel purports to be "European Style." I'm not sure what they mean, but I take it to mean that the lobby is astronomically small and the elevators are equally tiny. (We're talking super small here, folks.)

I have only stayed here twice, and I was lucky to have been assigned a larger room than what you had. Even still, the bathroom was quite small. My room was very updated and exceptionally comfortable, but by no means spacious.

On both visits, I had good experiences with the front desk staff. I only had breakfast one morning in the restaurant, but I'm aware that the restaurant is independently run and has garnered a slew of awards for its dinner menu. The reviews of the place really are stellar, but I didn't check it out.

Some folks really like the feel of a smaller, boutique, Parisian hotel, but for me, there are better options in better locations in Montreal.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Thumbs down Stay away

I just had a very disappointing stay. The room was dark (**53), poorly maintained and generally sub par. The room was also exceedingly hot and, therefore, had a very "unfresh" smell. And this was one one of their "Executive" floors.

For the price paid ($239 prepaid), it would have been worthwhile to go elsewhere as this hotel is below even the exceedingly low standards of the Sheraton Centre Ville.

In terms of Gold/ Platinum recognition, there was an upgrade offered to a north facing, Queen bedroom on the Executive Floor.

The staff were generally friendly although as previously stated, the lobby exceedingly small. The elevators were also a bit on the small side.

So I would rate this property an "avoid" -- far, far from what you'd expect a Meridien to be.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Anything Recent

Toward the end of March I am just in Montreal for a night, and there is a $139 rate including breakfast. My other option is the Aloft at $122.

Anyone have any recent opinions, especially of the breakfast?

d.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
I've stayed at both. I rarely get decent upgrades at Le Meridien and I once even got a platinum downgrade to a double bed room which was markedly dorm-like(after my exec suite was showing in "My Stays" earlier in the day). It wasn't the fact that I didn't get the upgrade- its that they couldn't honor my preferred room choice (which I have saved in my *Wood preferences) after they downgraded me. They promised points, but they never showed and I just wrote the whole experience off. Also- they only have wireless which can be spotty on my laptop. However, the location is decent and the breakfast spread in the morning is nice. Continental items are included for plats free of charge, but if you want any eggs/meats you have to pay extra. Wait staff serves you since it is in the restaurant so you have to tip. I only stay there when I really need to hop (the W is my #1 choice by far but rates there can get pricy).

Aloft is far from the city (and obviously doesn't do upgrades- per the brand) and traffic can be brutal-sometimes up to an hour to get downtown. However, I liked the king room at the Aloft and the self serve breakfast is cheap and easy. As for airport properties the Aloft is much better than the haggard old Hilton, which reminds me of an 80s Econolodge.

If you don't want/need to be downtown and you just need stay credit- save yourself the $45 taxi and hassle and just stay at the aLoft. However, if you need to be downtown for a meeting or anything, do Le Meridien.. its not that bad.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I agree with Pitbrian. I've also stayed at both, and think it really depends if you want/need to be downtown (and possibly if you have an early flight out, in which case Aloft might work better). Staff are pleasant enough at both locations.

For one night, the Meridien is alright - the rooms are small and quite dark, and the elevator and hallways tiny (old apartment building, I believe). However, it's got a decent location, and the breakfast is alright. It's not great for getting any work done. Again, for one night though, it's worth not having to fight the traffic if you need to be downtown.

The Aloft is as advertised. New, bright, spotless, right by the airport, and a WAYYYY better choice than the tired old Hilton next door. I think parking is free there too, if I recall correctly.

If it matters to you, the fitness room at the Aloft is quite well equipped and spacious, a far cry better than Le Meridien.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Any updates? Anyone with recent stays willing to post their experiences here? It seems like the majority who have posted here in the past rate this property as a quasi piece of crap from an overall perspective (from what would normally expect what the Le Meridien brand should be).
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; UA 1K
Visited Montreal 2 years ago... so my info could be a little bit outdated... but I can't see how they could have improved this hotel in 2 years time (or if they've even done any sort of renovation). I stayed at both the W and this Le Meridien, and the difference was huuuuge.

I couldn't believe this is a Le Meridien - really tiny hotel, really old and small rooms (no flatscreen yet at that time), old hallways, tiny lobby. When we called to ask if there's a better room, they told us that was one of the best rooms they had. I believe them. I'm sure the "old" furniture probably was considered grandiose at some point -- years and years ago. But the hotel needs a refurb. The staff was really nice though.

P.S. the W is great with upgrades!!!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tinytina
Visited Montreal 2 years ago... so my info could be a little bit outdated... but I can't see how they could have improved this hotel in 2 years time (or if they've even done any sort of renovation). I stayed at both the W and this Le Meridien, and the difference was huuuuge.

I couldn't believe this is a Le Meridien - really tiny hotel, really old and small rooms (no flatscreen yet at that time), old hallways, tiny lobby. When we called to ask if there's a better room, they told us that was one of the best rooms they had. I believe them. I'm sure the "old" furniture probably was considered grandiose at some point -- years and years ago. But the hotel needs a refurb. The staff was really nice though.

P.S. the W is great with upgrades!!!
Thanks - just to clarify, I've stayed at both the W Montreal and Le Westin Montreal within the last three months. I last stayed at the Sheraton Montreal in the summer of 2006 under my gf's Gold status and wasn't impressed at the time. I've also stayed at the now defunct FP Sheraton Centre-Ville. I am asking about the Le Meridien mainly because I am interested in trying it out (unless I get more additional negative updated responses) and also its the cheapest property so far that is allowing C&P for the weekend I plan to go.

I've already booked an upcoming C&P stay for Le Meridien Versailles, but will cancel it if others give additional negative feedback.

Thanks!

- yyznomad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.