Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Montreal Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by ptpinit
Looking at rooms for a conference at Palais Des Congres in Montreal this November (brrrrrrrrr), and here's the price breakdown for *wood:

4 Pts. Centre-Ville - $100 CAD
Le Meridien Versailles - $139 CAD
W Montreal - $169 CAD
Le Centre Sheraton - $259 CAD

I've booked the 4 Pts. since it is so cheap, but would the Le Meridien be worth a measly $39 CAD/nt more? Keep in mind I'm only Preferred Plus, so I don't think that gets me much more in terms of upgrades (Preferred Floor perhaps?).
I agree with the others about taking the Le Meridien or the W. To me, the 4 Points Centre-Ville is just nasty.
Old May 25, 2006, 5:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum - OnePass Platinum
I stayed there last week, and as a plat they treated me very well. I checked in for a two night stay and they had upgraded me to a penthouse suite with a large living room, kitchen area, dining table and bedroom and included breakfast. After the first day, the project I was in town for was ahead of schedule so I checked out after the first night. Of course by doing that I doomed my project and had to call the hotel to ask if I could get a room back. I was told they were sold out, and that the suite I was in had already been given away but after a minute of looking they came back and told me they would put me in a Jr. suite at the same rate I had booked the night previous! Can't ask for better than that!

Oh, and the 4pts by the airport looked nice, but there didn't seem to be much of anything nearby. It's not a long ride to get downtown, I think the extra $30 a night would be worth it to stay at the LeMeridien.
Old May 25, 2006, 6:13 am

Gadzooks! I proposed to my (now former-) beloved at the Château Versailles, when it was a small and charming B&B and my inn of choice in Montréal. They purchased and renovated the apartment building across Sherbrooke in the early or mid 80s (that's now Le Méridien). It used to be a very convenient place to stay when going to a Canadiens-Bruins game at the Forum. (Alas, now there's no reason to see either team, and the Forum is just a memory.)

This is a much better location in the nice-weather months: very pleasant strolls along Sherbrooke, especially heading toward Westmount. However, it's several blocks away from the underground shopping maze or a subway, and that can be a frigid walk from November through March or April. In those months, better to stay at a more centrally-located place.
Old May 25, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wideman
This is a much better location in the nice-weather months: very pleasant strolls along Sherbrooke, especially heading toward Westmount. However, it's several blocks away from the underground shopping maze or a subway, and that can be a frigid walk from November through March or April. In those months, better to stay at a more centrally-located place.
So, you're saying a walk from the W or the 4 Pts would be better to Palais Des Congres in November? How far by foot would you say it was from both hotels? I've read numerous reviews on the W and I'm not sure if it's "for me", somehow having a 10-month old seems to drain any remnants of hip or cool out of you Having never stayed in a W, I'm looking for a decent room, not too noisy, where I can get some sleep and be close enough to the conference center, shops, and restaurants.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:13 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by ptpinit
So, you're saying a walk from the W or the 4 Pts would be better to Palais Des Congres in November? How far by foot would you say it was from both hotels? I've read numerous reviews on the W and I'm not sure if it's "for me", somehow having a 10-month old seems to drain any remnants of hip or cool out of you Having never stayed in a W, I'm looking for a decent room, not too noisy, where I can get some sleep and be close enough to the conference center, shops, and restaurants.
With a 10-month old in tow, I would certainly recommend the 4 Pts. There are plenty of suites in the hotel, and most of them have refridgerators and microwaves IIRC. Might be useful for warming up formula etc...

IMHO, the W is certainly not child-friendly.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:14 pm

Actually I'll be sans child for the conference in Montreal It's just the fact that I'm a father that has managed to somehow magically transform my social life. I just wonder whether I personally will like the W. I guess it's worth a shot to find out, since the Montreal W seems to be rated as one of the true W experiences.
Old May 25, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by junglist
Oh, and the 4pts by the airport looked nice, but there didn't seem to be much of anything nearby. It's not a long ride to get downtown, I think the extra $30 a night would be worth it to stay at the LeMeridien.
I don't think we're talking about the 4Points at the airport here. We're talking about the 4Points downtown on Sherbrooke street near La Place des Arts. It would be really out of the way to stay at the 4Points in Dorval... oh! and the traffic in the morning, however there is no traffic in Montreal compared to what Americans are used to
Old May 25, 2006, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I don't think we're talking about the 4Points at the airport here. We're talking about the 4Points downtown on Sherbrooke street near La Place des Arts. It would be really out of the way to stay at the 4Points in Dorval... oh! and the traffic in the morning, however there is no traffic in Montreal compared to what Americans are used to
That is correct, on Rue Sherbrooke Ouest BTW, the W rate I saw was for AAA and advance purchase required, so now I'm having to rethink the whole thing....
Old May 26, 2006, 2:12 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
The W is the closest hotel to the Palais de Congres... You can walk out of the hotel and enter an office building that would then connect you direct to the Palais.

The Four Points is a much longer walk... MUCH longer
Old May 26, 2006, 2:25 pm
SST

Actually, the Inter-Continental is "closer" to the Palais de Congres, but we're talking by a matter of maybe 200 feet.

Now, back to that discussion: I haven't yet managed to score the "W" because every time I try there's either no rooms under about $395 or only a queen tiny room. I've stayed at the 4-pts on Sherbrooke over the years; it's OK, but nothing more than a Holiday Inn quality. The bigger rooms are nice, but the beds aren't (or weren't, a year ago when thru my neckache the next morning I swore it was my last stay there, which I will promptly abandon next time I'm faced with $400 hotels). The Le Centre Sheraton is really a good stay, good elite recognition, nice rooms, nice beds, good lounge, good location. BUT THE 4 POINTS AT DORVAL IS THE PITS. Old, tired, and poorly maintained, in a crummy location.

The "W" is truly the SPG hotel of choice for the Palais. I really like the Inter-Continental though. And the Gault or St. James, a block away, are best yet.

The Chateau Versailles' location, out past Cotes-des-Neiges on Sherbrooke puts you way-far from where I like to hang out. Rue Crescent is loaded with what seem to be teens on weekend nights, and every street west of that is uninteresting. I'd rather hang out on St-Laurent or St.-Denis (far East of there), or in the less touristy sections of the Vieux Port, and when I get personal time to spend downtown it's generally the fests and shopping from Crescent -EAST- to Place des Arts. That puts Versailles in my book only when I've gotten a great rate. Which I've booked several times, but always had to cancel. The hotel goes from $139+ to about $209+, and I'd rather stay at the LeCentre or non-SPG for $209.

But have a great trip to Montreal regardless. Always a good time.
Old May 26, 2006, 3:56 pm

Thanks for your observations. As much as I'd like to try the W experience, I don't know if I can justify the cost especially with other options nearby. Need to be semi-frugal since I am finagling an international conference trip, ha! Although I try to be loyal to SPG and rack up the points, perhaps looking into the IC is a good idea, even as a lowly non-status PC member Heck, I'm only slightly higher than slime on the SPG and HH totem poles. The going rate for my stay is $187 CAD/nt at the IC. Also have read decent reviews on the new HIX nearby.
Old May 26, 2006, 4:48 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by SST
Actually, the Inter-Continental is "closer" to the Palais de Congres, but we're talking by a matter of maybe 200 feet.
Yes, but this is the SPG forum... Staying somewhere else, like the 4pts will cost you more in cabs than the diff in the room rate. You won't be walking so happily in a November rain storm
Old May 26, 2006, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
W W W

I hotel hopped in Montreal, and the W is awesome. Dont miss it! The other hotels are the same as anywhere else, the W is great. You can go through the basement to the subway.
Okay, but how "hip" is it? Would the staff and patrons turn down their noses if one wasn't dressed say in all black or didn't look like they were part of the "in" or "happening" crowd?

P.S.: My only previous W experience was at Sydney, which was fine, although I doubt if I've ever seen a greater collection of tanned, skin revealing, coiffured hair, designer sunglasses wearing people at the same time previously! Felt really quite out of place in my rather sober business (albeit Hugo Boss) charcoal grey suit. To be fair though, the hotel staff were most friendly and helpful!
Old May 27, 2006, 1:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Okay, but how "hip" is it? Would the staff and patrons turn down their noses if one wasn't dressed say in all black or didn't look like they were part of the "in" or "happening" crowd?

P.S.: My only previous W experience was at Sydney, which was fine, although I doubt if I've ever seen a greater collection of tanned, skin revealing, coiffured hair, designer sunglasses wearing people at the same time previously! Felt really quite out of place in my rather sober business (albeit Hugo Boss) charcoal grey suit. To be fair though, the hotel staff were most friendly and helpful!
I found it pretty mellow when I was there. Mexico City was the one I really felt uncool in (not from the staff just from how everyone else looked). We made use of the bars quite a lot, and enjoyed it. Remember this is still Canada, so how cool can it be??
The rooms are really really nice, which is the main thing.
Old May 27, 2006, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Remember this is still Canada, so how cool can it be??
You've convinced me. I'll give the W a try during my jaunt to Montreal next month!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.