Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Long Beach, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by remymartin
From a purely (carless) leisure perspective, is this a decent property?
I think so. You can lounge by the pool, wander over to a strip of bars and restaurants, the Pike, etc. And you are a short drive or a longish walk to the beach. I think they still have the water taxi to Belmont Shores which is nice for beach, shopping or bars.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Much appreciated, thanks stimpy!
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
From a purely (carless) leisure perspective, is this a decent property?
I stayed here earlier this year. I liked it. It was ok.

So know that Long Beach have several electrical issues for the past couple of weeks. Not sure whether the hotel has a back up for that or not.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
I stayed here earlier this year. I liked it. It was ok.
That would be a summary of my three night experience.

Nice enough folks but not really a sharply run outfit. Quick to respond but not very proactive. Seems recently renovated but small things like broken door handles is rather unimpressive. Good location in the heart of restaurants and bars.

Only real complaint is lack of SPG recognition. Huge hotel with views of the water on the one side and mountains/town on the other. I, however, was given a room at the very end looking right into the offices of the building on the other side of the sidewalk. Furthermore, late check-out was denied (even though I was only asking for 2pm, not 4pm).

It's not like you have other Starwood options in Long Beach and they seem to know it. There are a couple Marriott options so this property may lose loyalty post-merger when there's more than one choice in town.

UPDATE: due to an unimpressive check-in experience, the very nice front desk agent offered to give me the Plat breakfast by way of apology in addition to my initial choice of 500 points. When my stay posted, I did not get the 500 points and it was noted I chose the breakfast instead. I contacted the hotel and got no response. Unimpressive even after I'd left.

Last edited by EnvoyBoy; Apr 27, 2016 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'll be staying at this hotel for a 3-day conference in early 2017. I'm wondering if it's worth bringing my wife along. The conference will keep me tied up all day, so it's a question of whether she will enjoy the hotel. I'm a newly minted low level Plat (a Marriott status match recently moved me up to Plat from my previous SPG Gold level).

From what I've read in this thread:
1. No executive lounge - that's a big minus. If that has changed, please let me know.
2. Will I be offered breakfast as a Plat amenity? If so, at least she'd be able to get something to eat in the AM. (My conference will be feeding me 3 meals a day, so I'm concerned about her).
3. It sounds like chances for a room upgrade are only so-so. I get the impression we want to be on a high floor looking out at the harbor rather than facing a building next door. It's a mid-week meeting, and I'm wondering if that might improve my chances for a room upgrade?

I don't want to screw this up. These meetings come up a few times per year and most of the previous hotels have been disappointments. So usually I don't bring her along. But the last conference was at the Hyatt Huntington Beach, which is a fabulous hotel. I sent her some photos of my room and the hotel and boy, was I in hot water for not inviting her to come along. I'd appreciate any updated comments.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently had another stay and was upgraded to an exec suite. It's the same end of the hall suite I've almost always gotten for years here. I never asked about the breakfast, but there is a small breakfast/lunch shop just a few steps out the side door that has good cheap food. And loads of good restaurants a few blocks away. And plenty of shopping too, although it's mostly mid to low end shopping (Ross, Walmart, etc.). You'd need to drive a bit to get to a better mall area. Or if the water taxi is running it can take you over to Belmont Shores which is very nice for shopping and dining. Of course a regular taxi or Uber works too if you don't want to drive. There are plenty of cultural sites to see if you google around.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Breakfast is pretty reasonably priced (when I went earlier this year I was status-less). There's a new hipsterish coffee shop serving food that opened up recently just a block away: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cuppa-cuppa-long-beach

The exec suites are nothing to write home about. They are just trad rooms with a couch in the same room. Yes, the best views are on high floors facing south/west. Best room in the hotel imo is 1620, a two-level suite on the top floor.

There is okay shopping at The Pike outlet mall nearby, which is closer to the water than the Ross/Walmart center (and that Walmart has closed anyhow).

Belmont Shore is a good day trip for your wife. But if you already live in SoCal you two may not be impressed by beach towns.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ralphs
Breakfast is pretty reasonably priced (when I went earlier this year I was status-less). There's a new hipsterish coffee shop serving food that opened up recently just a block away: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cuppa-cuppa-long-beach
Stayed here recently for 3 nights. Booked a suite, was told upgraded to a executive suite which is room at the end of the hall way overlook office building. I am no longer a platinum so not really expect much. The so-called suite is just one big room with a sitting area. Room is in ok condition.

Did not eat at the hotel. Tried breakfast one day at Cuppa Cuppa. Not impressed by their breakfast, super expensive for just ok food. But they do have great coffee.

There are protest every afternoon with loud speaker, very annoying. Traffic noise can be heard at top floor, guess it comes with the convenient location.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I think Cuppa has been disappointing. Expensive and not a great product. But it is close by. An alternative is Recreational Coffee. Nightlife has better options, with Beachwood Brewing/Blendery et al. I don't think protests are common in the area--was it during the Presidential inauguration?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Any recent reviews on this property? Looks like it was renovated in 2019 and appears quite nice. Hoping to use a SNA as a platinum and I am wondering what is on offer for the free breakfast as well.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
Any recent reviews on this property? Looks like it was renovated in 2019 and appears quite nice. Hoping to use a SNA as a platinum and I am wondering what is on offer for the free breakfast as well.
I think it may be 30 years since the hotel was actually renovated. But it does get refreshed every 5 years or so. The bar area was redone 5 years ago. The rooms seem to have been refreshed a bit more recently, but this is my first stay since the pandemic. Last year I stayed at the Renaissance and the year before at the Sheraton Cerritos. I'm happier here at the Westin.

Breakfast is very nice. Better than most US Bonvoy hotels. Elites get free breakfast for two and the menu is good. Typical American fare, plus they have a good huevos rancheros plate. All off the menu. No buffet here.

Although I haven't been recently, I've stayed here off and on for over 25 years now. Without asking I got my usual suite upgrade at the end of the hall.

Self parking is now $35 per night.

The pool and jacuzzi are going strong and the gym has all new equipment.

LOTS of air crew stay here now. This hotel always had BA and one or two other airlines. Now they also have Iberia, Level and several others. All day and night there are air crews coming and going.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Anyone have any recent experiences at the Westin?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.