Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton La Colonia Uruguay [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton La Colonia Uruguay [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:19 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Sheraton Colonia is a beautiful, restful place that provides a stark contrast to Buenos Aires. I thought of the property as birdland while walking the golf course paths listening to all the bird songs.

There is a wonderful indoor pool in the spa area. The outdoor pools were drained last June when I was there.

The property was incredibly quiet during my stay. I thought the property was wonderfully romantic. I enjoyed laying in bed at night watching the navaigation lights blinking on the river.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kyushuman
What do you think about 2 nights there in mid-July? I was thinking about a romantic, 2-day escape from BsAs, to visit Colonia. Actually we'd be there from Sunday to Tuesday. Or should we go elsewhere in Argentina? We only have a couple days, so want it to be easy, pleasant, and romantic.
Thanks in advance!
If you want relaxed and romantic, you can't go wrong with the Sheraton La Colonia. The pace of life there is definitely slower than hectic BsAs. It could be a bit cold there that time of year (it was in the mid 70's when I visited in February, which was supposed to be Summer!). That might limit lounging by their lovely pool/hot-tub area and strolling by the River. Then again, you could always while away the hours in their small, but excellently appointed Spa. I wouldn't think twice about spending a few days at that Sheraton again. However, if you're looking for lots of excitement/nightlife, Colonia isn't the place to be. If sedate and luxurious is what you are after, choose the Sheraton.

Also, here's a link to photos I took during my stay in Colonia.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
My s/o and I squeezed in a one-night stay here in between the Conrad Punta del Este and the Hilton Buenos Aires. We took the bus from Punta to Montevideo and then connected to another bus to Colonia. 5 hours of bus riding in one day was not the best day of vacation I've ever had, but it was all good in the end.

The hotel is roughly 3 miles from the downtown area; we took a cab there and the ride was probably $5. The hotel is set next to a golf course and, based on the signs, what will in the future be a large development of houses. The signs (and diorama in the lobby) portrayed the development as having about 200-300 houses when complete, but we only saw about 10 and did not see any construction at all going on -- so perhaps someone has given up on building all those houses for now. The area where the hotel is located is very quiet and peaceful.

At check-in, we were given a minor upgrade from a golf-view room to a river-view room. The view out to the river was nice, and the room was also quite nice and very comfortable - much nicer than the domestic Sheratons that I have been in. There is no lounge, and no offer of complimentary breakfast was made. There was also no mention of a platinum amenity (I forgot to ask), but about four hours after we checked in a very large plate of cheese and bread showed up in the room, along with a bottle of (IIRC) Champagne. The hotel has a full-service restaurant and a bar, though the listed prices at each were high for the area. The lobby was bright and airy and had sort of a lodge-like feel:

The property had a pool complex outside with an outdoor bar, a number of seating areas, and a couple of pools - all of which had views out to the water. The hotel had a very relaxing feel, and I think it'd be a great stopover for someone who wanted to just chill out for a while. There was also a spa, but we did not investigate that.

In the morning, we walked into downtown Colonia - this took about an hour. There were generally taxis available outside the hotel, and electric golf carts could also be rented for the ride into town - I think the price was $15/hr. We spent some time going around the downtown, ate, and explored the historic area. It was a nice place to check out, and I think that one day is about the right amount of time for Colonia -- but like I said, I think that more time could be spent at this hotel by someone who was looking for a nice, relaxing stay.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP , 1M; Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Sheraton colonia

At Sheraton Colonia now. Spent 3 nights at Sheraton Pilar for work - back there next week so wanted to move to Park Tower who were full tonite so decided a one night trip here would solve the problem before PT tomorrow

Lovely river view upgrade at check in (gold). Wanted a sunset swim and very good about getting me a towel to do so

Ate in lobby lounge - great Chivito local sandwich with Glass of tanner, cab and bottle of water for US 38

Didn't see any review of golf course but noticed on model an island green (like 17 at Sawgrass on the model) so will likely rent clubs and play tomorrow

Overall, a nice feel about the place - one you'd think about bringing your wife and kids to.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP , 1M; Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Colonia Golf

Played the golf course.

Math first. Green fees were 40 and I paid 30 to rent clubs and a pull cart. The had a few golf carts but I wanted to walk (tho in 32 degree weather that got a bit tough). I thought that was fair enough. On the extras, Callaway 3 packs were 15 and pro vi were 25 so I bought 2 callaway packs. A glove was 25 tho it was marked 19 so was a bit bothered by that.

Met a great Argentine to play with. Course is good, especially as it's fairly new. Some lovely views. Some very tight drives with rushes to lose your ball in. I would have run out but a groundsman offered us as many used balls as we wanted at a dollar a ball.

Overall happy with the course. We had it to ourselves, tho I expect members play early and late and we were the only fools braving midday heat.

A 2 hour walk around Colonia and ferry back to BA made it a great 24 hour trip to Uruguay
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Just finishing a lovely stay here. GREAT SPG recognition and service. Very relaxing and peaceful property with terrific views. Will definitely return.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Just checked in here.

With help from SPG social media team (thanks!), was able to apply suite night awards, however, upgrade was to a junior suite, not a "real" suite. View is very nice. Room seems fine, and has a jacuzzi, just isn't a suite (which is also still available, for payment). Not complaining about this.

However: Was told that as a Plat on C+P rate, I would have to choose EITHER points OR breakfast OR complimentary spa access. If I were to choose points, I would have to pay for breakfast and spa access. If I were to either choose breakfast or spa access, I would have to pay for the other.

Haven't had that in any other SPG hotel.

Is this correct?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Update: Ended up not getting charged for spa access. Chose breakfast, so no points, but as I learned after re-reading the benefits, this is correct. Property is a bit older, but we enjoyed it for a nice break from Buenos Aires. There is a beach, but I wouldn't want to swim in the Rio de la Plata. The pool area is spacious and nice. Service is ok.

While we were there, there was a HUGE thunderstorm. We were having dinner in the restaurant and we thought the windows were going to be blown out, so sort of hastily left the room. 4 windows in guest rooms were actually blown out. In the room next to ours, they had left the window open, and the wind was so strong that one could not open the room door. There was stuff flying all around. Everyone had to leave their rooms. One car got smashed by part of the carport coming down.

The staff did a good job trying to handle the situation. I found people to be quite friendly and nice.
Old May 26, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Just had a visit here in off season for a night. Meter taxi from the Buquebus terminal was about $13USD (300 pesos) for about a 8 minute ride. As it was off season, the hotel had to call for taxis for pickup as none were waiting out front - about a 10 minute wait.

I was upgraded to a junior suite with a balcony with a nice view of the river. Rooms are not amazing by any standard but clean and in good shape - better than a US Sheraton. Everyone working in the hotel was very friendly and English was not an issue.

Received a choice of points or breakfast for the amenity, chose breakfast. The buffet is nothing spectacular, but again, above the average US Sheraton.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
Just wrapped up a two night stay at this property as a nice detour from our Buenos Aires vacation. Came in via the Buquebus ferry. I reached out to the hotel and they offered a free transfer to and from the Ferry Port for us. I'm Titanium but assuming they do this for everyone that asks. At check in we were upgraded to a two room suite with living room, office and two bathrooms. Breakfast was a welcome gift option, which we opted for. They offer daily buffet breakfast in their main restaurant until 10:30am. The buffet was just average. Not bad nor good. This is a Golf resort, so there is a resort fee of $22 per night but as Plat/Titanium, this was reduced to $15 per night. They also offered me coupons for a couple of non-alcoholic drinks, a free appetizer and two glasses of wine to use later at their lobby bar. They have several outdoor pools, which were all freezing. A really huge hot tub, which is nice... and a big indoor pool that is pleasantly warm. The gym was also pretty big and had all new equipment that you would see at a local 24 Hour Fitness. This hotel is about 4 miles away from the main downtown area. Taxi's to the city are $10 USD. From the city back, there are many taxi stands and it cost us between $7 to $10 to get back to the hotel. I don't know why... but all restaurants and cafes offer a 22% discount for paying your meal with a Credit Card, as opposed to cash. On the cash side, they accept US dollar, and Argentinean and Uruguayan pesos. Last but not least, i received a very nice letter and gift from the Sheraton GM, thanking me for my Titanium status and loyalty and gave me a really nice Yerba Mate Gourd set/cup, which was being sold at their gift shop for $50 USD. All in all, a very nice hotel and stay. The hotel itself is slightly dated but nothing to really complain about and Colonia Del Sacramento is really a beautiful city and well worth a visit.
unclepants likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
Just wrapped up a two night stay at this property as a nice detour from our Buenos Aires vacation. Came in via the Buquebus ferry. I reached out to the hotel and they offered a free transfer to and from the Ferry Port for us. I'm Titanium but assuming they do this for everyone that asks. At check in we were upgraded to a two room suite with living room, office and two bathrooms. Breakfast was a welcome gift option, which we opted for. They offer daily buffet breakfast in their main restaurant until 10:30am. The buffet was just average. Not bad nor good. This is a Golf resort, so there is a resort fee of $22 per night but as Plat/Titanium, this was reduced to $15 per night. They also offered me coupons for a couple of non-alcoholic drinks, a free appetizer and two glasses of wine to use later at their lobby bar. They have several outdoor pools, which were all freezing. A really huge hot tub, which is nice... and a big indoor pool that is pleasantly warm. The gym was also pretty big and had all new equipment that you would see at a local 24 Hour Fitness. This hotel is about 4 miles away from the main downtown area. Taxi's to the city are $10 USD. From the city back, there are many taxi stands and it cost us between $7 to $10 to get back to the hotel. I don't know why... but all restaurants and cafes offer a 22% discount for paying your meal with a Credit Card, as opposed to cash. On the cash side, they accept US dollar, and Argentinean and Uruguayan pesos. Last but not least, i received a very nice letter and gift from the Sheraton GM, thanking me for my Titanium status and loyalty and gave me a really nice Yerba Mate Gourd set/cup, which was being sold at their gift shop for $50 USD. All in all, a very nice hotel and stay. The hotel itself is slightly dated but nothing to really complain about and Colonia Del Sacramento is really a beautiful city and well worth a visit.
This is very helpful information, as I stay there later this week. For ferry pickup, did you contact the hotel through the app, or did you reach out by email or phone in advance?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, BA Gold, A3 Gold
Any recent stays here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.