Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:39 pm

Well I was stuck there one evening too. Nothing special, and a pretty ugly place, but it's next to the airport and there are beds...
Old Jan 31, 2006, 9:42 am

I've stayed there a few times. It's decent, but the best selling point is the location. Most recently, as a Plat I was upgraded to a corner room on the Club Floor on New Year's Eve.

As mentioned, the Club Lounge is closed on weekends and nothing done to make up for it.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
They've done a really nice reservation on the club floor. I like staying at this property if I can get an alright rate. Breakfast in the Club Lounge offers omelettes and not-so-bad selection of fruits and pastries.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
I've stayed there 3 or 4 times in the past year.
Plusses: convenient location, decent pool/fitness centre open 24 hrs (really large spa - great after a long flight), no outside noise from airport, reasonable rates during the weekend
Minuses: stuffy rooms sometimes (windows don't open), club lounge not open during the weekend, restaurant overpriced with mediocre breakfast buffet, high rates during the week

Service varies from indifferent to occasionally outstanding. The food service manager responded attentively to a comment I made on a customer service survery regarding the buffet.

Oh, and beware of the minibars. They are on a sensor system - if you don't close the door gently, the bottles jiggle and you may get charged for something you didn't use.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 5:32 pm

Not really sure how helpful this is since it doesn't show that much of the room, but the photo on spg.com is pretty fair.

Yellow wallpaper, brown leather chair, dark brown wood desk, brass-looking accents on desklamp, black iron light fixtures (other than on desk), light brown carpet, dark brown wood bedframe. Bathroom on my most recent stay was ugraded (I booked and received a deluxe room) and had nice marble finishes, but 2 most recent stays have had Westin-esque curved shower rods.

On the whole, the rooms are decent. They're nothing spectacular but they're probably a bit better than average, IMO. My employer has excellent rates at the hotel, but I've paid standard rates out of pocket and found the value to be reasonable. Parking is killer though if you plan on doing so - GTAA's rates are just as bad as downtown Toronto, if not worse.

As mentioned, the minibar is very sensitive (not sure how many drinks I paid for but didn't actually consume - they left the taxes off my bill though, so I ended up ahead )
Old Feb 2, 2006, 10:40 pm

I stayed one night there about a year ago. It was OK, but stuffy as someone mentioned, and also the lobby was a madhouse and check-in was not good, no upgrade to suite for this plat. But I was just sleeping, no time for meals or pool or anything. Not bad, but overpriced for what it is IMHO.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:27 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Canada Flyer
Thank-you for all of your help.

In what year was this place renovated?
According to our records, 1997. To what extent, I don't have a clue.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Canada Flyer
Thank-you for all of your help.

In what year was this place renovated?
Glad to be of some assistance.

Lurker says 1997 and while that may very well be true, I have found the rooms to be in good condition. Nothing really looking like it needed tending to. I've only had Club Floor rooms though, so I'm not sure if this is the same throughout the floors.

There was some work being done on one of the floors last time I was there, so I would venture a guess that they might be sticking to a program of smaller projects rather than major overhauls.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:36 am

I was just at the hotel and learned that they completed a total guestroom renovation in 2005. The rooms are awesome! Especially for an airport property. And, can't beat the location.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 9:27 am
Suspended

Terminal 2

Is there a shuttle service to Terminal 2 (UA), or is it within walking distance ?

Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Is there a shuttle service to Terminal 2 (UA), or is it within walking distance ?
Its less than 5 minutes walk to the Airport's shuttle bus to Terminal 2. That's probably the best way to get there. There's also a new tram linking Terminal 3 to Terminal 1.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I stayed at this property this past February and consider it one of the nicest airport hotels I've stayed in. The rooms were. as another poster mentioned, recently renovated, beds and baths comfortable and room service was great. Rooms were also very quiet.

Overall, my exopectations of airport hotels are not that high, but this was much better than most and also much better than the 2 other airport area hotels I've stayed at in Toronto (Wyndham and 4 Points). If I needed an airport hotel again in Toronto, it would be my #1 choice.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Reason077
Its less than 5 minutes walk to the Airport's shuttle bus to Terminal 2.
Does it mean the hotel does not have its own shuttle, and one has to take a 5min walk to Terminal 3 to take the airport shuttle to Terminal 2 ? Would it then be more convenient to stay at the 4P which which I assume would provide a shuttle from hotel to Terminal 2 ?

Another question I have is whether I would have to go through US immigration/customs at YYZ prior to boarding my YYZ-SFO flight, or do I clear US immigration/customs at SFO ? If its at YYZ, is there usually a long line (I am not American/Canadian) and how long before my flight do I have to check-in ?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 7:31 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
You do have to pre-clear US immigration in Toronto before boarding a US bound flight, I dont recall the specifics of it, but when we took a 4pm flight a few weeks ago it only took about 5 minutes to get through this process.

The Sheraton is pretty nice for airport Sheratons. We found a CAN$100 rate with triple star points, and we were upgraded to a decent suite with a nice view of the airport action, so overall this was a great deal. The rooms have been remodeled at some time in the recent past, I would say it probably is up somewhere in the top 25% of US Sheratons. We hit the bar and had some drinks and snacks, wow it was pricey, we spent as much on our drinks and dinner as on the room! We were using NW (terminal 3) and AZ (terminal 1) so we took the tram between terminals and I dont have any information on the hotel shuttle.

Another question I have is whether I would have to go through US immigration/customs at YYZ prior to boarding my YYZ-SFO flight, or do I clear US immigration/customs at SFO ? If its at YYZ, is there usually a long line (I am not American/Canadian) and how long before my flight do I have to check-in ?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Does it mean the hotel does not have its own shuttle, and one has to take a 5min walk to Terminal 3 to take the airport shuttle to Terminal 2 ? Would it then be more convenient to stay at the 4P which which I assume would provide a shuttle from hotel to Terminal 2 ?
Thanks.
My recollection is that you do not have to take a shuttle at all for this property because it is on the airport premises. Then again, I could be confusing it with another city, another airport....

I would not recommend the 4 Points here. Although it had been newly renovated, the rooms and bathrooms were tiny, room service options very limited (and nothing within walking distance) and the bed was uncomfortable.

Last edited by pbjag; Oct 3, 2006 at 7:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.