Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2002, 6:49 am
T3

Good review. I also really like the hotel and my only significant complaint is that they've closed the Mahogany Grill, a nice upscale dining room, leaving only the Swiss Cafe as a place to eat. I end up going out of the hotel for dinner.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 11:37 am
Suspended

I have always got the Club floor there, and have also recieved suites. Ammentity should have been taken care @ checkin, if not email Starwood and ask for your 500 ammenity points.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
As a Platinum, I've always gotten an automatic upgrade to the Club Level and the amenity card upon check-in. Never gotten a suite. Everytime I've asked for a suite, I've always gotten the BS runaround (usually typical of Westins in the US) "we have none available". I never made an issue about it because they always let me check in early (9:30/10:00am).
Old Jan 16, 2004, 11:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Nice lounge.

Evening snacks and morning breakfast.

Not sure of hours.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 11:35 am
Suspended

Agreed. nice lounge, limited hours, paid drinks, food ok.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:24 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
However, no computers. Limited business services in the lounge.

Also contruction going on with new walkway into Terminal 3.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:42 pm

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport [Master Thread]

Here is a copy of an email I sent to Starwood regarding a recent stay at this property - It seemed to me that the staff - although pleasent, were unable to get things together to fix problems or make them right.

I recently stayed at the Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport (July 1 - July 3) - I thought I would take a moment to contact you regarding my stay.

I checked in to this hotel after a flight from Sydney, Australia via Hong Kong, I had been on board a plane for almost 33 hours - I had elected to stay at the Airport Sheraton for the first two nights of my stay, as I expected it would be quieter than the downtown location, and would be better suited to the hours that i expected I would be keeping following this initial long leg of my journey.

I reserved a room online at starwood.com, taking advantage of the 20% off offer that was being run for that period (my reservation details are as follows)

RESERVATION CONFIRMATION: XXXXXXXX

1 KING CLUB FLOOR NON-SMOKING, SWEET SLEEPER BED, CONTINENTAL BRKFST, FREE LOCAL/CC ACCESS/800 CALLS, HIGHSPEED INTERNET FOR A FEE, AMENITIES ARE INCORPORATED IN OUR COMFORTABLE AND UNCLUTTERED 400SQFT ROOMS DESIGNED FOR THE NEEDS OF BUSINESS TRAVELERS

On checking in I was assigned a room on a low floor - not really thinking about it until I got to the room, I then realised that the room I had been assigned was not a club floor room, but rather a room on a standard floor - I then attempted to call the Sheraton Promise line from the phone in the room - no one answered.

While I understand that the hotel was undergoing renovation - it would seem a fairly basic proposition that you should not sell a room that is not avaliable.

I went down to reception to ask to be moved to the room I had reserved, but was told that there were no King Rooms avaliable, but that they would give me access to the club lounge - not particularly happy but in need of sleep, I returned to my room. The next morning I was awoken by the sound of a large group of children in the corridor, walking out of my room and heading towards the elevator bank i discovered that the area between my room and the elevators was filled with a group of children (probably between 30 and 50), together with adult group leaders - they (together with their luggage) were congregated in this area, seemingly awaiting transport - while I think this is perfectly fine had it been in the hotel lobby, using the area on floors where people were trying to sleep seemed a bit much.

That night, still unable to sleep properly (in part i think because of being awoken the previous morning), I went for a walk around the terminal area of the airport ajacent to the hotel - imagine my surprise to find people sleeping on couches and on the floor on the lower level (the meetings and functions area) of the hotel.

When I checked out I raised the issues above again, and was essentially told that these were not valid concerns - the Sheraton Promise was never mentioned by any of the staff i discussed these matters with. I also noted that in the hallway outside my room, the same room service tray had been sitting outside a room for the entirity of my stay.

Later, when checking my SPG balance, I discovered that I had been awarded only 382 starpoints, for a stay where $415.56 (Canadian Dollars) had been spent in the hotel - so not only did I endure a stay in a hotel that failed to put me in the room I reserved and paid for, where I was woken up be yelling children camped out in the hallways, and then discovered that the downstairs part of the hotel seemed to double as a doss house for travellers without rooms - I was not even given the appropriate number of points for the stay.

I have previously contacted the hotel re the incorrect points awarded to my SPG account, but their promise to resolve this issue has not been followed through with.
AN-Diamond
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:20 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Angry Toronto Gateway Cancelled my reservation!

Have a 8 hour stopover at YYZ coming up (because the airline cancelled my original connection). Booked a Day Rate (for use 9-5 only) room at the Sheraton Toronto Gateway so the we can take a break from the airport. Kids can swim a bit, maybe, and I can nap Well, checking on SPG.COM the other day, and the reservation had been mysteriously cancelled! So I called SPG, and the csr couldn't tell me why, but she reinstated the reservation and even made a notation that the hotel should not just cancel the reservation. Okay, glitches happen, right? No big deal.
Two days later, as in this morning, I checked SPG again, and the reservation was once again cancelled! It even had the SAME cancellation number as last time! So I called SPG again, and this time the csr said the hotel cancelled the reservation, but no explanation was provided. She reinstated the reservation again, but on second thought, I asked her to just cancel it. After all, if Sheraton doesn't want my business, I shouldn't force it on them.
So here's my beef. No matter the reason that they cancelled the reservation (which I booked on spg.com, all proper and stuff), you'd think they would (1) inform me that they have cancelled it (I never receive any notification); and (2) tell me why?
I mean, what if I didn't know, and just showed up at the hotel only to find the reservation cancelled? This is so decidedly NOT cool

I emailed the hotel, as well spg. I'm not expecting anything, but I want someone in a responsible position to know. Maybe then it won't happen to someone else. If and when I hear from them, I'll provide an update.

Has this happened to others?
Old Nov 16, 2005, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by choptliva
I emailed the hotel, as well spg. I'm not expecting anything, but I want someone in a responsible position to know.
I would definitely expect something to make up for that.

Maybe you should have called directly the hotel rather than SPG... after all, the hotel is the one who mysteriously canceled your reservation.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by lemex
Maybe you should have called directly the hotel rather than SPG... after all, the hotel is the one who mysteriously canceled your reservation.
Yeah, the first time I didn't know it was the hotel. And it was only the second time that the csr told me it was the hotel that cancelled it. I have emailed the hotel now. We'll see what happens.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
actually if i was the op, i wouldnt had cancel the reservation.

to my best knowledge, so long as you had written proof of your original confirmation, the hotel is obliged to honor the reservation or the first night is free accoridng to industry standards.

Even though the balance of power has shifted slightly in favour of accomodation providers, any hotel is still obliged to honor your reservation so long as its placed with a credit card number on file and you ahve written confirmation.

cheers

the best the op can do is to provide feedback to corporate customer service and hopefully they do monitor such situations.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 10:41 am

Hotels should definitely not be canceling reservations without notification. The only valid reason would be if they are overbooked but if so, they should offer compensation.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 3:36 pm

Resolved

Well, heard back from hotel management. Reservation was cancelled due to a computer glitch. Day rates mean a stay of zero night, but the central system doesn't deal with that very well. Something like that. Anyway, apology was offered, as was an offer for $25 food and beverage voucher. I have accepted with thanks.
Thanks for your various input.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:20 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Gateway in Toronto in October 2005 and found it to be very nice. I had an early flight and as this hotel was in the Airport it was very convenient.
As a SPG Platinium, I was upgraded to a room on the club level. It was clean and nicely decorated. The decor was similar to other Sheratons with dark colors and dark wood. The lounge had free wireless and a nice selection of substantial appetizer and desserts. The service throughout the hotel was very nice and friendly.
I would recommend this hotel and stay there again if traveling in/out of Toronto.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:09 am

It's right across from Terminal 3, so it's conveniently located. But do NOT call and wait for their shuttle bus. I waited an hour and it never came. Instead, if you come in at the other terminals, take the airport's shuttle bus (the LINK bus, I think that's the name) which comes VERY frequently, go to T3, and just cross the street (there's a skybridge) and go to the hotel.

But unless you're just using the hotel for R&R while waiting for a connection or something, or have business in the area, it's just as easy to go downtown and be closer to where things are...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.