Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Toronto Airport YYZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2024, 12:08 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by syalam
Wife and I have a connection coming up

PHL-YYZ (arriving 1100) - Economy

YYZ-AMS (departure 2055) - Business

Don't really want to spend 9 hours in a lounge, and would appreciate the chance to take a shower, get some work done, and maybe take a nap. Does this hotel offer day rates? Otherwise, I might be inclined to burn a certificate.
It seems to depend on the day and often it seems like the day rates aren't any better than the Corp discount rates...you seem to need to call the front desk day-of and it seems like a total YMMV experience based on what I've dealt with in the past.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
For late arrivals/early departures into Pearson, what are the factors folks might use to determine whether it's worth spending extra at the Sheraton Gateway vs. Alt (about +$75 CAD for the Sheraton the nights I'm looking at) vs. other shuttle hotels?

Last time, we used Alt with a late night arrival, and found the rooms fairly nice and modern (though a slight snafu at checkin, owning to the fact AC flight was delayed 5 hours so arrived at 4am vs. 11pm). I'm gold at Marriott, if that makes a difference, though honestly, since the re-aligining of levels a few years ago, gold benefits are minimal...room upgrades are probably the most beneficial, but that, to me, is nice, but not a necessity for most trips (typically, I go to Hilton now, where restaurant credit/breakfast is more compelling as a gold there).

For this trip, I'm with wife and kids, so I think despite the expense of the Sheraton/Alt, probably more worth it (alone, I have in the past done Four Points, as I travel light and don't mind the walk to T3 which is relatively easy and doesn't leave me relying on the shuttle schedule). We have a late night arrival on Porter, ie, T3, so wondering if the lack of train makes the extra expense of the Sheraton worth it - indoor walk and not having to get on the train at 11:00p+ with the kids. Conversely, leaving out on UA at 7:00 (a few days later), wondering if the Alt makes more sense, as we need to get on train anyway, just with a minute or two outdoors (but it'll be April, so not too worried about temp. outside). I figure once we have to get on the train anyway, that effort is mostly the same whether we are on for one stop or two.

The rooms seem a relatively good size (listed at 400 sq. ft.), though pricey, obviously for the convenience. How is the breakfast in the restaurant - is that worth the $40-50 extra? On that note, would there be a decent chance of an upgrade for a gold (on a Thurs. night if that makes a difference) to club room, as if that might happen, might skip the breakfast rate and just go with AAA.

Appreciate any insight.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:32 am

Does anyone know if we get a free breakfast at the Sheraton Gateway Pearson Airport hotel, with Platinum status (if that does much anymore)? Curious, cuz I just got the Bonvoy Brilliant and wondering if that courtesy extends to new Platinum members or a higher tier.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by atxflyer88
Does anyone know if we get a free breakfast at the Sheraton Gateway Pearson Airport hotel, with Platinum status (if that does much anymore)? Curious, cuz I just got the Bonvoy Brilliant and wondering if that courtesy extends to new Platinum members or a higher tier.
At Sheraton properties, you will get access to the Sheraton Club Lounge, if it exists. At properties that participate in the program correctly, regardless of the presence of a lounge or not, restaurant breakfast (sometimes continental - usually full outside of the US) will be a welcome gift choice for Platinum members and above.

Edit to add: Sometimes, in Asia, restaurant breakfast will be given regardless of welcome gift choice - even if a club is present. This isn’t a documented benefit but just part of the regional hospitality.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
At Sheraton properties, you will get access to the Sheraton Club Lounge, if it exists. At properties that participate in the program correctly, regardless of the presence of a lounge or not, restaurant breakfast (sometimes continental - usually full outside of the US) will be a welcome gift choice for Platinum members and above.
Excellent, thank you! I was using my Chase UR points initially to reserve a room+breakfast one-nighter at this inside-airport hotel, and now I think I'll cancel that and instead book a new reservation and pay with my new Brilliant card for the room (+ lounge access/snacks/breakfast) to jump on that bonus 1000 points+elite night promotion (ending 4/15/2024).
Old Apr 13, 2024, 2:33 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Excellent, thank you! I was using my Chase UR points initially to reserve a room+breakfast one-nighter at this inside-airport hotel, and now I think I'll cancel that and instead book a new reservation and pay with my new Brilliant card for the room (+ lounge access/snacks/breakfast) to jump on that bonus 1000 points+elite night promotion (ending 4/15/2024).
As long as you book with your Platinum status account, you don't have to pay with the Brilliant card for the stay to get the Platinum benefits.
Old Apr 13, 2024, 5:32 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
In the lounge.
Old Yesterday, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
In the lounge.
At Sheraton properties (and most former-SPG brands), breakfast in the restaurant is supposed to be available as a welcome benefit for Platinum regardless of the existence of a lounge. Specifically:
1,000 Points per Stay or amenity per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1 (including Resorts)
Sheraton and the other relevant former-SPG brands are also excluded from the benefit that you get breakfast in the restaurant when lounge is closed, because breakfast in restaurant is available as the welcome gift choice.
Old Yesterday, 9:52 pm

I stayed there last week for a super late arrival into YYZ. It's connected via a bridge to T3 and a short tram ride from T1 so it'll save you at least half an hour waiting for the shuttle and taking it out of the airport. The club lounge breakfast is nothing special, only hot items were eggs, sausage, and bacon along with some cold cuts, bread, and jams. I think there were yogurt and some fresh fruits as well but its more comparable to a free Fairfield or Residence Inn breakfast than some other Sheraton buffets I've had. I didn't arrive early enough for the happy hour but the people in the lounge seem happy with the wine and beer offerings.

Whether its worth the extra $75 vs. the Element or others outside the airport depends whether you value being just slightly closer to the airport terminal.
Old Today, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I stayed there a year ago (as a Lifetime Plat). I asked about breakfast options, and they looked at me like I was an idiot, and just told me to go to the lounge. The lounge breakfast was fine and they also had nibbles in the evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.