Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We have a reservation for next weekend that now shows as "Club Non Smoking, Newly Refurbished, Free Access To Spa Facilities, Club Lounge - Comp Conti Bfast".
Having a Club Floor would be great. Appears the renovations were the right step. ^
Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Thumbs up

I'm at the Sheraton now and got myself a renovated room - wow, wow and wow again! An amazing change from the tired old tartan heavy rooms of old - light, modern, stylish, superlative overload! Think dark wood flooring and glass sliding doors into the bathroom that has a double aspect into the room. Mood lighting just like in a Tokyo hotel, large LCD with connections on the wall so you can plug in your laptop, video camera, ipod, hdmi connector etc (brilliant idea so often overlooked by hotels - means you can play those films on your laptop on the large screen) (remember to bring your own connectors though as none in the room).

Nice touches such as EU and US power sockets at desk level....

Always liked this place for location and service but now the rooms are really up there with the best so well done JP Kavanagh!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:27 pm

Will this property be able to accommodate 2 adults and a 9 year old in a same room? I was told by SPG agent that only max 2 adults per room including suites
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Will this property be able to accommodate 2 adults and a 9 year old in a same room? I was told by SPG agent that only max 2 adults per room including suites

Try booking a paid rate for 3 people.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 4:55 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dmdflyer
Try booking a paid rate for 3 people.
The website does not offer '3' as an option in the "Adults per room" field, maximum is 2. All the rate plans on offer for 2 adults seem to be firmly worded too, with :

Extra rollaway: Not available
Child rollaway: Not available
Crib: Not available

FWIW, although I've stayed here a number times, this is one of the few spg properties I have not been able to have them accommodate 2 + 1 child in the same room.

There's no harm though in dropping an e-mail to the property asking if they can offer anything.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The website does not offer '3' as an option in the "Adults per room" field, maximum is 2.
That is what I have experienced. I guess will have to go with plan B. Hilton here I come.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ant_west
I'm at the Sheraton now and got myself a renovated room - wow, wow and wow again!
Have to agree here. I was given a classic suite for my stay on the weekend. The makeover at this hotel is amazing. They have still kept some of the Scot influence with grey tartan wall paper and the suite had a montage of pictures on the wall with a EDI focus.

The TVs now have streaming internet radio channels to choose from. You can even select some from other countries, e.g. ABC radio from Aus.

The bathroom had funcky LED mood lighting which you could select which colour mood you wanted to be in.

The lounge has moved and is quite large with a pod system coffee machine and very nice white chocolate macadamia nut cookies to partake in. It continues the grey, red and white theme that the whole property makeover seems to have undergone.

The foyer seems to be the only area untouched by the renos.

Very impressed with the staff who were friendly and efficient.

Water pressure in the rooms is still an issue though and it took ages for the shower to produce any hot water.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Might have to come back to EDI soon to check it out. I already liked the hotel pre-renovation

Do you have any photos?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:32 am

Hi All,

I will be staying at the hotel in less then two weeks with my wife, and I was wondering if anyone knew or knows how to get the GM JP Kavanagh email address, I would like to ask if its possible to do something special for my wife(willing to pay for it) as its our anniversary

thank you,
Lenny
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by lenny851
Hi All,

I will be staying at the hotel in less then two weeks with my wife, and I was wondering if anyone knew or knows how to get the GM JP Kavanagh email address, I would like to ask if its possible to do something special for my wife(willing to pay for it) as its our anniversary
PM on the way.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC
PM on the way.
thank you
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Be warned that there is construction going on in front of the hotel (Festival Square) and you can't use the doors there. It makes for an awfully long walk to Lothian road.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Impressed with renovation and suite

My hubby and I stayed here 3 years ago on a side-trip from London. I arrived here yesterday, quite sick from a sinus infection, knowing that it was 8am and I would have a long wait for a room. I had requested a suite UG as always in my notes but when I checked in, I just wanted a bed and a bath.

Immediately at check-in I was informed I'd been upgraded to a suite, but it wasn't yet ready. At 8am, I didn't expect it to be. I was SO sick that I requested a change to a regular room, IF they had one available. Not only was I given a room, but I was told that the suite remained mine and I could switch over in the morning. Such nice people!

Having been here before the renovations, I was quite impressed with the new lighter color scheme, the tv, the light switches (yep, even those!) but especially the bathroom. It wasn't the sort of room I'd want to share with anyone as the doors to the bathroom are made of glass/lucite? and there's not much privacy, but for a single person it is very nice. I quickly ran a bath and was sad to see no Molten Brown products (my favorite) but happy to see the colored lights above the bath. I took a long soak in a good-sized tub (shower is separate) with a light blue light bathing the tub below. I had so much fun with that light switch, LOL- changing colors, dimming, putting on the night-light (finally someone figures out that we need night-lights!) that I almost forgot to go to sleep.

The room was small, on the club floor, and had only a bed and a tiny table/chair combo. As I have a back problem, it wouldn't have been a great room for me for the week. After my long sleep I had to lay on the bed to watch tv or read or work, which is horribly bad for the back. But other than the size of the room and lack of a good comfortable chair or sofa, I had no problems. I was there to sleep, that's it, so it worked well. Also, after 4 nights in NYC prior to my stay here, it was blessedly quiet! And the AC works! Not just works, it allows me to set the AC as low as I want w/o hotel interference. I prefer an icy cold room and I got one!

Today I moved into the suite, and didn't want to leave. I LOVE the new decor! The photos above the sofa are arranged carefully and with thought. The grey tartan wallpaper match the new sofa and pillows. There is a desk with a blow dryer under a panel and an American outlet so FINALLY an American woman can do her hair and make-up properly! I can't count how many times I have dried my hair standing up across the room from a mirror, and forget trying to curl or straighten it. This desk is a Godsend. And the suite has Molten Brown products! Talk about a Heavenly Experience- try soaking in the lavender shower gel for an hour whilst listening to the tv through the speaker in the bathroom.

Between the bedroom and living room there are pocket doors. These open at the same time so if you open one side, you open the other. There is a similar desk in the bedroom but no American outlet. The bedroom has a King bed with comfy duvet (I can never get over not having a sheet, though. Luckily it's cold enough in here to use the duvet.) There's a grey/brown tartan blanket at the foot of the bed, setting off the white duvet and matching the new wallpaper and brand new carpet. There are flat screens in each room mounted to the walls, and plenty of space for whatever.

The 1st night I received a kind note of welcome from the general manager with a bottle of wine (I don't drink but it IS kind) and a plate of olives. I happen to LOVE olives so I was quite happy.

This is one of the nicest (definitely newest!) suites I've stayed in. The biggest problem seems to be the trek from the bedroom to the bathroom, and honestly, that's not REALLY a problem. I don't know what's going on outside, though, as I tried to go for a walk and got lost, which never happened on my last stay. The construction is confusing, but necessary, from what I hear.

What a kind staff, and such a grand suite. The renovations went very well. I DO miss our old suite just a bit, ONLY the castle view. But that was 3 years ago. THIS is a whole new Sheraton, and definitely changed for the better. I'm QUITE impressed!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat
Major renovation of the first and second floors

Just a quick warning for anyone thinking of staying here; while the renovation of the rooms is complete, there is major renovation work being done on the first and second floors.

My understanding is that before too long, there will be no access via the usual reception (2nd floor festival square entrance is already closed) and the main hotel entrance will be via Santini. The bar is also closing (main restaurant already has) and both have/are being relocated to Santini too.

To be fair to them, the booking page does refer to "special conditions" but I don't think they're that explicit enough about how the inconvenience that will result.

Still a lovely hotel though! Maybe they would like to offer some extra points for the inconvenience....
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cloud-nine
Still a lovely hotel though! Maybe they would like to offer some extra points for the inconvenience....
That would have been nice. But to be fair, I was happy with the renovation on the club floor rooms. I had a nice castle view room that was very spacious. Excellent bathroom too. And the club itself is so, so, so much better than the previous club. The only disappointing thing is the display case with all the very nice single malt whiskey's. It's only a display case. You can't have any.

But the inconvenience is pretty bad if you, like me, had to go out to Lothian road about 8 times on a two night stay. And the hike to the restaurant for breakfast is a bit long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.