Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:05 am

Any recent stays in this hotel? We're going to be in Edinburgh in early January. Hoping for a platinum upgrade.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:49 am
Suspended

Well.... fairly recently

We had two separate stays (two and then three days) here in July booking two rooms each. On both ocasions we got upgarded Club floor rooms ( 6th floor) with nice view of the Castle ( I believe only those facing in that direction are designated as such)

Decent property convenient to all the major sites with courteous and helpful staff but I was not at all impressed with the Club lounge.

The place was too small, jammed packed every morning ( although the property didnt seem particularly full) with people standing around, sitting on the window sills etc. The breakfast offerings were very limited basically a few pastry items, rolls and coffee. The single poor overwhelmed attendant which did amazing job just keeping up with the coffee requests.

mike
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:56 am

Thanks-- do you remember the hours of the lounge in the morning? We're taking an early train.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:08 am

Programs: BA G , SPG Plt
I stayed at Sheraton Grand one night last week, was upgraded to Jr. Suite from classic room. Early check-in and late check-out were made without any problems.
I am not sure but seems to me club lounge open from 7 am till 9 am.
By the way restaurant open from 6.30 am on workdays (from 7 am on weekends).
Old Nov 30, 2008, 3:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Stayed at the hotel last week and one little update from previous stays is that Platinums get access to the Escape at the One Spa at a reduced rate. The normal price for this access is £60 for 3 hours, but hotel guests get access for £20. Apparently Platinums get this for £15, which appears to be a recent change in policy.

As for the lounge, it has limited service hours which are I believe 7-10 am and then 5-7 pm. Outside of those hours you can access the lounge, but there is no food or drink available.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 4:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by RAPC
Apparently Platinums get this for £15, which appears to be a recent change in policy.
I can confirm this is correct, as of my stay (also last week). You can get into the pool for free, but if you want the hydropool and thermal spa you pay the fee.

Although that goes against the usual policy of free access to health facilities, I still think it is a bargain. It has to be remembered that OneSpa, while part of the Sheraton, trades separately as one of Britain's best spas (it won loads of awards when it opened a few years ago). The hydropool with massage jets and the thermal spa are amazing and while ordinary punters pay £60 and have to book a time slot, Sheraton guests paying the fee get access as they please.

In accordance with my unbroken record of getting room upgrades when I least need them I got excellent treatment on my recent stay, upgraded to the Dornoch Suite. Any room ending in 59 is a good bet, as far as I can see, although I would avoid 559 as this is next to the corridor joining the Sheraton to the OneSpa: the door is left open all day, there's a draft and it gets busy.

The interior decor is dowdy but the rooms are comfy and the staff are great.

It was a little unusual (and actually quite a sad experience) for me to stay for the first time in a hotel in a city where I lived for 13 years. One note about the immediate area around the hotel: a soulless business district and a few lamentable nightclubs but there are several good quality, good value Edinburgh restaurants in the nice residential streets a short walk from the hotel. A Room In The West End bistro underneath Teuchter's bar, both great venues in pretty William Street, and Whighams Wine Cellars to name but two. If you really don't want to venutre out, there's an All Bar One chain pub right outside the front door on Festival Square but there is certainly no need whatsoever to eat or drink inside the Sheraton itself and pay high prices in a boring environment.

Incidentally, if you're getting old like me there's a good 80s music night on Fridays at the Citrus Club, in Grindlay Street just across the Lothian Road opposite the hotel. It's full of students and it has had the same grimy black walls and cans of Red Stripe for £2 for the last decade but the music is great and it is a cheap night. It's £5 only after 11pm and, like most such places in Edinburgh, open until 3am.

Last edited by ajamieson; Nov 30, 2008 at 4:19 am
Old Feb 28, 2009, 5:45 am

Sheraton Grand or Balmoral

Hi - I'm heading to Edinburgh with my husband and 6-year-old son in April, after a few days in London. Could use points (or pay) at the Sheraton or stay at the Balmoral. Has anyone stayed at both? What's your recommendation? Thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:53 am

The Balmoral is brighter, more formal, more up-to-date in terms of decor, and has an unbeatable location. It is also expensive (overpriced, arguably). I have not seen the rooms since the Olga Polizzi makeover. It is an icon of Edinburgh, certainly. The OneSpa at the Sheraton is world class, with a fun partially-outdoor hydropool, and as a Platinum or a guest you get access to the pool free or the whole thermal spa for £15 each which is an absolute bargain. Personally the points and OneSpa would just about sway it towards the dreary Sheraton, maybe because I lived in Edinburgh long enough not to be excited by the Balmoral any longer I'd say go for the Balmoral if the price isn't too high. You could always split your stay between the two.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The Balmoral and the Sheraton shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath! They are in completely different leagues. And I wouldn't call the Sheraton spa world-class. UK class maybe.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 1:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sandycoflyer
. . . Could use points (or pay) at the Sheraton or stay at the Balmoral. Has anyone stayed at both? . . .
I have stayed at both. As stimpy points out, there is simply no comparison.

The Sheraton is fine. The Balmoral is extraordinary.

If you want truly center-of-the-city action, refined service, true luxury and magical old-world charm, go with The Balmoral.

If you want . . . a Sheraton -- then go with the Sheraton.

Seriously, if you can swing The Balmoral, it's the way to experience one of the most beautiful and charming cities in Europe.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
experience one of the most beautiful and charming cities in Europe.
Mrs ST and I thorougly enjoyed our first, too short visit to Edinburgh even though we stayed at the Sheraton. We were treated well by the staff, stayed in an adequate small suite, enjoyed an afternoon tea in the lobby lounge, and once we found our way to Princes St. the city just opened up. Nice people, remarkably good restaurants, and buckets of genuine charm (with a little too much touristicism around the castle, but there's plenty else to do). So, even if one stays at the Sheraton Grand the city is easy to enjoy. Have fun!
Old Mar 2, 2009, 9:01 pm

Thank you!

The Balmoral it is! Actually, the prices aren't too bad now, compared to what they have been. We'll stay on points in London to lessen the blow.

I'm assuming the public can't access the Sheraton spa?

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:10 am

The public can indeed access the spa. It is a public spa affiliated to the Sheraton rather than a hotel spa.

It is £65 per person during the day, still a bargain and a nice way of unwinding.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle4773963.ece

There are some kind of health facilities in the Balmoral but from memory these are unexciting and overpriced. The Balmoral's own Palm Court bar and main public bar are stupendously expensive but, with the excellent location, there is no need to be in them. Enjoy your stay
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you have an Amex Plat or Centurion card, book the Balmoral under the FHR program and enjoy upgrades, free breakfast, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL:Lifetime Gold: US:CM:SPG:Lifetime Plat:HHonors:Diamond
Sheraton Edinburgh

Going to visit at the end of March.. is it worth using points to upgrade or take my chances using my plat. Status? Is there internet access and a fee?
Also.. any area restaurant suggestions.. or day trip to Glasgow?
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.