Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Air France, Lufthansa, Continental Air
Really wonderful stay

I really loved this property. Stayed here for two nights in August. Both rooms were upgraded to club floor, castle view.

All employees I encountered were very nice and helpful, especially Katie, in the club lounge. Speaking of the club lounge, it is wonderful! Really great breakfast and evening set up. Nice variety of drinks throughout the day.

The room itself was comfortable, clean, and quiet. I slept great both nights. The converters in the room were a nice touch, as was the tea set with yummy biscuits. The bathrooms were nice; loved the separate WC and the adjustable showerhead in the shower. My little boy loved the lights in the bathroom.

The only negative was that they hairdryer was attached in the desk in the bedroom. This is an annoyance if you're trying to get ready and don't want to wake up someone who is still in bed.

With renovations getting to check in and around the property was a bit of a hassle, but they had employees standing at key spots to make sure you didn't lose your way.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Thumbs down Great room - but awful construction issues

Stayed here 9/28 to 9/30 on business; the hotel is clearly nice and staff are nice. Apparently the rooms are recently refurbished - I found the room fine and had a nice view of Edinburgh Castle.

That said, the amount of construction going on makes things quite annoying:

1. Check-in / Reception - is either in a trailer on ground floor or temporary desk on 5th floor. To get to my room, I had to take an elevator up, walk around a bit to another elevator to 6th floor, walk through the spa area (terribly humid and hot hallway), down a long hallway, and then up another elevator to my floor. This just made getting around quite cumbersome and time consuming - not too mention a few times getting off on the wrong floor here and there;

2. Construction - on 2 of the 3 days, the construction was so loud that it was unbearable to be in my room, in the lounge, or anywhere near the makeshift reception. When I checked out on 9/30 - I couldn't even hear the young lady asking me questions as I was checking out.

I'm sure this hotel will be great when everything is done but right now its a bad choice. The staff said they'd be doing construction until close to year end.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:52 am

Programs: Ambassador, spg plat
Stayed here last weekend. Overall a good experience

- Construction work is still going on (drill heard from 9am)
- The Santini bar is horrible with 0% atmosphere
-Spa is very expensive (80 GBP for a 50 mins massage? Did not try it as a result)
- I booked a king and they gave me a twin... no explanation

+ Staff is going out of their way to help you through the maze which is the hotel and are really super friendly
+ The refurbished rooms are great, with a walled dock for usb and HDMI, EU/US/GBP poweradapters etc.
+ Good breakfast
+ Great view of the castle
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: Free Agent
As a SPG Platinum, was upgraded to a Club Level Room. While there is still construction going on at the hotel (to be finished by the end of January), you need to take two elevators to your room. But fortunately, the staff are located at strategic spots in the hotel to guide you to your destination. A very nice touch!

The staff I interacted with have all been top notch. The refurbished rooms are not the usual drab and run down Sheraton room that I've been accustomed to. It's more like a Hilton.

The Lounge offers free continental breakfast, or for a 3 GBP surcharge, can upgrade to a hot breakfast buffet in the restaurant - a real deal! You can grab soda or water throughout the day in the Lounge, and evening canapes are top notch. There's also a huge jar of Walkers shortbread cookies. I'll probably have a heart attack due to how many times I raided that jar!

The gym is huge, and well equipped with weights and cardio machines.

My only nit is that the location isn't as central as I had originally thought. It's probably a brisk 10 minute uphill walk to the Royal Mile or to the west end of Princes Street.

All, in all, probably the best Sheraton I've ever been to!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
We stayed over New Year and were very pleased with the property, although a little disappointed that the renovation work was still ongoing.

We stayed for 2 days over Hogmany and upgraded from a very reasonable corporate rate to a suite @ 10k Starpoints per night. We were very pleased by the layout and additional space although there was some noise from the walkway from one spa on the floor above.

The hotel staff helped out with several issues and were perhaps the most helpful staff we have encountered at any UK property (with the exception of Turnberry).

The only downsides were the lack of dining and drinking choices in the Hotel and the inconvenience of the ongoing construction work, hopefull both will be resolved when the work is completed in March. We would definitely look to stay here again in the near future.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: BD *S, SQ nada
Am considering a trip to Edinburgh and putting up at this hotel. Rates are pretty acceptable to to me at this moment.

Anything that I should take note of? Particular rooms, facing? Understand it is a walk to the bus stop and train station (not as near as advertised).

Quick questions
-As a Plat, from experience, what type of rooms, in general will I be upgraded to? A regular club room, or suite?
-Continental breakfast as per new guidelines? (in the lounge, or restaurant?)
-Free internet
-Late checkout at 4pm?

Assuming that I've been upgraded to club level and breakfast is offered as an amenity, does that mean I still can get my 500points?

Thanks guys.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Thumbs up read the thread?

Originally Posted by kaysquare
Am considering a trip to Edinburgh and putting up at this hotel. Rates are pretty acceptable to to me at this moment.
Anything that I should take note of? Particular rooms, facing? Understand it is a walk to the bus stop and train station (not as near as advertised).
Quick questions
-As a Plat, from experience, what type of rooms, in general will I be upgraded to? A regular club room, or suite?
-Continental breakfast as per new guidelines? (in the lounge, or restaurant?)
-Free internet
-Late checkout at 4pm?
Assuming that I've been upgraded to club level and breakfast is offered as an amenity, does that mean I still can get my 500points?
Thanks guys.
I to am planning a stay at this property. IF you had bothered to read the thread, you would already know:
- the best rooms end in 59;
- the GM is/was JP Kavanagh;
- the bus from EDI costs 5-6 GBP, and a taxi is 15 GBP;
- they do have a lounge, opens at 07:00;
- they do honour late checkout for SP PLAT.

For others, I recommend reading the thread! It told me the proximity to Festival Square, which entrance to use, all about the spa, etc.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:24 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Transportation update

Due to ongoing tram works the Airlink bus route is currently diverted away from Shandwick Place and Princes Street.

Arriving from EDI airport, alight the bus at Charlotte Square. Its a ten minute walk towards and along Lothian Road to Festival Square. Use Edinburgh Castle and the Caledonian Hilton as your guiding landmarks.

Catching the bus to the airport is a little easier. There is a temporary stop on Lothian Road, opposite the Caledonian Hilton.

Fares are currently £3.50 one way or £6.00 return (Child fares are £2.00 one way or £3.00 return)

A licensed taxi offers greater convenience. Expect the fare between the airport and hotel to be in the region of £20
Old Jun 5, 2012, 3:04 am

Last time I stayed as platinum got upgrade to castle view suite. Stayed a few weeks ago as gold (but stay got be back to plat).

Spa is very overrated. Breakfast is amazing- worth paying the small plat upgrade to full as the club lounge was poor. Very limited hours for drink in lounge- all served not help yourself.

I personally prefered the old bar as it had a lovely clientel mix with lots of older local residents and a genteel agelessness about it. The new bar is soulless and very Dubai bling.

The hotel is wrongly branded in my opinion. It's not a typical Sheraton and better than almost every luxury collection that I have stayed in.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Last time I stayed as platinum got upgrade to castle view suite. Stayed a few weeks ago as gold (but stay got be back to plat).

Spa is very overrated. Breakfast is amazing- worth paying the small plat upgrade to full as the club lounge was poor. Very limited hours for drink in lounge- all served not help yourself.

I personally prefered the old bar as it had a lovely clientel mix with lots of older local residents and a genteel agelessness about it. The new bar is soulless and very Dubai bling.

The hotel is wrongly branded in my opinion. It's not a typical Sheraton and better than almost every luxury collection that I have stayed in.
Can I ask what upgrade you got as a gold if any?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Geoggy
Can I ask what upgrade you got as a gold if any?
We booked a non view suite and that was what we got. Last time we booked a standard club room and got a castle view suite. the suites vary in size within the same rate
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
I'm going to Edinburgh with my dad for a week later this summer, would you say this hotel is suitable for the typical touristy things?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Everest
I'm going to Edinburgh with my dad for a week later this summer, would you say this hotel is suitable for the typical touristy things?
Yes, as you can walk to the castle. The street in front of the hotel isn't very nice with strip clubs and sex shops, but once you are past that it's all good.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: EBG, FBG, SPG Gold, CC Gold, etc.
Thanks, stimpy.

I guess they strategically placed themselves next to the Sheraton, then.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Everest
I guess they strategically placed themselves next to the Sheraton, then.
I don't think Sheraton guests are their target market. It's mostly local working men that you see loitering about those places and young boys on a weekend night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.