FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa, Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom [Master thread]
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:28 pm
thaliajen

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Impressed with renovation and suite

My hubby and I stayed here 3 years ago on a side-trip from London. I arrived here yesterday, quite sick from a sinus infection, knowing that it was 8am and I would have a long wait for a room. I had requested a suite UG as always in my notes but when I checked in, I just wanted a bed and a bath.

Immediately at check-in I was informed I'd been upgraded to a suite, but it wasn't yet ready. At 8am, I didn't expect it to be. I was SO sick that I requested a change to a regular room, IF they had one available. Not only was I given a room, but I was told that the suite remained mine and I could switch over in the morning. Such nice people!

Having been here before the renovations, I was quite impressed with the new lighter color scheme, the tv, the light switches (yep, even those!) but especially the bathroom. It wasn't the sort of room I'd want to share with anyone as the doors to the bathroom are made of glass/lucite? and there's not much privacy, but for a single person it is very nice. I quickly ran a bath and was sad to see no Molten Brown products (my favorite) but happy to see the colored lights above the bath. I took a long soak in a good-sized tub (shower is separate) with a light blue light bathing the tub below. I had so much fun with that light switch, LOL- changing colors, dimming, putting on the night-light (finally someone figures out that we need night-lights!) that I almost forgot to go to sleep.

The room was small, on the club floor, and had only a bed and a tiny table/chair combo. As I have a back problem, it wouldn't have been a great room for me for the week. After my long sleep I had to lay on the bed to watch tv or read or work, which is horribly bad for the back. But other than the size of the room and lack of a good comfortable chair or sofa, I had no problems. I was there to sleep, that's it, so it worked well. Also, after 4 nights in NYC prior to my stay here, it was blessedly quiet! And the AC works! Not just works, it allows me to set the AC as low as I want w/o hotel interference. I prefer an icy cold room and I got one!

Today I moved into the suite, and didn't want to leave. I LOVE the new decor! The photos above the sofa are arranged carefully and with thought. The grey tartan wallpaper match the new sofa and pillows. There is a desk with a blow dryer under a panel and an American outlet so FINALLY an American woman can do her hair and make-up properly! I can't count how many times I have dried my hair standing up across the room from a mirror, and forget trying to curl or straighten it. This desk is a Godsend. And the suite has Molten Brown products! Talk about a Heavenly Experience- try soaking in the lavender shower gel for an hour whilst listening to the tv through the speaker in the bathroom.

Between the bedroom and living room there are pocket doors. These open at the same time so if you open one side, you open the other. There is a similar desk in the bedroom but no American outlet. The bedroom has a King bed with comfy duvet (I can never get over not having a sheet, though. Luckily it's cold enough in here to use the duvet.) There's a grey/brown tartan blanket at the foot of the bed, setting off the white duvet and matching the new wallpaper and brand new carpet. There are flat screens in each room mounted to the walls, and plenty of space for whatever.

The 1st night I received a kind note of welcome from the general manager with a bottle of wine (I don't drink but it IS kind) and a plate of olives. I happen to LOVE olives so I was quite happy.

This is one of the nicest (definitely newest!) suites I've stayed in. The biggest problem seems to be the trek from the bedroom to the bathroom, and honestly, that's not REALLY a problem. I don't know what's going on outside, though, as I tried to go for a walk and got lost, which never happened on my last stay. The construction is confusing, but necessary, from what I hear.

What a kind staff, and such a grand suite. The renovations went very well. I DO miss our old suite just a bit, ONLY the castle view. But that was 3 years ago. THIS is a whole new Sheraton, and definitely changed for the better. I'm QUITE impressed!