Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
HOTEL DEFLAGGED. No Marriott Bonvoy benefits.

Club Lounge Hours

(As of Sept 2017)

Breakfast
Everyday: 7 AM - 11 AM

Snacks and non-alcoholic drinks
Monday - Friday: 12:30 PM - 11 PM
Saturday - Sunday: 3 PM - 9 PM

Wine by the glass and hors d'oeuvres
Everyday: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 3:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Libertador may be in/nearer a more lively (or "authentic"/"local feel") area during the day, but at night it's got a few more "not-so-good" neighborhood issues than the Hilton does. In either case, they are only a US$2 cab ride apart (if even) or a 20 minute walk.

Although the Hilton is certainly in a different type of area -- a more sanitized one at that -- I would not say that the Hilton is away -- and certainly not far away -- from the action either.

Most importantly, thanks for the great stay report daveland. ^^
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA(2MM)-Plt, HH-Gld, HY-Glb, ICAmb-Plt, SPG-Plt (Life), AMEX-Plt
Had a positive experience at Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires. Upgraded to Presidential Suite - Nice! Trip report posted here.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 11:01 pm

I stayed at the Libertador last fall, and thought it was your standard tourist-class Sheraton. It's by no means the newest or hippest property, but I never got the impression it tried to market itself as such. You get what you pay for here, and that is a comfortable place to lay your head at a good value. My expectations were met, and they even gave me a wine & cheese welcome tray that I thought was thoughtful.

EJ
Old Sep 5, 2006, 4:50 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Just had a very positive experience there. As a Gold, was upgraded to a "Executive" Club Floor corner room, with a good view of the river. If all of the suites ahd not been booked by a couple of weddings that night, they would have put me in a suite...they were actually very apologetic that they were not able to do that. Internet was "help yourself" (read: free) in the business center. The location was just fine. The breakfast buffet was good. The staff were really, really friendly & eager to help. As a Gold, received a nice half-bottle of Malbec as a welcome gift, robe, turn-down & chocolates, etc. etc. etc. The location was within walking distance of several great area eats, places to see, the ferry terminal (for day trip to Colonia)...I'd definitely stay there again.

For anyone staying there early this fall, just an FYI: They are doing some rennovations, and apparently mine was a room that had already been rennovated. They are also rennovating the suana at the rooftop healthclub, as well as one of the elevators, and the club lounge. Nothing I couldn't overlook, nothing that clouded my positive experience here.

Last edited by skye1; Sep 6, 2006 at 8:59 am
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I would definitely not say it is anywhere near the worst in the world---perhaps a little or even major exaggeration here. In fact it might be one of the world’s best bargains, depending on your rate. I got the Presidential Suite a couple of times there and another time was apologized to for not being given it as it was occupied. The suite had a jacuzzi and a sauna. Also a great plate of chocolates and wine and cheese and fruit in the room. Very helpful staff. Not bad for $99 or a bit more.

Now late this year I will stay at the Park Tower for $199 vs. a rate of $149 that I found for the Libertador. To me it all depends on the price differential.

Frankly, none of them are really the best in Buenos Aires—I understand that award would have to go to the Park Hyatt, the Alvear Palace Hotel, the Four Seasons or the Faena Hotel & Universe.

If you really want to see a lousy hotel in EZE, I stayed in one of the Kempinski hotels there (as a Platinum Concierge member) and the room was as small as a cell with spartan furnishings. In fact, I think I moved out of that one and to one of the Starwood properties rather than even stay the night.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by TravelingGnome
After a horrible experience at the Sheraton Libertador in Lima, I've sworn off the Libertadors - so have not stayed in this hotel. I'm normally Starwood crazy, but had a great stay at the Hilton where I paid about $150/night. It appears that the rates have gone up since, but that was a REALLY nice, new business hotel.
I am booked at the Sheraton with three rooms for myself and family members celebrating an event that I am gifting them with next March.
I don't want problems or desire to deal with corporate services after the stay.
This thread has me worried now Any new feedback all?
How is the Hilton location compared to the Sheraton?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I am booked at the Sheraton with three rooms for myself and family members celebrating an event that I am gifting them with next March.
While I couldn't compare w/ the Hilton, looks like you've got a few posts (besides mine) and a trip report or two that I would think would put your worries to rest. Sure, it's no St. Regis, but it's no dump either. Not too many Sheratons have the welcome gifts, the other nice touches, and the really incredible staff that many here have referred to. And, there's PLENTY of different rates & specials to chose from to suit anyone's needs.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:05 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Libertador in EZE is an excellent hotel for its category, well run and clean. It is well located on a busy street, a block or 2 from a great shopping mall and one of the main shopping streets. Of course it also has street noise (though the windows are better than most NYC hotels) and it is not trying to be a 5-star.

The negative comment on this thread that you quoted was not about this hotel, in fact no indication that they ever stayed at this hotel at all, it was about another hotel called Libertador in Lima.....so to be worried about that is like saying you had a bad stay at the Park Plaza and will never again stay at any hotel with Plaza in its name, in any city. Rather absurd logic to me. My own experience with the Libertador is very positive, I thought it was above average and trying hard. The building is mostly renovated now, but there are some old, unrenovated, rooms -- presumably you won't see those though. The do recognize SPG status very well, and also cater to foreign travelers. Finally there is an excellent hair stylist shop in the back of this hotel (rather hidden), with a rare talent for hair and prices that are 20% of the US cost (but little English is spoken).
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just got back yesterday from 8 nights at the Sheraton Libertador. We loved it. Were there problems? Yes, but nothing severe -- a very eccentric elevator, a noisey air-conditioner (replaced the first day), a less than perfect TV picture (but we weren't watching television anyway). The staff was warm and helpful, the property was clean and the location can't be beat -- the Libertador is walking distance to virtually everywhere. The only problem was that cab drivers confused the property with Sheraton Convention Center. We gotten taken there more than once until I learned to say:

"Por favor, Sheraton Liberador a Avenida Cordoba y Maipu"

I had more than one taxi driver thank me for specifying Cordoba and Maipu.

Was it the nicest hotel we ever stayed in? Not by a long shot. Would we return again? In a heart beat.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
We just got back yesterday from 8 nights at the Sheraton Libertador. We loved it. Were there problems? Yes, but nothing severe -- a very eccentric elevator, a noisey air-conditioner (replaced the first day), a less than perfect TV picture (but we weren't watching television anyway). The staff was warm and helpful, the property was clean and the location can't be beat -- the Libertador is walking distance to virtually everywhere. The only problem was that cab drivers confused the property with Sheraton Convention Center. We gotten taken there more than once until I learned to say:

"Por favor, Sheraton Liberador a Avenida Cordoba y Maipu"

I had more than one taxi driver thank me for specifying Cordoba and Maipu.

Was it the nicest hotel we ever stayed in? Not by a long shot. Would we return again? In a heart beat.
Praise the lord And thanks for the amazing quick helpful report!
Only on FT!

Clean rooms?,peaceful quiet sleep?,decent shower with water pressure ?
Sweet Sleeper as advertised.....? Upgrade?

Love the taxi story and glad it wasn't me.Thanks for the warning
I will hold signs up in the taxi
Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by number_6
The Libertador in EZE is an excellent hotel for its category, well run and clean. It is well located on a busy street, a block or 2 from a great shopping mall and one of the main shopping streets. Of course it also has street noise (though the windows are better than most NYC hotels) and it is not trying to be a 5-star.

The negative comment on this thread that you quoted was not about this hotel, in fact no indication that they ever stayed at this hotel at all, it was about another hotel called Libertador in Lima.....so to be worried about that is like saying you had a bad stay at the Park Plaza and will never again stay at any hotel with Plaza in its name, in any city. Rather absurd logic to me. My own experience with the Libertador is very positive, I thought it was above average and trying hard. The building is mostly renovated now, but there are some old, unrenovated, rooms -- presumably you won't see those though. The do recognize SPG status very well, and also cater to foreign travelers. Finally there is an excellent hair stylist shop in the back of this hotel (rather hidden), with a rare talent for hair and prices that are 20% of the US cost (but little English is spoken).
Thanks it is way to late in NY for me to be posting and I meant to actually quote another poster but screwed up!Thanks for the help I will keep my reservation now.It sounds reasonably safe in quality standards.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 7:46 am

Clean rooms?,peaceful quiet sleep?,decent shower with water pressure ?
Sweet Sleeper as advertised.....? Upgrade?
Yep. All of the above. When I was there in Augst/Sept., they were finishing up rennovations on the health club on the top floor (as is, it wasn't horrible at all, and the views all around were awesome)....they may be done by now.

Yeah, there was a little wait for the elevator each time...but, the usual trick of going around the corner to what would normally be a service elavator (but actually was a lone public one worked.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 8:08 am

Smile yep dept

Originally Posted by skye1
Yep. All of the above. When I was there in Augst/Sept., they were finishing up rennovations on the health club on the top floor (as is, it wasn't horrible at all, and the views all around were awesome)....they may be done by now.

Yeah, there was a little wait for the elevator each time...but, the usual trick of going around the corner to what would normally be a service elavator (but actually was a lone public one worked.
Thanks for the great feedback.Very Helpful ^
Details great.No suprises is my favorite way to go
Is the city safe compared to other major cities?
Are you sorry you didn't stay longer? Or was 8 nights just right?
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Thanks for the great feedback.Very Helpful ^
Details great.No suprises is my favorite way to go
Is the city safe compared to other major cities?
Are you sorry you didn't stay longer? Or was 8 nights just right?
You really should take a look at the South America forum for more info as there is a long sticky on Buenos Aires.

Buenos Aires is a relatively safe city when considering South America as a whole. The biggest thing to watch out for is mugging and taxi cab scams (where they drive you to a deserted area and try to get money,etc).

The Libertador is great and when I stayed there last month I got upgraded to one of the four presidential suites. I was on an award stay and so for two nights in the presidential suite it cost me 6000 SPG points. Not bad at all in my book!
Old Oct 25, 2006, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
EZE is safer than average, but you see signs of destitution everywhere. Engineers shining shoes on the street, that sort of thing, and much of it is chronic. There is a crime element due to the desperation that this can bring. Overall I think it is safer than any city in the US.

As for taxi drivers, they fall sharply into 2 groups. Half are honest and very cheap. The other half are not honest and will try to fleece you in various ways. If you ever have a cab suggest not pulling in to your hotel's driveway but to drop you in the street, it is a sure sign that he is doing something not honest and doesn't want the doorman to see. I've had the same trip magically cost 5 times as much in a different taxi, so be aware of that (but most cities have this problem in varying ways).

Overall EZE is a great city. The food is superb (and not just steak!). There is a strong Italian presence which does well with some of the food. The best ice cream in the world that I've ever had is in the basement of the Galerias Pacifico mall (a couple of blocks from the Libertador).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.