FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/338083-sheraton-libertador-buenos-aires-argentina-master-thread.html)

HLS2002 Jul 17, 2004 7:53 am

Sheraton Libertador, Buenos Aires, Argentina [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed at the Sheraton Libertador recently? I booked lots of free nights there in August to take advantage of the 25% sale. As a category 1, it seemed like a good deal even though it's not one of BA's leading hotels. I haven't heard much about the place, and it seems like the only comment on this board was from several years ago. The location seems more desirable than that of the other Sheraton (although I am staying a couple of nights at the attached Park Tower -- it seemed nice enough to justify being slightly out of the heart of the action). I see the "sweet sleeper bed" is not mentioned on the list of amenitites.

number_6 Jul 17, 2004 10:51 am

I stayed there last year in their Presidential suite (they have 4, I suppose that is the nature of Argentinian politics). A good hotel with a good location (best of the Starwoods) and with excellent service. Nice pool on the roof and great massage. Didn't eat there. I would recommend it whole-heartedly, better than most Starwoods in the US. No Sweet Sleeper bed, as you noticed, but my bed was very comfortable (as was the steam bath, sauna, jacuzzi and shower that holds 10 of your closest friends). The suite has 5 separate rooms -- for the bathroom. Then 3 more for the rest of the suite.
There is a shopping galleria 2 blocks away which has some of the best ice cream in the world. I say that only after having made a diligent effort to eat the best ice cream in the world on all 6 continents.

HLS2002 Aug 27, 2004 9:34 am

Thanks, #6, for your input. I didn't get to stay in any of the presidential suites, so unfortunately my report isn't quite as glowing. The room was small and didn't have upbeat, redecorated bedding. I moved from a low floor to a higher one because of some strange glue odor (some kind of rennovation work was apparently going on). The higher floor was nicer. The staff was friendly and helpful, with the exception of one person at the front desk. I didn't use the pool or sauna, but I stopped by and thought it looked nice.

You're absolutely right about the location being ideal. The Park Tower is not inconvenient, but I felt more comfortable taking taxis at night when the immediate surroundings became very quiet. The Park Tower obviously costs a lot more than the Libertador, but it is a luxury hotel that may be worth the extra (although I would stay at the Alvear if the rates were similar).

In short, I would suggest the Libertador if you can get a rate under about US$65. Otherwise you can do better in BA for the price; it looks like you can usually get the well-situated Claridge's for under US$100 these days. For a category 1 SPG award I picked up during the 25% discount days, I was satisfied with the Libertador.

100,000miler Aug 27, 2004 5:08 pm

I have only stayed at the Park Lane which is a jewel esp with the great outdoor pool connected to the Sheraton which is next door and connected.

I checked out the lobby of the Liberator which is nice. My concern was that there was no outdoor pool which if you are on vacation is a real issue.

The other thing is if you are truly on a budget you can get Howard Johnsons properties right downtown BA for as little as $35 US per night and they are just fine thank you. There are some real bargains in BA but the big chains are not where to look.

number_6 Aug 27, 2004 5:46 pm

The rooftop pool is better than outdoor; it has a retractable roof. Not much deck space though (maybe enough for 40 people, however rarely more than 1 or 2 up there when I used it). Obviously it is a giant step down from the Park Tower, but the rate for their presidential suite was less than a regular room at the PT so I took a chance and tried to Libertador; glad I did.

hoieunkim Mar 8, 2005 8:09 am

edited

GUWonder Mar 8, 2005 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hoieunkim
I just made an award reservation for a stay at Sheration Libetador, Buenos Aires. On the confirmation page, it is stated that "ROOM TAX 21.0 Percent Per Room Per Night NOT In The Rate". It's my understanding that for award stay, you don't have to pay anything, but is it different for BA properties or is it just a mistake on a confirmation page? Thanks in advance.

At other Starwood hotels in Argentina, I've never paid that tax for award stays. My most recent experience with such was in May 2004.

hoieunkim Mar 8, 2005 8:52 am

thanks

escog Mar 10, 2005 3:29 pm

I was at the Libertador at the end of last January this year (2005) on an award stay. I didn't pay any anything - no taxes, fees, etc...

rhetor Jun 22, 2005 6:21 pm

Last posting here is about a year old, so I thought it was time for an updated request for information. I'm heading down to BA in about a week and staying at this place on points. As a Platinum, is breakfast included? Is high-speed internet available in the room -- if so, how expensive? Mrs. Rhetor and I are really psyched (she's never been to BA and it's been 15 years for me) so anything anyone wants to suggest about the hotel or a good churascaria/rodizio/parrillada (not sure what the differnce is), we'd love to hear it!

number_6 Jun 22, 2005 7:55 pm

No breakfast when I stayed there (last year) but they provided a Plat amenity of some food delivered to the room as well as the 500 points. Didn't look for high speed internet but it is rare in BA, doubt they have it. Food is cheap in the hotel and reasonably good, much better outside of the hotel. Some great Italian food in BA which I didn't expect, along with the more obvious choices. I found the hotel location to be good and better than the other higher-starred hotels. Visiting BA is a bit like being in a time warp back to the Depression, bit sad but I do my best to spread the wealth around.

skye1 Jun 22, 2005 9:00 pm

Paging Spiff....(he was JUST there a few days ago)

rhetor Jun 23, 2005 9:00 am

Thanks number_6 and sky1; I'll eagerly await any report from Spiff!

tmas Aug 8, 2005 2:21 pm

Which property?

I'm going there this weekend and have a reservation at the Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center. How is this property compared to the other SPG properties? Thanks for your input, I can't wait to see what everyone has told me is one of the most beautiful cities.

GUWonder Aug 8, 2005 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by tmas
I'm going there this weekend and have a reservation at the Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center. How is this property compared to the other SPG properties? Thanks for your input, I can't wait to see what everyone has told me is one of the most beautiful cities.

Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center is below the Park Tower (which is attached to the Sheraton Hotel & Convention Center); it is better than the hotel the OP is discussing.