Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite nights stacking with credit cards from different countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JapanFlyerT
Wik post on how many elite nights you can get from different Marriott Credit Cards

Which countries have cards, and how much can I earn?

Country | Card| Personal/Business | #Elite nights | Annual fee
USA | Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX | Personal | 25 nights | USD650
USA | Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX for Business | Business| 15 nights | USD125
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card from Chase | Personal | 15 nights | USD95
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase | Personal | 15 nights | Free (0)
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card | Personal | 15 nights | USD250
UK | Bonvoy Credit Card | Personal | 15 nights | GBP95 (~120USD)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy® American Express® Premium Card| 15 nights| JPY 49,500 (USD $330)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy® American Express® Card| 5 nights| JPY 23,100 (USD $155)
Korea | Marriott Bonvoy® The Best Shinhan | Personal | 10 nights | KRW 267,000 (~200USD)
India | Marriott Bonvoy® HDFC Bank Credit Card | Personal | 10 nights | INR 3,540 (~43 USD, including tax)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy® American Express® Card | Personal | 15 nights | CAD 120 (~90 USD)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy® Business American Express® Card | Business | 15 nights | CAD 150 (~110 USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy ® Gold Card | Personal | 5 nights | 200 RMB (~30USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy ® Platinum Card | Personal | 10 nights | 980 RMB (~140USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy ® Premium Card | Personal | 15 nights | 6800 RMB (~950USD)

Note:
This list focuses on night earnings, the cards offer other benefits including free nights, points earned per spending and so on, and some offer elite status as well as the nights credit, so you may get gold status, plus 15 nights for example (China's Premium card). Exchanges rates last updated wholesale as of January 2024

Do the nights stack?
Yes, as far as we can tell, they do when you are combining non-US and US nights, and at least one poster has had success in getting extra nights from India or Japan

When do the points post?
Shortly after you get the card, and on 1 January of each year

Could I get status without ever staying in a Marriott hotel?
Yes, as far we can tell you could. But getting these credit cards in multiple countries may be a challenge! The Japan Premium card grants platinum status with ¥4,000,000 spend, no stays required.

Are there special rules?
Yes, in the USA you can only get a maximum of 40 nights of credit, no matter how many cards you get, from the T&Cs:
[Quote = Amex/Marriott Website in January 2024]
To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Card Member, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy Member Account linked to your Card Account. A maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits will be provided per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card account; or, you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy® American Express® Card account. Then, you may receive a combined maximum of 30 Elite Night Credits (15 per Card account). If you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business® American Express® Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant® American Express® Card account, you may receive a combined maximum of 40 Elite Night Credits (15 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Business Card account plus 25 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card account). This benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express.
[/quote]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2023, 7:12 am
Original Poster

I know usually the nights do not stack between different combinations of US personal cards and European cards.

But l recall seeing one mention that UAE card and the US card does stack (you get 30/40 nights).

What about other countries? Does anyone happen to have data points about Japanese cards?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 11:37 am

There was a blog post about this last year I think? I believe Frequent Miler, answering a question from someone, but I cannot find it.

The country in question was stackable because the terms did not specifically exclude stacking in the terms, like Canada, US and UK do. It may have been

Edit: I actually found the thread where we discussed this last year:Elite Night Credits via CC, Multiple countries
uinoka likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! That's exactly the thread and pages I was looking for. I searched too but the same keywords hits on many similar but unrelated stuff.

I couldn't find an exclusion for the Japanese cards anywhere, but I was hoping if anyone had actual data points in case the night credits are handled by Marriott and they were in fact bound by the same restrictions. Don't want an uphill battle even if it is AMEX that failed at documenting things. I guess I'll just have to try it and figure out.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 9:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uinoka
Thanks! That's exactly the thread and pages I was looking for. I searched too but the same keywords hits on many similar but unrelated stuff.

I couldn't find an exclusion for the Japanese cards anywhere, but I was hoping if anyone had actual data points in case the night credits are handled by Marriott and they were in fact bound by the same restrictions. Don't want an uphill battle even if it is AMEX that failed at documenting things. I guess I'll just have to try it and figure out.
Any update? I am considering adding the Japanese AMEX if that will get me another 15.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

ご入会時また毎年カードをご継続いたただく度に、Marriott Bonvoyより15泊分のご宿泊実績をプレゼントします。
It reads like they add the 15-night on renewal so I've been planning on getting the card in the new year. Will report back.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uinoka
It reads like they add the 15-night on renewal so I've been planning on getting the card in the new year. Will report back.
毎年15泊分の宿泊実績をプレゼント<エリート会員資格取得に向けた宿泊実績>
ご入会時また毎年カードをご継続いたただく度に、Marriott Bonvoyより15泊分のご宿泊実績をプレゼントします。「プラチナエリート」会員資格をよりスヒ ゚ーディーに獲得できます。

I don't think what you wrote is correct. Like the US cards, the J card says on application (入会時) and the renewal 毎年カードをご継続いたただく度に . In the US I think it is just start of calendar year, and I imagine that would be true in Japan too, so this is a bit fuzzy for me.

※基本カード会員様のみ対象となります。
This line (above) indicates it is for the member, rather than for family accounts.

I spent a fair bit of time wading deep through the Japanese T&C on the Marriott page but couldn't find anything definitive. I suspect this is a loophole, and there aren't enough people like us out there, eligible for both, for them to consider it (at least right now).

The card itself is pretty much break-even, at least for the first year. With a 1.5 mil spend I'd get enough for two nights at decent properties (bonus signup points plus night).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 12:53 am
Original Poster

AMEX Japan T&C is extremely vague and hard to find (couldn't remember if I actually found it). No idea why when they could've just copied the other sites.

I read the latter half as they will give you the nights at your anniversary dates. And this site even goes to say it's the month after annual fees has posted even if it crosses into the new year.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
What about the Indian Marriott card? Does anybody if it can stack with US cards?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Any USA residents here get Titanium via credit card only? As in, no stays?

I get 40 ENC's via my USA Bonvoy credit cards and then 10 more via my Korea-based Bonvoy credit card. That's 50 total.

I've always imagined that it is, at least in theory, possible to be a USA resident with the 40 cc ENC's, then as an ex-pat, with Bonvoy credit cards from 2 (or 3?) more countries, and get the 75 ENC's without stepping foot in a single hotel.

It's gotta be pretty rare. But is there anybody out there that has actually done this????? So curious... :-)
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I guess in theory yes - The UK would give you an extra 15 nights (that's mine), so then you just need something from Canada I guess?

I would point out that having Titanium status and never using it is rather pointless however. Even in your case, if you are paying all that money for the US + Korean credit cards and not spending 25 nights in a hotel, the status perks would be a bit wasted.
DallasEsq likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I would point out that having Titanium status and never using it is rather pointless however. Even in your case, if you are paying all that money for the US + Korean credit cards and not spending 25 nights in a hotel, the status perks would be a bit wasted.
I'm not exactly a Titanium snob (at least not a full-blown one). On average, per year, including my 3 cc FNA's, I only spend about 10-13(ish) nights in hotels. Generally not enough to make Titanium. But if somebody is going to use the FNA's and cc benefits and thus (at least) break even on the af's, then I can imagine that people who have access to 3 countries of Bonvoy cc might just throw up their hands and say 'why not'.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I guess in theory yes - The UK would give you an extra 15 nights (that's mine), so then you just need something from Canada I guess?
You don't earn any additional ENCs for holding a Canadian Bonvoy Amex.

James
SPN Lifer and Smiley90 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54
I'm not exactly a Titanium snob (at least not a full-blown one). On average, per year, including my 3 cc FNA's, I only spend about 10-13(ish) nights in hotels. Generally not enough to make Titanium. But if somebody is going to use the FNA's and cc benefits and thus (at least) break even on the af's, then I can imagine that people who have access to 3 countries of Bonvoy cc might just throw up their hands and say 'why not'.
As a Lifetime Platinum and former Titanium...

With only 10-13 nights per year in hotels, exactly ZERO of those would be in a Marriott Bonvoy hotel. I wouldn't even bother with the credit cards for FNAs. My credit card portfolio would be made up of transferrable currencies and/or cashback, allowing me to be a free agent across airline and accommodation.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I am LTP and hold Bonvoy business and Personal cards in US (30 nights). If I get a Bonvoy card in India which gives 10 ENCs, can I get 40 ENCs each year. This is not very important as I am already LTP but can't hurt.

I am looking to get the card just coz it gives a 15K FNA which is very useful for hotels in India/Thailand/Malaysia where a lot of hotels are around 20k points (for the visits where I just need a decent hygienic place). The AF is about US $40.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 10:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
no reason it cant be done, and only with one card, ie the boundless, given the elite night credits for spend. i think i came close to it last year, but then again, a fair chunk of spend was at bonvoy properties...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.