Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite nights stacking with credit cards from different countries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JapanFlyerT
Wik post on how many elite nights you can get from different Marriott Credit Cards

Which countries have cards, and how much can I earn?

Country | Card| Personal/Business | #Elite nights | Annual fee
USA | Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX | Personal | 25 nights | USD650
USA | Bonvoy Brilliant AMEX for Business | Business| 15 nights | USD125
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card from Chase | Personal | 15 nights | USD95
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card from Chase | Personal | 15 nights | Free (0)
USA | Marriott Bonvoy Bevy American Express Card | Personal | 15 nights | USD250
UK | Bonvoy Credit Card | Personal | 15 nights | GBP95 (~120USD)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Premium Card| 15 nights| JPY 49,500 (USD $330)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card| 5 nights| JPY 23,100 (USD $155)
Korea | Marriott Bonvoy The Best Shinhan | Personal | 10 nights | KRW 267,000 (~200USD)
India | Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Credit Card | Personal | 10 nights | INR 3,540 (~43 USD, including tax)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card | Personal | 15 nights | CAD 120 (~90 USD)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card | Business | 15 nights | CAD 150 (~110 USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy Gold Card | Personal | 5 nights | 200 RMB (~30USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Card | Personal | 10 nights | 980 RMB (~140USD)
China | CITIC Marriott Bonvoy Premium Card | Personal | 15 nights | 6800 RMB (~950USD)

Note:
This list focuses on night earnings, the cards offer other benefits including free nights, points earned per spending and so on, and some offer elite status as well as the nights credit, so you may get gold status, plus 15 nights for example (China's Premium card). Exchanges rates last updated wholesale as of January 2024

Do the nights stack?
Yes, as far as we can tell, they do when you are combining non-US and US nights, and at least one poster has had success in getting extra nights from India or Japan

When do the points post?
Shortly after you get the card, and on 1 January of each year

Could I get status without ever staying in a Marriott hotel?
Yes, as far we can tell you could. But getting these credit cards in multiple countries may be a challenge! The Japan Premium card grants platinum status with 4,000,000 spend, no stays required.

Are there special rules?
Yes, in the USA you can only get a maximum of 40 nights of credit, no matter how many cards you get, from the T&Cs:
[Quote = Amex/Marriott Website in January 2024]
To be eligible to receive the 15 Elite Night Credits with this Card, you must be the Basic Card Member, and you must have an active Marriott Bonvoy Member Account linked to your Card Account. A maximum of 15 Elite Night Credits will be provided per Marriott Bonvoy Member Account, unless you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy Bevy American Express Card account; or, you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card account. Then, you may receive a combined maximum of 30 Elite Night Credits (15 per Card account). If you have both an open Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card account and an open Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card account, you may receive a combined maximum of 40 Elite Night Credits (15 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Business Card account plus 25 Elite Night Credits as a benefit of an eligible Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card account). This benefit is not exclusive to Cards offered by American Express.
[/quote]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:24 am
Original Poster

DP: It worked. Elite nights from US and Japan personal cards will stack and aren't mutually exclusive.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uinoka
DP: It worked. Elite nights from US and Japan personal cards will stack and aren't mutually exclusive.
Great news for people like us.
Hopefully this doesn't get shut down, though in truth if they are giving away up to 40 nights in the US or automatic platinum for a high spend, it really isn't a big "freebie" given the high annual fee.

How long did your application take to process, and how long after that did the the nights post?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

I should have tracked more closely, but it was roughly one business day each for the application review and for the nights to post, all during the first few days of the new year (a very rough one in Japan, too).
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Has anyone asked the obvious question? Could someone achieve 75 nights without a single stay with cards from more than 2 countries?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:00 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Has anyone asked the obvious question? Could someone achieve 75 nights without a single stay with cards from more than 2 countries?
My guess is if you have access to having 5 credit cards across different countries you probably travel extensively and have access enough to pay for some hotel night stays. I know its the FlyerTalk thing to do to ask questions that are on the fringe of ridiculous.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Yes: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-no-stays.html

Open question at the moment, you'd need to do it via multiple countries, but no reason why not. I turned into a wiki so we can add, and track the number of nights you can earn. Btw, someone I remember saying that Canada didn't give nights, but it seems to.
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Premium Card| 15 nights? | JPY 45,000 (USD $409)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card| 10 nights? | JPY 21,000 (USD $190)
Korea | Marriott Bonvoy The Best Shinhan | Personal | 10 nights | KRW 267,000 (~200USD)
India | Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Credit Card | Personal | 10 nights | INR 3,000 (~26 USD)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card | Personal | 15 nights | CAD 120 (~90 USD)
Canada | Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card | Business | 15 nights | CAD 150 (~110 USD)

That list alone is 120 nights, though I have no idea how hard it is to get these cards if you are a foreigner!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Note, I've put together a list (as a wiki) of the card earning here:
Seems across all the countries you could easily get Titanium, and indeed over 100 nights, if you wanted a challenge!
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:15 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by littlevoices

Open question at the moment, you'd need to do it via multiple countries, but no reason why not. I turned into a wiki so we can add, and track the number of nights you can earn. Btw, someone I remember saying that Canada didn't give nights, but it seems to.
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Premium Card| 15 nights? | JPY 45,000 (USD $409)
Japan | Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card| 10 nights? | JPY 21,000 (USD $190)
India | Marriott Bonvoy HDFC Bank Credit Card | Personal | 10 nights | INR 3,000 (~26 USD)

That list alone is 120 nights, though I have no idea how hard it is to get these cards if you are a foreigner!
There are also cards issued in China that you missed. I expect Marriott to launch cards in even more countries as they probably have realized they can do more than airlines as Marriott is everywhere. And selling points to banks is a lucrative business.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by littlevoices

With exchange rate where it is at for the Japan premium card it is actually about $100 cheaper, might pick this up now. I believe the non-premium AMEX for Japan only gives 5 nights.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:29 am

There are also cards issued in China that you missed. I expect Marriott to launch cards in even more countries as they probably have realized they can do more than airlines as Marriott is everywhere. And selling points to banks is a lucrative business.
Added China to the list as they were easy to find, this is a wiki so it's easy for everyone to add themselves

Originally Posted by spgcow
With exchange rate where it is at for the Japan premium card it is actually about $100 cheaper, might pick this up now. I believe the non-premium AMEX for Japan only gives 5 nights.
Yes I noted the same, have updated the exchange rate on USD. That poor JPY....

Also realised there are 2 Chase cards in the US, added them too. How come nobody has done the US Amex + Chase, surely they stack to many nights to begin, or is there a special ban on that? [Edit: Answered myself and added the the FAQ, the USA itself maxes out at 40 nights per year]

Last edited by littlevoices; Jan 5, 2024 at 12:34 am
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Slow down. Past report says US, UK, Canada cards adds up to a total of 30 w/o premium card, and 40 w/ premium card. You have to cross into other countries to go above 40. The possible candidates are cards from CJK, India and UAE.

Last edited by uinoka; Jan 5, 2024 at 1:08 am
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:10 am

For the countries below, is it possible to get an Amex card : 1. being non-resident and 2. no tax-ID 3. bank account outside those countries and 4. pre-load money or otherwise secure the Amex card?
a. USA ?
b. UK ?
c. Japan ?
d. UAE ?

Have assets. Have plenty income from assets. Retired (no salary) with no pension. Non- USA/UK/UAE/Japan resident. Say $100 (incl tax) spend for Plat Challenge 16 nights = $1,600 for what 1. free breakfasts 2. possible upgrades 3. lounge access where lounges exist (from what i've read on FT: in USA & Canada, often don;t get upgrades Mexico?)
Old Jan 5, 2024, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
littlevoices thanks for compiling this, it's extremely useful.

Can you please edit the AF of the Indian card. It's INR 3540 (3000 + 18% tax) and it's US equivalent will be 43 USD
littlevoices and FlySkyHigh like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Expatriate
For the countries below, is it possible to get an Amex card : 1. being non-resident and 2. no tax-ID 3. bank account outside those countries and 4. pre-load money or otherwise secure the Amex card?
c. Japan ?
I am 99% sure you need a Japanese bank account, and it is impossible to get one without a resident's card or citizenship. Plus, these days banks require a tax ID number.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:31 pm

Interesting idea, but probably not worthwhile to go for Titanium without an actual stay.

US Brilliant personal 25
US Chase business 15
Japan Premium 15
Elite night bonus 5 for reaching 50
3 free nights
All that would get you to 63.
Spending on Chase for extra nights $5000=1 night, so $60,000.

It seems to be possible, but the spend requirements are substantial, not to mention the annual fees add up.

Another route for travelers in Asia: 6 cheap ($50) stays in China, Thailand or India during a 2-1
I imagine there are similar deals on other continents if you look hard enough and can travel off-season.

Of course it begs the question why one would do so.

For myself, I stay about 10 nights a year. Half on points/awards, the other half paid. Having Platinum is worthwhile for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.