Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
My home oven has a convection feature. Ask me how many times I've used it.
How many times have you used it?

David
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
One. When my full pan of Cornish hens was not cooking in time for Christmas dinner.

Otherwise the Math is beyond me (reduce by this time and this temperature). Plus it makes a lot of noise
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:44 pm

Good to check by property for kitchen features. I, being well versed in public safety, know fire codes vary by jurisdiction as related to building use, i.e. an apartment vs. hotel/lodging. FWIW...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
In July spent some weeks at RI in Bozeman, MT. Pricey town, summer tourist prices, walk up rate I heard someone get quoted about $350. At least they had (microwaved) eggs and some breakfast meat and usually potato or something. And coffee 24/7 as long as someone remembered to fill the urns. I was at that brand because of the kitchen, and just made our own breakfast some days, but the hot breakfast downstairs was about what I expected. But had I been paying that price, I would have been more than a little bit disappointed. And I would not have bothered to eat the stuff in that pic. Now getting your room cleaned once a week, good luck with that. At least we could get fresh towels and dish soap at the front desk.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lamphs
Good to check by property for kitchen features. I, being well versed in public safety, know fire codes vary by jurisdiction as related to building use, i.e. an apartment vs. hotel/lodging. FWIW...
We'll invite you to be the public safety inspector on our next trip with an RI.

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
In July spent some weeks at RI in Bozeman, MT. Pricey town, summer tourist prices, walk up rate I heard someone get quoted about $350. At least they had (microwaved) eggs and some breakfast meat and usually potato or something. And coffee 24/7 as long as someone remembered to fill the urns. I was at that brand because of the kitchen, and just made our own breakfast some days, but the hot breakfast downstairs was about what I expected. But had I been paying that price, I would have been more than a little bit disappointed. And I would not have bothered to eat the stuff in that pic. Now getting your room cleaned once a week, good luck with that. At least we could get fresh towels and dish soap at the front desk.
Sounds a bit like going to camp.

David
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by DELee
That's their way of providing free birth control.

David
We have 3 in 3 years so by the time my kids started to bother us we were done with having kids

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
One. When my full pan of Cornish hens was not cooking in time for Christmas dinner.

Otherwise the Math is beyond me (reduce by this time and this temperature). Plus it makes a lot of noise
Buy a Miele/Neff oven and they work perfectly. I use that function daily to get my food done in a nice way and the kitchen appliances in RI are like a serious downgrade to me. The convection function works really well and it saves from 5-10 minutes, it does make some noise but it's a lot less than our dishwasher which is about 60dB.

I cooked steaks of all kinds, hamburgers from minced beef, instant noodles, fish and I used the oven for baking chicken pieces (If I need the seasoning I would buy it, if it's salt and pepper and butter I would grab some from the breakfast). I made rice using the microwave - my kids love rice and steak. They started appreciating some vegetable recently, and that's why when we were in the US before they had apps to customize order was a thing we ate Little Caesars instead of burger because I have to do special order for Mr and the kids and 90% of the time something went wrong and they got upset and I had to go back and change... Even we customized orders this time Mr still get dressing in his burgers multiple times... Another reason to cook.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 11:59 am

That's their way of providing free birth control.

David
Jewish Day School education is the most expensive birth control there is.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 12:30 pm

We'll invite you to be the public safety inspector on our next trip with an RI.

David
Not sure if you are being facetious. My point was that allowed appliances vary by jurisdiction and occupancy type; therefore there are properties, of any brand, that may not include a traditional oven in a RI or like property. Henceforth, if an oven is an important feature, check prior to booking.
Horace likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:48 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Recently drove cross country, seven nights in seven SHS, Fairfields, RI, THS, etc. All had at least one “fresh” hot bfast item, many had 2, plus waffle maker. The hot things generally weren’t very good, that see-through bacon, gray sausage, eggs with an indescribable consistency. But at least it wasn’t all prepackaged items. And all had some fresh fruit option.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I just finished a stay at an RI with fresh food, not solely prepackaged stuff, on the breakfast buffet. I expressed my appreciation to the FDM. She said their GM chose to buck guidance from MI on watering down breakfast offerings.
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just to follow up on this property SHS Pensacola Beach, they had a normal breakfast on my stay last weekend instead of prepackaged. Variety of cereals, eggs, sausage patties, pastries, waffle makers etc. One day they had some jimmy dean sausage muffins but was in addition to other offerings so no issue there.

Originally Posted by rylan
I saw something similar at the SHS Pensacola Beach twice now... wondering if it'll be the same for this upcoming weekend. Almost Everything was pre-packaged, even pastries and muffins. Egg sandwiches prepackaged in warmers, waffles prepackaged, individual serving cereal bowls. Only thing that wasn't prepackaged were the apples, bananas and oatmeal.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:11 pm

Given the guests walking around in PJs and bare feet, children coughing, sneezing and pawing the food....I prefer packaged items.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ewoo
Given the guests walking around in PJs and bare feet, children coughing, sneezing and pawing the food....I prefer packaged items.
And those are the "healthy" ones.

David
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I haven't traveled much since the pandemic started, but I used points for 2 stays at the Hyatt Place Richmond Airport in Virginia this year and used 2 Chase credit card nights at the Fairview Park Marriott this past June. The Hyatt Place Richmond Airport had hot food on both stays, and I was able to serve myself the hot food in July. I had to wait for a hotel employee to serve the hot food in January. They seemed short of fresh fruit for both stays and did not have the pitcher of water in January, but they had the usual hot items for breakfast (scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage on alternating days, French toast/premade waffles) along with oatmeal (instant in January and premade in July), bagels and muffins.

Breakfast in the concierge lounge for the Fairview Park Marriott was what I remembered it was like before pandemic except they had a lot less fresh fruit, which was plated in small bowls. It used to be served from larger bowls with tongs to pick pieces of pineapple, cantaloupe and honeydew. They still had scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, hot oatmeal in a pot, cereal, bread and pastries for breakfast. They did not have the bowl of free apples in the concierge lounge or at the front desk or gym like they used to. I did not stay over a Saturday or Sunday morning so I cannot comment on the restaurant breakfast buffet, but I would assume it has not changed much, except that the location of the lobby and restaurant had moved since they were renovating the main areas on the lobby floor where the front desk and restaurant and bar are located. Evening service in the concierge lounge was still above average for a domestic Marriott with one hot food entree (one night was baked chicken and the other night was beef and broccoli stir fry with white rice) with some raw vegetables, cheese and crackers. Desserts were decent although not as much as what they put out 4-5 years ago when you could get a ton of cookies, some brownies and cheesecake or some type of cake if you went early for desserts. The cookies were gone during my stay, and they had one type of dessert like a brownie or a cake.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ewoo
Did they are least scratch between their toes before reaching in for some food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.