Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
[QUOTE=CMK10;34504026]Obviously you don't stay at a FI expecting haute cuisine. But, like when you stay at a similar Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, you figure you'll get a basic level of hot food options that can save you time and money and be convenient in the morning over having to go out. At least in the past you'd get the normal liquid eggs and sausage or similar options. Now, you get this:

What a joke. I am already done with a lower motels from Marriott and Hilton.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
1) Have similar changes been made at Residence Inn properties? These tended to have decent buffets (sometimes including waffles and pancakes), and customer satisfaction (along with room rates) were higher. I would be surprised if the changes were as extensive there.

2) On the rest of the brands, hotel owners are dealing with food inflation, employee turnover, other issues. They have been fighting for this for a while. Unfortunately Marriott may have gone too far. I generally avoid most of the other brands for Courtyard/Residence Inn/AC or Hampton/Hilton Garden Inn anyway.

3) In the US, outside of maybe the Hilton breakfast benefit, and some free breakfast offered at the high end for elite members at Marriott/Hyatt, it is increasingly not worth it to worry about low quality, "free" breakfasts offered. Just choose hotels based on other criteria
Old Aug 15, 2022, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
1) Have similar changes been made at Residence Inn properties? These tended to have decent buffets (sometimes including waffles and pancakes), and customer satisfaction (along with room rates) were higher. I would be surprised if the changes were as extensive there.
I have stayed at 2 Residence Inns this year.

Mystic had a great breakfast but no waffles iron/pancakes. I think they had packaged waffles rather than fresh. The yogurts were Chobani and the nice individual cereals and oatmeal containers. They had the other standard hot stuff too.

Philadelphia city center and everything you would expect from a free breakfast. The area was large and fully stocked.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
I'm not very experienced in limited service properties that serve free breakfasts, so apologies for the ignorance. I'm also not trying to start a flame war between Marriott vs. Hyatt. However, I'm legitimately curious - do Hyatt Places offer similar pre-packaged breakfast options. I seem to remember this from a stay many years ago as a child - I don't remember a real breakfast area even. At least, the one and only Hyatt House I've stayed at had an omelet station.

Regardless, this is a negative trend, for sure. The one and only time I've ever had to remove breakfast food from my mouth was a premade breakfast burrito at Hotel Kansas City (premade is very rarely good).
Depends on the property. The last Hyatt Place I stayed at had complimentary hot breakfast for all guests with ample protein options (sausage, bacon, and sauteed mushrooms for those who don't eat meat)
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Last edited by diburning; Aug 16, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:49 pm
JBa

Programs: some
I am surprised when avid travelers still hope they get decent breakfast at a mid to lower end hotel. There are so many alternatives breakfast places out there. I stopped years ago, eating breakfast at the hotels.
darthbimmer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
To add to the breakfast discussion going on at Marriott lower level properties; I stayed at the Residence Inn Manchester, NH this spring and the breakfast was bleak. I have not seen bacon in years at Marriott or omelets, unless it's at their restaurant or maybe in the Concierge or Club lounges. In any event, dry eggs and grey sausage, it was awful, haven't stayed at a Fairfield Inn with their new breakfast yet. From the looks of it, I will stay away and if I do I will just go elsewhere to eat. Sad state of affairs indeed. Hampton and HIE are superior at this point, I hope they are listening...
Hampton Inn is the one to beat and the reference in this category, in every category and not just breakfast, so please don't ruin it.
rt23456p likes this.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Aug 15, 2022 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:24 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by JBa
I am surprised when avid travelers still hope they get decent breakfast at a mid to lower end hotel. There are so many alternatives breakfast places out there. I stopped years ago, eating breakfast at the hotels.
On a VACATION I do the same, unless the breakfast is special or the hotel is far away from alternatives (like Bahia Beach). On a packed weekend getaway where time is of the essence, being able to fill up onsite is a big plus for me. We have a long Road Trip coming up and getting breakfast on our way to the door each morning and hitting the road is a must for us. Stopping somewhere for breakfast will only add time to long days of driving.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Obviously you don't stay at a FI expecting haute cuisine. But, like when you stay at a similar Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, you figure you'll get a basic level of hot food options that can save you time and money and be convenient in the morning over having to go out. At least in the past you'd get the normal liquid eggs and sausage or similar options. Now, you get this:

I've experienced this new breakfast at two FIs in the last month and each time it's been so disappointing. The ham and cheese and egg croissant manages to not only be tasteless but it's half frozen. Not the way one wants to start their day.
The SeaTac Fairfield Inn was serving something similar but without the packaged goods.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by JBa
My mantra for years has been you get what you pay for with free breakfast.

I only ever grab it if I'm time crunched.
JBa likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Unfortunately, yes Residence Inn is included in the new "enhanced" breakfast offering. It is a phased roll out but eventually all FI, RI, SHS, and TPS properties will have the same poor offering (unless Marriott decides to course correct during the rollout).

The better breakfast at RI was a major part of the value proposition for me. Even on business trips where I don't need a larger room, sometimes I would still chose RI for a better breakfast even though I only earned half the points. No longer have a reason to do that.

Foe leisure trips with my family, RI's typically larger rooms is still a benefit though SHS rooms are also larger. We just like the layout of most RI rooms better than SHS rooms.

Since there is now very minimal differentiation between the extended stay brands RI & TPS vs. FI & SHS, they should now increase the earning to 10 points per $ on RI & TPS to make them on par. Yes I know Element is another extended stay brand in the Marriott portfolio. I know less about them and haven't stayed at one yet. Also don't think they are included in the new "enhanced" breakfast rollout. At least not yet. So the value prop. for Element vs RI & TPS may be different. My two cents....

--Jon
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Unfortunately, yes Residence Inn is included in the new "enhanced" breakfast offering. It is a phased roll out but eventually all FI, RI, SHS, and TPS properties will have the same poor offering (unless Marriott decides to course correct during the rollout).

The better breakfast at RI was a major part of the value proposition for me. Even on business trips where I don't need a larger room, sometimes I would still chose RI for a better breakfast even though I only earned half the points. No longer have a reason to do that.

Foe leisure trips with my family, RI's typically larger rooms is still a benefit though SHS rooms are also larger. We just like the layout of most RI rooms better than SHS rooms.

Since there is now very minimal differentiation between the extended stay brands RI & TPS vs. FI & SHS, they should now increase the earning to 10 points per $ on RI & TPS to make them on par. Yes I know Element is another extended stay brand in the Marriott portfolio. I know less about them and haven't stayed at one yet. Also don't think they are included in the new "enhanced" breakfast rollout. At least not yet. So the value prop. for Element vs RI & TPS may be different. My two cents....

--Jon
We stayed at our first Element recently and I don't know if this is par for all of them, but on our weeknight there was beer, wine, cheese and crackers and trail mix, and the breakfast was almost all baked goods and fruit, there was ONE hot item, cooked to order, and we thought it was terrible - it was a sweet potato hash, and had we had been as smart as some of the people we saw ordering after us we could have parsed out the ingredients like eggs and turkey sausage and just had that. But the hash itself was awful.

I now won't stay at any more SHS - never liked the opaque bathroom door shining light into the bedroom at night, now without a decent breakfast there's no reason to be there.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:16 pm

I've generally sought out Residence Inn as my first preference, but then either Springhill or Fairfield as a backup because of the breakfast offering. No status so no perks for me from the full service hotels.

But honestly I may just stick with Hampton Inn going forward if this is what's on offer now.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I now won't stay at any more SHS - never liked the opaque bathroom door shining light into the bedroom at night, now without a decent breakfast there's no reason to be there.
While I also don't like the opaque bathroom door, I haven't totally eliminated SHS over it. I do give it the lowest ranking vs. FI, RI, and TPS. I liked the older SHS designs better (at least the bathroom). I don't mind the "West Elm" furniture in the sitting area. The lighting design in the SHS rooms has also gone downhill.
Since FI are more ubiquitous than SHS and many FI's have junior suites available, there is little reason to go SHS.

--Jon
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've stayed in a lot of SHS's over the years - we like the layout that has two queens plus a sofabed, something that's harder to find at other brands. But I'm really growing to hate all of the prepackaged breakfast options. They may be reducing costs to the operator, but that isn't getting passed on in the form of reduced room rates to me. The rooms are getting more expensive, so I expect the product to at least not deteriorate.

But then again, I've seen the comments from the Marriott CEO, so I know this is part of the trend of commoditizing the product and prioritizing the owners above all else.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
We stayed at FI Durango last week. Breakfast did not have those packaged items. There were cheese omelets, sausage patties or bacon (rotating), biscuits and gravy (only 1 batch of gravy which tends to run out fast), waffle stuff, fruits, yogurts and packaged muffins. We found the selection to be adequate.

Dodge City TPS had those packaged items plus sausage patties and scrambled eggs. I just went with sausage patties and waffles and Greek yogurt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.