Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Old Aug 26, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by 1mileman
every brand has brand standards they must follow but there is a minimum standard. some properties may provide more than the minimum
Makes sense, thanks. I believe he said he was 'required' to follow the standards so perhaps it was a requirement laid down by the owner of the local franchise.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:00 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
This might also be related to food safety standards which can be different for fresh cut fruit than for fruit that has an uncut peel (whole apples and bananas). Food safety enforcement can also vary by locality so may result in apparent differences in properties that have the same "brand standard".
Old Aug 28, 2023, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've seen cut up fruit in chilled serving bowls at several fairfields since Covid.
rtpflyer and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Makes sense, thanks. I believe he said he was 'required' to follow the standards so perhaps it was a requirement laid down by the owner of the local franchise.
its marriott that sets the standards, not the franchisee or owner of the hotel
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by 1mileman
its marriott that sets the standards, not the franchisee or owner of the hotel
I doubt that anyone would disagree that Marriott sets the Marriott standards. I'll rephrase my comment: "I believe he said he could not go beyond Marriott's minimum standards." Or something to that effect.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I doubt that anyone would disagree that Marriott sets the Marriott standards. I'll rephrase my comment: "I believe he said he could not go beyond Marriott's minimum standards." Or something to that effect.
I have heard that statement from a GM before too but I think it's how they interpret the rules.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yeah, I assume that brand standards are MINIMUM standards. It's not like Marriott is going to punish a Fairfield Inn for doing something unusually nice for their guests.

Over the years, I've occasionally had a hotel in the Hampton/Fairfield/HIX tier go a little above and beyond. Warm cookies at check-in, slightly enhanced offerings at breakfast, coupon for a free drink when they're part of a larger development that has a bar, wine tasting coupons for area wineries, etc. It's not common by any stretch but hotels CAN do little things, if they care enough to do so.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The manager told me he wasn't allowed to bring it back since it wasn't yet part of the current Marriott "standards".
When anyone on a hotel staff claims that the property would like to provide a better experience for guests -- whether that involves food, elite benefits, or anything else -- but the evil executives at Marriott HQ won't allow it, then, almost certainly, that staff member is lying.
yyzflyer, SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
When anyone on a hotel staff claims that the property would like to provide a better experience for guests -- whether that involves food, elite benefits, or anything else -- but the evil executives at Marriott HQ won't allow it, then, almost certainly, that staff member is lying.
but its not marriott hq not allowing it, its the franchisees/management company.. they want to save as much $ as possibly since their financial backing is smaller than marriott hq with their billions.... and billions of dollars
hedoman and Jiatong like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by Horace
This was an ongoing problem at a mid-tier property I spend time at every year - a location with a number of Platinum and Titanium regulars. Of course we compared notes and finally a group member with connections to Marriott went to local management and told them to knock it off. We'll see if it has had any effect this year, but I'm not optimistic.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Yeah, I assume that brand standards are MINIMUM standards. It's not like Marriott is going to punish a Fairfield Inn for doing something unusually nice for their guests.
For some things, brand standards are the bare minimums, or they are guidelines. But for a lot of other things, they are very much an edict of you need to buy item X from this very, very short list of corporately approved vendors, period, or be doing Y without deviation or excuses. To answer your comment and the comment from the poster below you, yes, a property can be punished via the QA process for trying to do more than what is required. IME, this is more likely when everyone is on the same payroll with the parent company managing the building and of course also doing the audits.

Here's a data point: Many years ago, I'm working at a RI and the property failed the entire F&B section of a QA audit which in essence failed the hotel for the entire property audit. Why? For doing the weekly Manager's Reception Cookout on the wrong day of the week, offering more than the required number of proteins at the cookout, offering dessert with every meal along with too many sides which says nothing about getting dinged for too many juice and yogurt options at breakfast along with too many oatmeal toppings. I was blamed for some of this since I was the Desk Supervisor in charge of putting together the monthly menus. We were always within the budget while attempting to do a little extra for guests based on the feedback we were receiving. Our GSS scores were very good, but obviously after the QA fail, we went hardcore by the book, because we had to. All menus until the next audit had to be approved in advance by the Area Director for Extended Stay Hotels in the region and the GM of the property was written up. Soon after she left the company and today is a Director of Revenue Management with IHG. There are other examples, believe me. The reason why properties can be skittish about doing more, aside from the obvious of the owner/management company saying no strictly on the grounds of cost, is that while all brand standards are in black and white for all to see, each GM-management company-owner-QA auditor-Corporate Stuffed Suit will interpret certain things wildly different. Guess right and things are ok. Guess wrong and it can be the Spanish Inquisition.

Post Starwood merger, things like this are less likely to happen because the company has gotten so large as to be, IMHO, basically unmanageable. But to think that it can't happen or to say that a staff member is lying if they mention that they aren't allowed is not even close to reality because it can happen. At the property, you can try to enhance things, you just need to make sure you're not dumb enough to get caught or that you have the blessing from someone at a regional or corporate level who will, in writing, give their blessing to your enhancement before the next QA auditor is telling you to stop it immediately because you're in violation of infinity number of standards points.

Last edited by The Road Goes On Forever; Sep 7, 2023 at 5:56 pm
Old Sep 8, 2023, 9:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I *want* to like the above post because it is so informative but I can't *like* a post that just makes me so angry.
joshua362, SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 11, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm currently at the Fairfield at SEA-TAC and it's fine. Weak coffee, THREE hot options (not prepackaged - Swiss and spinach quiche which was good, scrambled eggs, and a ham and cheese croissant sandwich). Nothing sweet, however - no donuts, waffles, etc. There are bagels but toaster is broken. Oatmeal with lots of toppings. Cereal, yogurt....that's about it but it's enough.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.