Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Sad State of Fairfield Inn Breakfast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Obviously you don't stay at a FI expecting haute cuisine. But, like when you stay at a similar Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, you figure you'll get a basic level of hot food options that can save you time and money and be convenient in the morning over having to go out. At least in the past you'd get the normal liquid eggs and sausage or similar options. Now, you get this:

I've experienced this new breakfast at two FIs in the last month and each time it's been so disappointing. The ham and cheese and egg croissant manages to not only be tasteless but it's half frozen. Not the way one wants to start their day.
yscleo, boss315, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CMK10
Obviously you don't stay at a FI expecting haute cuisine. But, like when you stay at a similar Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, you figure you'll get a basic level of hot food options that can save you time and money and be convenient in the morning over having to go out. At least in the past you'd get the normal liquid eggs and sausage or similar options. Now, you get this:

I've experienced this new breakfast at two FIs in the last month and each time it's been so disappointing. The ham and cheese and egg croissant manages to not only be tasteless but it's half frozen. Not the way one wants to start their day.
Did you provide feedback to the front desk at checkout? Unclear if the FI operators think that this is better than the liquid/precooked eggs, sausage patties, etc.

David
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:32 pm

More importantly was there a waffle iron. If they get rid of the waffle iron then they have just gone too far!
jsrdelta and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Did you provide feedback to the front desk at checkout? Unclear if the FI operators think that this is better than the liquid/precooked eggs, sausage patties, etc.

David
Not directly, but I always write a TA review and I was pretty clear about it there. I wish Marriott sent more surveys because I'd mention it there too.
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium United Silver
I almost completely avoid these properties now. My wife has a lot of food allergies and before we could always count on fruit, bacon (sometimes chicken sausage, and breakfast potatoes depending on how they were cooked. Now she can't eat any of the breakfast foods besides the fruit. I always fill out the surveys and leave reviews.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
When the Marriott CEO declares that his customers (hotel owners) are more important than the end customers (guests), this is what you get
dw, hedoman, SPN Lifer and 21 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:13 pm

But look at all that plastic wrap keeping you safe!
Tanic, lsquare, joeags and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:42 pm

I checked out of a FI in Seattle this morning and my experience was just as bad. They had one chafing dish filled with the english muffin sandwiches all pre-opened and warmed, the other with "jalapeno cheese souffles" I was down at 7:30 and they were already absolutely dry as a bone and the tops of the "souffles" were inedible from being overcooked.

There was also a sign posted in the elevator explaining "Marriott Brand Standards" for housekeeping is no longer daily. It was kind of comical considering my rate was about $400 a night all in after parking.
makin'miles, Tanic and uanj like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I am currently staying at a SHS in NYC with the same sad state of affairs. They still have oatmeal and cold cereal. This is all part of the new breakfast rollout across FI, SHS, RI, & TPS brands which is projected to save operators %15 to %20 on breakfast costs IIRC. Of course, Marriott spun it as an enhanced breakfast based on customer feedback. In reality it is just another downgrade and reduction in service. YMMV...

--Jon
Tanic, pinniped, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The pictures in the press release looked amazing: https://news.marriott.com/news/2021/...-select-brands

i stayed at a Fairfield inn a few weeks ago and have to agree, it’s dreadful.
Tanic and Jon Maiman like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Not directly, but I always write a TA review and I was pretty clear about it there. I wish Marriott sent more surveys because I'd mention it there too.
And then if the franchisee responds at all, it will be a copy and paste response along the lines of:

"We're sorry that you were unhappy with <issue>. I have brought your comments up with my team to ensure that we will be able to better serve you in the future."
dw, hedoman, Tanic and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Easyjet Flight Club
Originally Posted by donotblink
The pictures in the press release looked amazing: https://news.marriott.com/news/2021/...-select-brands

i stayed at a Fairfield inn a few weeks ago and have to agree, it’s dreadful.
”We are pleased to introduce our new complimentary breakfast that offers mouthwatering, customizable options with an eye towards sustainability.””
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold

Are they supposedly kept wam in those repurposed chafing dishes? Or is there a microwave where you heat them yourself? I've only stuck with Marriott because of the breakfast at these lower end properties (we're only Gold so don't get breakfast anywhere else) but if I have to eat a still half-frozen quiche I'm done.
rt23456p and Norexan like this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: airline agnostic, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, DL defector, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
One of the reasons that Marriott has slipped to #3 on my list of preferred programs. For work, my budget is usually FI/Courtyard/HIX/Hampton. At least with Hampton and HIX i can (most of the time) know what to expect. Not fine dining, but consistent. Current preferences are now Hilton, IHG and then Marriott. Sad that they have fallen so far.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:01 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I'm not very experienced in limited service properties that serve free breakfasts, so apologies for the ignorance. I'm also not trying to start a flame war between Marriott vs. Hyatt. However, I'm legitimately curious - do Hyatt Places offer similar pre-packaged breakfast options. I seem to remember this from a stay many years ago as a child - I don't remember a real breakfast area even. At least, the one and only Hyatt House I've stayed at had an omelet station.

Regardless, this is a negative trend, for sure. The one and only time I've ever had to remove breakfast food from my mouth was a premade breakfast burrito at Hotel Kansas City (premade is very rarely good).
flyme2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.